32 Special bullet and loading questions?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

32 Special bullet and loading questions?

Post by Canuck Bob »

I am starting to reload my early 50's 94 with a peep. I am wondering about bullet performance for accuracy. Hunting is not an issue and the two Hornady choices, 170 gr FN and FTX, and the Speer FN are the ones easily available to me here in Canada. If it is a toss up the Hornady RN gets the call due to easier supply. The FTX, hate or love it, gets good reviews for accuracy. The Speer has a slicker BC and a nice ample bearing surface with good reviews also.

The ranges will be 50 yds offhand and 100-150 yd targets and gongs, reasonably serious training planned. The ammo will be built to better than factory standards and crimped in the groove. The velocity will run 1800-2000 with case friendly pressures.

What do you recommend?

Also did Lee ever supply 32 WS collet dies?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: 32 Special bullet and loading questions?

Post by J Miller »

Bob,

I've never loaded for the 32 WS but have loaded countless 1000s of 30-30s. I think they are close enough that in general the things that work for the 30-30 will work for the 32 WS.

Many summers ago I was loading DuPont IMR 4895 and 3031 in the 30-30 and getting more and more frustrated with the fact I felt the need to weigh every charge. The Lee dippers were not accurate enough and the Redding powder measure I got later was worse.
One day I stumbled upon an early 70s Winchester loading data pamphlet and read the loads using Win 748 ball powder. I tried it and oh what a wonderful powder. Clean to use, extremely consistent from my powder measure round after round on targets. So for over 45 years that one load has been my go-to powder charge for the 30-30.

For the bullets, I've tried 'em all except the FTX's and keep coming back to the Speers. Every 30-30 I've tried that load in has produced great accuracy with it.

All of my ammo is built to be factory duplication loads. I've never felt the need for light loads or heavier than normal ones in the lever guns. So if you can find one of those old Winchester pamphlets, or perhaps a current Hodgden Annual Manual you should be good to go.

I've tried the Lee FC die in 30-30 and would simply suggest that it's a waste of money unless you are going to shoot cast bullets. The crimp ring in my standard die sets, I have several for the 30-30, make excellent crimps when the cases are trimmed to a consistent length.

Peep sights will give excellent accuracy at the ranges you mentioned.

If you can't find one of the old Winchester pamphlets let me know and I'll dig mine out and post the load for you.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Thanks Joe, I am locked in with powder choice, H4895, IMR4198, SR4759, and IMR4227. I stocked up when prices stabilized after the past insanity and won't spend more as it is a lifetime supply at my usage rate. I am loading for two categories, 223 and Hornet then the 30-30, 303, 32 Special. I don't use a measure and will continue to weigh each charge and use my dippers. I am quite sick, cancer, and basically retired and home bound lots. It is possible to work at reloading many hours a week and a major sanity saver!
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Bob, I used the 170 gr flat point Hornady for years and it shot well and killed very well at around 2000 fps. When we had the shortage a few years back I needed bullets and there wasn't any to be found except the Speers so I loaded them over my standard load and they shot very well, better than the Hornady's even. I tested them on a few deer and was not surprised that they killed them as well. Either bullet will do what you want.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Canuck Bob wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:34 pm Thanks Joe, I am locked in with powder choice, H4895, IMR4198, SR4759, and IMR4227. I stocked up when prices stabilized after the past insanity and won't spend more as it is a lifetime supply at my usage rate. I am loading for two categories, 223 and Hornet then the 30-30, 303, 32 Special. I don't use a measure and will continue to weigh each charge and use my dippers. I am quite sick, cancer, and basically retired and home bound lots. It is possible to work at reloading many hours a week and a major sanity saver!
Bob,

Sorry to hear about the cancer. If it isn't one thing it's another and sometimes it seams we just can't win.
Anywho the only powder you have there that I have experience with is the 4895. With the way you are going about it you'll be able to make some really great loads.

Take care of yourself.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Dang, sorry about your health!!
my 32 spl. was made in 1911 (src) doesn't look like much but a good shooter, seldom shoot jacketed bullets but have a bunch in Hornady & speer, my powder of choice is RL7 but that's what I had most of, shot a lot of cast bullets with H 4198 & that always does well for me, cant help much with the powders you listed but any of them should work well for banging steel

Brad