Winchester 1895 blow ups?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Winchester 1895 blow ups?

Post by Malamute »

I recall reading about some blow-ups with 1895 Winchesters in 30-06 cal way back in the 1920s or so. Someone posted an image of an announcement from Winchester addressing the question. They determined that most of not all had been fired with 8mm cartridges. I saved that image, but its safely stored in a messed up computer. Does anyone have that image with the Winchester announcement about the 1895's?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Winchester 1895 blow ups?

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
Firing an 8mm jacketed in most any 06 action would make a mess of things. Ya here about these conditions happening off and on. Sure a good reminder to look twice when dealing with more than one ammo type on a bench.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Yes, and in this case, the shells aren't headstamped as to caliber. The military stuff only has dates and manufacturer codes, which would be simple to misunderstand for average people that wouldn't know much difference. If all the military ammo you had seen was 30-06 and you came across some 8mm, its not easy to tell the difference.

This would be after WWI when surplus arms and ammo were coming in to the country.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

This is the stuff internet myths are made of!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Its not a myth, Ive seen the image of the piece put out by Winchester. Unless someone went to a lot of trouble to fabricate it, which there isn't really any purpose to be gained, then what I saw was legitimate. I'm asking if anyone has the a copy of the written piece Winchester put out.

I'll see if its in one of my semi-dead computers. I haven't transferred everything to the one I can at least see some things in. It may be there or not.

Using 8mm rounds was one reason attributed to some of the 1903 Springfield receivers failing (4 perhaps?), and I think it was mentioned in the Winchester release.

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Couldn't find the image of the article or ad in one of my old computers. In searching the net, I believe what I saw was from the American Rifleman magazine. I saw references to it, but not the actual piece.

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Malamute wrote:I recall reading about some blow-ups with 1895 Winchesters in 30-06 cal way back in the 1920s or so. Someone posted an image of an announcement from Winchester addressing the question. They determined that most of not all had been fired with 8mm cartridges. I saved that image, but its safely stored in a messed up computer. Does anyone have that image with the Winchester announcement about the 1895's?

Arghh! You are correct. People were firing 7,92x57 mauser ammunition in the 1895 Winchester on accident. Gave the 1895 an undeserved bad rep. I have the image saved somewhere but can't find it right now. Still looking.....
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Great! If you posted it before, I probably saved it from your post. I think its in the computer that the screen is dead on.

Hope you can find it, it was interesting.

william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

Take a look at post #32 in this thread. It may be the article you are looking for.
Photobucket is down for maintenance or I would have put it up here.

https://www.shootersforum.com/leverguns ... ength.html

Photobucket is back up
Phil Sharpe on the Model 95
Hatcher on the blown 1895s
Slim
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Wow! Thanks for that article and the Rifleman reprint. Sheds a possible whole new light on the low # Springfield blow-ups.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

william iorg wrote: It may be the article you are looking for.

Phil Sharpe on the Model 95
Yes, thank you! That was exactly what I remember and was looking for. I think I saved it before, but lost it in a computer that passed away.

william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

When you have an agenda you can start a rumor. Even in the pre-internet days!

Slim
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Is it fact or fiction that the 95 action eventually stretches ?
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

Sad to say, numerous High Pressure loads in an old rifle will give you headspace issues. You need to keep the era your rifle was made in mind.
This reply is a bit over the top.
Slim
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Ben_Rumson wrote:Is it fact or fiction that the 95 action eventually stretches ?
I think the '95 receiver is actually a bit too elastic, hence the change from the early flatside configuration on them, but bolt setback is the bigger problem. I had a 1912 vintage 1895 in 30'06 for a number of years.

I thought the '95 was cool from an early age and grabbed the '06 when it showed up at a good price. My first disappointment was when I detail stripped it, and found it mechanically...disappointing. One of the things I like about guns is the many engineering approaches to how they function, and the '95 just didn't impress me internally, I was expecting more or something. The other thing that put me off was with the bolt and breechblock removed you could squeeze the receiver walls towards each other with moderate hand pressure. My example was developing headspace issues and even though I only shot it with a handload running the 220 Hornady at about 42,000 cup it would lock up at times. I traded it off to a guy that just had to have it with full disclosure. He uses it exclusively with cast.

Another interesting '95 observation can be found in Roosevelt's African Game Trails. It's mentioned toward the end that son Kermit's 1895 30'06 was locking up frequently toward the end of the 11 month safari. I don't remember the round count, but he used the rifle daily, taking hundreds of animals during the trip.