.40-90 Sharps Bottle Neck & Shiloh 1874 just for Bill in OR

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: .40-90 Sharps Bottle Neck & Shiloh 1874 just for Bill in

Post by Griff »

Went out and started loading some bullets... This TP over the flash hole is TEDIOUS! So, I'm about halfway thru and decide... maybe I'll just do 30 over-primer wads and the other 20 w/o. Made a video... but it ended up being too large a file for photobucket. Stills are just gonna have to do! :twisted: :P

Wads in place, 2 cases charged with .030 LDPE over-powder wads in place:

30 cases charged with powder, LDPE wads and 5 with bullets seated!

Knockin' off for the night... I'll load the rest tomorrow afternoon, IF the shop can fix my truck and have me back on the road by noon!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Those are sexy looking. Cant wait to hear how they shoot.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JReed wrote:Those are sexy looking. Cant wait to hear how they shoot.
Not so good, but not bad at all, if I do say so myself! 1st of all, I forgot my reference chart of sight settings... dern "senior moments"! Anyway, in total, I fired 10 rounds, none of which registered on the chronoghraph. And I don't have the foggiest idea why. 'Cause following that, I fired 10 rounds thru the .45Colt 18" Uberti 1873 ½-rnd/oct and 8 of the 10 registered. The other 2 registered as 90fps and 17.7 fps... The 90fps was shown as shot #7, although I'd only fired 6 rounds at that point. I'm guessin' the battery might be a little weak, as it's a year old, or a little better!

I started off on the Sharps with the sight setting just below my 200 yard mark (as I found after getting home), and was well high, firing a second shot before adjusting anything... at the top edge of the paper... 2nd shot being about 6" right of the 1st, but about the same elevation. I then moved it down (too far), and had 4 shots not on the paper, doin' that guessin' thaing! Moved it up, and shot 1 shot about 5" low, 4-½" right. Moved it up some more and fired another not quite 2-½" high, but 4-½" right. Moved the windage left and fired another shot about 4-¾" left and about an inch higher still. Split the difference on windage and dropped the elevation almost an 1/8" and fired. This punched paper 5/8" high and about 1-¼" left. This off a bench on good rests. I can see the front sight good enough, but the back sight and target are very blurry. This is probably about as good as it's going to get... my bead covers the 7" colored center of the target... So it ain't 'xactly "precise"! Oh yeah, the loads were 85 grains of Swiss #1-½ over a TP wad and CCI BR-2 Primers, all topped off with a 350 grain bullet from a RCBS .40-350-CSA mold, lubed with SPG.

Didn't want to fire anymore as I really want to know what the tale of the numbers show!

Changed rifles to see how the new Uberti Short Rifle handled BP rounds for cowboy action. My 1860 Henry is VERY tight and binds up after 3 or 4 shots... Whereas my older (1986) Uberti Rifle can go almost 100-110 rounds before the lifter starts feelin' "gummy". The 1873 shot way low, as my rear sight was on the lowest step of the elevator, which is where I had for it cowboy shoots. Moved it too much and ended up with 2 shots about 4" high. Moved it back down in the second step and shot several shots with different sight holds. Didn't bother trying to get a group, just wanted to see where to hold the front sight to get in the "green". Cut the 10-ring @ 4 o'clock on the last shot... and called it good! Especially for me with a .45 Colt at 100 yards! Good for coyote, deer or even havelina inside that distance!

The .45 Colt loads with Goex "Cartridge" are only carrying 28 grains of BP, pushing a 225 RCBS 45-225-CAV bullet with SPG lube. Outta the 18" barrel these were loafin' along at an ave. 885.5fps, with 8 of the ten measuring an ES of 52.5 and SD of 21.5.

That was with the Chrono set up about 13' in front of the muzzle to keep any BP smoke outta the screens. Next time I'm going to tape a piece of paper over the front one, and move it up to where the back screen is about 5 feet away.

All in all, not a bad day. But, I shoulda got an earlier start... as by the time I had everything set up, it was 4:30 and the sun was far from being anything close to overhead!

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Keep the updates coming. I'm enjoying seeing your process very much. As to sights, I never could use a post or bead on the front. I know I am in a minority but I've always done better with the cross hair front sight, whether on paper or little p-dogs at 300-400 yds. Some eyes need one thing and some need another.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Leverluver wrote:...I've always done better with the cross hair front sight, whether on paper or little p-dogs at 300-400 yds. Some eyes need one thing and some need another.
My next "big" purchase is good sights... I'm working with the stock sights. The rear is no great shakes... not a true "venier" sight, only a sliding bar for windage, and doesn't have enough height for any real long range.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Since my original intent was a hunting load with smokeless, I have a short range Seoul with stock Shiloh front sight with inserts. I can reach out as far as I can see which isn't very far anymore :lol:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Leverluver wrote:Since my original intent was a hunting load with smokeless, I have a short range Soule with stock Shiloh front sight with inserts. I can reach out as far as I can see which isn't very far anymore :lol:
Fixed that for ya, before some OTHER a__ did! I'd love to have their front sight with inserts... all they offered when I bought mine was a simple post & ball.

Gee, after lookin' at the blown up picture of my front sight... it looks fuzzy, and maybe it ain't my eyesight! :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Yup, as tough as a ball front is for old eyes, belly button lint makes it even fuzzier. :mrgreen: And thanks for the spelling correction
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Griff dont feel bad I have a nasty habit of leaving my range books at home. Your sights beat the ones on my rolling block by a country mile as they are the original military sites. I will be curious to see what your numbers are your next trip out.

How are you putting your 45colt loads together? Have you tried 3F?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .40-90 Sharps Bottle Neck & Shiloh 1874 just for Bill in OR

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Griff, I just ran into this older thread while doing a search for .40-90 Sharps BN. You still running yours? What loads have you settled on?
I've got a Swedish rolling block action and a new old stock Badger barrel, 30 inches, in .40 with 1:18 twist, and I refuse to waste it on a cartridge like the .40-65, which was designed for lever guns after the buffalo hunt was largely over. 8) :lol:
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Bill in OR: log onto the Shiloh-Sharps web site. There are a few 40-90BN shooters there who just might be able to help.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks Ray. I used to hang out over there years ago.