The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: The Gun Room

Post by Sixgun »

Yea...I hear ya Turtledude.....here I'm am busting down on 28 gauge people while I feel as though I NEED a .303 Savage over a 30-30....

You got ammo? Well, that's as good a reason as any for a new buy.--6
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Oooooooo....oooo...I win Turtledudes new 28 gauge!!!

Thanks Turtledude!
Model A Uzi’s
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Yer welcome glad I could help. Ya know I was a signature away from buying a "super nice" .303 Savage when the guy told me he had a 250 Savage with 24" barrel. So bought that instead. It was mage in '52 . BTW there was spose to be a Remington 14 1/2 coming for a cleaning in 38/40. Was looking forward to that and he never showed up...
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Tdude, have same? 250 two years newer ... great shooter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I HAD a 14.5 in 38-40.....the thing was crazy accurate...as good or better than the 1894 Marlin in 44-40....paid 8 for it and two weeks later a guy saw it and pulled out 1200 ......without me even asking how much I wanted so he has it now or did...that was 15 years ago....it was a clunky gun, too big for its caliber.

Old Savage really likes that 250 Savage and one day IM GONNA TAKE IT.... :D
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Only ammunition on the shelf at WalMart a mile away is 28 gauge. Last time I was there, they had 50 or more boxes.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Man! Lots of doins while I was gone.
This is a fast paced operation. I can see I need to make more of an effort. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ah the 28 ga. Those that KNOW shoot a 28.
410- 3"= 11/16 oz shot
28ga =3/4;7/8
20ga= 3/4; 1 oz
12 ga= 7/8(24gram);1oz;1 1/8 oz
All doing approximately the same velocity, tell me what is lacking?

As you guys know I shoot International Trap. Rule book says 24 grams of shot. That is for argument sake 13/16 oz. with 7&narf's the difference between 24g and 7/8 is a few pieces of shot.International targets are about the same diameter, lower in profile and must travel 76+/- meters to be legal, some targets might go 50mph some over 100! People alway say there isn't enough shot in the 'sub gauges'. I say hogwash!
Ferinstance a couple weeks ago I took out my CZ 410 , Parker flushed a pheasant about 40 yards out, it was going left to right with the afterburners on. I swung from butt to beak and the right barrel( supposedly choked IC) barked, the bird crumpled and was DRT before it hit the ground. Some of the guys hunt with 12ga shooting 1&1/4 or even 1&3/8 loads and the kill far fewer birds. Why? I'll tell ya,
1 they are over choked
2 they are using long range stuff for South Dakota where shots are long
3 they are OVER CHOKED
4 sadly they don't shoot ENOUGH

Now who wants to give me a Savage , caliber doesn't matter :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yes Master.....your grasshopper here......

Scientifically speaking, your 100% right....between normal loads it's close to being the same amount of lead being shot at the same velocity......choke for choke your going to have a longer shot string with the smaller gauges......

So,if you didn't want anything to escape the shot pattern, how about a 4 gauge, modified choke, and 1 ounce of shot?....a flat wall of lead.

Nasty here...cold, rainy, icy, mostly rain I think. Dropping off AOC at the pool.
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Exactly the point Six! It's all in your(their)mind when when stepping 'down' to sub gauge.
Friend of mine made a cannon, real life bronze casting complete with wooden wheels & carrige, tennis balls make tracer rounds as the fuzz burns off. Anyhow we always wanted to try it loaded with buckshot. Problem was getting it into where we could drive deer to it.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Master,
Grasshopper here again......I go at this brainstorm.........as you know, nothing is as comfortable in cutting wood as is a table saw....allows both hands to manlipulate the wood...straighter cut..blah...blah....

I have three Makita circular saws which don't get used a lot except for quick cuts out in the barn or the garage .....when I don't feel like taking the fence off the table saw........

This brings us to the woodpile by the garage....thinking of taking a circular saw and mounting it under a sheet of plywood with some 4x4's for legs.....short legs, maybe 18" for stability. Just zip tie the trigger and keep an extension cord handy. I'm thinking it would be great for cutting up old lumber (which I have access to) for kindling wood instead of making a mess in the garage....ya think it's safe?---6
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

(This is your game but I ain't stupid). On your small gauge shotguns....OK, you have a longer (narrower) shot string with the smaller gauges......wouldn't that make it more of an experts guns as in one who really knows how to lead? (lead, not heavy lead)
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Shot string is longer in a 12 gauge than in a 28 gauge. More shot. Some people think that can make up for poor shooting. Friend of my Dad's used a 20 gauge on Pheasant out in the fields and desert grasslands of Western Kansas. I do not remember him ever missing a bird. It was a Franchi lightweight semi-auto with a modified choke. Even with my issues, if I close my left eye as I start swinging and do my part, I can hit half or more of the clays when shooting skeet and using a 20 gauge side by side. I have access to a 20 gauge O/U, and again, over half when I close my left eye and do my part. Practice is some of it. Used to shoot skeet every Sunday afternoon at a Church we went to. I once got 90 out of 100 there. Practice helped. A LOT! Even with practice, I do not have the natural ability with a shotgun that some folks have. Natural ability can make a difference between good and great. I would be happy to be able to practice enough to be good.
D. Brian Casady
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

3leggedturtle wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:25 pm Hey Gunnymack , I passed up a Baikal O/U 28 gauge fir $400. Nice wood and bluing, should I have bought?

G-K you can give me your opinion too! :lol: only if you want to, tho :mrgreen:
I have always liked Baikal shotguns, I've had several and just turned down a nearly new Side by Side 12 just because it was an ejector. I would love a Baikal 28 gauge but the only ones I see are single trigger ejector models which I do not like although you can turn the ejectors off on a O/U.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

When the shells were fired it would eject them. If you didnt fire it they were just extracted. But it was singke nonselective! Really nice wood and pattern.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

3leggedturtle wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:56 pm When the shells were fired it would eject them. If you didnt fire it they were just extracted. But it was singke nonselective! Really nice wood and pattern.
Sound like a good deal but the single trigger would kill it for me, in my experience if anything is going to give trouble on a shotgun it's single triggers and ejectors. I'm still getting my head around Hammerless Breech loaders :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Six, your idea is nuts!! I would not touch that.
Lead not pb is not one of those things that ya can really measure. Yeah sure ya gotta be 6 feet in front of a skeet target but your 6 ft is different than mine or anyone else's shooting flying targets is a learning curve. As for shot string yes that helps with crossing targets but ya still gotta put the pb on target- that is where time behind the gun comes in to play. Ya gotta shoot to learn your leads/ loads/ time of flight yadda yadda. But if you take your conscious brain out of it and react on instinct lead disappears. A guy I shoot with is always trying to measure his lead, he is always second guessing, confusing himself and his scores suffer. When he does turn his brain off he is an amazingly good shooter.

Ah these Brits can't embrace new fangled single triggers :lol: Guys in the hunt club can't wrap their head around double triggers. It helps to spend time SHOOTING which most people don't do.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OK Master...on your advice I'll abandon my thought up poor man's table saw.....I was ever getting ready to cut the guard off of the Makita and put on a 10" blade from the real table saw.....figured it would be easy cutting a slot on the top of the "table" and making my own "T handle" for a perfect 180 cut.

OK, I admit...idle time is the devils workshop.

My next project....my Makita angle grinder.....that sucker is powerful! It'll twist your arm. I figure I could mount a 7" carbide tipped rip blade on it to make a "one armed open saw". I bet people would run like crazy seeing me with that baby on.

For real...3 years ago I had to cut a 1/4" x 1" x 3' slot in the front sidewalk for the water from the air conditioner to drain off.....too lazy to drive to home depot for a 7" masonry blade so I dismounted the grinder from the workbench and put on a 10" masonry blade and just held the motor with my hands while I cut the groove. Worked great and took me about an hour. I had the wires hooked up with jumper cables with wires sticking out of an outlet. You got to be safe!
Model A Uzi’s
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

A great guy once said, you do with what you HAVE to do it with.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Six what is your plan for this saw? Are you looking to just make kindling? If so just spend the time at the table saw and make a huge pile of small stuff. Store in 5 gallon buckets.

How I build a fire, pick out the charcoal hunks from the previous fire. Grab a handful of planer/jointer chips and place in a nest of ashes. Place larger hunks of charcoal around the pile of chips. Place small pieces if kindling across chips/ charcoal, add larger kindling. Then put smaller chunks of charcoal on top, then add bigger pieces of firewood. One match to the pile of chips will catch. No paper, Girl Scout fluid,torch.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ok Master....when you get bored all kinds of strange unuseful objects pop into the mind. I have a 38-55 and another old gun that need a weeks worth of work each but I've been there and done that so the poor man's table saw came to mind.

What I do now is take scraps of 1x4's, whatever....change out the blade on the table saw as most of this wood has nails in it....like, LOTS of nails and cut it up but it leaves a mess in the garage so I was thinking about an outside table saw. I don't pull no nails out.

I have near unlimited access to junk wood.

Our wood stove chimney is straight up and goes 3' over the peek of the roof so I have soooooooooo much draft I can just drop in a few 2"-3" x 18" split logs .....squirt some diesel fuel on it and have a roaring fire in 30 seconds....and I'm not exaggerating.

Keep in mind Gunny, that when your retired and have had close to 50 years in the same house to have a perfectly run system, near zero maintenance except for yard work, COVID RESTRICTIONS, ADHD, Hyper active personality, you get bored real easy. :D I used to drink to settle down but as you know, I can't drink.

Forget it all....I'll just go watch TV and twiddle my thumbs....---6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Well, after a couple months of BS, it finally looks like I have an idea of how I will be working. So long 3rd shift after 11 years. Going back on the weekend night shift. I worked it for 10.5 years before. From 99 till 2010. Three 12s and off all week. I see lots of woods loafing in my future! Be nice having lots of time off again. Work is better too. Me and my buddy will be the only people there. No D-bag supervisor kids, no meetings, no BS. It's supposed to be a trial in the gas turbine blade area but I'm hoping I can milk it till I get retired or the place closes.
Back to machining for old Jay! Been 6 years since I've run a machine. Same as I ran last. Five axis, twin spindle, windows control.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Good for you Jay! Thinking.....that's pretty good as in the three 12's.......even though it's the weekends ...who cares? .....when we were young, weekends were everything....just another day now.....

Some years back the plant put a few of us on a 10 hour 4 day shift.....As senior man I got the Monday to Thursday shift....I loved it but I ran my mouth too much and the company saw I was having a good time so they stopped it after 6 months or so.

That's quite some machinery you run. I can run machines too.....I can run a pinball machine, a broom, crowbar and the machine below..---your pal---6 :D
IMG_8663.JPG
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha trust me, you could run it.
Yeah, they do some 4 10s too. We took weekends as it is less traveling. That is where the real savings is for us. Those three days are long, as with traveling it's almost a 15hr day, but you get it over with quick. The 10 years we did it before flew by. The boys were home back then so I was still busy. I will have more time this time. I'd like to go from this right into retirement, but I ain't holding my breath. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Jay you CANT retire- millions on welfare are counting on you!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:57 pm Jay you CANT retire- millions on welfare are counting on you!

No, no! We are ALL on welfare now! These stimulus checks will never stop. It's a new political tool to buy votes with.
I just want to fit in. That's the beauty of communism, once you see that nobody else is working, why should we bother? :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:57 pm Jay you CANT retire- millions on welfare are counting on you!
Yea Jay...Gunny's right.....plus, I'm counting on you a lot.!!!!
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Are we getting new stimulus checks?? Oooooooooo that is sooooooo cooooolllll. Good ole Uncle Joe Biden.....what a guy!

Believe it was AOC who said give everyone $500 a munt....i's gonna axe em b'foe we's vote in de's spring.
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

No worries anymore boys! It's the golden age of the bum.
I'm lining up for my piece of the pie.......and cheese......and butter........and cell phones.......and cars ( yup, our moron governor wants to give CARS to the bums here).

The rich are gonna pay their fair share!

Sorry boys. You can't depend on old Jay. Don't worry, uncle Joe will take care of you.

China Joe 2024!
AOC 2028!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jay,
Look....think.....there's not much time left........think.......the country is fast falling apart and with the mindset of the left it's going into high gear.......soooooo, WTF, lets grab what we can while we can....sure....get that stimulus check..go for the $500 a month......use it to stock up on food and other necessities.......the ones on the left will spend theirs on drugs and hoes while we are using it for the long term.

It's called, "using the system for your advantage and against them!. We used to do it at work all the time.

Join the left...promote the left....take what you can.....F. em.....I'm going to look at what I can get for free as I'm not much above the poverty line now as to income.

Go Uncle Joe...I'm coming for my free S.!
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:56 am Jay,
Look....think.....there's not much time left........think.......the country is fast falling apart and with the mindset of the left it's going into high gear.......soooooo, WTF, lets grab what we can while we can....sure....get that stimulus check..go for the $500 a month......use it to stock up on food and other necessities.......the ones on the left will spend theirs on drugs and hoes while we are using it for the long term.

It's called, "using the system for your advantage and against them!. We used to do it at work all the time.

Join the left...promote the left....take what you can.....F. em.....I'm going to look at what I can get for free as I'm not much above the poverty line now as to income.

Go Uncle Joe...I'm coming for my free S.!

I hear ya bro! Can't beat em.....join em!
The fastest way for them to fail is for them to get exactly what they want.
Yup. Just like at work.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jay..you still there! Piller? Gunny?.....it's 3:50 and I'm still up.......watched the Great Escape for the 38 th time. I'm beginning to totally change my lifestyle to a night owl.....what the hell....I don't work....have everything situated at home...plenty of gas, diesel, food, loot, guns, 50k primers, 100 pounds of powder, excellent physical health (didn't mention mental health) , my own mini gun club out back which I'm the President and founding member of, my cats, dogs, and a mean wife...what could be better?

So I think starting tomorrow, I want you guys to stay up late so we can BS while the other guys are in bed waxing their horns. Oh! Forgot.....got to make phone calls to the welfare office and the township building to see what's free...thinking big block of cheese.

Did you guys hear about the Mexicans and the bros down in Texas? Well, the bros got free cheese from the government and the Mexicans couldn't get any so late at night the Mexicans went down to where the bros were living and stole their cheese. When the Mexicans were back in their homes and eating the cheese, one Mexican says, "hey! this is good cheese, wonder what kind it is." Another Mexican said it was "nacho cheese". The first Mexican says, "how do you know that?" and the other Mexican says, "Didn't you hear the bros yelling when we were stealing their cheese saying, "yo, you can't do that, it's not yo cheese man!"
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I'll be at work Thursday night so I'm in!
Nacho cheese....? Oh man! :roll:

Yes sir! Freebies freebies. It's all free. The gubment gonna give us all that rich folks stuff!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Aaaahhhhh......GREAT! I made a conversion already. How about if me and you head on down to the welfare office together for support? Gunny can come too as I figure it's a little cold for him to work...if fact, Claro and Parker probably have him up by now...5:30 and I still ain't tired.....happens about once a month.

You know when you don't get much sleep during the week and it catches up to you and you'll sleep 12 hours on Saturday? Well, for me, it's the opposite....I sleep 10-12 hours a day and it catches up to me in the opposite way...I'll stay up for a day or two...like the old days, bottle of Jack, a few joints and a few lines and your up for for whole weekend.

Gunny?..you up? Me and Jay are here and your a no show.

It's NACHO CHESSE MAN! 6 o..das bro wit out da nacho cheese....dos beaners stolt ma cheese and i's toad dem whilst day runin' out ma go-rage...."dats nocho cheese man!-----
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I can't believe I'm 66 and probably neither can anyone else so here's da deal....I'll throw ya .50 cent so you can make a call.
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

As long as you guys are still up at 04-0500ish I'm in otherwise I'm going to be asleep!
Got up this morning, got out the door with the girls and had to run for the capitol! Know that term about 'through a goose'? Whew almost didn't make it!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:45 am As long as you guys are still up at 04-0500ish I'm in otherwise I'm going to be asleep!
Got up this morning, got out the door with the girls and had to run for the capitol! Know that term about 'through a goose'? Whew almost didn't make it!!
Reminds me of a story.....
A guy here at work retired a few years ago. They call him "Whiskey Bob". Whatever you're thinking, it probably ain't bad enough.
Anyway, he had an appointment for a colonoscopy last week and needed a ride to the doctors. He calls this guy Jeff that works here on 2nd shift.
I guess he had a little trouble with the prep. On the ride in he exploded....... and exploded........and exploded, all through Jeff's truck. :shock:
Yeah, no good deed goes unpunished.

See Gunny. Could have been worse!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Oh I know it ! Things have settled down but im not taking a chance, staying close to home for sure!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:44 am Oh I know it ! Things have settled down but im not taking a chance, staying close to home for sure!!
I hope you didn't run out of toilet paper....... hoarding sometimes makes sense...... :lol:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Reminds me of the joke about the bear and the rabbit... :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Got an abcessed tooth. Was able to make an emergencg appointment. Believe it or not, I go in at two thirty. Or, as Biden's bosses say, tooth hurty.
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey Piller good luck wiff da toof. Gotta remember to grab the dentist by the jewels and say We aren't going to hurt each other are we doc? :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ok...IM UP! Got to sleep around 7....

I see you guys are having a blast...litterly.....I bet Jays buddy's truck was really HIS.....can you imagine that, someone making a mess......that reminds me when my Jeep ran over my leg, starting from the hip on down the entire length of my leg...it was solo overwhelming I messed my shorts.....I was embarrased.....I think that's why the other Gunny called an ambulance.....he didn't want me in his truck.

What's all this poop about March 4th? I'm reading a military takeover.....11,000 workers blitzed over the pipeline...people have had enough.

IM SENSING A REAL DEAL CIVIL WAR and not just talk.......
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey Six you better hope the EURO model is wrong or you are gonna be up to your knees in snow!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That means Miss Apple will be in over her head. Six, you are going to have to clear some snow for her.
D. Brian Casady
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I saw something on another site earlier today about March 4th. Is that when A-AWK (that bartender) is going to stage her koop(spelled that way for her supporters) and take over?
D. Brian Casady
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Okay... okay... enough politics, take it to the proper forum.

How many of y'all are tired of all the phone calls about... "your car warranty is about to expire"... "you can get electricity for free"... etc... well today I figured how to stop 'em!

The 3rd world speaker started in on his schpeel and I interrupted... "Hi, this is Griff's haullin' You need something hauled... We can haul anything anywhere any time... let me know what, where and how often and I'll give you a quote right here, right now..." My phone went "Click" in there somewhere! Worked 8 times today so far! One guy actually let me finish... a few moments of silence... then the click!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Explanation to me, 80+ year old guy using an Angle grinder to cut a bolt in cement with a carbon fiber carbide tip blade. Blade exploded throwing shrapnel. 14 stitches to the the leg.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

An attitude that... at 80+, pretty much did that, survived it, ain't a wussie! Or, a college educated idiot that doesn't understand the consequences of removing the blade guard on an angle grinder. Take yer pick!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!