Bulldog Target 44

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Bulldog Target 44

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Charter Arms has a bulldog 44Spl with a 4.2" barrel and adjustable sights. Anyone have one of these and how do you like it? They are calling my name lately. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Bulldog Target 44

Post by Blaine »

The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Nice looking revolver and also very effective.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Living handgun starved UK, I have a list of revolvers that I would like to own (perhaps after the revolution).
The Charter Arms Bulldog in .44spl is near the top of the list, so I too am interested to hear any comments.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I currently have a fixed-sight 2-1/2" barreled stainless .44 BD, and just love it.

It's had zero issues since the day I bought it new, about 8 years ago - but I wouldn't put much stock into the "Target" moniker.

They're not target guns, so my WAG is that the factory labels them as a "Target" model because of the slightly longer bbl, adj sight, and (maybe) a more hand-filling (target) grip.

Mine will keep all 5 shots (a cylinder-full) in a 4" pie plate @ 11yds - the furthest distance available that will present a shot, inside my home.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Wed May 11, 2016 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I've wanted a Bulldog ever since I read an article about them in a Gun digest from the 1960s or 70s. About as close as you can come today in size and stopping power to a Webley R.I.C.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have the shorter fixed barrel version, with Crimson Trace grips, and is a reliable, potent, non-deafening CCW piece. Same size as the Ruger Speed Six it replaced, lighter weight, one less shot, but WAY less deafening if shot without muffs.

I prefer the cylinder lock-up on them to what the S&W or Colt have.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed May 11, 2016 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Can't speak for the newer versions but back in the day....late seventies, eighties...i did buy two of them (one was a fixed sight version and the other had "target sights") as regular production 44 Spl's were non existent ....and......I soon learned they were junk....shooting loose after 4-500 rounds with mid range loads...but......these guns were not meant to be fired on a regular basis.

I have also learned through the years that for the most part, you get what you pay for and its a safe bet to say it's a much better investment to spend $1200 on a Colt SAA or $800 for an eighties 1950 Target S&W 44 Spl. than it is to spend $500 on a Charter Arms that was meant to used as the Son of Sam used it for...a few cylinders full.------6
Model A Uzi’s
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

I have a 4" target model from the mid 70's. I'm approaching 1,000 rounds thru it with no problems. Still tight & good to go. :shock:

Some of them back in the day were better than others, as there were several different manufactures along the way.
Merle from PA
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Get that new S&W L-frame .44. The 69 I think?

5 shot .44 magnum. Chop the barrel, load specials. You'd be fine.

Charter's quality has never particularly impressed me in the examples i've seen.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I had one and I have to agree with the not rugged camp. I shot mine maybe 400 rounds and carried it a lot. One day for no reason I could figure the ejector rod was bent. I don't know how it happened, it was just boom, there it was. Not a lot but when you spun the cylinder you could see the wobble.

I traded it off.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Anyone know if the current crop of Bulldogs is more durable? The cited experiences with earlier models are really cooling my jets on this.

I found this piece, but have no idea if the author is reputable or just a gun magazine writer earning a paycheck.

http://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/c ... 4-special/
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

most of these 'lower tier' makers have gone through ups and downs. Few years ago I handled a new Charter 2000 and had no trouble deciding instead on a used Rossi 720. Maybe the newer ones are different, but you couldn't have paid me to take a Charter from that period.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Idahoser, I e-mailed Charter about the durability issue, and their spokesman replied that those made in Shelton, Conn., after 1998 should last and last. These carry a lifetime warranty. That said, I want to handle one first.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

I have had a Charter 2000 for the last few years. It has been all that I have expected and carry it or a Kimber CDP as conditions indicate. It is not a Smith 24 and I don't expect it to be. It has been durable and if and when it wears to worry I will likely get another one.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I only know from reading internet comments, that Charter Arms have had several quality control problems in the past.
My take on this is that the basic design is fine but like all products, sloppy workmanship can not only ruin a good product but ruin the reputation of any company that does not keep a close eye on quality control.
Henry Repeating Arms took the AR7 for instance, which had a poor reputation, although some owners never had a problem and made it a reliable little rifle.
I hope Charter Arms have learnt from past experience and now give excellent value for money, like others have said if you want a S&W pay S&W prices.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Thanks for the link. :)
Merle from PA
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

MrMurphy wrote:Get that new S&W L-frame .44. The 69 I think?

5 shot .44 magnum. Chop the barrel, load specials. You'd be fine.

Charter's quality has never particularly impressed me in the examples i've seen.
696 is an L frame. To get a .44 in a K frame size revolver you have to go elsewhere.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Yes, thanks John. Wish the tables were still appended but M.L. gave me a lot of very valuable thoughts there. I am looking at the Lee 200-grain mold very closely.
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Bought a 2 incher, used at the lgs with the Crimson Trace stocks. Shot well, until I broke the firing pin, spent A LOT of time dry firing, and the little part that strikes the primer broke off. This was a modern day Bulldog Pug.

Sent it in for the pin, and asked for a 4 inch bbl to be installed, and if possible, tighten up the action, as it had a lot of rotational play. I was willing to pay for the extra work of bbl and tightening.

Could not do the new 4" bbl, because the clocking of the threads was changed a few years ago, but Nick himself fitted a new cylinder to tighten the play, and put in a new firing pin. And charged me not a CENT!

I'm happy with the whole deal, but I'm ashamed to say that I've not gotten out to the range to do a full check out of the gun. It works, but I need to work with this gun. Even with WW Cowboy factory loads, you KNOW it when she goes off. This ain't your daddy's N frame boat anchor going off in your hand.

I'll be happy to hear of any lighter accuracy loads anyone wishes to share. I did do fairly well with the WW loads at the 40yd plate rack before the pin broke, even with sloppy cylinder.

I call her my "Tonga Ricky" named after the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes the "Sign of Four" when Holmes gave Tonga a third eye with his Adams revo. And also after reading "the Snubby Revo" several times where Ed Lovette tells the history of the Webley "Royal Irish Constabulary" Bulldog Revo's. Ed also talks about the Fritz specials too.

This is the snubby for the Cooper guys that have to have a gun that starts with a "4", and at the same time, are forced by circumstance to have to carry a rollover on them.
- Brian
Last edited by BrianSH on Mon May 16, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Brian, great post, from a fellow Holmes enthusiast. I just ordered Lovette's book.
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Brian, great post, from a fellow Holmes enthusiast. I just ordered Lovette's book.
Not to get over confident, but with Ed's teaching, I started to understand why some of the "old guys" felt the snubby was good enough. And for today's close range interpersonal conflict management, snubbies are FAST.

I once heard that Chairman Jeff himself carried a magnum J frame when in a suit, but I cannot remember the source.

Claude Werner has his GREAT snubby training dvd's on sale at "theTacticalProfessor.com. Claude was one of Bill Rodgers instructors. I need to get out there 'cuz Bill ain't gittin' any younger.
Ed Lovette's book gets read about once a year ever since the light bulb went on about the true capabilities of the snubby. It's not for uniform duty, or riots, but its always there ready, for day in and out carry. In a car, nothing better.

Does good service as a Leon's Mother gun ( see the opening of Blade Runner - "Let me tell you about my mother - BOOM) - Brian
Gregor
Levergunner

Post by Gregor »

I have always been intrigued by the .44 Special bulldog revolvers by Charter Arms. I found one used with crimson trace laser grips and the bobbed hammer for $280.00 with the original box and paper work. It appeared to have been fired little.

I fired my .44 Special loads I had on hand for my Ruger Bisley. 5 grs. Bullseye with a commercial 240gr. LSWC and some "Skeeter Skelton" loads- 7.5gr. Unique.

The bulldog shot point of aim and was surprisingly accurate, shooting one hole groups up the 15yds. Recoil is stout, but not uncontrollable. I put about 250rds. through it in one day with no issues.

I have been pleased with the performance and light weight of the bulldog and would recommend it.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Help a pard who is going nuts here. The first time I encontered the Bulldog in print was wither in a Gun Digiest or a Guns Illustrated, probably dating to the 1970s or 80s. Might also have been a Stoeger Shooter's Bible.The article was by an author named McCready, McReady, something like that. I remember one photo caption that said the Bulldog, with shot shells, "spells quietus on snakes." I also remember that the author carried his Bulldog in "rearranged Bucheimer leather." Does anyone else recall this article? Have it? I would love to read it again.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Thanks all. Just want one to keep with me on bike to have loaded with shotloads and wadcutters for close up use. Already habe 357's and 45's just want something different and lightweight.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Idahoser, I e-mailed Charter about the durability issue, and their spokesman replied that those made in Shelton, Conn., after 1998 should last and last. These carry a lifetime warranty. That said, I want to handle one first.
A good friend, a retired Warrant Officer with many years armed security service will own nothing but Taurus. They have a lifetime warranty. It's a good thing, because he has sent quite a few of them back in for repairs. (Disclaimer: I just had to send in a Ruger 50th Anniversary BH after only a few dozen shots....)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

BlaineG wrote:A good friend, a retired Warrant Officer with many years armed security service will own nothing but Taurus. They have a lifetime warranty....)
yes but if I'm not mistaken, it has to be a gun from within the years when the current company was the owner. There are older ones they do not support. I may be getting myself confused with Rossi there, I know that's the case with them. The Rossi 720s I have are outside that limit, so no support from anybody. That's why I bought a second one, I'm my own support.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Blaine, I'm not much of a Taurus fan. Their warranty support is very good, but after working part time at the gun counter at Sportsman's Warehouse for two years, Taurus was by the far the most prone to breakage and in need of said service, especially their revolvers.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Agreed, after working at one of the 2 largest gunshops in San Antonio.
reflex264
Levergunner 1.0

Post by reflex264 »

I have have good luck with old and new ones.
here is my 5" converted to old syle grips with its Barranti shuck

I hunt with these little jewels.
reflex264
Levergunner 1.0

Post by reflex264 »

I should add I use taurus guns too.
Last edited by reflex264 on Mon May 23, 2016 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That's very cool!

8)
reflex264
Levergunner 1.0

Post by reflex264 »

The original target bulldogs had beautiful fit and finish. I have two 70's target bulldogs that are works of art. I have had to change cranes in a few of them. The newer ones aren't finished as nice but I would say are a little tougher.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Crane in the Bulldog I just bought is "scratchy," but would hang up before I applied some Break Free. I think it will smooth up.
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

reflex264 wrote:I have have good luck with old and new ones.
What load are you using for making these free-range, organic pork chops? - Brian
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Idahoser wrote:That's why I bought a second one, I'm my own support.
Sometimes the best way to get "spare parts" is to buy a 'complete set'....in the form of a duplicate firearm.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

AJMD429 wrote:
Sometimes the best way to get "spare parts" is to buy a 'complete set'....in the form of a duplicate firearm.

Not really true, as it is often the same weak part that fails, leaving you with two broken guns. :roll:
Merle from PA
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

reflex264 wrote:
here is my 5" converted to old syle grips with its Barranti shuck

For those interested, both the older & newer Charter Arms grips are interchangeable, as all the revolvers were made with the same grip frame - even though CA has had a few different owners over the years.

reflex264
Levergunner 1.0

Post by reflex264 »

BrianSH wrote:
reflex264 wrote:I have have good luck with old and new ones.
What load are you using for making these free-range, organic pork chops? - Brian
6.8grs U-Clays under a 240gr magnus SWC.
reflex264
Levergunner 1.0

Post by reflex264 »

The early Charter guns would wear out one side of the crane with lots of shooting. It is a simple fix to change the crane. Never had problems with the rest of it. I have done trigger jobs on the CA guns and the trigger can be drastically improved. The biggest problem is the hammer dragging on the frame where they don't clean up the machine marks. I have pics showing the progressive steps of a action job. I will post in a moment.
reflex264
Levergunner 1.0

Post by reflex264 »

Here is a new model 4" target bulldog before changes.
the tools needed
the disassembled gun
the engagement of the trigger and hammer
measure the overall distance with the trigger and hammer engaged before removing metal
the atrocious front sight that disappears with light from behind
John Taffin's personal guns. He sent the pics so I could reference what I was doing .
Always protect the gun when cutting metal from it
The completed gun with original TB grips. Notice the new shape of the front sight.

Mike Barranti and I horse traded a set of the original grips and some boot for the leather for my 5". They are a great improvement over the rubber grips.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Reflex264, great post and photos, thanks for sharing.... 8)
reflex264
Levergunner 1.0

Post by reflex264 »

Here are two of my old charters with a new TB and a glock 21
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Merle wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:
Not really true, as it is often the same weak part that fails, leaving you with two broken guns. :roll:
You are right.... :( ....I should have said 'sometimes one way'....it is what I've had to do with some companies like Marlin, where parts aren't available, or back when Ruger was snotty about selling parts to non-gunsmiths.....plus even though you only get one spare of each part, at least you can shoot with your spare-parts-kit until you have to use one of the parts...!