Definitly NOT Your Father's BP Revolver...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Definitly NOT Your Father's BP Revolver...

Post by Old No7 »

As reported on another site, these 2 revolvers were seen at the Friendship BP Shoots last year...
Modified Old Army 01.jpg
Modified Old Army 02.jpg
Both of those heavily modified guns have 9mm barrels with sleeved chambers and shoot .360" round balls (not the standard .457's). Lock up is very tight, with very light triggers. One owner calls his a "bastardized child" but said it's won him a match or two.

And for any BP revolver owners who found those outrageous, I sure hope this brace of real Old Army's will help make up for it... :) (This is one of my favorite prints.)
Brace of Old Army's (Medium).jpg
I think I'll be keeping my Old Army just as she is, thank you.

Tight groups -- whatever it is you're shooting! :wink:

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Definitly NOT Your Father's BP Revolver...

Post by Sixgun »

Ole #7,
I've been shooting competitively for more years than I can count. Never have been "great", but usually in the top 10%. EVERY discipline I have ever entered into, whether it's cowboy shooting, high power silhouette , or levergun silhouette, I have always played by the rules.......and............ALWAYS......there are guys who have a need to "have the edge" and legally circumvent the rules.

In cowboy shooting, guys started using 38 specials with 3 grains of Bullseye and $1,000 action jobs......those things did not exist in the 1880's............in levergun silhouette, the fiber optics, hooded front sights, 8 ounce triggers, and Olympic style receiver sights started ruling.....we don't see them in the woods.......... In high power silhouette, those guys are down right sneaky and I could write 3 paragraphs on them.

Looks like the BP shooters are doing it also.------6
Model A Uzi’s
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Sixgun wrote:Ole #7,
I've been shooting competitively for more years than I can count. Never have been "great", but usually in the top 10%. EVERY discipline I have ever entered into, whether it's cowboy shooting, high power silhouette , or levergun silhouette, I have always played by the rules.......and............ALWAYS......there are guys who have a need to "have the edge" and legally circumvent the rules.

In cowboy shooting, guys started using 38 specials with 3 grains of Bullseye and $1,000 action jobs......those things did not exist in the 1880's............in levergun silhouette, the fiber optics, hooded front sights, 8 ounce triggers, and Olympic style receiver sights started ruling.....we don't see them in the woods.......... In high power silhouette, those guys are down right sneaky and I could write 3 paragraphs on them.

The real joy comes from beating those guys with guns that conform to the original spirit of the game. I see them all the time and don't let it bother me, I just shoot my game and let the chips fall where they may, I have fun and don't sweat the small stuff. :lol:
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Beating the guys with the Ruger Old Army revolvers with my cheap Italian 1858 New Army replica was always fun too :lol:
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
rgates
Levergunner 1.0

Post by rgates »

Aren't the two modified BP revolvers 1858 Remington rather than Ruger 'Old Army'? Don't see the three screws in the frame that the Ruger should have. Cylinder pin sure looks Remington. Just say'n.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

The matches these guys shoot in are not for traditional revolvers. There are matches for these guns where they compete against the same. They are not stretching the rules. Shooting a traditional '58 Remington clone, even a tuned one, in those matches would be equivalent to entering a free pistol match with a 1911.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Sixgun wrote:Ole #7,

Some will win at any cost. Forget what is ethical. It's been going on for years. Just look up a sight called a "Friendship Cheater" if you want to see what they will do. I always liked the last rule on the sheet that says "the rangemaster's ruling is final."
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

rgates wrote:Aren't the two modified BP revolvers 1858 Remington rather than Ruger 'Old Army'? Don't see the three screws in the frame that the Ruger should have. Cylinder pin sure looks Remington. Just say'n.
I was thinking Remmie from the first glance myself, but then the last time I called something in a pic "off" everyone told me I was wrong, so what're ya gonna do?
Closer examination and I'm positive they're not Rugers. For one thing, both of them have a Remington style one-piece frame/gripframe instead of the separate gripframe Old Armies have.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
Hairtrigger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hairtrigger »

A class for everything. Keeps everyone shooting against like equipment. Fun for all
Did you drive to the match? That did not exist in the late 1800s lol
I have not been to Friendship in 15 years or more but I used to love going and shooting trap while there
I always enjoyed the flea market as well
I am one gun away from happy
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thank goodness you posted the picture of your Ruger OMA's! I sure as heck didn't want to go to bed seeing those two other ugly Frankenstein guns in my head!!! :shock:
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Well, if they are not Rugers, they do have Ruger grips, I can see the emblem. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
rgates
Levergunner 1.0

Post by rgates »

The picture of the two Ruger Old Armies sure do have Ruger emblems. The two 'customized' revolvers don't have emblems or Ruger grips. They are 1858 Remington designs.
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

rgates wrote:The picture of the two Ruger Old Armies sure do have Ruger emblems. The two 'customized' revolvers don't have emblems or Ruger grips. They are 1858 Remington designs.
This ^ There's no doubt at all that the brace of Old Armies in the one picture are exactly that. It's the highly modified pair in their own separate photos that were built on Remmie frames, despite the titles on their photos.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Since a Ruger Old Army ain't a copy of anything historic, it being modified has no effect on me. And modifying an 1858 Rem clone ain't exactly sacrilegious... Heck I put Ruger type coil handsprings & plungers in my Colt SAAs & 1851s... I hate broken handsprings! I put (er... had someone else), put "Manhatten" conversions in my 1851s! I hate caps inside the works, maybe more'n broken handsprings! :twisted: :P

Think, TOOL... The mods made them a BETTER tool, not a different tool!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!