How to add loaded chamber indicator to M39 S&W

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

How to add loaded chamber indicator to M39 S&W

Post by crs »

For Sixgun or any pistol smiths that know the Model 39 and can answer my question.

I am asking because I have two auto loaders that have this feature and it looks to be a simple mechanism. Their simple implementation provides a trouble free tactile and visual loaded/not loaded answer. Those are an old Llama .380 and a new XDE- 9 9mm.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: How to add loaded chamber indicator to M39 S&W

Post by Sixgun »

That's a good thought CRS.......it's over my head but I bet our board member Gunny, the real deal trained gunsmith could figure it out...I might be able to change the grips.... :D .....I just had one of those 39's over here a few weeks ago.....buddy found one in his barn that was rust frozen with a loaded round in the chamber.....must have been there since the sixties....I got it working pretty good......pulled the hammer back, pointed it at the ground, turned my head and bam!!! ....that baby went off nicely....help to loosen things up a bit....

Funny thing, he handed it to me like it was a piece of crystal....very gingerly.......I said, "give me the damm thing you P." :D

I have issues with a loaded cartridge indicator........to me, it's like a fuel tank gauge in your car.......I'd rather have to be forced to pay attention to what's in the gun rather than depending on a gauge/indicater.

Off the subject I do not agree with Jeff Cooper who said a double action auto is a solution to a non existent problem....it's nice to just leave the gun loaded with the safety off and go with d.a. on the first shot. I presently keep a early model 59 holstered to the bed post.....that gun has eaten everything I've ever put in it....

Now, you behave down there CRS.....after the election your gonna need all those guns so keep em oiled up.----6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well, I'm not familiar with a 39, I vaguely remember hands on a 59.
So let me get this right, you WANT to add a loaded indicator? To a gun without one? Or you want to know how it works?

I've always just looked / felt the extractor or just ease the slide back. Like Six I'd much rather see brass in the barrel by opening the gun then relying on an added piece some engineer designed as a legalistic waste of material.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nothing I'd need, but the most seamless one I've seen is the one Springfield Armory uses.
It's just a tiny notch in the rear of the barrel hood, letting you see the brass of a cartridge rim.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.