6.5 Creedmoor in a Levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

6.5 Creedmoor in a Levergun

Post by AJMD429 »

https://youtu.be/o3-eWkKp4Oc

Kind of intriguing...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor in a Levergun

Post by gcs »

It is.... Now I always hate it when naysayers claim "we don't need that, or, it's only a solution to a non problem" or some such,..but, that cartridge in that package.....?

Now if they stuck that in a really nice single shot.... :mrgreen:
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

I was thinking of getting a .308, and down loading to 30/30 levels for fun, club range is only 100 yds.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Wish the L.O.P. on henry rifles wasn't so long. Almost an inch longer than my Winnie.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
kragluver
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kragluver »

I have a bolt action in 6.5 Crdmr. It's a flat shooting son of a gun. Great for long range. Chambering a lever gun in it seems silly to me. My leverguns are for close in brush hunting. Not saying a lever couldn't do it ... just seems like a mis- match to me.

Just my 2 cents
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It's a dandy option. But, don't trade in your .243 unless you're shooting past 700 yards. :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Nothing against the Creedmoor but I’ll stick with the 260 REM in ANY action if I want a short action 6.5mm .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have to give Henry credit for offering all of the different firearms that they do. they have listened to a lot of what people said they wanted and delivered. All with excellent customer service.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Yawn. Another new whiz bang rifle/caliber option. And as much as some might not want to hear it, who needs it? Only a bunch of similar calibers already in existence for decades that are great.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If someone wants one, GO FOR IT! I don't want to ever stop someone from legally purchasing a firearm. Have fun and tell us about it.

I am thinking seriously about getting a Long Ranger in .308 just because I do not have a .308 in anything. My biggest issue is that I have not yet figured out how to sneak the receipt past the Swiss Banker that I am married to.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

marlinman93 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:26 am Yawn. Another new whiz bang rifle/caliber option. And as much as some might not want to hear it, who needs it? Only a bunch of similar calibers already in existence for decades that are great.
I certainly agree with you on the one hand . But then again on the other hand the 6 and 6.5 CM seem to be bringing new life into the shooting industry . All be it thru the tacticool steel plate crowd , but who am I to talk down on those that like a discipline I really have no use for . I will say this for the 6.5 CM all of them I’ve messed with have been very accurate but all of them were Savage LRP’s with a big old fat barrel a lite trigger and handloads . And with that being said I have a Savage LRP in 260 REM I bought used that will shoot as well as any of the 6.5 CM’s I messed with . I’ve come close a couple times to buying a 6.5 CM and have always come up with a reason not to . Same for the 6mm CM vs the 243 , I’ll always go for the 243 over the 6 CM . The CM case or the basic 308 case both have their own attributes I just prefer to stick with ones around my age .
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

My Son in law bought an inexpensive Savage 6.5 last year . I really didn't expect much . crazy accurate , very low recoil , and reasonable ammo in most places. I was dumbfounded... :D . never too old to learn.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

6pt-sika wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:01 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:26 am Yawn. Another new whiz bang rifle/caliber option. And as much as some might not want to hear it, who needs it? Only a bunch of similar calibers already in existence for decades that are great.
I certainly agree with you on the one hand . But then again on the other hand the 6 and 6.5 CM seem to be bringing new life into the shooting industry . All be it thru the tacticool steel plate crowd , but who am I to talk down on those that like a discipline I really have no use for . I will say this for the 6.5 CM all of them I’ve messed with have been very accurate but all of them were Savage LRP’s with a big old fat barrel a lite trigger and handloads . And with that being said I have a Savage LRP in 260 REM I bought used that will shoot as well as any of the 6.5 CM’s I messed with . I’ve come close a couple times to buying a 6.5 CM and have always come up with a reason not to . Same for the 6mm CM vs the 243 , I’ll always go for the 243 over the 6 CM . The CM case or the basic 308 case both have their own attributes I just prefer to stick with ones around my age .
I'm a big fan of cartridges in the 6mm-6.5mm size. But there are plenty of them out there that I already love, so I have no interest in the 6.5 Creedmoor. And honesty I was a bit put off by the name right from the get go as a firearms history buff. A Creedmoor rifle was a big old BP cartridge like the .44-77 Rem-Sharps, .44-90, .44-100, or .45-100, and not a puny little 6.5 caliber. Stealing the Creedmoor name to embellish and market their new cartridge just irritates me a bit.
I love the old 6.5x55mm rifle cartridge, and in an Improved it's even better. Not like the new 6.5, but the Improved 6.5x55 will certainly hold it's own in a well built bolt action. Even the old .243 Win. is a fantastic cartridge that's become overlooked by today's young shooters.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Well the 6.5 Creedmoor is probably the hottest selling centerfire rifle cartridge introduced in the last fifty years. It only makes sense for Henry to chamber it in their new short action box mag rifle.

I haven't used the cartridge but my thoughts are that it's a mild, efficient, fairly versatile effective hunting cartridge. It may be slightly better designed for long range target shooting than the 260, but 260s still win matches. I think it's a better game cartridge than any 24 or 25 cal just by virtue of bullet weight. I don't think it's a better hunting cartridge than say a 270, 7mm-08, 260, or 308. The 260 is pretty dead in sporters and the Creedmoor is pretty much identical in performance. Personally I would prefer 260 because you can use 243, 7mm-08, or 308 brass.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

I have a Weatherby Back Country rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. Aside all of the hoopla, it's a nice cartridge. The 6.5 Swede, 260 Rem & 6.5 CM are all very close in overall performance. I was looking for a 260, but the only way I could get that caliber in a rifle I liked was to rebarrel and I really didn't want to bother with that, so....
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

It is nice to have options. I like the fact that Henry stepped up bringing alternate cartridges to leverguns after Marlin stopped doing it. I was thinking about buying a Long Ranger in 6.5 Creedmoore for my nephew. I would prefer one in 338 Federal for myself. It's not like I need another caliber in a levergun but it is just fun to change it up every once in a while.
:D
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BenT wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:27 pm It is nice to have options. I like the fact that Henry stepped up bringing alternate cartridges to leverguns after Marlin stopped doing it. I was thinking about buying a Long Ranger in 6.5 Creedmoore for my nephew. I would prefer one in 338 Federal for myself. It's not like I need another caliber in a levergun but it is just fun to change it up every once in a while.
:D
Funny you should mention the 338 another of my favs on the 308 case ! I’ve got three 338 Federals an AR-10 a Savage Hog Hunter and another Savage bolt combo gun I bought when Jerrys went out of buisness . Strangely I like the 243 , 260 , 7-08 and 338 Federal . I however don’t like the 308 even though I own one and do t care for the 358 WIN but do like the rimmed version 356 WIN . Nothing wrong with the 308 and 358 just for some reason I never liked them . Had a Ruger 77R tang safety in 358 thst I bought NIB forty years ago it was okay just never spoke to me so to speak . I’ve had a bunch of 308’s in various configurations and while I like the Mannlicher Schoenauer MCA I have in 308 it’s more about the rifle itself rather than the cartridge .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The one and only best thing I can say about the 6mm or 6.5mm CM’s are they are creating sales for the dealers and intrest with the 16 or so to 40 crowd . At the risk of sounding stereotypical that group tends to want the tacticool junk etc etc . When we do DCP on one place there are two brothers that “hunt” with us both under 40 and both come out to hunt looking like the walked off the movie set for Sniper . And when they so called “hunt” they sit in the bed of their pickups with a bench and a rifle I wouldn’t want to carry 25 yards . To each his own !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

44shooter wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:40 pm Well the 6.5 Creedmoor is probably the hottest selling centerfire rifle cartridge introduced in the last fifty years. It only makes sense for Henry to chamber it in their new short action box mag rifle.

I haven't used the cartridge but my thoughts are that it's a mild, efficient, fairly versatile effective hunting cartridge. It may be slightly better designed for long range target shooting than the 260, but 260s still win matches. I think it's a better game cartridge than any 24 or 25 cal just by virtue of bullet weight. I don't think it's a better hunting cartridge than say a 270, 7mm-08, 260, or 308. The 260 is pretty dead in sporters and the Creedmoor is pretty much identical in performance. Personally I would prefer 260 because you can use 243, 7mm-08, or 308 brass.
Okay in my years of messing with the 260 and to a far lesser degree the 6.5 CM . Accuracy in equal rifles will be about the same . In a tacticool rifle where speed in reloading isn’t an issue the CM can come close to equally the 260 in velocity by seating the bullet out as far as you can . In a hunting rifle where you want to fit in the magazine box the CM will not reach same velocities in an identical rifle to a 260 . I have never killed a deer or hunted with a CM but I see no reason it wouldn’t do the job . The thing that isn’t always noticed about the 260 vs 6.5 CM and the 243 vs 6 CM thing is barrel twist . What was considered correct years ago for the 260 and 243 has been stepped up for the CM’s basically for the tacticool crowd that want high BC bullets that weigh more . Now that you can get a faster twist barrel for a 260 or 243 that’s a moot point . You’ll find a gun like my 6mm-06 with its 1:7.5 barrel is a thumper with the Berger 115 VLD bullet a 6 CM usually leaves the factory with a twist capable of handling that bullet . So with that being said you can kinda skew things , the only 25 cal I really like is the 25-06 which has never given me an issue on Deer when using 115-117 grain polymer tipped bullets . As I’m sure you’re well aware deer are not hard to kill if you put the bullet where it should be . Christ I’ve seen things done with the itty bitty 6.5 Grendel that two years ago I’d have said was a lie on deer . As to your last point in favor of the 260 because of brass if I wanted a couple thousand pieces sure that’s a consideration but at the moment I’ve pretty much gone to Lapua brass for all my 260’s even the AR and I keep 50-100 pieces segregated for each gun . I’m slowly moving to Lapua for any of the guns I shoot often and that they make the brass for . True that you’re gonna SPR and $75-125 for 100 pieces but in the whole scheme of things for a rifle you most likely now will have about $1500 or more tied up in the extra $100 for brass is a minor thing or atleast the way I look at it . But I digress . Best of luck to whomever does whatever they want as long as it doesn’t affect others that don’t wanna be affected .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

TraderVic wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:19 pm I have a Weatherby Back Country rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. Aside all of the hoopla, it's a nice cartridge. The 6.5 Swede, 260 Rem & 6.5 CM are all very close in overall performance. I was looking for a 260, but the only way I could get that caliber in a rifle I liked was to rebarrel and I really didn't want to bother with that, so....
Nothing wrong with your choice ! I think I’ve only got four 260’s at the moment . An AR , a Remington Model 7 , Remington 700 5R HB and a Savage LRP HB . Oops I forgot the wife’s Savage Model 11 LH combo I bought when Jerrys went belly up . Anyway they’re all factory and granted none may fit your parameters , as to the rebarrel thing I kinda wanna build a 700 with a medium weight stainless 1:8 barrel finished at 20-22” but that’s down the road .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

marlinman93 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:44 pm I love the old 6.5x55mm rifle cartridge, and in an Improved it's even better. Not like the new 6.5, but the Improved 6.5x55 will certainly hold it's own in a well built bolt action.
I have no qualms with the 6.5x55 . I’ve got a very lightly used CZ550 FS in 6.5x55 that’s shoots amazingly well for a half stock rifle not taking into account that’s its mannlicher stocked . I also have five not messed with Swedish Mausers that shoot exceptionally well with military iron sights . Granted I shoot handloads in all six .
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

6pt-sika wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 1:36 am
marlinman93 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:44 pm I love the old 6.5x55mm rifle cartridge, and in an Improved it's even better. Not like the new 6.5, but the Improved 6.5x55 will certainly hold it's own in a well built bolt action.
I have no qualms with the 6.5x55 . I’ve got a very lightly used CZ550 FS in 6.5x55 that’s shoots amazingly well for a half stock rifle not taking into account that’s its mannlicher stocked . I also have five not messed with Swedish Mausers that shoot exceptionally well with military iron sights . Granted I shoot handloads in all six .
I was "sitting on the fence" pondering the CZ 550 FS in 6.5 x 55 when CZ quit making them.....oh well. Maybe a used one will drift by. One of these in 260 would make a dandy rifle. Always have liked the mannlicher rifles.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

TraderVic wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 5:41 am
6pt-sika wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 1:36 am
I was "sitting on the fence" pondering the CZ 550 FS in 6.5 x 55 when CZ quit making them.....oh well. Maybe a used one will drift by. One of these in 260 would make a dandy rifle. Always have liked the mannlicher rifles.
The only negative thing I can say about that rifle is the buttstock contour , it’s got that hog back stock and it isn’t the best for a scoped rifle . Now with that being said if I ever run across a decent 550 FS in 9.3x62 that I can afford it’s going in my accumulation !