Easy access to regular levers over?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Easy access to regular levers over?

Post by wecsoger »

'Bout ten years or so ago in my buy-cheap-stack-deep phase I was able to easily acquire various flavors of levers.

At the time and it seems up to about five years ago I could buy regular 30-30's at my local pawns in the $250-275 range for Marlins, $325 for Winnies.

I remember a Revelation (renamed Marlin 336) for $225, ratted out 336A for the same.

Just traveled to KY for a day trip and visited couple of my pawns again. This time, nada, nil, zip. Not even lever one.

Thinking back in my travels, I know couple other shops I've been to, levers are few.

Now Cabelas always has a couple tagged on their racks outside of their Gun Room, but the price are way out of line of what I would pay.

So have all the kids now cleaned out mom and dad's closets and the backwoods hunters giving up and moving to the city?
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Easy access to regular levers over?

Post by Tristan »

wecsoger wrote:'Bout ten years or so ago in my buy-cheap-stack-deep phase I was able to easily acquire various flavors of levers.

At the time and it seems up to about five years ago I could buy regular 30-30's at my local pawns in the $250-275 range for Marlins, $325 for Winnies.

I remember a Revelation (renamed Marlin 336) for $225, ratted out 336A for the same.

Just traveled to KY for a day trip and visited couple of my pawns again. This time, nada, nil, zip. Not even lever one.

Thinking back in my travels, I know couple other shops I've been to, levers are few.

Now Cabelas always has a couple tagged on their racks outside of their Gun Room, but the price are way out of line of what I would pay.

So have all the kids now cleaned out mom and dad's closets and the backwoods hunters giving up and moving to the city?
I think perhaps that the bulk of sales are of the black rifle variety, and therefore shops are less willing to take on old-fashoned leveractions - they sit on the racks too long.

However, have you checked the classifieds?

Of course, could be wrong. It may be that people regained their respect for the elegant design and are keeping them in a place of honor in their homes!
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

As far as the first part, I agree, EBR's (evil black rifles) were a huge market. I say in past tense as I'm thinking we peaked about a year or two ago. I see on forums folks trying to unload all sorts of super customized AR's, with accompanying prices. And they ain't moving.

That market may change dramatically depending on further executive action, multiple Ferguson events or the Hildabeest getting elected.

But pawn shops being pawn shops, what some folks take in, they'll take /anything/ for it. But for shelf time you may be right.

As far as checking classifieds, I'm blessed and ahead of that game. Got my quota of fixer-uppers, truck guns, and a couple nice ones. They're in the safe and not eating much, so I can afford to hold on to them for awhile.

Noticed on couple book-of-face groups I'm on, rarely see levers there also. Last one came to mind was a stock Henry .45-70, asking price was $650.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

You should still be able to find plenty of "shooter grade" guns - either Winchester or MArlin - for $400

--- the market has somewhat shifted to the online places like GunBroker, Auction Arms , etc. -

Occasionally you see some on Armslist , -- but at times , dealing with Armslist people is too close to dealing with Craigslist people

I would guess pawnshops see far more cheap black bolt guns now than they do leverguns --- due to the proliferation of the $300 bolt gun in the past 15 years or so

I'd like to think today's youth is re-discovering the 'ol lever guns a bit and holding onto them also , but who knows

One other factor is pawnshops and local gun shops want the most money they can get for their wares ---- in the past, they would have items on the shelf, ---- now, straight to their online Gunbroker store or ebay with non gun related items of any value
----- Doug
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I don't think it is only levers. Just not a lot of great deals out there any more. I have all but given up on gun shows. Everyone is way too proud of their stuff. Used to try to make ever one just to pick up powder and primers, and then they became scarce as hen's teeth. Finally starting to see some back in stock, but the shows just aren't as enjoyable as they used to be. (Of course, part of this is my back; walking around on concrete for any length of time for any reason is just not fun for me).
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Our shop is buying leverguns and selling them. However, prices are, to my thinking, just a bit high. On the other hand, the dollar isn't worth what it was and that has to be accounted for as well. We sell LOTS of Ruger American and Savage Axis rifles for less money or just a little more with a scope mounted. The .243 and 7mm-08 are the most popular cartridges around here.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

People aren't trading in their guns as much. They are hanging on to what they have because they don't know if there will be limits on gun ownership in the future. Plus I hear people saying things like "the government doesn't know I have this one" because it was before background checks. People are adding to the number of guns they have and not getting rid of any.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Also part of the problem is that the older Marlins with the JM proof mark and the New Haven or the North Haven address on the barrel have taken on a cult like status. That and the Remington fabricated Marlins have issues with quality control are fertile ground for rising prices. The factor in internet web sites like the Marlin Owners forum praising the older rifles and costs are bound to increase as the demand increases and the number of available rifles decreases.

Same with the M94. The pre-64 M94 will sell for more than a post '64. The older rifles had hand fitted parts and receivers that were not made from the so-called 'mystery metal' and its subsequent problem(s) with the metal finish.

Another example of rising prices is the old Remington Model M8 and M81. I recall when they languished on the previously owned racks at the local firearms emporia and at the gun shows as no one wanted those clunky and obsolete rifles and rounds. Now they are hard to find and are costly.

Additionally, some people have the common misconception that just because a firearm is old, it is worth a great deal money or has inflated value, regardless of manufacturer, condition, etc. All it takes is one person to buy a rifle at an inflated/over valued price on the internet or at a gun show and the dealer,s more of then than not, increase their prices to reflect this increase.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

Hobie wrote:Our shop is buying leverguns and selling them. However, prices are, to my thinking, just a bit high. On the other hand, the dollar isn't worth what it was and that has to be accounted for as well. We sell LOTS of Ruger American and Savage Axis rifles for less money or just a little more with a scope mounted. The .243 and 7mm-08 are the most popular cartridges around here.
"the dollar isn't worth what it was" point taken!
"We sell LOTS of Ruger American and Savage Axis rifles for less money" Another good point.

BTW, what sort of feedback are you getting from the Ruger American and Axis customers?
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I was just at the Cabela's near Austin, TX and there was about 0 used levers on the racks there. The last time I was at the one near Hamburg, PA there were lots. Have to get back there and check out the scene. Local pusher has some used on the racks but prices are high there from what I remember.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Pawn shops make money on loans, not selling stuff, and they have no clue what they have bought. The pawn shops in my area consider a parts gun a 90% original and price it accordingly. :roll:

Our Cabela's kinda sorta does the same thing. I think their mantra is "it's old so we need to price it so that it will never sell". :roll:

The local gunshops.....

- one has some realistic used prices, but there could be the same rifle next to it for 50% more. :?
- the other puts everything used online after sitting in the rack for 24 hours.

The internet auction sites have some pretty good deals if you filter through all the irrationally priced and stupid reserve listings.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

I just sold two NIB levers this week and took five more to local gunstore for consignment. Gun store had a good selection of Henrys but no Marlins or Rossis.

Tastes are changing as lots of hunters are now converting to military style semi-auto rifles and the others seem to think they need a 1300 yard bolt action with a gazillion X range finding scope even though every one I talk to says their deer was killed at less than 100 yards or even 50 yards.

Last saturday I invited a friend to bring his 16 year old grandson to my place to try for his first deer. About an hour after they arrived my phone rang and he announced that the boy had gotten a little 6 point buck about 300 yards from the house. Used a .243 bolt action for a 60 yard shot. Happy for the boy but I wouldn't be surprised in in a few years he 'moves up' to a .270 or 30-06 for the same 60 yard shot. It is the way of the world nowdays.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

" Happy for the boy but I wouldn't be surprised in in a few years he 'moves up' to a .270 or 30-06 for the same 60 yard shot. It is the way of the world nowdays."
--BAGTIC

Wonder if he'll move up to a '06 or a .270. Around here every Tom, Dick, and Harry knows -- and they will tell you so -- that for anything past 75 yards, a .300 Win Mag or a Weatherby calibre is needed with a variable 'scope maxing out at 'bout 24 power is needed....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.