The Real "Capt Woodrow Call"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

The Real "Capt Woodrow Call"

Post by Old No7 »

Here's a follow-up to this post by John, aka our friend from across the pond: "gamekeeper"
gamekeeper wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:40 amPaco Kelly's Leverguns.com is usually very civilised and easy to use, like Capt Woodrow Call, we won't tolerate rude behaviour..... :D
Enjoy! :wink:

Old No7

THE REAL TEXAN WHO INSPIRED CAPTAIN WOODROW F. CALL

Like all trailblazers, he simply ignored the naysayers.

In the mini-series Lonesome Dove, Charles Goodnight was immortalized loosely as Captain Woodrow F. Call, played by Tommy Lee Jones. In truth, Charles Goodnight in real life was even more fascinating than the fictional Woodrow Call.

Goodnight, who is the most famous rancher in Texas history, and the most ubiquitous Texan of his time, became a Texas Ranger at the age of 21. They recruited him because he was already locally famous in North Texas as a skilled Indian scout and tracker. The year was 1857 and the Texas Rangers and the U.S. Army were the front line of defense against Native American raids into Central Texas.

Goodnight tells of how the Texas Rangers one day got an inexperienced commander from back East. This commander had never fought Native Americans. He had never been out on the great plains. Yet he was all puffed up with self-importance and wanted to charge out and take on some Comanches. So he ordered the Rangers westward and after a couple of days, he spotted his first Indians on a distant hill.

Excited, he called Goodnight over and asked him, “What kind of Indians are those?” Goodnight paused and said, “Antelope.” The rookie Commander thought Goodnight was lying to him and ordered the Rangers to charge the group. Goodnight said, “We charged, laughing all the way, and successfully routed those antelope without losing a man.”

Goodnight was always fascinated by the shields the Native Americans carried to stop arrows and bullets. He had always heard that the shields had reams of paper stuffed inside to make them bullet resistant. One day he shot at an Indian retreating into the brush. His target escaped but dropped his shield. Goodnight took it back to the camp and pried open the buffalo skin cover and wood frame and was shocked to discover an entire book inside. The book was The History of the Roman Empire. It solved the mystery as to why raiding Comanche so often took Bibles. They wanted the paper to bulletproof their shields, or, more accurately, to make them bullet-resistant. (They should have looked for Moby Dick. I always found that novel impenetrable. Don’t know what it would do against bullets, but it makes a hell of a door stopper.)

Charles Goodnight was indeed a genuine Texas Ranger, but he was also a genuine business entrepreneur. Had he lived a century later he might well have been someone like Michael Dell or Mark Cuban.

His biographer, J. Evetts Haley, said that Goodnight and his partner Oliver Loving were the first to drive cattle from Texas to Colorado. But before he started on this venture, everyone told Goodnight it couldn’t be done. They told him he couldn’t get cattle across the desert-like conditions of West Texas. They told him he would be brutally killed by Apache or Comanches, staked out naked on an ant bed to wait for vultures to pick his bones.

They told him that even if he did make it, the cattle would be mere skeletons by then and he’d have nothing to sell. Like all trailblazers, he simply ignored the naysayers. He ignored those who were always around to predict failure.

He proved them wrong and got rich doing so. He was only 30 years old at the time. Many Texans followed his lead and the trail became famous as the Goodnight-Loving Trail. Loving, by the way, was loosely depicted as Gus McCrae in Lonesome Dove.

Though Goodnight eventually owned the biggest ranch in Texas, well over a million acres, when he was in his 90s, J. Evetts Haley, Goodnight’s foremost biographer, reported that he had this to say about his tumultuous life:

“All in all, my years on the cattle trail were the happiest I have lived. There were many hardships and dangers, of course, that called on all a man had of endurance and bravery; but when all went well there was no other life so pleasant. Most of the time we were solitary adventurers in a great land as fresh and new as a spring morning, and we were free and full of the zest of those who dared.”

Written by W.F. Strong;
A Fulbright Scholar and professor of Culture and Communication at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Real "Capt Woodrow Call"

Post by marlinman93 »

Charles Goodnight's life is probably more interesting than the character Woodrow Call. Not only did he do all the things Call did, but much more! And living a very long life allowed him to see the old west changing, and he tried to ensure it was remembered. He spent his own money to document an early movie based on the old west. He also saw the buffalo being decimated, and spent his own money to gather up as many as he could and keep them on his ranch to multiply and save the species. Many of his private herd were used to restock buffalo throughout the USA later.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Excellent AND interesting - Thanks for posting it. :)

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Thanks for sharing.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Thanks for posting Darryl, American history as always been one of my interests. I have often wondered why Hollywood often ignores real history and prefers fiction that is not nearly as interesting.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Thanks.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I've always found "Moby Dick' to be an interesting and educational read, if you want to learn about whales and whaling.

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Good stuff!
I read Moby Dick, by choice!! Friends were moving and a copy was on their book shelf, asked if I could borrow it. They said keep it! So I took it on our yearly Canada fishin trip. Once I got into it I had finished it in 2 weeks. Yeah it's long but I enjoyed it.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Boy, I know it's been a while since I watched Lonesome Dove, but wasn't there a Charles Goodnight in the movie. Didn't he think that Blue Duck was dead and that's why he quit chasing the man burner?

Going to have to dig the VHS machine out.

Edit,

Okay Charles Goodnight shows up in the sequel mini series Streets of Laredo.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The West was a unique time in history and many more adventures happened than we know. It took men who were tough and self reliant. Goodnight was one of the best. Jack Hayes was another who made history. Portugee Phillips made a ride that makes the Pony Express rides look like a lazy evening stroll. It has never been equalled. The settler in what is now Liberal Kansas made history and had a town named after his treatment of others. Who else have you ever heard of who gave the wagon trains on the Oregon Trail so much water from his own well which he dig by hand that the area became known as Liberal. In those days liberal meant that you freely gave of your own possessions. Jim Bridger and John Colter were Men of the old breed who helped open the West. Colter ran into history with his hands tied behind him and killed some of the Blackfoot warriors escaping from them while naked and still with his hands tied behind him.
The men who had the guts to fight for the right to live were ones who made an indelible mark on history.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Goodnight is ine of my favorite leople to read about. Amazing
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

piller wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:28 pm The West was a unique time in history and many more adventures happened than we know. It took men who were tough and self reliant. Goodnight was one of the best. Jack Hayes was another who made history. Portugee Phillips made a ride that makes the Pony Express rides look like a lazy evening stroll. It has never been equalled. The settler in what is now Liberal Kansas made history and had a town named after his treatment of others. Who else have you ever heard of who gave the wagon trains on the Oregon Trail so much water from his own well which he dig by hand that the area became known as Liberal. In those days liberal meant that you freely gave of your own possessions. Jim Bridger and John Colter were Men of the old breed who helped open the West. Colter ran into history with his hands tied behind him and killed some of the Blackfoot warriors escaping from them while naked and still with his hands tied behind him.
The men who had the guts to fight for the right to live were ones who made an indelible mark on history.
I believe Portugee was the inspiration for the Marty Robbins song, Ride Cowboy Ride.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Of course from the Comanche point of view, its totally different. Goodnight, the Texas Rangers, the cattlemen, buffalo runners and the like are their version of the Nazis. To whoever is left anyway.

Without the momentously pompous and dated quasi educational filler about whales, Moby Dick is a good story. With it, it is indeed impenetrable.
In a parallel universe it was a famous and much better short story.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
BigLost
Levergunner

Post by BigLost »

I'm new here so I'll say sorry in advance to all you W.F. Call fans; but at several points in the story; had I been in the situation that he introduced himself into; especially if the focus of his attention; immediate and intense gunfire would 've resulted. I've no use for those that presume they have the right to impose themselves in the manner that he did several times. I love the story; but because of personal exper. with people like him..., I rewatch it only haltingly. Now as to Gus..........he is so like me that everytime I rewatch L.D. I enjoy him as much as I did the very first time !!, peas in a pod .
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

BigLost wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:25 pm I'm new here so I'll say sorry in advance to all you W.F. Call fans; but at several points in the story; had I been in the situation that he introduced himself into; especially if the focus of his attention; immediate and intense gunfire would 've resulted. I've no use for those that presume they have the right to impose themselves in the manner that he did several times. I love the story; but because of personal exper. with people like him..., I rewatch it only haltingly. Now as to Gus..........he is so like me that everytime I rewatch L.D. I enjoy him as much as I did the very first time !!, peas in a pod .
Whether a new member or an old mossy horn, all opinions (voiced politely as yours was) are accepted. Welcome to the fire, hope to here more from you.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

What a GREAT initial post and thread!

A keeper.

Amazing stuff. "Lonesome Dove" is one of my all-time favorite "Movies" - mini-series - of any genre. This thread gives it even more meaning. And it fits in with my current forum signature line: "Character is Destiny."

Thank you, all.
navajo
Levergunner

Post by navajo »

I am a Texan and never tire of the history of the early West.
This was a good read.
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodtroll »

BigLost wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:25 pm had I been in the situation that he introduced himself into; especially if the focus of his attention; immediate and intense gunfire would 've resulted. I've no use for those that presume they have the right to impose themselves in the manner that he did several times.

I'd be curious as to which incidents you're referring to. I had a hard time warming up to Call myself, although a few of his "moments" were standouts in the movie. The more often I watch the movie the more I think I understand him. The books helped a lot with that too (much more detail, of course, than the movie). Not being argumentative at all, just curious...
Running the ridges and rivers of Virginia's southern Appalachians
Ridgerunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ridgerunner »

One thing I can never get over is the judgement of actions taken in years past, before 911, courts, lawyers were widespread by the mores of today. In the American West, especially in the area of Texas, it was days even weeks to the nearest settlement. The Rangers were really judge, jury and often executioner on the frontier. It was a simple matter of logistics. Capt. Call broke up fights, took up for Newt despite not claiming him and hung a former Ranger who fell in with horse thieves and manburners. They were a threat to the people they encountered, and Call acted in the tradition of frontier justice. Once again, this need to be viewed in the time in which it occurred. I have a problem with thugs imposing their will on women and the elderly; however, I know, absent personal threat of death or serious bodily injury, deadly force is off the table. I have absolutely no problem with the actions taken by Call and Mcrae. It was hard men who were willing to get their hands dirty and bloody that allowed the western expansion of the US. Try and view it in that light before sitting in judgement....
Confederately yours,

Ridgerunner
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The Texas Rangers of the Old West were tough men, and they had to be. Ridgerunner gave a good explanation of what their law enforcement duties were. They also had to protect the frontier and to fight the indians. Most Texas Rangers were known as men whom you didn't want to get in a fight with. If many of them were somewhat outspoken, it was probably due to their tough job. In a place where your good name was worth more than gold, you might have to fight often. Being a bit pushy might avoid some of the fights back then.
D. Brian Casady
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Right on, Ridgerunner and Piller.
navajo
Levergunner

Post by navajo »

If any of you ever get down here to Texas,
The Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum is in Waco.
I have been there several times and it is worth a visit.
You could spend a day in there just looking at the guns.
If you are a lever-gun fanatic, it will blow your mind.
They have a film that they put on that tells the history
of the Texas Rangers as well.
I have a book that I bought there called "Battles of Texas"
that I am reading now. Good stuff.
I never tire of the history of my state.
BigLost
Levergunner

Post by BigLost »

Having of late , found this old phone lost in my suburban since posting this ; I really enjoyed , and appreciate the response ; tho it seems I ruffled feathers , such was not my intention ;it was just a statement ; mostly because I have very FEW allies on my side of the fence ,concerning Call ; I was not claiming to be right or conversely , that Call was wrong ; only thats how I felt about his actions ; and as I said , my reaction to him has been influenced by personal experiences ; but isn t that how most peoples lived in those hard & lawless days ?, maybe that s why L.D. is so revered by A LOT of people. . . . , Monte Walsh , Tom Horn , and Blood on the Moon appeal to me the same way ; just seems like how people lived real life,not accounted as good or bad , just living life in its reality .
Thanx ,
Biglost
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome back to the campfire Biglost :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
BigLost
Levergunner

Post by BigLost »

thanx GK ; greetings from Bayou Marie ,in central Loozyana ! , glad to be back !
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

BigLost wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:39 pm thanx GK ; greetings from Bayou Marie ,in central Loozyana ! , glad to be back !
Any fan of Lonesome Dove is likely to find a few good friends here.. :D
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Thanks for bringing this thread back around, a thoroughly enjoyable read !
Lonesome Dove is about my favorite Western Movie. Hard to believe it has been around 32 years already.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Very interesting post. Thanks.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If you have time when going to or through Waco, please stop at the Texas Ranger Museum and Hall of Fame. It is well worth the visit. If you still have time, go to the Dr Pepper museum. Believe it or not, Dr Pepper has been around longer than Coca Cola. Museums are great places to spend some time.

As far as personality of people in the Old West, well, it was a different time and place. I doubt that most of the real people back then cared much beyond being considered honest what others thought of them. They had a tough existence and had to put most of their effort into simply surviving. Being thought of as honest and respected for your willingness to work or fight for what was yours was very important for their society. Whether they were friends didn't always mean much.
D. Brian Casady
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:13 pm I have often wondered why Hollywood often ignores real history and prefers fiction that is not nearly as interesting.
Because Hollyweird is made up of stuff-for-brains leftists worms... but you knew that!
Grapenut
Levergunner

Post by Grapenut »

Outstanding thread and new to me.
I just joined the forum and having been born and raised in Lubbock, Texas, I find
anything about Goodnight and the big West Texas ranches fascinating !

Nut
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Welcome aboard.
D. Brian Casady