VT Primitive Biathlon -- Snowshoes & Blackpowder

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

VT Primitive Biathlon -- Snowshoes & Blackpowder

Post by Old No7 »

My twin and I last ran in a Primitive Biathlon together (wood/rawhide snowshoes, with blackpowder rifles) 5 or 6 years ago in NH, and he's been encouraging me to join him for the event held in Southern VT that he'd been participating in for 10 years or so. I'm glad I went this winter, as it gave me a reason to cut back on the Jack and to exercise more over the last couple of months, but it was also great to spend the weekend with him and his shooting buddies.

He again went as a French trapper, while I went as a Union First Sergeant, but I added some to my kit from many years ago. Back then, I only had the kepi, shirt and a wool vest (with blue jeans) -- but I did carry an original 1862 Cavalry Saber. The vest alone wasn't warm enough back then, even when running, so I added a wool roundabout jacket, wool scarf and wool Sergeant's trousers this year. And I needed all of it, as it was 5 degrees out at sunup and only got into the low 20s in the sun at midday. Here we are the last time out:

( Click on any image to enlarge )

Old Biathlon.jpg

This year, instead of shooting the TC Cherokee .45 caplock that I ran with last time, he loaned me his 2-band (Navy Arms/Zoli replica) Remington 1863 Contract Rifle, aka the "Zouave", .58 caliber rifled musket to use (which I eventually bought from him), which fit my persona and kit much better. So of course, I had to get a Zouave bayonet, a cap case and some other gear to complete the look:

3 (Small).jpg

Here's my twin and I before we started off on the course (he really loves the fur Badger hat he got a few years back). Like typically twins/brothers, he didn't like my gear and much preferred his, while I didn't like his and preferred mine. But he's got 6 or 7 French Indian War era smoothbores or rifles, while I also like leverguns, so identical twins or not, I guess we each like what we like. I got called "Sarge" often all day, but as my late father was a Tech Sergeant, I was OK with that.

1 (Small).jpg

Being from Maine, I just had to add a brass "20" above the brass infantry horn on my kepi for the "20th Maine" even if it's not historically accurate. I sure was glad I'd found that navy blue wool Germany Navy scarf to keep my head & ears warm though, as I needed it that day (Saturday the 15th). Here I am fiddling for a musket cap from the cap case before firing:

6 (Small).jpg

Lastly, here's a perfectly timed image of my twin firing the .62 cal Tulle smoothbore that he'd recently finished from a kit -- the gun is very nice, and the flames are pretty cool to see!

10 (Small).jpg

Overall, none of us shot as well on the course as we did in practice at the range in the days and weeks before. Oh well... But the camaraderie with the guys and gals at the event, and with his friends at breakfast or in the evenings for dinner and brews (or Jack, of course!) sure made it a great weekend overall. I'll plan to attend again next year, but for sure, I will run & exercise much more and practice with the Zouave offhand -- after running around the range parking lot a few times to get winded and to get my heart rate up. That type of hard practice might be what it takes to help my scores.

Cheers!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: VT Primitive Biathlon -- Snowshoes & Blackpowder

Post by Nath »

Most excellent.

Think I see the ball in front of your brother's muzzle blast.

N. 8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Looks like a lot of fun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

that, right there, looks like FUN!

fwiw, a lot of guys I know swear they use up all of their good shots during practice sessions, so they do all their load development during a completion. Funny thing, they never do place very high on the winners list. :?:
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Looks like a HOOT!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That looks like an excellent way to make smoke and have a barrel of laughs too.... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

I did it twice 2010 and 2012 I think. What great fun! I was quick on the course and somewhat lacking in the marksmanship area on my first outing (to say the least! - I think my best station was two hits and I was skunked on at least one) with a Hawken 50 replica. My second outing was much improved but still not competitive. Then we moved out West.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

My blood thinned moving down south a quarter century ago. I am reasonably sure my blood would freeze at 5 degrees - with a high of 20!

Looks like a lot of fun though! Apparently you liked the Zouave since you bought it from your brother. Hanging in my office (which you've seen) is the one that belonged to my father, a Navy Arms import way back when. I also bought one off my Uncle many years ago that is in Y2K's safe. :D

Now I'm itching to go make smoke... only in MUCH warmer conditions! :wink: