Thoughts on the model 64

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Thoughts on the model 64

Post by rjohns94 »

I have found a beauty of a model 64. Light wood, bluing 99% +, no scratches. $899. Circa 1940. Real beauty. Felt good. Was wondering what say the forum here of this version of the 94? Any fans or critics out there?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Thoughts on the model 64

Post by Griff »

Big fan! Can't afford one of the originals, so I got a NIB mdl 64A from Victor. Mine's a .30-30, from 1972, the Rarest of the mdl 94 variants. Super handling, even with the 26" barrel. Round, with ¾ mag. It ain't called the "Deer Hunter's Rifle" for no reason! What chambering?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Best version of a 94 ever made. Buy it!
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

The 64 is an elegant rifle. I have a 32 Special that I picked up a few years ago. It has a 3 1/2 pound trigger that makes it a mighty fine shooter. One day, when the the light was ideal for my poor eyes, I shot a 3/8 inch group at 50 yards with the open sights. I have only seen 3 around here, and I bought one of them. Mine was well used and I paid ~$550. One was a standard model that sold for ~$800, and a deluxe model sold for $1250. Sounds like the one you are looking at is reasonably priced. (For here anyway.)

From my experience, you won't regret getting it, especially if its in the condition you describe. I'd trade my 1951 model 94 for a 64 any day of the week. JMHO.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I think they're the best looking of them all and they fit me.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Mine was made in 1953, I have read by some that they are too heavy for a 30-30. for Me the stock design is the best I have seen in a Levergun making it easy to shoot offhand. Winchester got it right with the 64.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

Winchester's Model 64? Such a gorgeous, elegant and well-laid out hunting rifle!

A .30-30 64A was both my first centerfire and first deer rifle. I was too young to appreciate it and went on a long trek through bolt actions and other stuff before finally realizing what a gem I already had.

Picked up a 64 Deer Rifle (AKA Deluxe) in .32 Special last year that someone had stuck one of the Redfield M294 scout-type scopes on back in the day. I know some will say it's an eyesore, or an act of sacrilegious vandalism akin to drawing a mustache and goatee on the Mona Lisa. With my poor eyesight, I really cherish this sighting arrangement and my wallet liked what the scope did to the price.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I have three 64's and think they are a fine looking and shooting rifle.

In that configuration, the 30-30 will shatter many peoples idea of that cartridges accuracy potential.

I have a pre war 30-30, a pre war 30-30 20" short rifle, and a post war 32W.S.

I prefer the pre war versions, and truthfully I'm not big on pistol grip leverguns so the one on the left sees the most use. Its an 1899mfd 94 rifle that was returned to the factory and had a complete 64 front end installed in 32W.S.
They also installed a 56 Lyman receiver sight.

Its an inctedible shooter and fits and balances pefectly.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Good fair price for a "standard" pre-war 64....highway robbery if its a deluxe. Extreme highway robbery if its a 20" carbine in either variation......

No wonder its somewhat hard to find a 64........Old Winchester has them all.----nice pieces Jay. :D ----------6
Model A Uzi’s
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Griff wrote:Big fan! Can't afford one of the originals, so I got a NIB mdl 64A from Victor. Mine's a .30-30, from 1972, the Rarest of the mdl 94 variants. Super handling, even with the 26" barrel. Round, with ¾ mag. It ain't called the "Deer Hunter's Rifle" for no reason! What chambering?

32 Win. Went back today and looked it over. I had the two rifles calibers mixed up. This on is 32win
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

"Mikey likes it ! " . ;)

That config was my favorite - I had an 1871-1971 NRA Rifle, aka Model 64A - until I obtained a lighter .30-30 Trapper, being no longer comfortable with the longer length barrel rifles.

The price seems OK, Mike, in today's market (where will you find another for that money ? ), but - as always - if you made a reasonable slightly lower offer, you might even end up with a bargain.

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

The old family deer rifle is a Model 64 in 25-35 caliber, made in 1937. It was purchased by my grandmother so the boys would have a deer rifle. At one time or another it took every kind of game animal in Arizona. At some point in time the butt stock was broken and replaced with an ugly piece of board held in place with a lag screw. Even so, it's a very accurate rifle and my brother took his first white tail with it a few years ago. He has also cornered the market on 25-35 brass and Hornady 117 gr RN bullets in his part of the country. They are a fine rifle indeed. That long barrel just "looks right" with the short cartridge tube under it. In 30 WCF it should be an even better white tail rifle than the 25-35. With good handloads (or even factory fodder) it should prove to be a great shooter. Let us know how you like it - and don't forget to post pics! :-) :-D
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

rjohns94 wrote:
Griff wrote:What chambering?
30WCF
Sixgun wrote:Good fair price for a "standard" pre-war 64....highway robbery if its a deluxe. Extreme highway robbery if its a 20" carbine in either variation......
What Sixgun means is, that YOU'RE THE ROBBER! :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Griff wrote:
rjohns94 wrote:
Griff wrote:What chambering?
30WCF
Sixgun wrote:Good fair price for a "standard" pre-war 64....highway robbery if its a deluxe. Extreme highway robbery if its a 20" carbine in either variation......
What Sixgun means is, that YOU'RE THE ROBBER! :P :lol:

Yeah Griff. Ole Six has a way with words. :D

Sometimes I'm taken aback at how much this stuff has gone up. :shock:

No wonder its somewhat hard to find a 64........Old Winchester has them all.----nice pieces Jay. :D ----------6
CARBINE?..........CARBINE?............I thought we discussed this? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't know about that Jack, I'm still pretty humbled by your Colt pics from the other day. :shock:
Thanks bud!

I will say that the 64's are probably the best balanced "rifle" I've carried. It's usually pretty thick woods here and carbines rule the day but with the 64 it doesn't feel like you're carrying a rifle. Very graceful.

Function follows form in this case.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I had the caliber wrong, it's 32 Win. I went back to look at it in better light. I saw some wear spots One scratch on recvr. One small dent on stock. Butt plate looks like it has a trace of case color on it. Bore is perfect. Even has front sight hood.

Now I'm disappointed it is in 32 as I was pumped for a 30wcf. Dropped price to $850.

Hmmm
Mike Johnson,

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I wouldn't let the 32 stop you. I actually really like the 32WS. All of mine are vey accurate.

For that price I would grab it. Especially seein' as its pre-war.

If you find a 30-30 later on you can always sell this one or trade it.......but I bet you won't. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Mike,
Does it have checkering? Length of barrel?

It's 75 years old....I expect a few bumps here and there. Buttplate is blued.
Model A Uzi’s
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Cast bullet rifle. It could be a whole lot of fun. :)
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Sixgun wrote:Mike,
Does it have checkering? Length of barrel?

It's 75 years old....I expect a few bumps here and there. Buttplate is blued.
No checkering, rifle length barrel. I agree about the butt plate but it looked like fading cc on the edges, may have just been verdigris
Mike Johnson,

Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I have one in 32spl. Probably the best fitting rifle they made.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Here is my mid 1950`s model 64. 30-30.

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

After your description I would buy it if I could afford it. That is a dandy model and the value should go only up.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I passed on one years ago for $400 in 90% condition. I didn't know what it was at the time. The fella three tables down from me was doing the happy dance about five minutes later.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

My Grandad (1889 - 1973) hunted with several rifles but his favorite was the 64 in 30-30. He toppled many animals with this beauty including big western mulies.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

My Grandfather was a warden in the Allagash in the 30's & 40's and carried a 64 in 30-30.

This always puzzled me as it's a fairly long rifle and he was always carrying a lot of stuff, much of the year on snowshoes, and covered huge amounts of area in heavy woods. Also spent a lot of time in canoes as the waterways were the "easiest" travel. My mothers uncle was there too and carried a 92 carbine in 44. Most every other I know of carried 92 or 94 carbines but my Grandfather couldn't say enough good about the 64 and loved it. He also heaped much praise on the 30-30 and I'm sure I would have let him down if my first rifle would have been chambered in anything else.

Gramp was an incredible woodsman, I miss him and his stories.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Vintage 64 advertisement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.