A .327 carbine?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

A .327 carbine?

Post by Rusty »

I saw where Jeff Quinn did a review of the new Ruger "Single Seven" from Ruger in .327 Federal. It seems that Ruger is trying single handed to keep the .327 alive. It seems to me it might be easier to do if it were avalible in a a carbine. While a levergun might be nice wouldn't a bolt action be just as good? I'm thinking 77/327? Wouldn't it be like a .32-20?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: A .327 carbine?

Post by Old Savage »

It operates at 45,000 psi.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Well I was going to check my reloading manuals to see what the PSI levels are on the .32-20 but...

my son moved out and now I can't find my reloading manuals.

JUNIOR!!!!!!

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I SAW THAT TOO.... LAST NIGHT.....
I AM SORT OF WARIMING UP TO THE SINGLE SEVEN 327 BECAUSE OF THE DIFFERENT AMMO IT CAN DISPENSE.... :D
AND THE IDEA OF A MARLIN LEVER IN 327 SOUNDS GOOD TO ME

http://gunblast.com/Ruger-Single7.htm

CHECK IT OUT...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

There are some single shot 32s out there that could be converted very easily. Folks have reamed the chamber on a 32 cal Marlin 94 so the could shoot 327.

I have never wanted a new production Remlin 94, or a new production Rossi 92, but if they made one in 327 I might be tempted.

Since 32 cal levers are out of production, and I can't afford a used 32 cal Marlin 94, I found an old 32 WS Win 94, and have enjoyed that carbine a lot.

I'm waiting patiently for my Ruger single seven... might be here any day!

Edit: I was surprised to see that Jeff Quinn found the 7 1/2" barrel consistently to be the slowest of the three.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My biggest concern with buying a Marlin in .327 would be the lack of quality in the recent offerings they've been putting out. I'd much rather have a bolt action from Ruger that I know I could depend on.

MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

I don't like bolt guns because I shoot rifles left handed.

I don't like pistol grips, for no good reason.

I don't like new guns, for the reasons you stated.

Therefore, I have to find vintage, straight stock leverguns. <Sigh!> ;)
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I would like a carbine length levergun in .327 to go with the .327 SP101 that PillHer has.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The quality of the most recently made Remington Marlins is outstanding. I have not tested accuracy, but fit and finish is excellent with everything plumb and straight and nary a thing too proud of its neighbor. I am not a fan of CB safeties or the checkering but both are well done. The actions have a smooth but vault like feel. Have had zero complaints on feeding.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Hobie wrote:The quality of the most recently made Remington Marlins is outstanding. I have not tested accuracy, but fit and finish is excellent with everything plumb and straight and nary a thing too proud of its neighbor. I am not a fan of CB safeties or the checkering but both are well done. The actions have a smooth but vault like feel. Have had zero complaints on feeding.
I was equally impressed with the three new ones I saw at my local shop last night. Seems there was a price increase along with the higher quality too.
NRA Life Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rusty wrote:I saw where Jeff Quinn did a review of the new Ruger "Single Seven" from Ruger in .327 Federal. It seems that Ruger is trying single handed to keep the .327 alive. It seems to me it might be easier to do if it were avalible in a a carbine.
There would need to be some fairly major redesign for a Marlin or Winchester levergun to work well with it, I'm told (not sure why 'cuz I'm not a gunsmith), but I would think making a Ruger 96 function with that round wouldn't be all that difficult, it uses the same type rotary magazine as the Ruger 77/357's do.

The lever is fully open in the photo above; that short-throw makes the little 96/44 a fast and slick little levergun.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

or how about a kel-tec sub2k? it's shooting 9mm and 40 s&w, the pressures would be about the same, right? it is a dandy light-weight carbine.

just kidding
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Grizz wrote:or how about a kel-tec sub2k? it's shooting 9mm and 40 s&w, the pressures would be about the same, right? it is a dandy light-weight carbine.

just kidding

The rim would be a major problem there.

HOWEVER, a TC Contender carbine would be a real joy! :mrgreen:
Merle from PA
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

AJMD429 wrote:
Rusty wrote:I saw where Jeff Quinn did a review of the new Ruger "Single Seven" from Ruger in .327 Federal. It seems that Ruger is trying single handed to keep the .327 alive. It seems to me it might be easier to do if it were avalible in a a carbine.
There would need to be some fairly major redesign for a Marlin or Winchester levergun to work well with it, I'm told (not sure why 'cuz I'm not a gunsmith), but I would think making a Ruger 96 function with that round wouldn't be all that difficult, it uses the same type rotary magazine as the Ruger 77/357's do.

The lever is fully open in the photo above; that short-throw makes the little 96/44 a fast and slick little levergun.
That same style in a .327 ought to be a great little gun. I think that the slower powders might make it work better in the longer barrel, but the case is so small that it might not hold enough powder to make a difference in a longer barrel. I would like to try and find a good powder for it if there were a carbine ever produced for it. I know that the manufacturers have been running with most of the time proven sellers for the last few years, but with the slowdown, it might be feasible to make a few new cartridge sizes in the proven designs.
D. Brian Casady
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

What would it do that a 357 MAg carbine doesnt?

If someone likes it as a "fun gun" --- then no further explanation needed -- more levergun cartridges that are useful would be welcome

(i know , i know --- just a few years ago , there were new bolt guns introduced every week for various short mags , then super short magnums - etc -- as well as a few big boomers - anybody remember Lazzeronii - :lol: )
----- Doug
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

AJMD429 wrote:

I thought about the 96, but I figured that would be asking too much.

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Hobie wrote:The quality of the most recently made Remington Marlins is outstanding. I have not tested accuracy, but fit and finish is excellent with everything plumb and straight and nary a thing too proud of its neighbor. I am not a fan of CB safeties or the checkering but both are well done. The actions have a smooth but vault like feel. Have had zero complaints on feeding.

Hobie, do you know what's changed? Did they re-tool the lines or something?

BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Rusty wrote:

Why should they need to retool the lines? If the old machinery was producing acceptable guns when it was in Marlin's factory the flaw must not have been in the machinery. It just takes time to get the bugs out of a product. Just ask General Motors.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The newest Marlins I have seen have been just fine.
Good to see Hobie posting again. Or have I just missed seeing his posts?
:wink:
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

One drawback of the .327 in a carbine is that its short COL does not take advantage of even the shortest carbine actions such as the M1892. Might as well use a 30/357 that would use same feed and extraction systems as existing .357 models
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Streetstar wrote:What would it do that a 357 MAg carbine doesnt?

If someone likes it as a "fun gun" --- then no further explanation needed -- more levergun cartridges that are useful would be welcome

(i know , i know --- just a few years ago , there were new bolt guns introduced every week for various short mags , then super short magnums - etc -- as well as a few big boomers - anybody remember Lazzeronii - :lol: )

It would not do anything the 357 Magnum could not do as well or better. Both are realistically limited by trajectories and energy levels to 150-175 yardsse against game at the larger end of their usefulness range.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

BAGTIC wrote:
Streetstar wrote:What would it do that a 357 MAg carbine doesnt?

It would not do anything the 357 Magnum could not do as well or better. Both are realistically limited by trajectories and energy levels to 150-175 yardsse against game at the larger end of their usefulness range.
I have everything I need, but want is the key word here. I don't have a .357 levergun, but PillHer does have the .327 SP101 and a little levergun to go with it would be really nice. Heck, if the criteria were that the cartridge had to do something else that the others didn't do, we would have about 20 cartridges to choose from.
D. Brian Casady
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i picked up one of the ruger single 7s and have tried it out briefly.....quite accurate, with 32 H&R and 327 factory ammo, at 60 feet the groups are a couple of inches, and that is with my poor eyes.

i have the marlin 1894 32 H&R carbine and, on the advice of a friend, i checked and it will feed the 327 federal with no problem and extract and eject a fired 327 shell. he has already bought a 327 federal reamer and converted his to chamber and fire the 327 and has excellent results, and of course, it still handles the 32 H&R ,.......he is going to loan me the reamer and i will rechamber mine as well. the little carbine puts the 32 H&Rs in in one hole at 25 yards

the only 'advantage' to this compared to 38/357 is the flatter trajectory, and really mostly the novelty if truth be known; although the single 7 certainly is a potent package on the single 6 frame. only customs offer similar on such a small framed revolver, except of course, the wonderful single six sized uberti single action model P jr. in 38 special. i have one of those, the target model with adjustable sights, and it is splendid.
cable
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

hfcable wrote:i picked up one of the ruger single 7s and have tried it out briefly.....quite accurate, with 32 H&R and 327 factory ammo, at 60 feet the groups are a couple of inches, and that is with my poor eyes.

i have the marlin 1894 32 H&R carbine and, on the advice of a friend, i checked and it will feed the 327 federal with no problem and extract and eject a fired 327 shell. he has already bought a 327 federal reamer and converted his to chamber and fire the 327 and has excellent results, and of course, it still handles the 32 H&R ,.......he is going to loan me the reamer and i will rechamber mine as well. the little carbine puts the 32 H&Rs in in one hole at 25 yards

the only 'advantage' to this compared to 38/357 is the flatter trajectory, and really mostly the novelty if truth be known; although the single 7 certainly is a potent package on the single 6 frame. only customs offer similar on such a small framed revolver, except of course, the wonderful single six sized uberti single action model P jr. in 38 special. i have one of those, the target model with adjustable sights, and it is splendid.

I have seen them in 32-20, but never in 32 mag. How long have you had it? :?:
Merle from PA
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Merle wrote:
hfcable wrote:i picked up one of the ruger single 7s and have tried it out briefly.....quite accurate, with 32 H&R and 327 factory ammo, at 60 feet the groups are a couple of inches, and that is with my poor eyes.

i got mine a year or so ago; they made a brief run of the 32H&R mag; they bring high prices now, though.

there are some on gunbroker right now; this one just sold on there:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =436364224

brought 1310$

the 32/20s could be converted i think
cable
1894c

Post by 1894c »

TedH wrote:
I was equally impressed with the three new ones I saw at my local shop last night. Seems there was a price increase along with the higher quality too.
my experience with the new REM-Marlins is the same as you two guys...AND having a levergun in .327 was a topic of discussion at a campfire about four nights ago, and we didn't read the Gunblast article either...I personally like the idea... :)
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

hfcable wrote: the 32/20s could be converted i think
No, sadly, they cannot.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Marlin has offered the 1894 in .32 H&R Magnum in the past ... it didn't sell and was dropped.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/ ... Magnum.asp

I fall into the "what does it do that a .357 doesn't do" camp. I know that folks like the smaller single six platform, but it's still bigger than a S&W K frame .357.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Warhawk wrote:Marlin has offered the 1894 in .32 H&R Magnum in the past ... it didn't sell and was dropped.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/ ... Magnum.asp

I fall into the "what does it do that a .357 doesn't do" camp. I know that folks like the smaller single six platform, but it's still bigger than a S&W K frame .357.
you are pretty much right, but i just had to try the single seven,,, just because.

and now that i have it, i will use the reamer on my marlin 32 H&R just because.

in fact an awful lot of my collection.....which is really just an accumulation, falls into this category :D
cable
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

hfcable wrote:
Merle wrote:

i got mine a year or so ago; they made a brief run of the 32H&R mag; they bring high prices now, though.

brought 1310$

Looks like I was sleeping at the switch again!!! :cry:

How does it feed?
Merle from PA
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Merle wrote:
hfcable wrote:
Merle wrote:

brought 1310$

How does it feed?[/quote ]

mine feeds 32 H&R perfectly , and it also feeds the 327 just as well. just need the chamber reamer my friend is going to loan me

i am a levergun addict, so why not have a compact little rifle in 327/32?
cable
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Merle wrote:
hfcable wrote:
Merle wrote:

brought 1310$

How does it feed?[/quote ]

mine feeds 32 H&R perfectly , and it also feeds the 327 just as well. just need the chamber reamer my friend is going to loan me

i am a levergun addict, so why not have a compact little rifle in 327/32?[/quote]

Since it is such a rare item I'd have to think long & hard before I did something that can't be undone. Guess the collector blood is showing, huh? :?
Merle from PA
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

True, but unless someone measured the chamber with a chamber cast they would not know. no external changes are made, and it still handles the 32 H&R perfectly well.

and my son will inherit it, so what the heck.

:D
cable
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

I reamed my Buckeye Blackhawk 32... there are no markings to give it away as a 327. You have to measure to find out!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Rusty wrote:

Marlin moved, tried to produce, couldn't as the new workers couldn't run the old machinery the way the old workers could, went looking for the engineering drawings and there were none. They are reverse engineering each model and now producing everything on CNC machinery. Result is repeatable quality just as is done with the ARs. The 336 .35 Rems we received on Monday were slick but "tight" as in no slop. BETTER than some from the pre-Remington production. It is a whole new show and the price did rise.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hobie wrote:They are reverse engineering each model and now producing everything on CNC machinery. Result is repeatable quality just as is done with the ARs. The 336 .35 Rems we received on Monday were slick but "tight" as in no slop. BETTER than some from the pre-Remington production. It is a whole new show and the price did rise.
This sounds encouraging....!!!!

8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Hobie wrote:
Rusty wrote:

Marlin moved, tried to produce, couldn't as the new workers couldn't run the old machinery the way the old workers could, went looking for the engineering drawings and there were none. They are reverse engineering each model and now producing everything on CNC machinery. Result is repeatable quality just as is done with the ARs. The 336 .35 Rems we received on Monday were slick but "tight" as in no slop. BETTER than some from the pre-Remington production. It is a whole new show and the price did rise.

So....if a feller was willing to try one of these Marlins off the new CNC line, how could he make sure he was getting one and not one of the sloppier Remlins? Not only in person but online. Are there any proofmarks or tell-tale signs?
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle