Been away awhile back with brass questions?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Been away awhile back with brass questions?

Post by Canuck Bob »

Nice to be back. Health keeps me busy but all is well. I have picked up a 30-30 Handi and a second CZ 527 lefty 223 recently.

My question is regarding current quality of 30-30 and 32 Special brass. I am stocking up and want to buy same lot number quality cases or loaded ammo with good cases. My needs are modest so the cost is secondary within reason. Please be aware I realize many will find this utter nonsense for these cartridges but no range scrap or mixed case 1X fired for me. Also I searched and the web is full of advice but it became apparent that there are many more complaints about brass the newer the posts are.

I bought some Winchester Hornet ammo and was not impressed with the resulting brass as an example. I have some Hornady 223 ammo and the brass seems good. Hornady is one brand I'm interested in except for outrageous new brass pricing. Ammo abounds at a reasonable price, particularly the new American Whitetail 30-30.

Thanks in advance.

Bob
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Been away awhile back with brass questions?

Post by M. M. Wright »

I buy Starline and have had outstanding service from it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I can speak highly of Starline brass also, never had any trouble with it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Bob....any major brand will be fine....the 30-30 is a low pressure round so there is no real need to be fancy. I buy it by the thousand, once fired and make a half dozen other calibers out of it.---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

What 6 said. I even make 41 Colt or 300 Savage out of it. Takes a little lathe work but I got plenty of time.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Been using W-W 223 brass since 2006, really pushed the velocity limits and cases are still fine. Well I lost 2 cause they got smashed they were resized, lost some skin too. Good catch on the LH CZ. I passed on one a few years back cuz it wasn't a 222, not my smarter thought. Glad your feeling well. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Well I gave my head a shake. I'm going with Winchester brass or ammo for cases. 30-30 and 32 Special should be in Winnie brass maybe! If it isn't junk I'm going to standardize. It is half price and most reports are quite satisfactory. I'll report on quality once I pull the trigger.