History of gun leather in the old west?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

History of gun leather in the old west?

Post by Old Savage »

How far back do holsters go in the old west?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: History of gun leather in the old west?

Post by vancelw »

Back farther than when Ohio was the wild frontier??
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The book "Packing Iron"shows many from the early west. With the advent of the revolver as the time most consider as 'old west' the Civil war and the period of western migration that followed are the beginning of the western holster. Not talking about the Hollywood Buscadaro quick draw rigs as seen on TV Westerns of the 50's and later. Those were an invention of the film industry and Hollywood.
Prior to the six shooter, most single shot pistols were either carried tucked in a sash or carried in a boot attached to the saddle of a horse.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I think Chuck is right. I seem to remember some military holsters for percussion single-shot pistols, maybe even flintlocks, but I think most of these were really pommel holsters versus those worn on a person around their waist. Remember the 1847 Colt Walker, as well as the three models of the Colt Dragoon were all called "horse pistols", referring to the fact that they were intended to be carry on the horse and used from horseback. In 1849 Colt's most popular (by number of units sold) cap and ball revolver was introduced - the "pocket model" in .31 caliber. The name was not a misnomer; it was intended to be hidden in a vest pocket, or perhaps a trouser pocket. Then in 1851 Colt introduced what would become it's second-most popular model, the famous 1851 Colt Navy in .36 caliber. This was intended to be worn in a holster around one's waist, and was also called "Colt's holster pistol" among many other names. So the roots of the "old west" gun leather go back further, but it's first real iteration was with the 1851 Navy.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

How far back do we have photos of the use of holsters in the west? Examples?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Cavalry holsters, then cavalry holsters with the flaps cut off and simple holsters of a similar pattern can be seen in photos. People soon built holsters that carried pistols strong-side, butt to the rear, instead of Cavalry style, but a lot of the early holsters were cross-draw, as it followed naturally the practice of carrying pistols cross-draw tucked in the belt.

As today, trends followed military trends, but civilian holsters changed quickly from what was standard in the military because civilians were not using sabers.

Cavalry holsters were in use as soon as revolvers were, on the saddle and on the belt.
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

I'll second Chuck's recommendation of Packing Iron. It's got great pictures of many holsters (usually with the appropriate gun and could almost make it as a coffeetable book on that basis alone), but it also has a lot of old photos of people wearing/using the rigs back in the day.
I'm shocked at how much they want for a copy nowadays. :o

http://www.amazon.com/Packing-Iron-Leat ... ntier+west
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Thanks 7.62. I don't know who put that article together, (couldn't find author's name) but it is a nice condensation of the whole book "Packin' Iron".

For those of you who want to know more, go to the bottom of the article and get acquainted with the recommended reading listed there. I have them all and find them a valuable resource.

This holster, maker unknown, carries a 4 3/4 inch Colt Frontier Six Shooter in the most comfortable and secure position of any I have ever used. I have a recently copied version that I use a lot but would like one with some tooling on it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

The term "horse pistol" I believe comes from those single shot pistols carried in holsters on the rider's saddle. Pretty sure this was the setup for the Walker Colts as well when they came along. I've seen some personal holsters worn on the body paired up with early Walkers and Dragoons(Alamo museum?). I would imagine that at least one Ranger in Texas would have had a holster made for their Pattersons to wear on their person and a search would reveal some. Some old country boy probably made a similar setup going back to the Revolution and beyond for his single shot pistol, to wear on his body. A redneck with a set of tools cannot be stopped.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Sorry guys... Missed the earlier posts on horse pistols by YK and Chuck. More coffee.....
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ysabel Kid wrote:... the famous 1851 Colt Navy in .36 caliber. This was intended to be worn in a holster around one's waist, and was OFFICIALLY named "Colt's Belt Model" ...
There, fixed that for ya.
Last edited by Griff on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

IF YOU BELIEVE the Buscadero style rig was an invention of the movies/TV kindly go check out Commadore Perry Owens' rig as it is the real McCoy from waaaay back then.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

I would think as hard as it was to afford a gun back then you had to fashion your own rig.
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The way this comes up is through a presentation I watched given by a woman who wrote a book about Josephine Earp. At one point she says rather offhand that they didn't have holsters at the time of the OK Corral. I do not think that is true but don't have any photos to prove it. Thought someone here might know some reference on the issue. I am curious about what can be documented by dated photos or other means.

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Old Savage wrote:The way this comes up is through a presentation I watched given by a woman who wrote a book about Josephine Earp. At one point she says rather offhand that they didn't have holsters at the time of the OK Corral. I do not think that is true but don't have any photos to prove it. Thought someone here might know some reference on the issue. I am curious about what can be documented by dated photos or other means.
I'd have to cry foul on that. Maybe some participants who were at the OK shootout didn't have holsters they were certainly around.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Terry Murbach wrote:IF YOU BELIEVE the Buscadero style rig was an invention of the movies/TV kindly go check out Commadore Perry Owens' rig as it is the real McCoy from waaaay back then.

Terry, in the one photo I can find of him with holster, that does not appear to be what I think of as a Buscadero holster. Can you point me to the photo you refer to?
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

OS, I would be interested in the book you referenced in your post. Do you have a title to share?

Tombstone, AZ Territory on October 26, 1881, …the date of the misnamed OK Corral half minute gun battle... saw the town having among other up-to-date amenities, two newspapers, a telephone exchange, telegraph office, oysters and chilled champagne in the "finer establishments", and residents watch Wyatt and his crew walk past the local ice cream parlor on the way to meet their "Clanton/McLaury Cowboy" opponents. So 1881 Tombstone was not the completely primitive, sun baked frontier mining village portrayed in most treatments of the era and it's 30 seconds of fame. I would further suggest that some 16 years after the civil war's end and nearly a decade after Colt’s introduction of the popular 1873 revolver, it is highly unlikely that belt holsters would have been unknown to the rough and tumble collection of miners there, ...nor the other Tombstone citizens and those who provisioned them.

On another note, Sarah Josephine Marcus Earp was very circumspect, evasive and often untruthful about her personal background, relationship with Sheriff Johnny Behan and “marriage” to Wyatt Earp. She was, however, known to be completely faithful to Wyatt’s legacy and very forceful in making sure he was portrayed as an icon of manly virtue. We all have our faults and surely Wyatt Earp was no different. Until her death on December 19, 1944, some 15 years after Wyatt passed, she still championed him as a perfect individual and was desperate that his memory and celebrity be untarnished.
Secondly, that widely distributed "semi-nude photo of Josephine Earp" has been debunked by all current noted historians and biographers as not truly being her image.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Terry , I am sure you are right about the appearance of the Buscadero rig coming before TV westerns but they were not in common use back in the old west. The everyday cowboy wanted his six shooter to be well protected (it cost a months wages) and out of the way when on horseback,the cross draw being very popular. Many a cowpoke fashioned his own gun leather sitting in front of the fire on those long cold winter days. Many a variation has been made for sure.
Some people would say there were no cell phones back in the 60`s but just look at an episode of
Star Treck. :? :? :?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Lady at the OK Corral is the title.

harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Oh heck they say its true
http://www.bisonbill.com/Bison11.html
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Commodore Perry Owens rig wasnt a buscadero rig per se. His had the unusual aspect of the holster hanging off the bottom of the extra wide belt, the belt being made to have a full row of what looks like 45-70 cartridges for his Springfield rifle, with a full row of pistol cartridges below it. The belt alone was unusual in its width and double row of cartridges. The holster attachment likely neccesitated by the extra wide belt.

The lady that said holsters werent used in the 1880's was possibly mistaken in hearing that more modern fast draw or buscadero type holsters werent used at that time and somehoe that translated to her to mean no holsters were (or her source made that mistake), but belt holsters were in widespread use from the late 40's on. It was reported that many cavalry troops carried their Dragoon pistols on their belts instead of on their saddles, enabling them to keep their weapons always close at hand whether mounted or not.

Another interesting aspect, when cartridge guns began to be used, it seems that individual soldiers as well as saddlers/leather workers began sewing cartridge loops on the army waist belts. I dont recall the details from the book, but Spencer cartridges were likely the earliest, but the converted Sharps carbines to 50-70 were pretty close behind. The book Packing Iron has some detailed pictures and writings on the matter.

The link to Cochise leather holsters shows some style changes over time, but use their own versions. Many modern versions seem to have more leather at the seam side than many older ones, unless the individual old holster didnt have the correct gun in it. I like the rather lean tight seam look of the older holsters.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Griff wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:... the famous 1851 Colt Navy in .36 caliber. This was intended to be worn in a holster around one's waist, and was OFFICIALLY named "Colt's Belt Model" ...
There, fixed that for ya.
Thanks Griff. Mental block. Getting old is hell! :lol:
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Pretty sure that these are originals.

http://jamesdjulia.com/item/lot-1647-2- ... ers-33378/
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Wasn't one of the early Pattersons also considered "the belt model" as well?
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I haven't read everything here but I am sure that holsters have to be as old as the very first handguns. Sure styles evolved and still are. I would bet they had them with the first matchlocks. Remember, way back there must have been saddle-makers way before Christ. The leather workers had to go way back to shortly after Adam!
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

vancelw wrote:Back farther than when Ohio was the wild frontier??
Naw, I don't think so. Ohio became a state in 1803. Before pistols and holsters I think.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Gobblerforge wrote:
vancelw wrote:Back farther than when Ohio was the wild frontier??
Naw, I don't think so. Ohio became a state in 1803. Before pistols and holsters I think.
Gobbler
Pretty sure pistols existed then. Not as we see them today, but they were there (since 16th century?). And I'm sure there was some kind of device someone made to hold their pistol, other than just sticking it in their belt. With no Instagram and Twitter back then, we have no billions of examples per second to look at. Granted, I think Lewis & Clark carried their matched set in a case, but not having read their entire set of journals, I don't know if anyone in the party ever fashioned a holster to carry one of them, other than on a horse.

What I missed in the OP was "Old West". I'm sure pinning down the definition of that would incur a myriad of various opinions.

Only was to prove it either way would be to use a time machine to go see, but when I get mine built....I'm not coming back. (Unless I can figure out how to carry supplies on it :D )
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Yes, the subject of the OP was "holsters of the old west".
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Yes, the subject of the OP was "holsters of the old west".
Man, there goes that reading comprehension thing again! :lol:
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”