Winchester 94 Transition rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
David LaPell
Levergunner

Winchester 94 Transition rifle

Post by David LaPell »

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a Winchester 94 in .30-30, known as a "transition" rifle. This gun was made in 1939, has the newer style of barrel but has the earlier receiver minus the saddle ring and earlier buttplate. It has an excellent bore and an action silky smooth. This gun came out of Alaska, wish I knew more of the story and where it was used.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Winchester 94 Transition rifle

Post by Blaine »

Looks good for coming from a hostile climate... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

How far was the target please?

Thanks.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Welcome aboard, David! Good lookin' rifle! :mrgreen:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That was a great find, congratulations and welcome to the fire.... :)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Nice rifle - Welcome to the board !

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Sorry David. Welcome yes.

N :)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Nath wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:02 am How far was the target please?

Thanks.

N.
25 yards
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Tycer wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:04 am
Nath wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:02 am How far was the target please?

Thanks.

N.
25 yards
Doh!
Yeah see it now :roll:
Thanks Tycer.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Welcome to the fire. You've found a great place.
Nice carbine!
In my humble opinion, Winchesters quality peaked between the wars. I'm not talking about fit and finish, they had mastered that earlier. I'm considering things like metallurgy and forging quality, also. A lot was learned during WW1 about manufacturing. Between the wars, companies still cared about their name and reputation. This was carried on while a depression was going on.
After WW2, it was all about lowering production cost and maximizing profits. Nothing has changed.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to THE Forum.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Just noticed something...that buttstock is not original to the gun....that's a saddle ring carbine buttstock....and it's made from gumwood.----6
Model A Uzi’s
65bee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 65bee »

Sixgun is absolutely right! That vintage '94 carbine had the model 55 type 'shotgun' buttstock and were walnut. Gumwood went out right around WW1. Rest of gun looks good, however.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

David LaPell wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:18 pmThis gun came out of Alaska, wish I knew more of the story and where it was used.
Make something up. Include multiple man-eating bears and a one-eyed indian guide who knows how to throw a knife. Burn some cryptic hieroglyph into the wood under the butt-plate. Show it to your buddies and tell them that you don't know what it means, then when you're drinking with those buddies, turn to the rifle every once in a while and say "I know..."

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
David LaPell
Levergunner

Post by David LaPell »

Sixgun wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:35 pm Just noticed something...that buttstock is not original to the gun....that's a saddle ring carbine buttstock....and it's made from gumwood.----6
Sorry to take so long to get back on to this post, BUT, this is not the only one of these I have seen, I found two more Winchester 94's in this serial number range, had this same buttstock and they look just like this, gumwood stock and all. From what I read, they were called the transition guns because Winchester was using up all the parts they had left on hand prior to 1940 when they used the newer flat buttstock. The tang on this gun even has two screws where you can mount a tang sight. Here is another gun that was for sale, and notice the buttstock. These guns all had the older style SRC carbine buttstock without the Saddle ring but the newer style barrel with sights.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/975152046/W ... -30wcf.htm
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Great looking rifle and sounds like it is a real shooter.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ok David.......maybe so....for the most part src buttstocks were not being used after the late twenties. Anything is possible and I would have agreed if the wood to metal fit was closer.

There's several old sayings amongst collectors....it's easy to convince yourself but it's not easy to convince a future buyer. Either way, it does not hurt your rifle at all as even if it was changed, it was a contemporary change which is usually accepted.----6
Model A Uzi’s
David LaPell
Levergunner

Post by David LaPell »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:16 am Ok David.......maybe so....for the most part src buttstocks were not being used after the late twenties. Anything is possible and I would have agreed if the wood to metal fit was closer.

There's several old sayings amongst collectors....it's easy to convince yourself but it's not easy to convince a future buyer. Either way, it does not hurt your rifle at all as even if it was changed, it was a contemporary change which is usually accepted.----6
The person who I have been finally trying to get ahold of is Bert H. over at WinchesterCollector.org, he's apparently a Historian and Board member at the Winchester Arms Collector's Association. He has done research on these guns and posted this on their forum a while back.

"I have surveyed a total of (376) transitional Carbines thus far, and of that number, (42) of them were 32 Winchester Specials. Doing the math, that implies that just over 11% of the total production were made in 32 WS. My estimate of the total production for the transitional carbines is 20,850. Many of the serial numbers in the Transitional range were assigned to Model 64s. If you use my production estimate of 20,580 transitional carbines, then multiply it by 11%, the extrapolated production number for the 32 WS would be approximately 2,300. The number of them still in 85% condition is undoubtedly a lot smaller than that."

So apparently at least 376 guns like mine (or 375 plus mine if it was surveyed before I got it) exist.

He also added that

"The Model 94 "Transitional" Carbines were manufactured from approximately May 1932 through June 1937. The "transitional" had the new Proof Steel barrel, with the ramp style front sight and the 22-series rear sight, but it retained the older style butt stock and carbine butt plate. The rear sight dovetail slot remained close to the receiver frame ring. The serial number range is 1082900 - 1129750."

My gun falls into the number of 1108XX.
Again it seems as that there is a run of these guns out there, and they are their own subsection of Model 94's, I often wonder if the fact that it was during the Great Depression and maybe Winchester was trying to save money and use up as many older parts as they could. We will probably never know for sure.
Scruffy49
Levergunner

Post by Scruffy49 »

Still a nice looking 94.

I like the gumwood src buttstock. If folks would shoot them off the bicep (as designed/intended) instead of the shoulder, more would be around... That buttplate is a hold over from muzzle loader days. The pamphlet that came with our older production Great Plains .54 caplock specifically recommends bicep firing.
David LaPell
Levergunner

Post by David LaPell »

Scruffy49 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:12 am Still a nice looking 94.

I like the gumwood src buttstock. If folks would shoot them off the bicep (as designed/intended) instead of the shoulder, more would be around... That buttplate is a hold over from muzzle loader days. The pamphlet that came with our older production Great Plains .54 caplock specifically recommends bicep firing.
She's a good shooter, this is at 125 yards.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OK, your convincing me. :D although I have never heard of your research, it's more than probable....its likely.....one thing for sure......in the old days, especially during the depression, nothing got thrown out. You have to figure, there's piles of parts all over the place and there was a payroll to meet.....Joe, "says, "hey boss, I just found a pallet of SRC buttstocks". The boss tells him to make use of them. I have a low wall winder musket in .22 L.R. that did not leave the factory until 1927....it has a high number receiver that was a left over from the military contract....the bossman would say, "put a barrel and a stock on those receivers and make it in .22 Long rifle so it will sell.

Looks like you have an excellent shooter there. ---6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Interesting. Have have seen, and own a couple, post SRC examples with a carbine butt. I have never seen one late enough to have a ramp front sight with the carbine butt. Especially in gumwood. I had never heard this, but find it completely believable. As Six said, Winchester threw nothing out.
Looks like a shooter, for sure! I like the 32WS. I have several examples, in rifle and carbine. They all shoot well. My most accurate Winchester lever is a 32.
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Post by QCI Winchesters »

Also, remember that Winchester used the same butt with carbine buttplate on the 1892 carbine, 1895 carbine, and 1895 and 92 muskets. A possible source for carbine butts would me those left over from the end of 1895 carbine production, but all I have seen were walnut.
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

All of mine with gumwood are from around 1900 to 1910.
All prior to, and later, are walnut.
If I've learned anything, however, is that there is no absolutes.
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Post by QCI Winchesters »

OldWin wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:35 am All of mine with gumwood are from around 1900 to 1910.
All prior to, and later, are walnut.
If I've learned anything, however, is that there is no absolutes.
I had one from 1904, and another from 1913, both were gumwood, and currently have one from 1910, walnut.
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Howdy folks, new here saw this post thought I would chime in. I have one of the transitional 94 carbine s myself 1,115,xxx .
There are so many variations during this time,the finishes on this era is of great interest to me . They were still using machine bluing on receivers and rust bluing on barrels and mag tubes until 1938.
Side by side with a 1948 carbine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Sixgun is likely your man on this.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

For the record these same transitional rifles are found in the 1892 carbine. Friend of mine has a model 92 with ramped front barrel ,whelen fluted comb model 55 steel buttplate,eastern type receiver with no saddle ring.

I've seen these carbines with carbine buttplate,with 55 serrated steel buttplate, 22H rear sight 3C short elevator,#44 ladder sight . The serial range is pretty close on these .Renneburg notes and shows these in his book.

When I purchased mine a gun shop had two serial numbers very close together ,wish I could have purchased both but glad I got the one I did.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

There's nothing like a pre war Winchester!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Beautiful rifle. I wish it could tell us where it has been and what it has witnessed.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I got my serial number wrong,had to get it out of safe its
1,105,441 1936 production .This rifle is almost new and may be unfired ,there was no evidence of any fouling ,copper or staining inside but like so many rifles of the era the machine bluing on the receiver and buttplate have flaked.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Welcome from another rookie and congrats on a neat ole 94. I have a 38 model which is just your standard ole 94. Ugly as sin, but boy that action is like melted butter on an eels belly.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Does your 38 have a saddlering carbine buttplate or the straight serrated 55 type?
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

The regular serrated version.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Recently saw one of these transitional carbines on gunbroker an#1017653 this is a lot earlier number than previously believed . This carbine had ramp front sight ,saddlering,carbine buttplate.

Interestingly there is a carbine on there now in the 1059xxx 1929 that has no saddle ring but has post front sight.

Based on what I've seen the transition carbines were observed over 100,000 serial numbers .
This is a very interesting subject to me ,anyone else has one of these transitional carbines be sure to post up the specifics.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

OldWin wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:33 am Welcome to the fire. You've found a great place.
Nice carbine!
In my humble opinion, Winchesters quality peaked between the wars.
I think most mechanical things did, except maybe automobiles; the 50’s and 60’s were pretty cool.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Pat C wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:31 am Recently saw one of these transitional carbines on gunbroker an#1017653 this is a lot earlier number than previously believed . This carbine had ramp front sight ,saddlering,carbine buttplate.

Interestingly there is a carbine on there now in the 1059xxx 1929 that has no saddle ring but has post front sight.

Based on what I've seen the transition carbines were observed over 100,000 serial numbers .
This is a very interesting subject to me ,anyone else has one of these transitional carbines be sure to post up the specifics.

Disregard this info as I found out the carbine had a mail order proofed barrel . Still need any info concerning legit transitional carbines ..