Mounting scopes on 9422 and Handi Hornet.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Mounting scopes on 9422 and Handi Hornet.

Post by Canuck Bob »

I've resisted scopes until post 60. Time has caught up and optics are now on the table.

I have 4 scopes, M8 4X28 Compact, M8 2.5X20 Compact, FX II 4X33 Leupolds, and a lonely Zeiss 4X Conquest. I am not in the market for any more gear unless absolutely necessary to use what I have, i.e. mounts for rifles.

Current plan, 4X Zeiss on a nice lefty CZ 527American. The 6X seems to make more sense on a 223 but not after looking through the Zeiss! The 6X FX on a nice man size Weihrauch 35E breakbarrel air rifle, parallax adjusted of course.

Here's the rub. The 4X28 Compact (rimfire) scope on the 9422. The 2.5X on the Handi Hornet. I'm hoping to mount these scopes just ahead of the hammer and real low. Then stock crawling a bit to use the scope. The little 4X has 4.5" relief and the 2.5X has 5". The 9422 probably works ok with a low mount scope with the hammer below the scope and an extension if needs be.

The Handi sucks with an unusually high hammer that forces scopes up in normal configuration.

Any input pro or con and pictures sure appreciated? Seeing these mounted will help greatly.

I'm more than willing to use the little 2.5X on the 9422 if it makes more sense. I am very fond of that scope and specs. It goes without saying the 9422 is the one that will be used and cherished the most. The Handi was bought because it is a fun little gun with a Hornet chamber and 1 in 9 twist. However it is a plastic stocked gem with zero attachment.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Mounting scopes on 9422 and Handi Hornet.

Post by Old Savage »

Scopes should not be mounted on 92s. Send them to me.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:42 pm Scopes should not be mounted on 92s. Send them to me.
Can't blame a man for trying! A Californian who uses rifle scopes! I thought most of you guys moved to Texas.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I am not going anywhere. The weak leave. But, what I want is a 9422 Mag.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I almost bought a 9422 Magnum but it was during the ammo craziness. Found a used standard 22 early model instead. At that time the plan was to install a steel Lyman 66 to the 9422, darn vision! The 9422 is an unusually nice lever action rifle and scoping seems so blasphemous. However I would rather shoot it than polish it.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Your break barrel air rifle might eat that scope up over time.
Air guns and semi auto 22's recoil FORWARD. Rifle scopes are designed for backwards recoil. Airgun scopes are engineered to take that forward abuse. Make sure you lock tote the base screws!
I'm not say it is going to happen but it very possible.
Otherwise I think your train of thought is good.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I understand your problem with old eyes, mine are likely older than yours!
While a scope answers the problem really well I have found that receiver peeps or tang sights are almost as good, have you considered that?
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I'd just put an Uncle Mike's offset hammer spur (under $10) on the 9422.

mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

The 3/8" grooves on the 9422 are a pain but quality mounts and adapters are everywhere, most small red dots come with a reversible mount.
I have a couple of the XS fwd rails and would have a Scout setup on every lever action if I could, dot or not.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:13 am Your break barrel air rifle might eat that scope up over time.
Air guns and semi auto 22's recoil FORWARD. Rifle scopes are designed for backwards recoil. Airgun scopes are engineered to take that forward abuse. Make sure you lock tote the base screws!
I'm not say it is going to happen but it very possible.
Otherwise I think your train of thought is good.
Good point. Leupold advertises that their scopes are springer safe. The airgun community seems to agree. At least I know they will fix it if the scope fails! The HW 35E 22cal. is a medium kicker but for safety sake the Zeiss won't go on a springer..

It is interesting that scopes that can handle Ruger No.1 45-70 loads can't handle the reversing recoil of a .177 pellet gun. Of course the honkin' big spring is the culprit.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Pete, what Nikon is that and how happy are you with the Handi setup, please?

Can you also list out the mount and ring combo as well?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The pic isn't my rifle - it's one I set up for an acquaintance, and IIRC it was a (now discontinued ?) fixed power (4X) in Millett Angle-Loc rings on a weaver-type rail that was made for the Handi scope prep hole pattern.

AFAIK, the owner loves it, and my Son really likes the two Nikon scopes he has mounted on the .300 WinMag and .50 muzzleloading barrels of his T/C Encore Pro Hunter.

Nikon makes quality glass, with sight pictures as clear as a bell.

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Borregos wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:45 am I understand your problem with old eyes, mine are likely older than yours!
While a scope answers the problem really well I have found that receiver peeps or tang sights are almost as good, have you considered that?
I am a peep sight guy. My 32 Special has a nice Lyman 66 steel on it. I also hunted for decades with a 444 with a Williams FP. My issue is chemo related. It has affected my vision and given me matching cataracts! I no longer "see" the front sight as I should. My 32 Win 94 is my camp rifle now and I can do a good job on a bear with a peep but 50 yards is it.

Putting a scope on my 9422 truly irritates me. However not shooting it irritates more. Secretly I am real pleased with the precision that a scope offers! But let's keep that between us :lol: .
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I won't tell anyone, Bob.......... :mrgreen:

BTW - when both my eyes developed cataracts, I had a new lens installed in each eye ( 2 weeks apart), which not only took care of the cataracts, but surprisingly improved my eye's color perception to the 10th power.

Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Canuck Bob wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:40 am
Borregos wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:45 am I understand your problem with old eyes, mine are likely older than yours!
I am a peep sight guy. My 32 Special has a nice Lyman 66 steel on it. I also hunted for decades with a 444 with a Williams FP. My issue is chemo related. It has affected my vision and given me matching cataracts! I no longer "see" the front sight as I should. My 32 Win 94 is my camp rifle now and I can do a good job on a bear with a peep but 50 yards is it.

Putting a scope on my 9422 truly irritates me. However not shooting it irritates more. Secretly I am real pleased with the precision that a scope offers! But let's keep that between us :lol: .
OK, now I understand better!!

Recently got this 9422 Cheyenne Commemorative for almost next to nothing, it has a Tasco scope mounted on it, I hate the looks but it shoots great!! By the way gamekeeper this one will not feed shorts either!!
Cheyenne.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Here is a forgotten thread I started awhile ago. Near the end I did some rough testing for fit. The advice to get a hammer extension for the 9422 is looking more appealing. The Compact Leupold's would set up with the eye bell over the hammer I think.

The Handi Hornet is getting a forward of hammer set up.

Before continuing I'm going to a local 50 yard indoor range and see just how limiting my 32 Special peep really is. The original plan before relapse was to outfit the 9422 the same as the 94. Definitely worth one more look!

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... light=9422
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Canuck Bob,
+1 on using an indoor range to best determine which ammo is most accurate in your 9422M.

That was the first thing when I bought my 9422M(with scope) from an estate sale. Took several different brands of ammo and shot all of them at 25, 50, 100 yards. My 9422M likes the heavier bullets and with two brands of 50 grain bullets, It shot minute of angle at each distance out to 100 yards. I am a plinker and hunter and not a target shooter, so this is good enough for my grandson and me.

PS The scope does detract from the lines of the rifle, but it really improves accuracy for me.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I,ve decided to move forward with a Weaver OT-10 extended base and a hammer spur. My vision just sucks without optics. Here is a pic received over on the rimfire forum with a 4x28 Leupold RF scope. The 2.5X is almost identical from bell to turret.

001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.