Help with scope ring info, please?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Help with scope ring info, please?

Post by Canuck Bob »

I don't know much about scope rings. I need to scope two Handis with iron sights and will use the #82 Weaver base, actually one rifle has one already installed. I recently bought some Warne QD rings for my CZ 527s. One of them has iron sights so I wanted to take the scopes off easily. Very happy with the rings but hate the cost of these levered QD rings up here.

I looked at the old style Weaver Top Mount rings and they are a nice compromise. The base clamp nut makes them easily removed but the cost is sensible. They also have a couple of different styles that are similar. The Quad Lock and the Sure Grip, from a Midway search. Anyone care to share their experiences and thoughts on the old Top Mount or its younger siblings? One note I am only interested in American manufacture. I've read the Quad Lock might be from offshore.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Re: Help with scope ring info, please?

Post by Canuck Bob »

I should add I used the Top Mount rings once years ago on a short lived experiment with a 444. I remember no problems and the scope was not marked up, still own it. Recoil didn't budge the scope. As you folks know the 444 kicks a bit. I also remember fighting with a canted reticle because of the one sided screw clamp system It took a few minutes to offset a bit before tightening.

Also the Weaver rings are common used and cheap. They aren't pretty but then again its not going on a fancy expensive set of rifles!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Those dirty dogs! I just went and looked at the set of "Quad-Lock" rings I bought a few days ago and.... sure enough: "Made in China". Sheeesh!

Nearly all of my bases and rings are Weaver. Won't be getting "Quad-Locks" anymore.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Sorry I use EGW bases and Warne rings on everything. Expensive..yes but quality. If you keep watching fleabay they come up often and I have bought some at gunshows in boxes of rings the owner didnt lnow what they were.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

earlmck wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:29 am Those dirty dogs! I just went and looked at the set of "Quad-Lock" rings I bought a few days ago and.... sure enough: "Made in China". Sheeesh!

Nearly all of my bases and rings are Weaver. Won't be getting "Quad-Locks" anymore.
The last Quad-Locks I bought were steel, cost $21.75, and were Made in USA, versus the aluminum versions I have encountered before priced $9.99 and Made in China.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The steel Weaver rings are as good as you can get for any price in my opinion. I bought Leupold bases and rings once. The scope had to be zeroed each time the gun was used with them. They let the zero wander more than Jack Reacher or Casca.

Any rings which are Weaver style and made in the U.S. will work for me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Pisgah wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:56 pm
earlmck wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:29 am Those dirty dogs! I just went and looked at the set of "Quad-Lock" rings I bought a few days ago and.... sure enough: "Made in China". Sheeesh!

The last Quad-Locks I bought were steel, cost $21.75, and were Made in USA, versus the aluminum versions I have encountered before priced $9.99 and Made in China.
Aaaaagh! And they're aluminum too? I hadn't even opened the package I bought -- just picked them up to have a set handy next time I want to put a scope on something. They go in the trashcan!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

The more I look into this the more I think I'm chasing false economy. The weaver base and Warne quick detach might just be worth the money after all. The Warne QDs on my CZ527 are very nice for ease of use, sturdy, and appear scope finish safe. If I wasn't so cheap it would be a no brainer!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Given the choice between steel and aluminum scope rings, it would be steel every time for me. Aluminum are a stopgap measure only to be used in an emergency until you can get the steel ones, at least in my opinion.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I had no idea that aluminum was considered a problem by some shooters. I'm looking into steel options now. I almost ordered Nikon A-Series aluminum rings last night. I like the QD Warne's design but the standard type look like a guy would need three hands to be removing or swapping optics much.

It seems the range for steel QDs here is $90 to $150 a set!

Any suggestions levergunners?
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Actually the warne regular rings arent that bad to transfer from gun to gun, once they are on the.scope. The top screws hold the scope and most of the time you need to really loosen the bottom screws and it will come off the rail. I called Watne last year saying I buggered a torx head scope ring screw. They sent me a complete set of screws for nada.
I have gotten a couple sets of Warne Quick detach new off fleabay for $50ish, but I look all the time.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Going to ditch the QDs for now. I found a supplier that sells the Warne standard Weaver style so I think I'll go this route. I'll scope the Handi Hornet and maybe wait on the Handi 30 WCF. Thanks everyone.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I will be using the Weaver Handi base and Warne Maxima rings, probably in low, matt, and QD. I'm checking on the Greybeard Handi site whether mediums might be better.