Why I haven't bought a Marlin 336 ......

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Why I haven't bought a Marlin 336 ......

Post by J Miller »

OK, so now I've got to say this about that.

The reason I haven't bought a Marlin 336 is that every one I've handled had way too much wood in the wrist area and forearm, and the cheek area on the pistol grip stocks battered my cheek so badly after the third shot I was flinching. Something about their shape that does not fit me.

The straight grip stocks as found on the 1894s and the Cowboy models is great. I've had a number of 1894s in both .45 Colt and .357 mag and they fit me just fine.

So if Marlin or Marlington or Remlin or what ever you wanna call it would made a nice trim straight stock, thin forearm version, carbine or rifle ............. I'll look it over. But I won't touch their cheek bashing pistol grip versions even to check their quality. I'm just not interested.

I'm not anti-Marlin, I just know what hurts me when I shoot it.

So, that's my story and I'm stickin to it.

Joe

NOTE: Edited to better reflect what I wanted to say.
Last edited by J Miller on Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ragnor
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Why I won't buy a Marlin 336 ......

Post by Ragnor »

A fun project for you, would be to fit it to your liking with a rasp and refinish, custom for you. There was a long gone gun writer/hunter named Francis Sell who lived I think in the Pacific Northwest. He hunted with his custom fit to him Marlins and wrote about it from time to time in the Gun Digest.
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

otteray
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

otteray wrote:You can buy a straight stock!
http://www.precisiongunstocks.com/conte ... s/d49.html
Yeah, but you need a straight grip lower tang to use it!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

marlinman93 wrote:

Not really.............

I've converted a few, and when I did the 1st conversion, I found that ALL Marlin 336's use the same length tang screw - which means that the only difference between a Marlin 336 straight tang and their PG tang is the extra external thickness necessary to make up the PG curve.

Soooooo, I simply ground the external surface of the bottom metal's lower tang down to a straight grip config, B 4 finishing the re-shaping with files (etc).

After that, rasping/sanding the PG off the wood, then refinishing the stock & bluing the new lower tang surface resulted in a Texan clone.

mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

"Customizing" a gun to fit one is OK, but one should be able to use the gun before "customizing". Long ago I gave up buying stuff for it's "potential", or what I could make of it. If it don't work for me now, without modification or a fix, I ain't gonna buy it...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My first Marlin 1894 had the buttstock eaten by mice when I was in college (I'd taken the metal and greased it up then wrapped it, but kept the stock in the basement), so I had a local gunsmith fit a new one. He refinished the forend to match, and while doing that, slimmed it to just the diameter of the front end cap.

At first I was a bit bothered that he did it without even asking me, but then I got to liking it...

He also had to parkerize the metal, as it had rusted, despite my precautions.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Pete44ru wrote:
marlinman93 wrote:

Not really.............

I've converted a few, and when I did the 1st conversion, I found that ALL Marlin 336's use the same length tang screw - which means that the only difference between a Marlin 336 straight tang and their PG tang is the extra external thickness necessary to make up the PG curve.

Soooooo, I simply ground the external surface of the bottom metal's lower tang down to a straight grip config, B 4 finishing the re-shaping with files (etc).

After that, rasping/sanding the PG off the wood, then refinishing the stock & bluing the new lower tang surface resulted in a Texan clone.

So then would the opposite be true, you could fit a pistol grip stock to a straight grip tang, it would just be recessed? If thats true im kicking myself in the seat of my pants.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I recently sold a really nice, '81 336 in 30 wcf. After I got my bucket list '51 94 the 336 felt like a big club...
With the 336 I had to work a little to get a good sight picture. With the 94, I could close my eyes and when I opened them the sights would all be in their proper places. (Incidentally, my Marlin 1894, and Mountie are the same way and I have no reason to sell those two wonderful rifles).
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Different strokes.... I love the fuller feel of my Marlins: they fit me just perfect. You guys must be built funny.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Mine has the pistol grip, but the wood is not chunky, (a 71 year model) and without checkering.
I've seen some that looked like a 2x6...They ain't all the same.
No problems with mine, but I have a neck.... :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

earlmck wrote:Different strokes.... I love the fuller feel of my Marlins: they fit me just perfect. You guys must be built funny.
Hey! You talkin' to me? :lol:

The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

BlaineG wrote:
earlmck wrote:Different strokes.... I love the fuller feel of my Marlins: they fit me just perfect. You guys must be built funny.
Hey! You talkin' to me? :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Me too. The perfect levergun is the 336 with a 2/3 magazine and pistol grip. 8)

NRA Life Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I was a lot skinnier when I shot the cheek bashing Marlins. I've become like mikld, if it doesn't work for me now, I won't waste my time with it.

As for the sumo wrestler guy, I'm with Blaine, I sorta resemble that ... :(
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

J Miller wrote:OK, so now I've got to say this about that.

The reason I won't buy a Marlin 336 is that every one I've handled had way too much wood in the wrist area and forearm, and the cheek area on the pistol grip stocks battered my cheek so badly after the third shot I was flinching. Something about their shape that does not fit me.

The straight grip stocks as found on the 1894s and the Cowboy models is great. I've had a number of 1894s in both .45 Colt and .357 mag and they fit me just fine.

So if Marlin or Marlington or Remlin or what ever you wanna call it would made a nice trim straight stock, thin forearm version, carbine or rifle ............. I'll look it over. But I won't touch their cheek bashing pistol grip versions even to check their quality. I'm just not interested.

I'm not anti-Marlin, I just know what hurts me when I shoot it.

So, that's my story and I'm stickin to it.

Joe
I'll be sure to let them know. They'll be crushed! :lol:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If they could make a truly 'interchangeable' forend (a change in the forend cap mount anchoring system could really facilitate that), they could offer user-interchangeable forends, and this would become a non-issue.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AJMD429 wrote:If they could make a truly 'interchangeable' forend (a change in the forend cap mount anchoring system could really facilitate that), they could offer user-interchangeable forends, and this would become a non-issue.
With the CAD and EDM manufacturing systems I'll bet they could ... if they wanted to.

Joe
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

The only reason I can figure you want a Marlin for is so you can mount a scope :lol:
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ben_Rumson wrote:The only reason I can figure you want a Marlin for is so you can mount a scope :lol:
Yep. Love my 1978 mdl 375! But, the scope needs replacing... thinking of a 1-4 in lieu of the fixed 4 power. I guess, if I REALLY disliked the forend, a rasp could fix it!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Love the Marlin Levers -

Price, quality for the $ (I have the "older" thutty-thutty and 45-70)
Side loading AND ejection
Microgroove barrel
Tapped for scopes

As for changing the stock, couldn't you afford that with the money saved in the purchase price, versus other American brands?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

JohndeFresno wrote:Love the Marlin Levers -

Price, quality for the $ (I have the "older" thutty-thutty and 45-70)
Side loading AND ejection
Microgroove barrel
Tapped for scopes

As for changing the stock, couldn't you afford that with the money saved in the purchase price, versus other American brands?
Yes, probably could afford to do it if I was good at stock work. I'm not.
Don't want to have to modify a rifle just to shoot it. Had enough of that nonsense with the MR-7. Never again.

What other American brands?
Henry? Not a chance. Way to heavy and that tube magazine loading system is a joke. Not interested in the least.

Mossberg? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joe
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

"What other American brands?"

I was thinking of the Henry's (of which I'm not a fan, either)...
And the great old, but still expensive when sold "used," Winchesters and Savages.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote:What other American brands?
Henry? Not a chance. Way to heavy and that tube magazine loading system is a joke. Not interested in the least.

Mossberg? :lol: :lol: :lol:
OK...save your money and get a Big Horn Armory levergun... :wink:

http://www.bighornarmory.com/catalog/1/ ... -products/

It will cost what three Marlins, or Four Henry's or Five Rossi's would cost, but you won't find anything flimsy, shoddy, or poorly fit...

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Truly beautiful pieces.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If we all were the same, and fit the same guns, it would sure be boring.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Frank V
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Frank V »

J Miller

While I like the Marlins 94, 336, & 95, (same as the 336) not all rifles fit all people. If a gun doesn't fit you you won't shoot it well & if it batters you you will shoot it worse.
If you like leverguns maybe you could find someone who can fit it to you.

Have you considered or tried a Win. 86?
Good shooting.
U.S.A. RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Frank V wrote:J Miller

While I like the Marlins 94, 336, & 95, (same as the 336) not all rifles fit all people. If a gun doesn't fit you you won't shoot it well & if it batters you you will shoot it worse.

Good shooting.
Frank,

Sadly, and I'm serious, I've never had the opportunity to shoot an 1886 in any caliber. I held, and fell in love with, a full rifle version chambered for 50-110 years ago, but have never had the funds to get one on the very rare occasion one was was near enough for me to know about.

The Winchester straight grip (non crescent but plate) stocks fit me just fine so that's my choice so far. I'd love to shoot a Marlin 336 with the straight grip stock to see how it fits, but haven't had a chance to.
The Marlin 1894s fit fine so if the 336 stocks are similar they should too.

I doubt I'll have the funds to have a rifle custom fitted to me. Social Security just doesn't leave one any room to play.

Joe
Frank V
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Frank V »

J Miller wrote:
Frank V wrote:J Miller

Good shooting.
Frank,

Sadly, and I'm serious, I've never had the opportunity to shoot an 1886 in any caliber. I held, and fell in love with, a full rifle version chambered for 50-110 years ago, but have never had the funds to get one on the very rare occasion one was was near enough for me to know about.

The Winchester straight grip (non crescent but plate) stocks fit me just fine so that's my choice so far. I'd love to shoot a Marlin 336 with the straight grip stock to see how it fits, but haven't had a chance to.
The Marlin 1894s fit fine so if the 336 stocks are similar they should too.

I doubt I'll have the funds to have a rifle custom fitted to me. Social Security just doesn't leave one any room to play.

Joe
J have you looked into Boyds Gunstocks? They offer a lot of stocks & just might have what you would want and it might be cheaper than having someone customise one for you?
Good shooting
U.S.A. RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: Why I haven't bought a Marlin 336 ......

Post by Malamute »

I think the stocks are probably close in the comb area between the pistol grip and straight grip type on the Marlins. If the comb is too high, which it sounds like, just getting the rasp and sandpaper out may work. My dad has taken a rasp and sandpaper to some pretty fine shotguns to get them to fit him correctly. Like Browning Citoris, and other finer grade guns. When he was done, you couldn't tell hed done anything to them. He refinished them with Caseys True Oil.

I've rasped down a couple of the thicker Marlin fore ends. I liked them much better afterwards. That was in the days before they had checkering.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Why I haven't bought a Marlin 336 ......

Post by Booger Bill »

Ive had a few marlins. The 39A and a Mountie I shouldn't have let go of. The 39A just struck me as being a lot bigger and clunkier than it needed to be for a little 22. In 22`s I have always liked the Winchesters, always sleeker and lighter in the 61, 62 and 63`s and 9422 of which I had/have examples of all. I own a 94 I bought new back in 1956, a 64, 88, 95 carbine and a couple of 92 clones in 357 and .44 mag. They all feel good and don't have that clunky heavy look of marlins.
Somehow I have always equated Marlins to Winchesters like I have Rugers to Colts and Smiths. Both Marlin and Ruger seem to have that stronger but cheaper look compared to the OLDER Winchesters, Colts and S&W`s. Very functional and strong but not as sleek and cheaper wood, metal polish and finish. I DO own a few Rugers but no Marlins right now. But I also don't own any Winchesters newer than way before 1964. My newest ones are from the 1950`s.