more ammo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
harry
Senior Levergunner

more ammo

Post by harry »

Well you guys have seen and heard about the billions of rounds the .gov is buying, well they just need more ammo because of this:
"if the Pentagon gave some of its usable bullets and explosives to other federal agencies, the 298-page GAO report said, it would save the cost of blowing it up and help other agencies meet their needs on the cheap. While the Defense Department has successfully transferred some of this ammunition to other agencies, Pentagon officials told the GAO that at least 3,533 tons of serviceable ammo sits in the army’s stockpile of excess ammunition at plants like the one in McAlester, waiting for disposal."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/auditors-cri ... html?nhp=1
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: more ammo

Post by Blaine »

I wonder what they consider the shelf life of small arms ammo? I wouldn't be surprised, the way Gubment budgets operate, that if they don't get rid of it somehow or other, then they won't get a decent budget for the next spending cycle.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
1894c

Post by 1894c »

remember the Air Force dropped a huge amount of WWII vintage bombs in Dessert Storm, keep is dry and it'll probably go bang... :)
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

1894c wrote:remember the Air Force dropped a huge amount of WWII vintage bombs in Dessert Storm, keep is dry and it'll probably go bang... :)
And, those 16 inch rounds from the WWII-era Battleships....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:
1894c wrote:remember the Air Force dropped a huge amount of WWII vintage bombs in Dessert Storm, keep is dry and it'll probably go bang... :)
And, those 16 inch rounds from the WWII-era Battleships....
There were a few of those expended in VN by the USS New Jersey!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote: And, those 16 inch rounds from the WWII-era Battleships....
There were a few of those expended in VN by the USS New Jersey![/quote]

When I was a kid and my older brother came back from nam, he was telling the family about one time in nam, he was hearing these huge bombs going off. He inquired to another guy who said "didn't you hear? That's the New Jersey shelling Charlie.........from 20 miles away".

I could just imagine what it would sound like a quarter mile away.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"...Pentagon officials told the GAO that at least 3,533 tons of serviceable ammo sits in the army’s stockpile of excess ammunition at plants like the one in McAlester, waiting for disposal..."
Back when we were a decent nation, that would have gone to high schools and 4H clubs for kids to practice with, so they could grow up and be responsible citizens instead of tube-watching couch-potatoes...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:
"...Pentagon officials told the GAO that at least 3,533 tons of serviceable ammo sits in the army’s stockpile of excess ammunition at plants like the one in McAlester, waiting for disposal..."
Back when we were a decent nation, that would have gone to high schools and 4H clubs for kids to practice with, so they could grow up and be responsible citizens instead of tube-watching couch-potatoes...
It would be fun watching the little darlings shooting 50 bmg in a Barrett.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

During the heaviest fighting in Iraq, they withdrew WW2-manufactured .50 BMG from the war reserve stocks, because they were shooting up .50 (the most common turret gun for every vehicle) so fast. From what I remember reading,the 1945-made .50 BMG was still in excellent shape, with about 1 dud per belt (249 of 250 is pretty good).

In 2006 I was still carrying 7.62mm belts with 1968 headstamps. So I was on duty in my war carrying ammo made for my dad's war (he was over in 1968-69), as well as his other war (I had M249 belts in the original green drums, with 1991 headstamps... not many, but we still had a few around which were odd to see as the other drums are black).
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It fits with the current situation... :|

Only now instead of 'destroying' surplus, they have been purchasing and stockpiling new ammo for all the 'agencies'...plus recruiting a parallel military of sorts.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2022/0 ... dly-force/

Makes you wonder what kind of harm they are up to now, given the recent "show me the man, and I'll find you a crime" Stalinist attitude... :?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

MrMurphy wrote: Tue May 03, 2016 11:17 pm During the heaviest fighting in Iraq, they withdrew WW2-manufactured .50 BMG from the war reserve stocks, because they were shooting up .50 (the most common turret gun for every vehicle) so fast. From what I remember reading,the 1945-made .50 BMG was still in excellent shape, with about 1 dud per belt (249 of 250 is pretty good).

In 2006 I was still carrying 7.62mm belts with 1968 headstamps. So I was on duty in my war carrying ammo made for my dad's war (he was over in 1968-69), as well as his other war (I had M249 belts in the original green drums, with 1991 headstamps... not many, but we still had a few around which were odd to see as the other drums are black).
Those green drums for the SAW were noisy. Are the newer black ones a quieter material ir an improved design?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

My dad said that during the WWII when he was on an island and they were shooting the 16" guns over him to the target you could see like a shadow in the sky wizz overhead. To fast to see clearly but blurry ! He also said that if you could see a shell coming at you in a sea battle, that meant it was at least an 8" shell.
Just thought I would throw that out there !
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

At the end of that video was a link to a holster video...making a Carjacker Crossdraw holster by Andrewsleather.com. :shock: Looked so good had to order up one for myself! 8)

Sorry to jack the thread. :oops: