Terry Murbach - Favorite Guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

Terry Murbach - Favorite Guns

Post by 1894c »

Favorite Guns Part I
By Terry Murbach

When Jim Taylor asked me to write a bit about my favorite guns I thought, no big deal I could do that in my sleep. Turns out I was wrong. This is one tough assignment.

Well over half a century ago Colonel Townsend Whelen said, "Only accurate rifles are interesting". He was absolutely correct and over the years others have changed his words slightly to "Only accurate guns are interesting".

The odd thing is, in my entire lifetime with hundreds of guns passing through my hands only two did not meet my expectations and I can be down right demanding in those expectations. I didn’t dump either gun; Marlin re-barreled that M39 Mountie and it now thinks it’s the worlds’ only lever action Anschutz .22. The second was a Ruger 3-screw .357 4 5/8" Black Hawk that firmly held down first place as the world’s noisiest slingshot. I spent fifteen years testing loads in that .357 and the best it could ever do was 2.00" at 25 yards. It’s worst was unbelievable. Oddly enough, that .357 was absolutely the tightest fit Black Hawk I’ve ever seen to the very day I write these words. Hamilton Bowen provided the solution. He converted it to 10MM using the original barrel re-bored from 35 to 40 caliber, re-bored and re-chambered the cylinder, refit the action, put in a trigger pull to die for, remarked the frame to the new chamber, then re-blued the gun, hammer sides and all. It now shoots any bullet, any weight, lead or jacketed into itty bitty little groups!

This Bowenized 10MM Black Hawk is one of my favorite guns. I’ve put 7000 rounds through it so far. For my birthday in 1960 my daddy gave me a Colt Huntsman .22 pistol. I couldn’t hit a 3 lb. Coffee can at mere feet with it as I well proved only minutes after getting the pistol. One year later I could hit a Campbell soup cans at the back of our yard, a good 150 feet away. I had put 52,000 rounds through that pistol in one year. I still own it and doubt its been shot in the last 35 years. It’s total rounds fired is 65,000. I still love .22 pistols and revolvers. My favorite big .22 auto is a Ruger MKII 6 7/8" target with a red dot sight. My favorite little .22 auto is a Bersa with 17,000 rounds through it and not one malfunction. My favorite big .22 revolvers are a K22 6" from 1958 and a M617 4" K22. My favorite little .22 revolver is a 1997 Ruger Bearcat that is accurate and incredibly fast. (Like 125-150 fps faster than any 6 ½" Ruger tested by Taffin and me) and that brings me to my favorite medium sized .22 revolver, my H&R M999 Sportsman. In the Past 9 months I’ve put 6500 rounds through it, the majority in DA point shooting. In my odd shaped hands it is the finest point shooter I’ve ever used. Nothing else is even close. This 999’s accuracy is such that 9 shots touching at 25 yards is easy; it can do it at 50 yards too.

I’ve never been dogmatic about cartridges. They all have their place in the scheme of things. That being said the small revolver and pistol cartridges have always held special fascination for me. You can blame Elmer Keith for this. He held the .32 S&W Long in high regard as a small game cartridge and my .32 revolvers are among my favorites. I’ve never seen a Smith or Ruger .32 that didn’t shoot like house a fire. The Ruger .32 Mag sixguns shoot .32 Long handloads with excellent, sometimes exquisite, accuracy. My 2", 4", and 6" .32 Long S&W revolvers, along with the Ruger 6 1/2 " SSM .32 Mag, are among my favorite revolvers.

Few think of .380 pistols as "sporting" guns, but my Astra Constable II has killed small game like a lighting bolt. My Bersa .380’s are great shooting pistols. I’ve run thousands of .380 lead bullet hand loads off my ammo Master Progressive Press and have never had a gun malfunction from a single round of it. My Astra .380 is a favorite gun.

I’ve been shooting 9MM pistols for 40 years. The S&W M39 has been a lifelong favorite but the last 9MM I got a couple years ago may be the best I’ve ever shot, a CZ 85 Combat with full ambidextrous controls and adjustable sights. With an electroless nickel frame and blue slide it looks as great as it handles and shoots. A great 9 and a favorite pistol.

The S&W M19 is the best DA .357 ever made. My 4" M19 has 48,000 rounds through it and is still going strong. The Ruger Black Hawk .357 is the best SA 357 ever made, and maybe the best all round sixgun of all time. That being said I never owned a Black Hawk .357 that wasn’t goofy as a seven dollar bill in one way or the other until April of this last year of the twentieth century. This 1971 issue BH .357 is warn, has a 2 ¼ lb. Trigger and the peaceful security of a permanent home and regular feeding.

The first 38/40 I ever shot is a Cimarron 4 ¾" SAA. It shot groups averaging 1 ¼" at 25 yards and I fell all over myself in love with that sixgun and that caliber. I feel a powerful need for a 7 ½" SA 38/40 and a ’92 lever gun.

I own at least five 41 Mag sixguns. Can’t remember the last time I shot any of them. A great cartridge…ignored by even me. I’m ashamed. My favorite of the guns I have is a first year Ruger Black Hawk 4 5/8" .41 I got from Griffon and Howe years ago. With full loads it beats hell out of me.

My favorite .44 Special is the TLA Skeeter Skelton commemorative, number SS6 of seven ever made. Put over 4500 rounds through it so far. Sometimes use it as my carry gun. I never shoot it without thinking of Skeeter and wondering why he had to leave us so soon. I think of his son Bart too, a fine man I’m privileged to be friends with.

My favorite DA .44 Mag is a 6" nickel S&W M29 with Bear Hug Skeeter Skelton walnut stocks. Shoots great.

The Ruger 5 ½" stainless steel Super Black Hawk is my favorite .44 Mag SA sixgun. It’s XR3-RED grip frame and full SS construction with black sights looks right, feels right, and shoots great. John Taffin made and gave to me a holster/gun belt rig made specifically for this gun. I was humbled.

The .45 ACP is a wonderful cartridge. It handles lead and jacketed bullets equally well. While meant for auto loading pistols starting with the Colt Model 1905, it is also easily at home in revolvers. I own five single action sixguns with .45 ACP cylinders, 2 Rugers, 1 Colt, 2 EMF Hartford and 1 Cimarron. My favorite is a Colt 4 ¾" SAA that was sold as a .45 ACP sixgun with a spare .45 Colt cylinder. This Colt is my favorite SA .45 ACP sixgun.

I own two S&W .45 ACP revolvers, a 6 ½" M25-2 and a M625-4 4". The latter is far better made, much more accurate with a large selection of loads it shoots very well. This 4" S&W Mountain Gun, 1995 issue, is a peach of a favorite.

I’ve never owned a .45 Colt sixgun I didn’t like, and still own all but two of them. My favorite everyday shootin’ gun is a 4 ¾" Cimarron with their high grade custom case hardened frame and deluxe bluing. As of today it has 6236 rounds through it and shoots great. Never have had a problem with it. It looks great, feels great, and pokes 255-260 gr. SWC’s at 950 fps down range in fine style.

The two Ruger Black Hawk on .45 Colt’s plus the Bisley .45 Colt are superbly accurate revolvers. The Bisley gobbles up .45 Colt 300 gr hand loads and shoots them to way out yonder like a junior artillery piece. The Ruger .45 Colts are all favorites. When I want a big sixgun for any reason I always end up reaching for a .45 Colt. In the immortal words of Shootist Extraordinaire Robert Smythe, "The .45 Colt is never a mistake".

I’d figured on stopping this after the .45 Colts but in re-reading it I see where I forgot numerous guns that were favorites but got shunted aside for various reasons, some not all together logical. My S&W M36-1 3" .38 Trail Masterpiece has been a wonderful companion, now un-used for maybe ten years. Haven’t a clue why.

In 1992 also Uberti presented me with a custom SAA sixgun in .357 Mag with Marbled Italian Walnut Stocks. Very accurate out to long distance, I put over 7000 rounds through it in no time flat, used it for .357 Mag ammo testing, and one day took it out of my gun box for some other T&E gun (now long forgotten as to what that was) and this wonderful Uberti .357 disappeared into the catacombs of my gun safe never to be shot since.

Several years ago I found an old Colt SAA .38 Special for sale. I grabbed it and began the task of shooting up all the Cor-Bon .38 SPL+P+Seconds I could lay my hands upon, which is to say every last round in the plant. This old Colt loved’em all and thought it self a target pistol with the .38 SPL 158 grs WC+P+loads we used to make. A lovely sixgun that got set aside for some new flame, never to be seen again. I can’t find it to save my life. I miss this old favorite.

And lastly there is a new favorite in my gun box that’s not even a sixgun. Springfield armory built a lightweight full sized 1911 AI for me in 9X23. Their custom shop built this pistol and it may well be the finest 1911 I’ve ever had. It’s accuracy is exquisite, it’s trigger perfect at 3 ½ lbs, it’s sights black, crisp, and clear, it’s ammo appetite omnivorous with it’s ability to shoot 9X23, .38 Super, .38 ACP, .356 TSW, 9X21, 9X22, 9MM Largo, 9MM Steyr, even 9X19, 9X18 Ultra, and .380 if one doesn’t mind a magazine fed single shot with the latter. With it’s light weight frame it’s a joy to handle and shoot. I’d always wanted a target grade .38 Super; The 9X23 trumps that big time. What a gun! What a cartridge! Wow!
Murbach.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 1894c on Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Terry Murbach - Favorite Guns

Post by JerryB »

This has been the best reading in a while, thanks.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JerryB wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:02 pmThis has been the best reading in a while, thanks.
+1.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I agree Jerry. It was very insightful into who Terry was. I was amazed that he had an exact round count for every gun that was his favorite.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I thought that odd too. I seen others that also have posted counts too. I can't imagine doing that. I couldn't even guess accurately how many guns, vehicles or girl friends I have had or places I lived.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thanks 30-30 :)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Seems we have enjoyed a number of the same guns. I know exactly or about how many rounds have been through most of my guns.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Rusty wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:30 pm I agree Jerry. It was very insightful into who Terry was. I was amazed that he had an exact round count for every gun that was his favorite.

The stack of yellow legal pads with tally marks was legend. Terry was very generous to let us shoot his guns but he could hurt your feelings sharply if you failed to register the shots you had fired. In our case, because of our lack of attention, his colt new frontier .44 special went from a specific, carefully ciphered round count to "at least 6,500 shots fired" . Once the damage was done and he had vented his displeasure, he was just as kind generous as before the offense.
m.A.g.a. !
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Just bringing this one back to the top in honor of our friend Terry.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Thanks Scott, I didn't remember ever seeing that before.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Very interesting read.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks for bumping this back up Scott!. I don't remember reading it, though I probably did. Good stuff!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I keep thinking I'll start meticulously logging round counts and tracking which reloads in which gun, etc.....but since I'm already in my sixties maybe it's a bit late for it to compile much meaningful data... :?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I never kept round counts, except I once decided to shoot a Ruger 10/22 rifle, without cleaning until it started jamming, and I was shooting pretty cheap, dirty ammo, but I can't remember now, how many it was, but it was in several thousand before I had to clean it.

I have one Colt 1911 which has had 1000's of rounds through it, because I shot IPSC with it all through the 80's and some IDPA with it in later years. I wish I had kept count. I do sort of remember how many broken parts had to be replaced over the years. I had one firing pin break, one extractor broke, and one slide stop, I think. And I wore out a few sets of checkered wood grips, and maybe a few plunger springs. And of course, I wore out a few magazines and magazine followers. But that's about it. And I am sure I replaced some recoil springs, but I don't think I ever replaced a recoil spring because it failed me, I just replaced them anyway, because they say you should, so I did, but not often.

I wore out several revolvers, and had to have them rebuilt, but I don't know the round counts, I wish I did. I am in my 60's now, and doubt I will ever wear out another gun of any kind.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I've tried to keep track of the number of rounds I put through particular guns, but I always seem to lose track or decide to trade off the gun.

But there is a lesson here. If you put that many rounds through a .22 revolver, you can probably shoot just about anything well.

What I wish I had done many years ago is pick up a good Smith K frame .22lr with a 6 inch barrel and just wear it out. I tried to do that with a Bisley .22 that Linebaugh fixed up for me with great sights and a wonderful trigger. But for some reason I haven't spent much time with that gun in recent years. Maybe it is time to go back to it.

I’ve shot this Single Six Bisley for many years. Then in 1999 John cropped the barrel, narrowed the front sight and put a free wheel pawl setup in it. I’ve shot it so much that the blue is worn off where my fingers touch the frame.

Odd that the configuration is so much like one of my new favorites, a Bisley in .327
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I don't count the number of rounds, but I shoot my Single Six .22 more than any other single action I own. I always have.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Lastmohecken wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:38 am I never kept round counts, except I once decided to shoot a Ruger 10/22 rifle, without cleaning until it started jamming, and I was shooting pretty cheap, dirty ammo, but I can't remember now, how many it was, but it was in several thousand before I had to clean it.

I have one Colt 1911 which has had 1000's of rounds through it, because I shot IPSC with it all through the 80's and some IDPA with it in later years. I wish I had kept count. I do sort of remember how many broken parts had to be replaced over the years. I had one firing pin break, one extractor broke, and one slide stop, I think. And I wore out a few sets of checkered wood grips, and maybe a few plunger springs. And of course, I wore out a few magazines and magazine followers. But that's about it. And I am sure I replaced some recoil springs, but I don't think I ever replaced a recoil spring because it failed me, I just replaced them anyway, because they say you should, so I did, but not often.

I wore out several revolvers, and had to have them rebuilt, but I don't know the round counts, I wish I did. I am in my 60's now, and doubt I will ever wear out another gun of any kind.
In my youth, I wore out a Ruger New Model Single Six revolver, but that was partly because I loved to fan it, but I also hunted with it, and did a lot of fast draw on tin cans. I also wore out a Smith and Wesson K22 and had to have it rebuilt. The main benefit to wearing out the K22 was that a good deal of that shooting was doubleaction shooting. Which enabled me to be able to shoot double action even at long range, about as well as shooting single action. The fine accuracy also finally left that K22, so I eventually traded to a friend and he still has it. He loves it but he can't shoot good enough to tell that the accuracy is not quite as good as it could be, but he doesn't care. It's still a good tin can plinker, however. And I would still rather have it then most of the current crop of double action 22's which are terrible, in the action and trigger pull dept. I later acquired another K22 and I will never wear it out.
NRA Life Member, Patron
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Lastmohecken wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:46 am In my youth, I wore out a Ruger New Model Single Six revolver, but that was partly because I loved to fan it, but I also hunted with it, and did a lot of fast draw on tin cans. I also wore out a Smith and Wesson K22 and had to have it rebuilt.
My single six was purchased by my Dad in the early 1960's. It has been rebuilt once by Hamilton Bowen.

https://leverguns.com/articles/taylor/family_gun.htm
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Never abused my K 22, but this is after thousands of rounds.

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Old Savage wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:26 am Never abused my K 22, but this is after thousands of rounds.
There ain't no flies on that!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Changes in vision and steadiness would likely preclude repeating that.

yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Nice to read one of Terry's articles again. Had breakfast with him once in Houghton, MI as he had either a sister or sister in law in the area. Incredibly knowledgeable man and none too shy about his opinions!

Eric
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:50 am I've tried to keep track of the number of rounds I put through particular guns, but I always seem to lose track or decide to trade off the gun.

But there is a lesson here. If you put that many rounds through a .22 revolver, you can probably shoot just about anything well.

What I wish I had done many years ago is pick up a good Smith K frame .22lr with a 6 inch barrel and just wear it out. I tried to do that with a Bisley .22 that Linebaugh fixed up for me with great sights and a wonderful trigger. But for some reason I haven't spent much time with that gun in recent years. Maybe it is time to go back to it.

I’ve shot this Single Six Bisley for many years. Then in 1999 John cropped the barrel, narrowed the front sight and put a free wheel pawl setup in it. I’ve shot it so much that the blue is worn off where my fingers touch the frame.

Odd that the configuration is so much like one of my new favorites, a Bisley in .327
To me there's just something special about a Bisley grip. I can't shoot a standard plow handle grip worth spit. I'm thinking about a .357 Bisley right now.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Rusty wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:54 pm To me there's just something special about a Bisley grip. I can't shoot a standard plow handle grip worth spit. I'm thinking about a .357 Bisley right now.
I also like the Bisley grip, mainly because there is enough room to get all of my fingers on the grip frame!

Some people can curl their little finger under a SAA grip but it feels unsecure to me.
black river smith
Levergunner 2.0

Post by black river smith »

I am relatively new to the board but read it a number of years before signing on. I just saw this posting and finally read through it and noticed this line of his.
1894c wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:46 pm Favorite Guns Part I
By Terry Murbach

The first 38/40 I ever shot is a Cimarron 4 ¾" SAA. It shot groups averaging 1 ¼" at 25 yards and I fell all over myself in love with that sixgun and that caliber. I feel a powerful need for a 7 ½" SA 38/40 and a ’92 lever gun.

Murbach.jpg
These three lines presently fits me to a T, except the 'need for a 7 1/2'. In 2015, I bought a 4 3/4" Cimarron 38/40 SAA and as he stated it was so accurate that it has become one of my favorites to use. The end of his third line is also my present desire to find a '92 lever gun or have something lined to 38/40. Right now, I own a Rossi 44/40 rifle that I am really thinking hard about lining to 38/40 but the cost puts its' 'overall price' real close to an original. Plus, I would also hate to lose the 44/40.

From reading the 2021 comments I have surmised that this gentleman has passed away since 2018. If so, sorry to hear that about one of the boards friends.

But I am curious as to whether this gentleman 'ever did' find a '92 lever rifle to accompany the SAA and satisfy his desire?

Thanks,
BRS