Anchorage Trip information

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ragnor
Levergunner 1.0

Anchorage Trip information

Post by Ragnor »

Hello fellow Levergunners ! I am planning to visit the Anchorage AK area for the first time in the next couple of weeks. Hoping for advice, information, and wisdom about sights to take in and also possible fishing trips and also gunshops :D that are worth looking into. Would love to spend a day for Halibut/ Salmon fishing. Lodging ideas would be welcome. I will spending 1 week.

Thanks all !
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Anchorage Trip information

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I would have to visit Wild West Guns shop while there. Have fun on your trip!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Too bad that you'll be a little late to experience the active Moose Nursery, in the Lowe's parking lot there. . :mrgreen:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/02/us/moose- ... index.html#

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

No feedback?

I lived in SE mostly. Haven't lived in Anchorage since about '47 . . . so not a lot of current info. Presently living outside.

Is this a business trip, or do you just want to see Alaska? Chamber of Commerce and the tourist bureau have that kind of info.

There are lots of sportfishing opportunities.

Anchorage contains about half the people population of the state. The greenbelts are shared with moose and bears. Moose and bears kill people with some regularity, even in the city environs. There is a large range of tide over the mudflats, which have mud so deep you can sink in and not get out before the ocean covers you, if no one rescues you.

Other than these quirks, the city has all the other visicitudes of every city.

Hopefully a local will chip in with some useful info about their fair city.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I would have to visit Wild West Guns shop while there. Have fun on your trip!
This.

Too bad the original Birdhouse is gone... :cry: Burnt up (couldn't burn down, was mostly underground) shortly after I left. In protest maybe. :wink: But its spirit is, so I am told, in one of Chilkoot Charlie's theme areas.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

My wife and I are going to Anchorage in August and then taking a cruise ship to Vancouver.
pleas post about your trip when you return.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

We were there at the end of a cruise, would like to go back by air. Wife is cruised out, gets too sick to enjoy.

There is a very good museum downtown, don't remember the name but should be easy to find.

Several traditional motels including a Travelodge, I would get on VRBO and see what kind of alternates are there.

Train trips to Denali.

If you want to fish the best place besides a high dollar fly out to one of the island lodges is the Kenai peninsula. But it fills up fast. I'd get on the 'net and try to pin something down ASAP. Another choice would be fly to one of the larger cities like Ketchikan or Juneau and book fishing out of there. Would also let you see more of Alaska.

Have fun and let us know how you do.
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

When are you going? I can get you the info for the trip I did in September with GREAT results out of Whittier,Alaska for Halibut. For local fishing you can check at the Gear shops on the board to see where the fish are hitting. Jim at Wild west is a great stop, a bit pricey but great guy to talk to if he is not at the Vegas shop.

Will check for more info and post it when I get near my house.

Contact http://www.whittieralaskacharters.com/ ask for CPT Butler 907-268-1895. He took us out for Halibut and all of us caught our limit with the largest being 85 pounds with a GREAT crew. Check http://www.anchorage.net/ for things going on in Anchorage and area. The train ride to Denali if you have time you would enjoy seeing things you can't driving. If I am at the house (Anchorage) would be glade to show you around but not sure where I will be in a few weeks. Contact me with a phone number I will call if you have an questions.
It is not the critic who counts