Leverguns Galore!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Leverguns Galore!

Post by TedH »

If you're in the area, you might want to check out the St. Louis Cabela's. We stopped in yesterday looking for powder and found lots of old leverguns. More than I've ever seen there. Pre-64 94s, Savage 99s, 1873s, 1892s, 1886s, lots of Winchester Commemorative models. All grossly overpriced, in my opinion, but if they would work with you on prices, there were some real jewels there. I had the wife with me, so I only left with my powder and a box of bullets. :roll:
NRA Life Member
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Leverguns Galore!

Post by Nath »

:lol:
Great levelers ain't they :wink:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Very true, Nath. :lol:
NRA Life Member
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

TedH wrote:
If you're in the area, you might want to check out the St. Louis Cabela's.

All grossly overpriced, in my opinion

BUT................. every once in a while................... even a blind squirrel (like me :mrgreen: ) will find an acorn.

Pure luck, but I last week chanced upon a pretty nice (although not perfect/pristine) 1914 Savage 1899H Featherweight in .303 for what I considered a very decent price (under $400).

The buttstock looked a little raggedy, what with sticker glue residue & some paint splatter - but IMO it cleaned up pretty good.

(I installed a small reflex sight/red dot, until I can scrounge up enough $$ for a proper tang sight)

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

They had a 99 in 30-30, not nearly as nice as your rifle that they wanted $999 for.

You made a heck of a deal there. :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I continue to be astonished by, but grateful for :mrgreen: , the various firearm sellers that continually price a firearm below value, just because it didn't look nice, and don't attain a much better return on their investment by a simple/quick investment in cleaning up a dingy example.

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

TedH wrote:I had the wife with me, so I only left with my powder and a box of bullets. :roll:
That makes it quite difficult to sneak a new one into the house, doesn't it? :wink: :lol:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Cabelas is either too high priced, or too low. Seems they rarely get it right on pricing. Was in my local Cabelas last year and found 4 old Marlins that were priced crazy low! A gorgeous Marlin Ballard #4 for $1100, 1895 Marlin in .45-70 for $770, 1889 Marlin in .44-40 for $440, and a 1891 Marlin early side loader for $525. They had more, but I ran out of money and don't use my credit cards to buy guns. I kept the Ballard, and doubled my money on the other 3 within a couple weeks.
But I'll never ever buy another gun from Cabelas! All 4 of these guns were antique, and it took 20 minutes of showing them to finally prove they were, and get them to accept that. Then they took them to firearms check out, and I went through the same thing again with 5 different people! Then had the same 5 people have to look over the whole transaction before they finally took my cash and I could leave! Total time to complete a non FFL transaction was almost 2.5 hours! I wont go through that ever again!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

marlinman93 wrote: Total time to complete a non FFL transaction was almost 2.5 hours! I wont go through that ever again!
I have bought exactly 1 gun from Cabela's. I spent 2 hours waiting at the check out to complete my purchase as well. Very unorganized, and inefficient. It was rather busy, but still......
NRA Life Member
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Pete 44------Highway robbery on the H.....good snag

Marlinman....same experience I have had with them at Hamburg, Pa......last week I was there and they had a heavily polished reblued 86 in 40-82. for 3700. A decent 1950's 99 savage for 1100....nothing special...just a reg. 99
A beat up model 61 for a grand.....I left----6
Model A Uzi’s
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Sixgun wrote:Pete 44------Highway robbery on the H.....good snag

Marlinman....same experience I have had with them at Hamburg, Pa......last week I was there and they had a heavily polished reblued 86 in 40-82. for 3700. A decent 1950's 99 savage for 1100....nothing special...just a reg. 99
A beat up model 61 for a grand.....I left----6

The problem is that as long as there are fools that will pay those prices they will continue to price them that way....... :|

I did get an ANIB Anschutz 1416 HB, with a 2 stage trigger, for just over $725 at our local Cabelas. I don't know how I won the lottery that day. :D
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

"All grossly overpriced, in my opinion, but if they would work with you on prices, there were some real jewels there."

There's the rub. I live near that store and have tried to buy from them repeatedly with no success. I'll keep trying though, maybe they'll eventually get it. Next time you're through there hit Extreme Pawn by old town St Peters, and the pawn store by the Chrysler dealer between Lake St. Louis and Wentzville. Both usually have a nice assortment and will deal.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

We almost stopped at that Pawn Shop by the Chrysler dealer, but were short on time. We get through there a couple times a month, try to stop in next time.
NRA Life Member