03A3 Stock Finish

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

03A3 Stock Finish

Post by Hawkeye2 »

I have a repro 03A3 stock with a NOS handguard and I'm planing on putting a gun together using a sporterized 03A3 (other than the stock unaltered) that I have. I was wondering what to finish the stock with that would look original. My thoughts are BLO and I have plenty on hand as well as the time to let it dry. Is there anythig better?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: 03A3 Stock Finish

Post by Sixgun »

I can't remember the brand but Brownells sells a stain for military stocks. It's advertised as stain for "military stocks with a hint of red". Just follow the instructions then put on a couple of coats of oil that's not glossy or filling. That's all, a couple of coats of the oil and leave it at that. You want the proper color that the stain gives ya and a little bit of protection from the oil. It will still look dull.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

I saw that stain and went to the manufacturers site, $15 for 8 oz. and $14.95 to ship it. :shock: I've got a dealer's account with Brownell's so I may check there.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I used to mix up a bit of Minwax Red Mahogany and Walnut for a pretty good color match. Then several coats of boiled linseed oil over it.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:19 am I can't remember the brand but Brownells sells a stain for military stocks. It's advertised as stain for "military stocks with a hint of red". Just follow the instructions then put on a couple of coats of oil that's not glossy or filling. That's all, a couple of coats of the oil and leave it at that. You want the proper color that the stain gives ya and a little bit of protection from the oil. It will still look dull.----6
Let me be the 1st (or another if already mentioned), to thank you for making your old avatar reappear!

Sorry Hawkeye for hijacking your query.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
roughcreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by roughcreek »

FAIRTRIMMER'S MILITARY oX STOCK OIL.
Works great. Don't know of a source these days.
Roughcreek
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I wouldn't worry about a stain. I'd just use the blo you have on hand. With time and enough applications, it's will look about as close to original as you can get.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

JB wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:18 pm I wouldn't worry about a stain. I'd just use the blo you have on hand. With time and enough applications, it's will look about as close to original as you can get.
That was my initial thought and I may just go with it. I'll check for a cheaper source of the stain (see my post above) and if I can't find one I think the oil will be just fine.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

The original finish was Linseed oil. If I recall correctly the only other option in those days was sperm whale oil and that's a bit tough to get these days. I wouldn't stain, they didn't.

Cat