NAA Mini Revolver Accuracy..................

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

NAA Mini Revolver Accuracy..................

Post by Old No7 »

OK, going into this, I know that many folks may CARRY one of the small NAA Mini Guns as a last-ditch get-off-me option, and that many folks SHOOT them and enjoy doing so -- but does anyone actually HIT anything with them ? ? ?

After getting a 22 Mag Ranger II last year to go with all my other top-breaks, I'd just acquired a decent used 4" Mini Master .22LR with the thinking that it "Just might be capable of picking off a partridge or squirrel at up to 30 paces when I'm out deer hunting in the Maine woods."

I'm here to tell you that ain't gonna happen.........................

I tried 5 different 22 loads in it today; 2 standard velocity (Wolf MT and CCI Std) and 3 high-speed (CCI, Blazer and Federal) and this target was the best 20-shot grouping of all.

At 10 yards -- only 3 out of 20 shots would have hit the head of a partridge...

NAA Mini-M target (Medium).jpg

The problem is -- that target was shot at only 5 YARDS... :o

Look, I know this isn't a target revolver... And I do know how to shoot handguns well (as I once placed 2nd in Maine in 22 LR Bulls-eye Postal Matches, all shot 1 handed).

* * * But am I expecting too much of a NAA MIni to use it as a small kit gun? * * *

I am still intrigued by their designs, the quality of the fit & finish and the well-executed Swiss Watch-like construction. They do go "bang" when the trigger is pulled -- yes -- but all the built-in quality is for naught if they just won't HIT well...

At this point, I'd rather carry my 4X heavier 5" S&W Mdl 63-5 and at least HIT what I'm aiming at...

Recently I was thinking of selling off my Ranger II but getting the Mini Master had me interested in the NAA line all over again -- but seriously, now I'm thinking that I could have TWO NAAs going up for sale very soon...

I have tried SO hard to like these niche NAA mini guns -- but it's just not happening................... :(

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: NAA Mini Revolver Accuracy..................

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Daryl, I bought an "Earl" soon after they came out and couldn't believe how inaccurate it was. Examining the barrel, it looked like there were all kinds of chatter marks, so I sent it back to NAA and if they rebarreled it as they said they did, the barrel was no better. Done with these. They'll hit a basketball across the dinner table and that's about it in my experience. Good luck.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Slug the bore? Wonder if they use .223-224 barrels? Chase the crown? Barrel /cylinder gap and or alignment?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

I feel your pain.....

I'm a long-time N.A.A. fan/collector and while living with the very short accurate range of the short barreled and tiny gripped "minis" I thought the minimaster and earls with their fuller grips, real sights, and longer barrels might be the bees knees. Wrong !

The 2.5" and 4" minimasters are the absolutely most inaccurate handguns I have ever shot. The 4" earl is at least 3 x more accurate than the minimasters but is still not great which shows just how bad the minimasters are. One expects much more from such a heavy, slab-sided barrel with bold, clear sights.

Like mister powell replied, something just doesn't look right when peering down some n.a.a. barrels.
m.A.g.a. !
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I work with a guy who runs a couple of trap lines as a side income and he carries a NAA 22lr as a dispatch gun. He thinks highly of it. In the past he has carried a Tanfoglio Single action revolver, a Jennings J22, High Standard Sport King, and a inexpensive derringer of some sort. The NAA was his best choice because it seems to tolerate the benign neglect he inflicts and it is sized very efficiently for his purposes. He also said reloading the derringer was difficult in the field with cold, wet hands during a Michigan winters.

I know that is not really an answer to your accuracy question but I thought a positive word about its durability was worth while.

Wm
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

NAA Mini-Master revolvers are designed as .22 Magnums.
Like Ruger Single Sixes, they do their best work with magnum ammo.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I regard mine (one-inch 22 WMR version) as a last-ditch 'in your face' implement, but it would be interesting to see what the longer-barreled ones could do with the addition of laser sights - since the metal sights on them aren't very good.

Mine is 1980's vintage and very excellent quality, but I've not looked at recent ones.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've owned, shot & carried a LOT of Minis over the past 35 or so years, and have found they are neither target or hunting pistols...………..

They are miniature "belly guns" (meaning they're for sticking in someone's belly or ear & shooting), and can serve as plinkers if shot correctly.

I used to think them inaccurate, and also thought that they were awkward to handle & shoot - but I learned better.

I can no longer blame the tool, just whomever's using it.

I believe that the reasons behind reports of poor handling and/or accuracy it that shooters tend to shoot them just like the larger-size single-action revolvers they shot before - i.e., holding one in yer paw and cocking it with the thumb, etc, etc.

(I prefer the original birds-head grips to the later/larger or aftermarket grips)

FWIW, while I found it very awkward at first, after LOTS of practice, I learned to shoot them using a modified Weaver stance, grasping the entire grip in the tightly fisted shooting hand, then operating the hammer & trigger with the off hand while it was wrapped around the grasping fist.

Ergo:

1)

2)

Image Image

3)

They are what they are...……

Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Pete44ru wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:11 pm FWIW, while I found it very awkward at first, after LOTS of practice, I learned to shoot them using a modified Weaver stance, grasping the entire grip in the tightly fisted shooting hand, then operating the hammer & trigger with the off hand while it was wrapped around the grasping fist.
Thanks Pete. I recall you had posted that info after I reported here about the 22 Ranger II that I got.

I tried that too -- but it didn't help me............

Pete44ru wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:11 pm They are what they are...……
Yup, and now I know the reason why this one was for sale looking "little used"... Heck, it still will be when I move it along...

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pete, you sure have nice looking hands.... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:11 pm Pete, you sure have nice looking hands.... :D

Yea...what is it with the long nails Pete?

On a serious note, I never could understand the logic of paying any kind of money on a gun that's hard to shoot...period....let alone hitting what your shooting at.

As Elmer Keith used to say, "junk is junk and always will be junk.----Count Sixula
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have one. It is a last ditch gun. No, it is not accurate beyond 5 yards. The snakeshot rounds in it do well on snakes and tin cans.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I had a .22LR with a longer than average barrel. It was quite inaccurate even with a larger after market grip and was soon traded off.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Sixgun wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:18 pm
AJMD429 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:11 pm Pete, you sure have nice looking hands.... :D

On a serious note, I never could understand the logic of paying any kind of money on a gun that's hard to shoot...period....let alone hitting what your shooting at.

As Elmer Keith used to say, "junk is junk and always will be junk.----Count Sixula
:lol: :lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Pete you said ;

"They are miniature "belly guns" (meaning they're for sticking in someone's belly or ear & shooting), and can serve as plinkers if shot correctly."

You need to be careful doing this, you really could damage someone's hearing ability!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I bought Jr. one but he's not allowed to carry it unless he can qualify with it. I always figured it was a last ditch screw it in their ear and let 'er fly type thing. That me.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Nath wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:59 am
Sixgun wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:18 pm
:lol: :lol:

I had my Green Eyed Monster hold the NAA Black Widow properly (yes, she shoots) while I took the pics. :roll:

:mrgreen:

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I gotta laugh at Pete...in a good way......at 64 I never heard that phrase, "stick it in the ear and shoot". Makes lots of sense. :D ---The Count
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Six, you should be glad you never were in a root hog or die fight. Some bar fights are not friendly at all.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I had one of the short 22 LR ones years ago. The bullets would bounce off a car door.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Close up, a face-full of snakeshot from a .22 mag will be a real attitude changer. :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

BlaineG wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:46 pm Close up, a face-full of snakeshot from a .22 mag will be a real attitude changer. :idea:
Yeah, like adding resentment to the already negatively charged atmosphere :lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Some of ya'll might disagree with this which is OK, but I thought I'd share my own thoughts on the topic since I've had one of those small 5-shot NAA revolvers in .22 LR for a very long time and carry it a lot down here in Florida.
I don't carry it to shoot through car doors. It doesn't have to pass the "FBI Test" for penetration. I don't ever plan to use it to "take out" someone holding a hostage across the room with a well placed shot to their mouth.
No...it's pretty limited to that last-ditch, arms-length situation.
Those kind of things DO happen.
I have a buddy who also carries one of the little NAA .22's. He carries his around his neck. A long time ago, he had an "encounter" with 3 unpleasant individuals who saw him as just a little old guy they that they expected would give up his wallet at their request. After they made their demand, he pulled that little thing, pointed it in their general direction and asked: "Who wants the first one..??"
Turned out that there weren't ANY volunteers to take even one of those puny little .22 rounds that night.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Nath wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:25 pm
BlaineG wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:46 pm Close up, a face-full of snakeshot from a .22 mag will be a real attitude changer. :idea:
Yeah, like adding resentment to the already negatively charged atmosphere :lol:
And more than likely adding blindness....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
roughcreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by roughcreek »

AND momentary loss of hearing.
Roughcreek
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Somehow this does not surprise me.

I like the concept, and some of the models have a hint of the old west, so are intriguing, but I've never held a one that felt remotely comfortable.