A levergun post

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Levergunner 3.0

A levergun post

Post by 1894 »

I've been half halfheartedly looking for a Marlin 39 ( or any of the A variants ) for a long time now . So long that when I started I thought $ 100 was as much as I wanted to spend on a tin can plinker / occasional squirrel gun and passed on several in the $ 150 range. :(
I've always liked the Marlins and thought ( like a recent topic here ) that a 39A would be a great practice rifle to go with my center fire marlins .
Well I finally broke down and got one ( several x what I started out wanting to spend years ago ) and wow do I regret not getting one a lot sooner.

It was made in '57 , and came like this (+ the sling not in the first pictures ).

The carry handle had to go and I got a new Lyman 66 for it ( under $ 60 from optics planet ) and now it looks like this .

Now to find a fold down rear sight or a slot filler for it. I got a brick of the super colibri for forty bucks and a bulk pack 500 rnds of thunderturds for twenty five bucks and plan on having a lot of fun with this .
Last edited by 1894 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil
Levergunner 3.0

Re: A levergun post

Post by 1894 »

My apologies for the full size pictures , some day I'll figure out how to do the ' click on small pic to see the full size pic' thing.
Phil
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That's a rifle that will give a lot of pleasure and last forever......Congratulations... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BIG pics are good...nice levergun, that's a really good choice, been thinking about getting one...nice pics too... :
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

What scope is that, and what do you have planned for it?
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

That is a real one!

N 8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

7.62 Precision wrote:What scope is that, and what do you have planned for it?
It is a weaver B6 , roughly the same vintage as the rifle . It is in fair shape and I planned on keeping all the stuff together for whoever gets this rifle after my cold dead hands let it go :)

I am thinking about getting a lower sitting blade front sight for it though. I still have the xs sights from Pharmseller
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... f=1&t=1054

Tried the front blade on the 39a today and it fit fine but was way too tall. Not sure of the height I need , but would like a blade that is a little lower than the original gold bead that is on it. The new 66 is aluminum and it is raised up a bit higher than I'd like .

The xs sights in the above link are free to a good home as The williams 5d worked without changing the front sight out on my 1894.
Edited for spelling and clarification
Phil
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Looks a lot like mine made in '54.

It's my all time best .22 Levergun!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

You may not really want a lower front sight. I've had a lot of receiver peep sights, and every one required changing the front sight to a taller one. Sounds like somebody has already done this on yours.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Washita wrote:You may not really want a lower front sight. I've had a lot of receiver peep sights, and every one required changing the front sight to a taller one. Sounds like somebody has already done this on yours.
I know , I've read about a lot of folks that needed a taller front sight. I believe this front sight is factory and worked great with the standard rear sight. I'm just being a little fussy and shy about the new 66 sitting almost 1/2" above the receiver with the origional sight on it. That, and I loved the sight picture with the XS blade on front but because that goes with the top mounted receiver sight it was way too high , the stop screw wouldn't even touch the base.
I'm in no hurry , and I'll be off line for a week or so , I'll look into it some more then.
Phil
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Of all the Marlin's I've had over the years I NEVER owned a 39 or 39A . Always wanted a a 39A , 39M and a 39A-DL from 1961 . The 39A Carbine would have been nice to have also . I did own half a 39A for awhile , had a hybrid gun once the action back to the buttplate were a 1897 and the barrel , magtube and forend were from a 39A . That thing was a heck of a shooter and I sold it to a friend after using it to shoot several dozen snapping turtles out of a friends farm pond (he claimed they were killing all his stocked bass).

This one pictured above seems quite nice also !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Ragnor
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Ragnor »

Nice 39! I really like mine too. They all shoot great. I wish I could find them for a $150.00 :lol: Those days are over. Nice photo.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

If your front sight is a blade sight, just file it down to where you want the POA to be.

Those old Weavers are becoming very collectable. Here's one I took off of an old pre-war 39.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The old Weaver on the gun "appears to me" to be a B6 .

I had one of those on the hybrid 1897/39A I had worked great on pond turtles .

That scope in decent shape usually brings somewhere from $30-60 depending on condition and how bad the buyer wants it !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Nice rifle, the little 39 is a dandy gun. The added Lyman is a perfect fit.

Congrats
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I would like those XS sights if you still have them. Glad to pay for shipping.
PM sent also.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I would like those XS sights if you still have them. Glad to pay for shipping.
PM sent also.
Seems the XS sights have found a new home 8)
When I get Chuck 100 yds address they will be on their way to him.
Nice to keep the pay it forward thing going here at Leverguns :D
Phil
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Thanks for all the compliments , I really like this rifle a lot.
Phil