using 44 sp bulldog

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

using 44 sp bulldog

Post by JNG »

Getting together for a bow hunt for hogs.
I will like to use the Bulldog for back-up.
What load would you use?
wm
Senior Levergunner

Re: using 44 sp bulldog

Post by wm »

Well …… in a similar firearm (charter Arms 44 spl & a Ruger Blackhawk) I have had good success with a handload of 240 grain JSP (Speer or Remington) over a charge of 8.0 grains of Unique. But that's in my firearm and you should probably work your way up to that. Start maybe at 7.0 and move up incrementally and see how it goes.

If you are asking for a factory load ..... well Buffalo Bore loads a 200 grain full wadcutter that cuts a deep wound channel. Speer loads a 200 grain Gold Dot HP that has a good reputation. Both are suitable for use in the Charter Arms 44 & I hear they are highly regarded for their ability to induce the quit reflex in two legged varmints.

But honestly I'm not sure I have the best answer for this question. If you really want to research it I would refer to John Taffin's writings on the subject...… keeping in mind Charter Arms are not as tolerant of high pressures in the same way COLT SAA and Ruger Redhawks and Blackhawks are.

http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt44spec.htm

Wm
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I used an XTP on the only hog I ever shot. 44, 300 gr that went in and out with some expansion. However I learned from Hornady that the XTP is NOT for rifle velocities. My Henry 41 shoots the 210s very well but according to them 1800 fps will turn it inside out!
I'd stick to cast or jsp.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:28 am However I learned from Hornady that the XTP is NOT for rifle velocities. My Henry 41 shoots the 210s very well but according to them 1800 fps will turn it inside out!
I'd stick to cast or jsp.
They have worked great on pigs and deer shot with my Marlin, I would give them a go.

As to Bulldog loads, whatever you and your gun prefer, pigs are not that hard to kill other than big boars and if you are after them always have a tree you can climb close by.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Hope you take some "pitchers" of your hunt, JNG. A Bulldog is my concealed carry gun, but I honestly need to do more load work.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

8 gr. unique and a 240 gr. jacketed bullet is way out of charter arms bulldog territory !

here is a good report.....

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26718&p=331443#p331443
m.A.g.a. !