Help me pick a 22 mag rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Help me pick a 22 mag rifle

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I need help picking a 22 mag rifle....
I have a Ruger single six hunter with a scope for hunting.......
and would like to have a rifle.....that is a tack driver...
any suggestions? All action types considered!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Help me pick a 22 mag rifle

Post by M. M. Wright »

Did Rossi make any of those little pumps in 22WMR? I have a couple of those n 22LR and they are really accurate and fun to carry.
I had a Marlin bolt gun in 22WMR that was exceptionally accurate, (dime size groups at 100 yards). But, bolt guns are ugly and nobody should have to hunt with an ugly rifle. 'Course accuracy and proven dependability cover up an lot of ugly.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My Ruger 77/22 is an older one with the 'skeletonized' plastic stock, and it IS a tack-driver. The 4" gong (at 100 yards) even lives in fear of it with just the NEGS 'Ruger' peep sight. I don't know if their 22 WMR ones are like that, but no reason I'd not expect similar quality.

They have 'em in walnut/blue and walnut/stainless, too...

My 22 WMR rifle is a levergun - Ruger 96/22Mag. Not a tack driver but fun to shoot and minute-of-rabbit at 50 yards. I had two, but bought a Green Mountain barrel and turned one into a 17 HMR levergun (all it takes ia about 5 minutes and an Allen wrench for the Rugers, and the magazines are of course the same). Now THAT one is way-accurate, but seems like anything shooting 17 HMR is.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

M. M. Wright wrote:Did Rossi make any of those little pumps in 22WMR? I have a couple of those n 22LR and they are really accurate and fun to carry.
I had a Marlin bolt gun in 22WMR that was exceptionally accurate, (dime size groups at 100 yards). But, bolt guns are ugly and nobody should have to hunt with an ugly rifle. 'Course accuracy and proven dependability cover up an lot of ugly.
I had a Marlin 25MN .22WMR that was extremely accurate, I have had two Winchester 9422M, one was accurate the other not so good.
The Uberti 66 SRC in .22WMR I had was very accurate but too heavy and the old style sights and my old eyes were not compatible in anything other than perfect light.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I just picked up a Uberti 66 sporting rifle in 22mag,I had the carbine version but didn t like the sights the sporting version though has buckhorn sights like my 73 Sporter.It is a heavy gun but I m not using it for serious just for fun.
If you can find one I d go with a HK 300 semi, very accurate buy a bit pricy
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Henry makes one in a pumpaction., bought one about three months ago and love it! They make one in leveraction also. I think remington still makes one also in pumpaction.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Before I got my 22 mag, I researched them on the computer for opinions just as you are doing. I got so many vote for the CZ 452 that I bought one, and was not disappointed. Having a range five minutes from my house, I gathered all the different brands of ammo I could find, and over a few weeks found that I had a rifle the shoot good with cheap ammo for once! The winchester super X jacketed HP would, on three different occasions group at .5 inches with a target that appeared the same width as the front sight at 100 yards ( before my eyes began to go south.). This is what I call tack driving accuracy :D . I will have to scope this CZ now, as I can't even focus on a bull at 50 now. This sighting in period occurred before the rate hike on the mag ammo as well, a lucky thing as I shot this gun a LOT when choosing the "keeper" ammo. I have Never been a big user of scopes, but that is going to have to change :roll: not excited about that but the reality is unavoidable. :| The cz 452 makes a mess of diamondback heads and armadillo heads.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

A HENRY Levergun or the Pump model.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

depends on the end game use if you want a tack driver ISSC makes a toggle action in 22 mag or 17 HMR http://legacysports.com/spa-straight-pull-action shot a friends with a syn stock , them Austrians make some good equipment. That said a henry 22 mag lever should go well with your SA pistol. danny
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Finding ammo will be hard. :(
My 9422M is minute of pop can, with a gritty trigger...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

octagon wrote:Before I got my 22 mag, I researched them on the computer for opinions just as you are doing. I got so many vote for the CZ 452 that I bought one, and was not disappointed. Having a range five minutes from my house, I gathered all the different brands of ammo I could find, and over a few weeks found that I had a rifle the shoot good with cheap ammo for once! The winchester super X jacketed HP would, on three different occasions group at .5 inches with a target that appeared the same width as the front sight at 100 yards ( before my eyes began to go south.). This is what I call tack driving accuracy :D . I will have to scope this CZ now, as I can't even focus on a bull at 50 now. This sighting in period occurred before the rate hike on the mag ammo as well, a lucky thing as I shot this gun a LOT when choosing the "keeper" ammo. I have Never been a big user of scopes, but that is going to have to change :roll: not excited about that but the reality is unavoidable. :| The cz 452 makes a mess of diamondback heads and armadillo heads.
Same results i had with mine, but I opened up the barrel channel in the stock so that it floated.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

The Winchester 9422M is the way to go. The only weakness I know of with that model is the magazine tube. It isn't anchored positively to the mag tube housing so it can be lost when you're carrying it. I don't know if Rossi made their pump guns in 22 Magnum, but Taurus made them in 22 Magnum and 17 HMR in both the rifle and carbine lengths.
Ragnor
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Ragnor »

SOG has a good price on new Henry's.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I heard the RAR 22 mag is an accurate Rifle.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

CZ 455 combo. I have one in 22 LR / 17 HMR and purchased a .22 Magnum barrel from CZ. It allows you the option of shooting all 3 calibers with one rifle.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Anybody have one of the ruger American rifles?
Missed a chance to buy a Czech 22 mag a few of you guys mentioned with a scope and ammo for 600.
I really like the 9422m.....like most of you....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I have one of the Ruger American Rimfires in 22 mag. It shoots better than I can hold..death on ground squirrels, boringly accurate. Since I ran on to a 1892 in 25-20 with a relined barrel and figured out an accurate cast bullet load the RAR has languished in the safe. I found a brick of CCI 22WRM Maxi Mag on a table at a recent gun show (10 boxes of fifty) and got it for $100. This is older stock, not even marked as to grain weight of the bullets, but it should shoot good enough for whatever needs shooting. A couple of my Savage 24s have a top barrel that is 22WMR. Has worked out well for small game hunting.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Another vote for a CZ452. I'm not a bolt guy, but the accuracy of these rifles is outstanding.
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

M. M. Wright wrote:Did Rossi make any of those little pumps in 22WMR? I have a couple of those n 22LR and they are really accurate and fun to carry.
yes they did. i have two blue ones and stainless one. all in 22 wmr.... they are excellent were available with a 16" and a longer barrel. very accurate, can find them on gunbroker fairly often.
cable
old06
Levergunner 1.0

Post by old06 »

As of now I have a Ruger 77-22 in 22 lr and 22 mag I have owned a Marlin bolt in 22 mag first let me say that my Ruger is scoped because the old eyes don’t have it any more it will put 5 CCI in a dime size hole at 100 and has taken many coyote out to almost 200 with great results. My hunting buddy has a Ruger American in 22 mag that will duplicate my target results at 100 and for less coin I have shot this many times and would buy one in a second and good friend has a Savage bolt in 22 mag that I have shot and I like it not quite as good as ours but maybe with other ammo it would match or beat the Ruger’s
Psalm 16:1 Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

IF you get a rifle and get hankerin' for a 1911 'companion' gun, Rock Island makes one...
Rock Island 22 WMR.jpg
http://armscor.com/firearms/xt-series/x ... -22-magnum
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

HK300? Probably my favorite 22WMR. Certainly with a few of the 15 round mags.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I also have a Ruger American. Couldn't be happier. Dead accurate with 4 different loads I've tried, even likes the Armscorp. LGS always has Mag in stock and within $.50 of Walmart price.

Post by MrMurphy »

The Marlin 25s shoot very well. Haven't had the opportunity to shoot the American but they have been getting good reviews.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Somehow, I keep feeling that an AR in .223/5.56 is just about the perfect .22Mag rifle. :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've got 2 mags. A Stevens favorite and a CZ Manlicher. I like 'em both.

The CZ with the scope is the most useful of the 2.

I've tried Henry's and I just can't warm up to them. I bought a pump thinking it was a copy of a Winchester M62. Nope it's their own design. I really want to like them and don't really want to bad mouth them cause I know a lot of people like them and what they stand for.

I'll have to stick with my CZ.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've owned/shot/hunted with multiple .22WRM rifles (and handguns) since the mid-60's, mostly (due to zero cash flow) selling one to buy another.

About the only ones I have no experience with are a few European bolt action rifles (CZ, H&K, etc).

Choosing between what's readily available boils down to what a buyer's expectancy is, for a particular use/uses for the rifle.

One of the better-looking rifles is (arguably) a 9422XTR, but the one's (of 5) I had over the years weren't what I would call tack-drivers - although ample for hunting.

For walk-up hunting, I would suggest one of the modern autoloaders (but exclude the Ruger 10/22M, due to an unworkable trigger pull) - The BRNO 611/611A are top-draw, reliable & fairly accurate self-shuckers - but a combination rifle/shotgun (.22WRM/.410 or 20ga) also makes into a nice woods-walker. (I had a few Savage 24's, & currently have a Chiappa Double Badge in .22WRM)

For sitting & calling predators, an accurate boltgun (mine is a Ruger 77/22RM) seems to work out well - the CZ's are said to be tack-drivers, but IDK (no personal experience).

The only easily-scopeable .22WRM pumpgun I found to be reliable and accurate was a Browning BPR-22 - a little hard-to-find, today.

Sorting through all of them, over the years ,has been an enjoyable experience.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J Buck
Levergunner

Post by J Buck »

I have a Marlin 25mn from around 1990 in 22 mag that is pretty accurate. Not a poor choice by any means if you can find one in decent shape. My other maggie is inherited from my brother who passed on his old H&K M300. This gun has killed everything found in the state of Florida including deer, hogs and gators. I won't expound on that matter, to my embarrassment, my brother played a little loose with the game laws. The .22 mag is quite capable of filling the larder when necessary. You probably won't find an H&K under $1,000, but it is a fine firearm. CZ makes a line of really nice .22 caliber rifles. I have a 452 that I dearly love. The auto that they make is really nice and I'm toying with that idea for myself.
"When you should shoot, shoot. Don't talk."- Tuco
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

:lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Either a CZ bolt or Henry Lever. My Henry lever is a great handy and accurate piece. Friend has a CZ in 22 mag with a 24" barrel. Handles really nice and is more accurate than you can hold. If funds are no problem, get a Magnum Research 22mag auto that weighs about 5lbs. Lots of good reviews on them too.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

MM Wright, rossi did make a 22 mag pump the M59 made in brazil, I believe they made it in a short bbl and long bbl the one I have is a 23" bbl I put a B Square scout scope mount on it and use it for predators its accurate enough to call it a 150 yd coyote gun I have stretched that on occasion. danny
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

This 1890 Winchester was already customized with a pistol grip stock with cheek piece when I bought it around the early 1970`s. It was in .22 WRF. As you know the wrf has the same diameter bullet as the .22 mag. I asked a gunsmith friend about lengthening the chamber to the more available .22 mag. I think he said sure, he had done it before and we did it. The stock was longer than standard and the rifle fits me better than any other I own.

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

IF I recall CZ also makes a semi auto in .22 mag.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

CZ & BRNO are parts/brands of the same company.

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Well guys...thanks for the info....
this weekend I intend to head to the local gun show and check out the CZ, Ruger American, Henry, and as of today my favorite....9422m..if I can find one...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
tsillik
Levergunner

Post by tsillik »

Booger Bill wrote:This 1890 Winchester was already customized with a pistol grip stock with cheek piece when I bought it around the early 1970`s. It was in .22 WRF. As you know the wrf has the same diameter bullet as the .22 mag. I asked a gunsmith friend about lengthening the chamber to the more available .22 mag. I think he said sure, he had done it before and we did it. The stock was longer than standard and the rifle fits me better than any other I own.

Very nice looking rifle.
Frank V
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Frank V »

I'll second or third or fourth the Ruger 77/22. Those I've seen are tack drivers. Not cheap, but real rifles!
U.S.A. RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Griff wrote:Somehow, I keep feeling that an AR in .223/5.56 is just about the perfect .22Mag rifle. :P :P
May be cheaper to shoot these days, too, if you reload...

Problem would be finding cast bullets...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Get a Henry lever.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:
Griff wrote:Somehow, I keep feeling that an AR in .223/5.56 is just about the perfect .22Mag rifle. :P :P
May be cheaper to shoot these days, too, if you reload...

Problem would be finding cast bullets...
Or

http://www.mossberg.com/product/mvp-pre ... fle-27711/

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

One more vote for the Winchester 9422M, I have one and it is remarkable. I also have a Henry large loop carbine in .22lr and a Henry in .22mag would be a good choice. My neighbor just got a CZ 512 semi-auto in .22mag. I looked at it but have not fired it. He has and seems happy with it. One thing that is unusual is it has an upper and lower receiver, the upper is aluminum and the lower is polymer. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Was at the local gun show yesterday....lots of levers...a couple of 73s, 71s, and 86s
a bunch of marlins and 94s....not one win 92 though.....couple of rossi's.....and only a couple of henrys,
One in 17 and one in 44.
One 9422m for $1000
One Ruger American 22m for 900.....with a Bushnell scope
There were a couple of older bolt guns in 22m that were to beat up for me...
I guess I will have to look for a while longer!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I've shot a couple of the Henry's. Buy one you won't be disappointed.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Frank V
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Frank V »

jeepnik wrote:I've shot a couple of the Henry's. Buy one you won't be disappointed.

I think so too!
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

RIHMFIRE wrote:I need help picking a 22 mag rifle....
I have a Ruger single six hunter with a scope for hunting.......
and would like to have a rifle.....that is a tack driver...
any suggestions? All action types considered!
Normally 22 mag and tackdriver don't go together :) That said, I'm happy enough with my CZ 455 22 mag. I've owned the Ruger American and had high hopes for it as a truck gun, but the accuracy wasn't up to the CZ. Same with the Savage and Marlins I've owned. I've had a CZ 452 and 455 in 22 WMR. Both were about as accurate in the real world as I could find in 22 mag. I'm not talking the "one hole at 100 yards all day long" we often read about on the net though!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Last night, 50yds.
CZ american.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Frank V
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Frank V »

Nice Nath.
The CZ is a very fine rifle.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Nath wrote:Last night, 50yds.
CZ american.

N.
I'm surprised there are any fox left over there. :lol: Ok...Dumb question...Are they any good to eat?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »