The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: The Gun Room

Post by Sixgun »

Coming in for the kill.....Jay is back in town!!' there's a reason why you and I didn't live near each other.....I like that one...on mounting worn out tires and burning them up! Hell, we were too poor to have the money to buy and mount worn out tires. You guys used tires up there!!!! Hell, around here we would scout the farms for the old iron tires on tractors.

Ice up your way Gunny?.....looks like a mix here...ice to rain....just great.....I don't care what happens as I could stay here for 6 months without leaving and if I did have to leave it would be because of boredom......I'm running low on gas and diesel....maybe 25 gallons of gas and 15 of diesel, plus everything is filled to the brim. 10-15 cords of wood and I don't need nuttin'!

Ahhhhh ..what to do today? Moms in there cooking up my 4 eggs and toast....slept around the clock last night 1:30--1:30

Oh! Funny thing happened last night....about 1 I looked outside in the back yard which is a half acre fenced in and there's a fox on the back patio! Now, how'd he get in? I opened the door and hit him with the Surefire 900 and he took off.......I watched him run through a 4" gap bewtween the gate and the fence post like it was greased.......he ate up all the food scraps I put out for the birds.........gonna nail in a 4x4 today.....that should take me 'till dark.
Last edited by Sixgun on Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sometimes it just needs the battery to be charged a few times. Batteries that sit can have the plates get a coating of a sulfate. A few cycles of fully charging - then fully discharging- then fully charging again will often clean the plates and bring a battery back if the problem is from sitting and not being used. It may not help if the battery is too far gone.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Piller....I think that's why the battery in 'Ole Yeller" is lasting so long.....I never knew that....thank you.......I pop off the one cable now.....sitting it would discharge and then I'd fully charge up ...several times a year......

Gunny......what are you doing taking mom's car? Put her in yours! I demand that!!!!!
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:47 pm Coming in for the kill.....Jay is back in town!!' there's a reason why you and I didn't live near each other.....I like that one...on mounting worn out tires and burning them up! Hell, we were too poor to have the money to buy and mount worn out tires. You guys used tires up there!!!! Hell, around here we would scout the farms for the old iron tires on tractors.

Ice up your way Gunny?.....looks like a mix here...ice to rain....just great.....I don't care what happens as I could stay here for 6 months without leaving and if I did have to leave it would be because of boredom......I'm running low on gas and diesel....maybe 25 gallons of gas and 15 of diesel, plus everything is filled to the brim. 10-15 cords of wood and I don't need nuttin'!

Ahhhhh ..what to do today? Moms in there cooking up my 4 eggs and toast....slept around the clock last night 1:30--1:30

Oh! Funny thing happened last night....about 1 I looked outside in the back yard which is a half acre fenced in and there's a fox on the back patio! Now, how'd he get in? I opened the door and hit him with the Surefire 900 and he took off.......I watched him run through a 4" gap bewtween the gate and the fence post like it was greased.......he ate up all the food scraps I put out for the birds.........gonna nail in a 4x4 today.....that should take me 'till dark.

Oh no, no! We got em free out of the dumpster we got our burning tires from. Our bud owned the shop. He would mount em up for free too. Didn't bother to balance, we spun em true! :D

Well, I polished a 1911 extractor this afternoon. Kristy came home early! Computers and everything are down. Gotta love technology.
Starting to snow. Supposed to pick up some more this week. Like to get another ride in. Want to ride to the top of Coburn mountain. It's a long ride if I leave from the house.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:03 amLooks like Dallas is snow covered! With more to come.
I don't know about Dallas... but...
GOPR0209.JPG
GOPR0210.JPG
GOPR0211.jpg
GOPR0212.jpg
I don't think I'll be playing any golf!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey Griff!

Friend of mine lives down there. You know.......to get away from Maine winters haha.
She posted a picture on FB the other day sitting in a lawn chair drinking beer.
I told her big deal, I've drank plenty of beer sitting in the snow. We just bring a "warmer" instead of a cooler. :D

Anyway, she said her pipes were froze this morning.
Ten below here and my pipes are fine. :D
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

On the local news in Maine this morning they said Dallas Texas was colder than Portland Maine! :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Snow in Texas? That's a neat machine there....can I have it for winning page 158,57,56,and '55? Ahhh forget it...you left it to the elements......

Kristy came home early? Did she catch you cleaning my Colts?

"Your pipes are fine?" They should be, your only 50

Ahhh......got to get outside.....

How'd you all like Presidents Day down in Florida? Even President Trump got into the festivities by attending and thanking the people who have recognized who the REAL President is.-------........006
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I set you up AGAIN ! Geeze
Its easier for her to get in & out of the car than my truck. You know how it is when you need a walker, NOT a Walker!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

You know Gunny that this could be a record...like 4 in a row?....

I hear ya and I knew that........that's why I have my Jeep lifted.....keeps feeble minded or fat people from wanting to get in....
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Four in a row!?
Sounds like the fix is in! :D

Snowing now. Let's see what we get.
Really hasn't been much this year.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jay,
We have all heard about the Jeep death wobble.......Old Yeller did it one time in 160K and I fixed it with a steering stabilizer.

My 2005 Rubicon has never done it even with all the wrenching I did as to lift kit and big tires. Runs like a Cadillac. (NO! You can't have it!)

My nieces 2015 did it all the time even after the so called "fix". She sold it.

My daughter's 2019 Jeep did it the other day and it's fairly new with 4,950 miles on it. She made an appointment and dropped it off at the dealer today and they told her it's going to be several days. WTF is going on? Several days? What are they going to do, replace the entire front end? :D

You would think that after 75 years they would have the bugs worked out of a Jeep.

You ever hear anything that's not publicized?-----Yo 6 aba de due in de crib.....
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

No death wobble on my '88 or my '08. The 88 had the Peugeot trans that didn't stay in 3rd gear, swapped it for a Borg Warner. The 08 started using coolant, freeze plug on back of block. I sent both down the road.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I think a lot of the problem is there's a lot that can do it.
Jeeps with lots of miles usually do it because everything has some wear. Some never do.
Old Red has 178k on it and has never had any death wobble. My 03 Rubicon has 60k and never has.
Now, it is my theory that some are more susceptible to it than others. I think it goes back to geometry. Some inherent in the design of a small, lightweight, short wheelbase vehicle. But what triggers it more in some is tolerances in the build of individual vehicles.
I have done a lot of wrenching on TJ's and I've seen the differences in the 10 years of production. One example is where the 97 has skid pan bolts like lug nuts that self center to locate and align to the frame, the post 02's have bolts with flat washers. The skid pan only one round hole, the rest are slotted so variances in the frame and pan can be compensated for.
Crawl under any Jeep with a simple tape measure and start taking measurements in regards to axle location in relation to each other and the frame. Also castor angle. If it is off, it cannot be adjusted.
People take a solid axle to an alignment shop, pay them big bucks, and think they are getting something. The only thing that can be adjusted is the tow. You can do just as well in your garage. I do all mine. If you have adjustable control arms you can do a lot more, but most shops have no clue. I did mine with a tape measure and an angle finder.
The 4 link suspension that has been in use since 97 is way more flexible and capable than leaf springs, but it comes at a price. A lot is the old saying, "there is no free lunch". A capable off road vehicle is not going to drive and handle like a BMW.

Anyway...in your daughter's case, with so few miles, the FIRST thing I would do is check the front track bar mounts and bolt tightness on both ends. Then get under and watch both connections for play while someone cuts the wheels back and forth. See if the tires are wearing OK. If everything is tight and looks good, start taking measurements. Control arm bolts to axle on both sides, front and back.. Then control arm bolts to symmetrical references on the frame front and back. Some Jeeps are off more than you'd think. Every Jeep is different as to what makes it wobble, or if it does at all.
All my TJs have had a little shimmy between 47 to 52 to some varying degree. Four links are very weak laterally.

The only Ford I ever owned was an 88 Thunderbird SC with an HO 302. It was beautiful. Gloss black with red interior. Had every option. It also had a little shake at around 75-80 that could not be found or explained. Something in the factory geometry no doubt.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Now THATS what I call a detailed answer from a person in da know...Thank you Jay...you are now "Master Jay" or in English, "Sir Jay".

I just got done looking this stuff up and as you know, the "death wobble" has been around since like forever. Each era of Jeep had their own issues...never heard of it in the TJ series unless they were worn out.

There is currently a class action lawsuit from a woman in California concerning Jeeps from 2018-2020, including the Gladiator. Seems like a design flaw that Fiat Chrysler will not admit to........what Jeep is doing is putting on band aids like stabilizers, telling the people it's all OK and then hoping the warranty runs out and then it's the owner's problem. That is all documented.....many people are using the lemon laws to get their money back but that's only if your state has lemon laws.

At less than 5,000 miles there should be zero issues. When she goes to pick it up I'll be there to question the service department as to what they did and hopefully for them, they will have a valid answer. I can turn into an animal if I think I'm getting F over in favor of dividend checks for the wealthy investors. Yep...I'll be the guy out front on a major highway holding large signs, "Don't Buy This Junk".

Good thing no Rossi,Taurus, or Uberti dealerships are near here......f ing junk they have the nerve to call guns..J.U.N.K. should be stamped on everyone of their receivers. I wouldn't even call those guns "seconds"..they should be "millions" ...unfit for anything except for filling in a ravine in the ocean......the middle of the ocean, five miles deep...J.U.N.K. is junk and always will be junk.

Thanks buddy.....I owe you one.....-----6
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Next on the list.....Master Gunny or Sir Jay,

This is a four jaw chuck on my ancient lathe......the main spindle is 1/2" diameter which this chuck screws on to......I was playing around with it and needed a nut to hold on this chunk of wood I was turning into a bowl...(not this 4 jaw chuck, the other flat one)

Anyway I got a nut that was 1/2" NF or 20 threads to the inch....I counted the threads I have on the lathe and it is also 20 to the inch ....but the nut would not screw on and I didn't want to force it......do they use a different pitch?

Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Made a bowl for the cat out of a piece of junk wood. I took a file and ground it out for a cutting tool....redneck style. Yea, wouldn't you know it ...a knot on the lip....

Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Picture time again.......I saw the fox last night on the back patio.......tonight I got a picture of her.......I fixed the gate area and this bitch still got in......I heard they can climb fences.....they are hungry with all the snow so like the fool I am I threw out a half pound of macaroni we didn't feel like having for leftovers.....

Never a dull moment...

Raining like crazy

Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Quite likely it is 1/2-20 but it's probably LEFT HAND threads.

Holy ice skating rinks batman! Up and out the door just after 0500, go through the gate to the driveway. The girls ran up the driveway like normal but I couldn't even place my foot down without it sliding on ice! Had to backtrack through the yard to let them back in the yard. Now I gotta figure out how I'm getting out to work- 480' of black ice & downhill.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ahhhhhhh...........nope.....it's right hand thread........i have the tap and die for 1/2"-20 so I'm going to redo the threads .

Dang near 50 degrees here Gunny.....it's even sunny......no hint of the storm to come.....
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Got to the job this morning, 4" of standing water in the driveway! We had to dig out a trench so the water would run across the lawn. Spent the day tearing up carpet and tile floor in kitchen. 1/4" lauan ply, glued, screwed, nailed and stapled down!! We didn't get too far with that.

Ok so its not left hand thread, its age tells us its NOT metric- it could be a bastard thread...

Yes some sun today. We were out in tshirts enjoying it while back & forth to the dumpster. Now its cloudy and the wind has picked up.

Weather Channel now saying Philly 5-8 inches, my area 8-12 inches.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

OldWin wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:58 pmHey Griff!
Friend of mine lives down there. You know.......to get away from Maine winters haha.
She posted a picture on FB the other day sitting in a lawn chair drinking beer.
I told her big deal, I've drank plenty of beer sitting in the snow. We just bring a "warmer" instead of a cooler. :D
Anyway, she said her pipes were froze this morning.
Ten below here and my pipes are fine. :D
Yep record lows for sure out here... yep, I either plugged up a drain or one froze on me... Kitchen sink & dishwasher... only drain on an outside wall... good excuse not to do dishes... :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Griff i sure hope you have shutoffs on those water lines- if not and the lines burst make sure you put them in. Can never have enough shutoffs. Oh and NOT gate valves ya want ball valves as they will not corrode/ washers rot away. Just my PSA for the day. :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:53 pm Griff i sure hope you have shutoffs on those water lines- if not and the lines burst make sure you put them in. Can never have enough shutoffs. Oh and NOT gate valves ya want ball valves as they will not corrode/ washers rot away. Just my PSA for the day. :D
Those little stainless ball valves are great for inside.
The PVC ball valves, when used outside, will freeze and the handle/valve stem might snap...Bad juju
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Big agreement on the shut off valves.....it does take continuous and prolonged freezing temps to burst a pipe. one night for 4 hours at 28 degrees isn't going to break em. A buddy of mine from work who lives in a house trailer told me when the temps got into the twenties he has to wrap the outside pipes with this heater tape ...or whatever it's called.....and plug it in...

You can also let a small stream of water run continuously.

For our outside hose faucet I put in one of those (don't know what it called) faucets that self drain when you shut it off......

It must be a nightmare to deal with freezing pipes in the north country like where Pitchy lives.....30 below your pipes will burst in an hour.

Jeep dealership called to say there was not a problem with my daughter's Jeep. She knows the deal .......if the dealer fixes it in any way they are admitting there's a problem so she's just going to make an appointment everytime it shakes......the third time the lemon law kicks in.

This huge pressure system coming in is reeking havoc with my balance.........
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Frost free faucet Six. How they work is the gate valve workings are on the inside of the house and the water stays warm. Saw earlier that quite a few people have died in TX with this storm.

Get this! Early this morning the local fire department gets called out for an explosion! Supposedly 3 people in the house. I know a guy that lives close by and asked what it was, said a shed exploded. Wonder if they were cooking meth !!??
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:47 pmFrost free faucet
Yeah, all my hose bibbs are frost free faucets. This is the drain for the kitchen sink. I'll just have to figure it out... It could be that the vent is clogged and frozen, creating a blockage.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Frozen pipes!

People in the north don't get them unless the heat goes out or something.
Most of the time, pipes freeze where it doesn't usually get real cold. Where winters are always cold, places are insulated more and plumbing is done with cold in mind.
Even house trailers and doublewides have different models for cold climates.
Some trailers still have problems with plumbing freezing underneath. Especially when there is little or no snow. They usually bank them around with snow and it helps a lot. Otherwise, pipes need to be insulated that are exposed to cold.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jay...you guys have plumbing up there? We just started getting indoor toilets and even those are in the mud room.

Hey! Off the subject....just got a call from the one guy I stay in regular contact with from work.....He says, "guess what A.S. did?"
Me...."I don't know." Him, "got in an argument with his son and put a 230 gr. hardball through his chest."

He's on the run.....state boys were in the plant today asking questions..blah...blah...

This A.S. dude was cool.....black guy who never missed any time, did his job, never complained, and was a registered Republican...I worked with him for about 20 years and never an issue. Sometimes these things bother me, most of the time they don't, considering the lifestyle but this one bothered me....never would have expected it from A.....had a great life, wife is an RN, he lived clean, drove a Range Rover...now his life is over.....if he's still alive....

Lots of deaths...a current friend's mom died last month at 80 something....dad couldn't handle it and he died today, from a broken heart......

Life just ain't fair sometimes...you work like a dog all your life and then it's over in a flash.----006
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I tell ya bud, it's getting more common. People are under a lot of stress. Sometimes way more than people realize.
That's why you gotta shut the news off, don't get the paper, and check out of today's society.
It's easy to see what is important. No use worrying about the rest.
Man, that's sad. I tell ya, something happens to Kristy, and I won't last long.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It seems to be getting more common for people to lose their temper. Not sure about it all.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Piller and Jayster...it's easy to figure out...human beings are not cut out to depend on money on a system that demands it. My whole life I've been petrified of not having any money so I always kept my overhead low in case I lost my job we would still have a roof over our head....only had two kids because I wanted to be able to give them a comfortable life and not worry about their next meal. Always been too proud to ask anybody for anything and I did it with excess..

I have little concern for people who blow their money on fancy cars and vacations then one day they are broke, facing eviction. That's when the shooting starts. People screw and have 10 kids then give them no guidance......and a couple of those 10 are going to break.

I'm going to bed ....gotta be up bright and early around noon.......hey, I made it possible! :D ----006
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Sorry to hear that Six! I'm guessing the kid died... I only ask because I know a guy that survived a 180gr .44 mag to the chest at contact range. His exwife tried to kill him. Anyhow the docs still don't know how he survived that, the bullet completely fragmented doing as much damage as we have all seen on game but he survived. Only bad from it was now he has a tracheotomy pipe- as far as I know the ex is still in to pokey.

Not often but there are people around here that have pipes freeze- they don't bother to have a plumber come in and move pipes and insulate. Just freeze the pipe, fix- repeat. Building code now says you can't put pipes in outside walls unless the wall is at least 2x6 construction. Heat tape is probably the best thing going. Heck even a 100 watt light bulb would do the trick. Sadly odumbo stopped incandescent light bulb production so if your pipes freeze blame that jack wagon! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!