The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: The Gun Room

Post by Sixgun »

I win-----The King of Spades is BACK!!!!!
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey congratulations buddy. You win a snowblower!

Can't be mine though. Gonna need it again in a couple days. :D

So, I finally stepped into the new century a little. I built my garage about 30 years ago. My dad drags home 2 8ft fluorescent lights he dug out of the trash down to the mill and we wired em up. Been there ever since. Now, you can tell if they are on if its dark out, cause they glow a little. :D
The kids bought me 4 LEDs for my birthday. I was a little skeptical because they weren't very big, but I wired em up in place of the old ones. WOW! What a difference! They even work when it's cold! Which is most of the year.
I got so excited I bought 4 more and added those.
I snapped them on and I got a sunburn! Sure is nice to see. I found most of another Jeep back in one corner. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Big news coming later today, Prizes ;-)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yes sir those LED bulbs are awesome!! I'm slowly replacing all the bulbs in the house.

I'm not sure multiple posts should count towards a page win !! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I like the L.E.D. lights.
I had a Doctor vusit today. Glad to see they are open. I wouldn't want to take a blood sample on myselt.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

OK to the King of Spades ... what are we looking at here? Friend showed me this. His grandfather who died in 61 had it. Marked COBRA .32 Colt N.P. The grips obviously are not correct. Serial 21250. LW is also stamped in there. The cylinder shows no sign of having been fired on the front face.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Fred,
Looks like a first issue Detective Spl. or a Police Positive. It's not the new pocket or new police as they didn't have the fat contour of the barrel where it screws into the frame...plus, their release catch as like an "L". What's it chambered in ..32 or 38 NP? The new police cartridge is Colts version of the 38 s&W........

"LW"? That's an Agent but they were chambered in 38 Spl.only. Cobra? That's a lightweight version of the Detective Spl. Is the gun all steel? What does it read on the left side of the barrel?

Gun looks new.....plastic grips on there? I see it has the pre war nickel silver medallions.

Need more info....I'm leaning towards a police Positive...then a first issue Colt DS.---6
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

COBRA in 32 N.P. The grips are from something else, don't fit properly. Alloy frame, much lighter than a Detective Spl. but in .32.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Six does it matter what that Colt is- it's your prize for the page win, you'll have lots of time to figure out exactly what it is! :D

Unholy- iPad battery is dead!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

It is the same dimensions as the DS. Need DS grips for it. I'll check the LGS. The ones on it are for something smaller.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yea....for what information I had I did pretty good....wasn't able to hold it or read the lettering.....

32 New Police is the same as as 32 S&W long.....
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

PillHer has a box of 50 rounds of .32 S&W Long. Her Ruger GP100 in .327 will shoot it. She used 1 box for practice. Nice light load.
D. Brian Casady
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Piller....get her some 32 shorts.......I load mine with 1.5 grains of Bullseye (equals factory) and a 70 grain store bought cast bullet and shoot em out of a Ruger Single Six 32 mag......they sound like a 22 subsonic but even quieter.

Thinking on the Cobra......didn't know their serial numbers were within their own range........-----6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Sometimes I'm sorry I converted my 1st model year 32 Single Six to 44 special but then I realize I have a 44 special Single Six !!
When I got the SS the only Ammo I could find was a box of 32 longs, shot them all then tore the gun apart for the conversion.

Hey Sixer have you shot that Colt you adjusted the front sight on yet? Just wondering how it works?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

No Gunny....never did shoot it.....will do tomorrow......after spending all that time on the 10-22 I decided to take off the new Leupold 3-9 and put on a 2-7 Leupold.....did that today........

One thing about that Ruger takedown...it's a fun gun only and does was it was designed to do which is a camp/tactical gun....EXCELLENT reliability and decently accurate.....that's all. I was experimenting a bit today and after sighting in the 2-7 I broke it down very carefully and put it back together then shot it....I did this three times and each time the poa changed about 2" at fifty meters....also, after putting it back together it takes about 5 shots before it settles down.

In the manual it says to let the bolt slam down several times to "seat it" before shooting live ammo.

A target rifle it's not......but it's not supposed to be but I don't like the point of aim changing that much......I have MANY takedown antique Winchesters and they don't do that....22's or centerfires.....

But I'll keep it for what it is and what it was designed to be.-----6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yup, it's a great gun to keep in the jeep! 10/22s are great , easy, handy, light enough but not much soul, kinda like an AR. I'd rather take a walk with a pump 22 or go ground hog hunting with my trusty 77/22- even though my 10/22 has all the bells & whistles.

Boss texted last night, no work today - tile guy on the bathroom job, waiting for sparkle to dry on the garage, so now I have to figure out what to do... Go hunting? But where?5 properties I can hunt. Stay home & load ammo? Go grocery shopping?

I guess I need coffee before I decide what to do today.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Something is in the air Gunny.....no work for you and I've been up since 5 after going to bed at 2.......stomach cramps like you wouldn't believe.........my fault, as usual...........waaaaayyyyy too much Tabasco sauce last night and hthen I ate 3 Klondike bars....believe I'm getting lactose intolerant as I age....dunno.....

First came the cramps which would not let me sleep so I got up and the next thing ya know I start farting ....like 20 seconds long.....then I think I had one that was a "little extra", you know, a shart. So now I'm on the throne dropping off a mess of little Pelosi's.....

Everything is icy outside and the grass is white from a frost. I heard it's been like this but this is the first time I've been up this early...---6

Gonna shoot that New Service today......
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Easy test to check , just eat 3 more Klondike bars! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

After I wrote the last message I went back to bed and slept until 4.....big "last of the year" long range match tomorrow....screw it.

Feel another Biden coming up---6
Model A Uzi’s
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Sixgun wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:07 pm.

So can you tell itsa biden by how clingy it is? :|

Whats a " real world " price for a full box of a 100 Hornady.348 200gr FP's. I have a friend that wants to know...... yeah thats it Todd/3legs
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

3leggedturtle wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:29 pm
Sixgun wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:07 pm.

So can you tell itsa biden by how clingy it is? :|

Whats a " real world " price for a full box of a 100 Hornady.348 200gr FP's. I have a friend that wants to know...... yeah thats it Todd/3legs
No.......I can't tell it's a Biden by how clingy it is.....it's the smell.

Box of hornady 348's?...wow...no clue......not even sure if they still make them.....I keep several hundred off to the side but most of my 348 shooting is with cast bullets with gas checks......

Oooooooooo......feel another coming up...my stomach is all bloated....I think this one is a Kamala....it's all knotty with nappy hair........
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, the Cobra looks to me like a an alloy frame Detective Special. The grips on the one I are smaller than the DS grips apparently for a smaller Colt revolver. Looking for DS grips I see the originals on EBay for $175. The smaller grips on this are for a smaller Colt. Ideas?

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yesterday while running errands I ran into the guy that owns the farm I hunt. His son is due home from college today and would like to do some bird hunting. Sure thing I have the dogs, he has the property! He also gave me some Intel on where he has been seeing the biggest buck on the property- guess where in going to set up this afternoon? I should be out this morning but I just didn't have the OOMPH to get up and go!

Six, very few westerners can digest milk, most everyone has issues with it, some worse than others! Other than my coffee I don't drink milk at all- however I love cheese. If I eat ice cream I get gassy!

3 legg is your 'friend' trying to price loaded ammo or bullets?

Can't help with your grips OS as I know next to nothing about Colt stuff other than SAA & Python from the inside& that was a long time ago!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

OS, didn't the Colt agent have a smaller grip frame?
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Old Savage wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:15 am Six, the Cobra looks to me like a an alloy frame Detective Special. The grips on the one I are smaller than the DS grips apparently for a smaller Colt revolver. Looking for DS grips I see the originals on EBay for $175. The smaller grips on this are for a smaller Colt. Ideas?
Cobras are neat little revolvers. My daily pocket gun is an Agent with a hammer shroud, same revolver except it's grip frame is shorter whereas the Cobra's is the same size as a DS.

I think Colt marketed these as having "Coltalloy " frames just like they did with the original Commanders. Kind of like S&W with their "Scandium" frame guns. Aluminium!

Eric
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Fredo.......the Detective Spl, Cobra are the same gun but with different materials......the early Detective Spls....like from the Elliot Ness days are nothing more than a police Positive and have a different grip frame....

The Agent is the same as the other two but has a slightly shorter grip frame
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The point here is I want grips for a DS to fit my Cobra. None available in original configuration as I see.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Fred...what are those grips that are on it? Is there a number written or stamped inside as I might be able to tell what they are for by the serial number.

You want original factory grips?....I'm sure there are lots of aftermarket ones available....

It's a shame there are no gunshows.....
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Six just send Fred some Osage and he can carve a set to his liking. :D

Well I got set up with my climber where the property owner said , was foggy, dripping wet and the woods were dead silent. Out of the pea soup 3 does showed up at 10 yards, it was only about 145- knowing that big 8 point showed near dark and not wanting to spook him I let them walk. Sat there until dark, saw 5 more does then 2 more. This is the first buck week since I started hunting that I didn't see any antlers! Everyone I know that hunts says the same thing, no deer big enough to shoot...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Gunny....that's just how it is......the deer know something we don't....I think many bucks hide once they are shot at and you don't see them again unless your lucky where the does are like female humans...stupid......

In the little patch of woods out back I see bucks and does all year long but once the season starts, it's does only.

An analogy....crows.....when I first had the house built in '75 I use to shoot every crow I could find with a 22-250....the closet shot was around 125 yards.....even if I barely opened the door and they were sitting on a tree 150 yards away, they would fly off....now that I dont shoot them anymore they come onto the back patio to eat bread and stuff I throw out.

The year was 1977 or thereabouts......a crow was on the top of the tree across the road pretty much over my neighbors house 275 yards away. One Sierra 53 gr. BRHP caught him square in the chest and blew it up....about a month later I was talking to my neighbor whom I shot the crow over his house and he said, "I found a crow in the yard in pieces and what kind of an animal you think it was that got him?"....me, "dunno, fox?"------6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Absolutely you are correct! I've known for years that the deer squeeze into the developments. Those that don't have row house's to hide in become nocturnal.

Well this morning we put out 15 birds. Think we got 5 of them... Claro flushed one far off- she had a bug up her ... well a little tickle on the ecollar and that solved that! Anyhow, she found and flushed the other 3 we were after, Bob clean missed one and fumbled with the safety on the other. Saw where both of those landed, Claro then flushed one or both 5 more times. They were on the neighboring property flying through the trees and no shot opportunities.

Yep crows are very if not extremely intelligent! A close 2nd to ravens. The hay barn across the street from me in Colorado had a raven nest every spring. Try as I might I could not get to it without the parents seeing/knowing I wS trying to steal a chick. Supposedly Ravens can be taught to speak and I wanted one bad, just to teach it to say Nevermore- quote the raven. Well maybe teach it to cuss also.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Dang! Crows/ravens can speak? Like parrots?....

Sixgun asked me to tell you guys what's going on.

He said he shot that New Service 45 LONG Colt today.......yea, he made a mistake during the "moulding process"...it has a "cant" to the right and is throwing the bullets 6 inches to the left at 15 yards and there's not enough windage in the rear sight to make up for it..........elevation is right on.....poa at 15 yards...... :D

This "cant" is only maybe .020 but with a 2" barrel that's a lot........as he told you he made the sight from JB Weld, essentially just building on the original sight.......He wanted to see how strong it was today and pushed a great deal on it with his thumb and it held solid! Tonight he says he is going to sand it and build it up on the left side, let it harden and refile it.
Last edited by Jay Bird on Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

GunnyMack, you were too noisy when sneaking up on The Raven. It heard your Tell-Tale Heart. That is why you should Never Bet The Devil Your Head that you can do it. Ask Bernice. Ask Lenore. Ask Anabel Lee. Why, you need to sneak all the way over the mountains of the moon and through the valley of the shadow to get to sneak up on a raven. If yoj are not mindful, you may spend so much money trying to get one that you wind up Poe.
D. Brian Casady
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Whew...I'm back....what's all this stuff about Ravens? What makes them different than crows? One time out in Colorado one (I thought it was a crow) took off from a tree...close...20 yards...so I pulled out my Colt 38-40 and took a bead on it, fired and poof!....feathers but the bird kept flying.......

Working on that front sight and have it about 3/16" of an inch wide......file her up tomorrow and see's whatcha I gots----6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

When we was kids, my cousin had a pet raven. It could talk and was crazy smart. It stayed in the barn down the road at his grandparents.
I remember they kept a bag of rabbit pellets beside the barn door and when you walked in you better grab a handful. That raven would fly down and land on your shoulder for the pellets. I ran out one day and that sucker would grab the skin on your bicep and twist. I had a sheepskin lined jean jacket on and it raised a welt you wouldn't believe! :shock:
He would scream to my cousin. "Troy, come and play!" It was crazy. They had him for years and one day he mated and took off.
Pretty neat. An incredible bird.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yes like parrots Six. I had a buddy that owned a pet store. His African Grey Parrot was more of a mumbling bird unless you got in his face and annoyed him- then he would cuss you with every bad word and it was clear as a bell!

Winter storm watch!! Up to a foot or more this week- I got the ranger all set yesterday, plow on and counter weight in the bed. Not sure yet if I'll put the chains on. Weather Channel is showing 12-18"+ out in Tom Land, 12-18" in Six Land!!

General Tso is kicking my butt, woke up about 3 with heart burn that would light up Cleveland! Good thing I don't get Chinese food often.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Re: The Gun Room XXXVII

Post by Sixgun »

Wow...didn't know dat Gunny.....right now it's raining like crazy...39 degrees......thinking you might be a few degrees colder......nasty...nasty........

12-18"? Well, the mighty Kubota is fueled up and I have a 1/4 cord of wood in the house.......got more food than Costco has.....only thing left to do is blow a few fanny burbs directly towards the west to let those folks in the mountain areas that they are right at home. :D

You ought to see that sight on the Colt New Service.... :D ..it's a 1/4" wide.......

Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Fred....can I have your Rolex that you posted on the other side of the tracks? Can't believe there's a Rolex and a rossi under the same roof.......

Hey, I have a set of rubber grips that will fit your Cobra....you want em? I have to look for them.....pic later....
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Rained until about 10 am, then changed to snow, still snowing too !!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I take it your not working today......

Pond overflowing here...got to run out and take the scientifically designed pond leveler out......

Redid my SIL's bench...(nothing but 1"x2.5x48" slats and repainted the iron part)....I made it for her in '07 using oak and it stayed great but nasty looking......this time I used pressure treated fence posts that were in the ground for 20 years....used outdoor high gloss poly....--6

Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Six, you are a very handy guy. Nice work on that bench!

Rubber grips, you bet, glad to have them, Thnx!

The only guns that preceded the Rolex were a 1966 vintage K22 and a Model 37 Ithaca my wife got me about 1975, both are still primo.

These are about the earliest out west pistols.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

We worked until about 10, had to prep a hearth so the mason can lay up stone as we were waiting for windows to get delivered.

The treated will most likely last provided some fat person doesn't sit on it- SYP( Southern Yellow Pine) is not as strong as oak. Best wood for that would be black locust or IPE but im sure you don't get free locust and I know you won't find IPE on a scrap lumber pile!!

Just stopped snowing, not quite covering the lawn.
I have to take the carb off my snow blower, won't run. Last year I put gas in it and didn't use it once- must not have stabilized the gas!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Very nice Six! The bench looks great.
Supposed to be cold here tonight. Was supposed to be crappy this week. Looking better now thankfully.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks Jay....the bench is 7th grade shop class knowledge......getting the materials for free is adult knowledge but it did cost me $20 for a quart of exterior poly

I got to go find Fred a set of grips for his Cobra. ---6

Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, it seems Colt has complicated the small revolver grip situation with their variants. One of my most knowledgeable gun guys here took the Cobra to give it a deep clean. He loves little Colts.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Re: The Gun Room XLVI

Post by Sixgun »

OK 'y----6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I've only got one Colt snubbie. It's a Detective Special that is NIB so I haven't shot it.
Don't get excited. It's one of the later ones. :D
It's still real pretty though. The action is buttery smooth.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Your double coffee cup gun rest might be causing it or it could be leaning a bit but now your sight appears to be leaning left. Either way I'm sure you have added enough that POA/POI will be much closer.

What is the latest forecast there in Sixland? Still saying 12-18" here, out by Tom too. After work I have to take the carb off my snow blower. It's a Honda with tracks- what a pain to move without power!

So is that Colt your daily carry gun Fred?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

What? Who is I? Snow? Dunno...

I'm here dropping off a Steve and decided dat I know nuttin'.

Ahhh....all I'm hearing is 10+ but I'm not paying much attention...mom toad me dat...I've been staying away from the news and I feel better for it....the only negative of not watching the news is I have to keep myself busy with udder tings. (You notice the mix of English, Ebonics, and Spanish slur?)

I tink doos grips I be posted are foe s&w so i's hopes se Fred sees dis...

OK, Ebonics class is over....YES, the front sight has a deliberate cant to the left as the other one was canted to the right. Notice the picture above after finish filing ....it's straight as the eye can do it which is about + or - .010. Gonna test her out in an hour.
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I see it Six. We'll just let it all come together.