Big game semiautos (other than M1A and AR-10's)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Big game semiautos (other than M1A and AR-10's)

Post by AJMD429 »

Looks like Browning has some competition in the semi-auto big-game rifle arena.

http://www.benelliusa.com/r1-big-game-r ... ns-section
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Big game semiautos (other than M1A and AR-10's)

Post by jnyork »

If I had a dog with a face that ugly, I'd shave his butt and make him walk backwards!! :wink:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jnyork wrote:If I had a dog with a face that ugly, I'd shave his butt and make him walk backwards!! :wink:
:lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I think Remington still make the 7400.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I don't think it's much competiton for a B.A.R. - Benelli's been trying to sell R1's for more than 20 years now (introduced in 1993), and I've yet to see one in a funshop.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pete44ru wrote:I don't think it's much competiton for a B.A.R. - Benelli's been trying to sell R1's for more than 20 years now (introduced in 1993), and I've yet to see one in a funshop.
Probably true. Though you seldom see BAR's either - all that stuff is so expensive that people usually custom-order them directly, and evidently keep vs. sell them.

I did see an article about a sort-of-AR design in 300 Win Mag a few months ago, though. Looked like an AR-10 that took a 'big' pill and got even more ungainly, though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Pete, I've seen about five R1's in three states.

They're around, but not a huge demand for them. The AR-10 variants do much better for most people's purposes.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

I always liked the lines of the Winchester M100 autoloader:

https://www.google.com/search?q=winches ... d=0CCMQsAQ
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

AJMD429 wrote:
Pete44ru wrote: I did see an article about a sort-of-AR design in 300 Win Mag a few months ago, though. Looked like an AR-10 that took a 'big' pill and got even more ungainly, though.
The Nemo -- very cool -- but for most folk's practical usage -- Browning does chamber the BAR in 300 win mag

----- Doug
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

blowback operation, just like a glock.

proven track record

cheap

well, that one isn't, but the ptr's are
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

crs wrote:I always liked the lines of the Winchester M100 autoloader:

I had one of those "in inventory" for a while --- one of my dad's former wives was ill and went into the hospital and gave me all her guns for safekeeping, --- it had belonged to her father, but i recall my dad using it in deer season several times as well

Sleek and clean lines --- i like it --- but since i was unsure of what she wanted me to do with them, her guns remained unfired and protected when in my care ---- turns out she wanted them back when she got better :lol:

----- Doug
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

Despite being long, unwieldy and having possibly the most unergonomic safety lever ever put on a production hunting rifle. In spite of spare parts and magazines being either unobtainable and/or priced as though machined out of precious metals.
After all that, I'm still fond of my .30-06 HK 940

Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

AJMD429 wrote:Looks like Browning has some competition in the semi-auto big-game rifle arena.

http://www.benelliusa.com/r1-big-game-r ... ns-section

Benelli's tend to be ugly - but usually work well. 8)
Merle from PA
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Remington 750 woodsmaster, 243 win. to 35 whelen, two barrlel lengths.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Grizz,
What is that fine lookin' piece you posted?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

UncleBuck wrote:Grizz,
HK 91. (or G3) variant it looks like
----- Doug
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote:
Pete44ru wrote:I don't think it's much competiton for a B.A.R. - Benelli's been trying to sell R1's for more than 20 years now (introduced in 1993), and I've yet to see one in a funshop.
Probably true. Though you seldom see BAR's either - all that stuff is so expensive that people usually custom-order them directly, and evidently keep vs. sell them.

I did see an article about a sort-of-AR design in 300 Win Mag a few months ago, though. Looked like an AR-10 that took a 'big' pill and got even more ungainly, though.
I've seen quite a few of the R1's in several shops in VA and MD . Now knowing someone that bought one is another matter .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Briefly here, let's forget the ugly part, because it is.

What confuses me is that while the Italians can build a semi auto rifle that I'm sure is accurate and functions great and with that we can add some of their fine shotguns and of course the Beretta 92, then why do they make junk in the levergun department?

Yea, some may be ok, but just look at the reviews of the new 1886. J-U-N-K--------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Streetstar wrote:
Hi Doug,

I searched images for ptr-91 and that one came up. don't even know the make, just the concept. my 91 looks similar with the para stock, but I have the old g3 wood forearm on mine... and my scope mounts with the original g3 clamp mount.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Grizz wrote:
Streetstar wrote:
Hi Doug,

I searched images for ptr-91 and that one came up. don't even know the make, just the concept. my 91 looks similar with the para stock, but I have the old g3 wood forearm on mine... and my scope mounts with the original g3 clamp mount.
One of these seasons I will use mine as well.

If for no other reason than (A) I'm sub-minute of deer @ 400yds with nothing but Irons and (B) it makes the Antis wet their panties - even with a 5rd mag (not necessary here, but an easy enough pin-job where the .gov has declared magazines to be too scary to hunt with...)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

After seeing a couple of posts mentioning other military style rifles --- i will add my .02 on big capacity mil spec rifles for hunting purposes

---------- Not great for the job

-- Its not that they wont do the job, -- any 308 powered FAL/G3/SCAR/Garand/Cetme/Galil/ - and variations of those --- will definitely do a number on most north american or european game -

------- but -- they are heeeeavvy --- and pistol grips and big magazines are cumbersome in the woods --- they are a bit ergonomically challenged and dont carry well over the course of a long day -----

One of the worst weekends afield i ever had was when i borrowed a buddies' SKS --- i made sure it was sighted in and all, -- and it didnt seem bad at first , but after a few hours, i noticed every extra ounce on that porky little piece of stuff
---- battle rifles seem to be designed to be carried slung, not in the hand, ----- for the most part

I love the pic of the civilian HK in this thread -- i havent seen one of those in 25 years (since i was a teenager) --- The BEnelli's and BAR's and similar rifles are likely all nearly as heavy as a battle rifle , but i would bet they carry much better for a real day afield for a sportsman

---- I have some AR's and have owned a few FAL variants and was proficient with most NATO and Warsaw pact small arms while in the army --- but i always pick a hunting rifle for hunting season now, unless i have nothing else (hasnt happened since that looong weekend with an SKS --- it was like carrying barbells from the gym - so much concentrated weight in such a short package )
----- Doug
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Good and valid points.

It's true that they're heavy. I hunt animals that are feeding on beaches, sometimes driven down by snow and sometimes trapped and about to drown. So the skiff is gun bearer and I'm still able to get the thing up for offhand shots. no use for the plains ranges.

when I do go into the woods it's usually to pick up a downed animal or to hunt the guard timber. Often co-habited by coastal brown bears. Big. Stinky. Nasty. Sociopaths.

308 is a great deer round but not, imo, a great bear stopper. unless I have effortless follow-up shots.

I have a couple of 5 round mags but I would consider that not great in the bear woods. I'll pick up some 10 rounders when I see them. But, you're only saving the weight of 10 rounds. I could just short load the regular mag.

As far as carrying the thing up to alpine, yeah, it'd be a chore, but all the young whippersnappers should be good to go. Me, I can barely move in the morning after a regular day's work as day labor, helping daughter around the place. I doubt I'll ever see alpine again.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Molasses wrote:Despite being long, unwieldy and having possibly the most unergonomic safety lever ever put on a production hunting rifle. In spite of spare parts and magazines being either unobtainable and/or priced as though machined out of precious metals.
After all that, I'm still fond of my .30-06 HK 940

We had one of these in the shop two weeks ago for a good cleaning and going over !

In the past I'd had my hands on several of the H&K 301 22 MAG semi's but this was the first of the big caliber H&K semi's I'd ever actually touched .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Streetstar wrote:
crs wrote:I always liked the lines of the Winchester M100 autoloader:

I had one of those "in inventory" for a while --- one of my dad's former wives was ill and went into the hospital and gave me all her guns for safekeeping, --- it had belonged to her father, but i recall my dad using it in deer season several times as well

Sleek and clean lines --- i like it --- but since i was unsure of what she wanted me to do with them, her guns remained unfired and protected when in my care ---- turns out she wanted them back when she got better :lol:

Four or five years ago we went to Vermont and picked up about 50-60 guns a fellow had . He was a retired gunshow seller I guess is the best way to put it . Anyway of the stuff we picked up to sell for him about a dozen were Winchester Model 100 semi's and over half of them were for the 284 WIN . I almost bought one of the 284's but refrained . Kinda wish I had but I am sure if I had I woulda resold it already .
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

I have two M100 one in .308 and one converted to .358. Haven't seen anything here that would make me want to change.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I've killed maybe 18 or so deer with a couple of old Ruger 44R carbines . But to be honest I've never been in a situation deer hunting that I felt handicapped by not having a semi auto . And with that being said I've had a number of times I've plowed three deer PDQ with both lever actions and bolt actions . Heck I've had two or three times I did in a pair of whitetails PDQ with a Ruger #1 single shot . A person that's focused and reasonably familiar with the gun he's carrying can shoot a lot quicker then they think . The question is whether they can shoot ACCURATELY when shooting FAST . Now with that being said the accurately thing goes hand in hand with a semi auto shooter as well .
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Of course one isn't handicapped by not having a semi-auto for hunting. Heck, a Handi is plenty 85+% of the time... and a Double Rifle is the Final Word in "Dangerous Game".

But, if you can annoy the antis by using your MBR for Hunting - even without the "ginormous clip" - then why not?
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Years ago HK also made a .308 semiauto called the SL7 IIRC. It always reminded of of the old German K43. I wish I'd bought one when they were avalible. Like a lot of other things, you think they'll make them forever.
I remember shooting a BAR one time. I had gone to the range to shoot my Garand and as I was packing up to leave a guy showed up and started unpacking a brand new BAR. I kind of slowed up my packing as I'd never seen a BAR operate before. I asked the guy what he had and he said it was a .300 Win Mag and in the same sentence asks, you wanna shoot it? I thought hmmm, 300 win mag, never shot one of those before. I said sure. I really was expecting to get belted pretty good but I guess the weight along with the gas operation calmed it down pretty good. The recoil was about like that of my Garand or maybe even a little less. As I handed the rifle back to the owner I said wow! That recoil is really mild, I had expected much more. That's when he smiled and said yea, I've never shot it before, I was kind of watching you to see what it was like. We both got a laugh out of that.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

But, if you can annoy the antis by using your MBR for Hunting - even without the "ginormous clip" - then why not?
this

make 'em snivel, the deer won't mind
Last edited by Grizz on Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Old Ironsights wrote:Of course one isn't handicapped by not having a semi-auto for hunting. Heck, a Handi is plenty 85+% of the time... and a Double Rifle is the Final Word in "Dangerous Game".

Because it doesnt really annoy the antis? --- most of them are not in the field when i am hunting , let alone in my section, at my base camp , etc etc ---- so my choice of rifle does not annoy them one way or another except "in spirit"

OTOH, if it was a demonstration of capabilities someone legitimately wanted, i would gladly find a 5 round mag for a G3 variant and go huntin' (well -- probably a FAL --- i like to save my brass :lol: )
----- What i would be left with -- after installing an adapter and a scope so i could see past 300 yards -- and then i would get heckled by guys who read Soldier of Fortune for not running an ACOG --- is a 10.5 - 11 pound 308 ---
I'd rather have a nice Model 70 featherweight with a decent scope - at maybe 7-8 pounds with the same capability in the field ,
but i hunt a lot of short yardage land when i am persuaded to go, --- so the Guide Gun for me is fine

Equipment choice is fun to talk about though :)

Lest anybody think i'm a "prude" that thinks everything needs to be banned except "legitimate" sporting rifles and shotguns --- after my poor experience with the aforementioned SKS, - i used an SBR CAR-15 (11.5" barreled "old school" AR) for about 5 years before getting leveritis --- it works fine with heavy for caliber bullets and good shot placement for whitetail size game ----- i hate seeing folks use them on hogs, because even a hog deserves a little respect , but thin skinned game up to 200 pounds or so -- no prob ---
----- Doug
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

You don't need to "find" 5rd mags for a G3. Pinning a $3 20rd mag is plenty good enough. :twisted:

With Irons, from the knee, my HK91 is minute of deer to 400yds. (18" gong).

With the Bipod & 4x scope... well...

The point isn't so much to have some Anti SEE you, as for you to legitimately say "what do you mean my G3/FAL/AR isn't good for hunting? I hunted with it last year and cleanly took X deer to feed my family..."

ANd while your AR/G3/FAL may not be optimal for hunting, it's better for Hunting than your hunting rifle is as an MBR... :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Old Ironsights wrote: ANd while your AR/G3/FAL may not be optimal for hunting, it's better for Hunting than your hunting rifle is as an MBR... :wink:

It is still a free country and the only limit on how many guns i can have is
1) my wife , and
2) my bank account (notice which goes first, but they are one and the same)

--- that said -- i'd rather use the best tool for the job , no matter what job it is now --- when i was stalking deer with a CAR-15, it was because it was literally the only rifle i had at the time , - and i was young and somewhat broke --- plus, an AR-15 to me is still the most ergo rifle of all time

-- I got older, - i have a teensy tadpole bit more money, --- and i like firearms , -- its part of the fun to pick up something i like to use now rather than something i am forced to use because i am too broke to afford a Rem 742 or Guide Gun , or a BAR ---
Shoot , with the price of a base model Rem 700, or Savage, Mossberg or a Ruger American --- its nice that the price of a serviceable hunting rifle is not much higher than a 10/22 though ---- I'll even throw the Mossy 464 and Rossi Rio Grande 30/30 into that mix - as i trust those more than i do a new Marlin at this point

I'd just assume save the military rifles for either competition , range use, - or times of serious personal distress -- and carry a sleek (to me) BAR afield if i were dead set on using a semi -- that Benelli looks good too , in a Euro sort of way
----- Doug
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Old Ironsights wrote:Of course one isn't handicapped by not having a semi-auto for hunting. Heck, a Handi is plenty 85+% of the time... and a Double Rifle is the Final Word in "Dangerous Game".

The antis d..a..m..n sure better not be on ANY property I hunt in VA as I either own it or it's a friends property . And anywhere I hunt in Maryland is federally owned so the park service folks can deal with them there .

One of these days I'll get an AR most likely for the 6.8 SPC and kill a couple deer with it and if my firearms history continues I'll more then likely sell it in less then two years after I got it . Have no intention of buying an M1A or a Garand . But I might borrow a friends M1A and kill a deer just for the s..h..y..t..e of it .

I just did my stint with a Remington 742 and while I wasn't overly touched by the gun I woulda had no problems hunting with it in most places I hunt here in VA . As to a Browning BAR one of the old Belgium ones in 308 or 06 might catch my fancy one of these days but I'll be buying it more to speculate if I ever get one . And actually the newer Browning BAR short/long Trac guns seem to shoot a shade better with factory ammo then the nice old collectible Belgian guns . I sighted in three of the Trac BAR's with factory ammo for some customers and they all shot very nice groups at 100 yards after I got them hitting where I wanted them . Shot one of them in a 300 Win Mag with the cheapest Winchester 150 grain ammo the guy could get . After sighting in letting cool I then shot a 3 shot group at 100 yards that all three shots were touching . I think after subtracting the bullet diameter the group measured something just a hair shy of 1/2" !!!!
And yes I tried top buy that gun from the customer when he came to pick it up :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Streetstar wrote: Shoot , with the price of a base model Rem 700, or Savage, Mossberg or a Ruger American --- its nice that the price of a serviceable hunting rifle is not much higher than a 10/22 though ---- I'll even throw the Mossy 464 and Rossi Rio Grande 30/30 into that mix - as i trust those more than i do a new Marlin at this point
I am a Remington 700 person thru and thru for building rifles in non factory chamberings . And when I look for a donor rifle I typically look for older 700's meaning made before 1990 or so . Personally I think they were finished a bit better etc etc . When I buy Marlin's , well when I was still buying Marlin's the Remington B..S hadn't started yet . Now if I were buying them I suspect I would stay in the 1964-1978 area as I most likely would only by 444's , 1895's or the 336-44 any longer . Sure if the price is right and the gun is nice I wouldn't have issue with any Marlin Pre 1920 1893 , 1894 or 1895 rifle . But my point being I tend to shy away from new guns now , there are way way to many things about the vast majority of newly manufactured firearms that I don't care for .

Now I will say a Savage Model 12LRP in 260 REM or 6.5 Creedmoor would be nice as an entry level bench gun 8)