missing s/n

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
roughcreek
Levergunner 2.0

missing s/n

Post by roughcreek »

What can you do when you come across a gun with no serial number. Or a Marlin with a tang sight and someone drilled through one of the numbers to install it.
I sure wanted that Marlin but unsure of the missing digit so passed.

Thanks
Roughcreek
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: missing s/n

Post by Ray »

I recently ran into the same problem......

We called the missing, bored through numeral a zero and had no problems......

Have had dozens of fed. checks with "nsn" listed on the 4473 with no problems.....

If you collect house brand firearms like j.c. higgins or revelation you'll see a lot of .22s, and single and bolt shotguns without numbers.....

they weren't even required federally until 01 jan. 1969 but some states insisted well before then.....
m.A.g.a. !
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

In the case of the Marlin the fix was simple. You could have simply pulled the stocks and look for the whole serial number on the wood. Marlin marks serial numbers in multiple places, so it's easy to find them elsewhere. Then the hole could be filled and the missing digit engraved back on the tang.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

marlinman93 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:13 am In the case of the Marlin the fix was simple. You could have simply pulled the stocks and look for the whole serial number on the wood. Marlin marks serial numbers in multiple places, so it's easy to find them elsewhere. Then the hole could be filled and the missing digit engraved back on the tang.
Could that possibly cause some future problem when LE sees an altered SN?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
roughcreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by roughcreek »

Thanks guys, next time I won't hesitate to buy.
Roughcreek
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Blaine wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:21 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:13 am In the case of the Marlin the fix was simple. You could have simply pulled the stocks and look for the whole serial number on the wood. Marlin marks serial numbers in multiple places, so it's easy to find them elsewhere. Then the hole could be filled and the missing digit engraved back on the tang.
Could that possibly cause some future problem when LE sees an altered SN?
I had the opportunity to talk with an ATF agent about this very topic. He told me, "If you didn't alter the serial number, you're OK to repair it and make every attempt to correct the problem."
He said the party who alters a serial number is the one they go after. I also asked about the question of altering serial numbers as it applies to modern and antique arms. Since it's also a violation to possess firearms where a serial number has been altered. He told me that falls back to his original statement. It needs to be fixed on any post 1898 firearm, as you're in violation if you don't.
That of course made me ask why "post 1898"? He said "Antique Firearms" are classified by BATF as "Non Guns". Thus the rules all relate to and specifically mention "firearms", which antique guns are not categorized as.
I've seen numerous antique rifles where serial numbers were damaged, worn off, or even drilled through. None of them are a problem IF you are sure they're "antique". But that brings up another issue. Say you own an 1885 Winchester High Wall with no serial number. Since these were built both as antiques and modern, there's no way to know which it is if the serial number is totally obliterated. If enough shows to determine the age, no problem. If not, it needs to be fixed, but only if you know what number was there before. I had an 1885 that had a broken tang. I needed to repair it by welding, and knew the serial number would be obliterated during the repair and polishing. I simply wrote it down, and did the repair. Then afterwards I gave the tang to an engraver, along with the old number. He put it back on. No harm, no fowl. If this wasn't OK, you'd have to throw away any gun needing such a repair.
In the case of guns known to never have been produced in post 1898, nothing needs to be done, and no serial numbers need fixing.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/