35 is caliber of choice for 2014 deer

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

35 is caliber of choice for 2014 deer

Post by BenT »

These are what I'm using this year. Top is a 1895 in 35 Winchester, which I found a great load with 220 gr fp speer. I can't wait to get a deer with this one.

The middle one is the old reliable 356 Winchester. This is a backup is case opener is cloudy and overcast. My stand is in the woods and on cloudy days early in the morning I can't see the front bead with iron sights. I loaded up some 180 gr fp speer for this one.

The bottom is a 351 Win that I didn't connect with any deer last year. This is my driving gun through the thick stuff.

So that is the selection for this year
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 35 is caliber of choice for 2014 deer

Post by ollogger »

Great looking trio there, man that self loader would be the ticket in the thick stuff
gonna use a 38-55 Marlin coy boy this year & I put a scope on it & I was shocked how well that gun could shoot :wink:

ollogger
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Throw in a .357 Rossi/Marlin and you will have the .35s pretty well covered... :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BenT --- nice looking leverguns...really like the1895 in 35 Winchester, but have never seen or heard of the 351 Winchester (I live a sheltered life)...thanks for posting and educating me at the same time...
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

1892 wrote:BenT --- nice looking leverguns...really like the1895 in 35 Winchester, but have never seen or heard of the 351 Winchester (I live a sheltered life)...thanks for posting and educating me at the same time...
Good grief man, the 351 was one of the all time great rifles of the 20's Gangster era... It's a Cops & Bankrobbers gun... :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

1892 wrote:BenT --- nice looking leverguns...really like the1895 in 35 Winchester, but have never seen or heard of the 351 Winchester (I live a sheltered life)...thanks for posting and educating me at the same time...
The .351 was Winchester's attempt to use an existing design to recover from one of their greatest mistakes, a mistake both Remington and FN greatly benefited from.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Ironsights wrote:
Good grief man, the 351 was one of the all time great rifles of the 20's Gangster era... It's a Cops & Bankrobbers gun... :wink:
It's popularity waxed, and waned long before 1892 was born.......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Nice Trio!

I just moved house, and one of my new neighbors is a retired
forest ranger. He has one of those autos in 351 Winchester,
and brought it over to show me just last week. A little bit
anemic for deer I'm told, but maybe okay in heavy stuff
where the shots are at very close range. Cool gun.

He also showed me a 100th Anniversary 1894; never fired and
as new in the original box with paperwork.

-Stretch
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Great choices! Love those 35's.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I just took my new-to-me Marlin 336 in .35 Remington to the range yesterday. The sight was 6 inches high at first, so I lowered it all the way, than made it 4 inches low, then the third shot was in the bullseye. That was all at the 50 yard range because of my aging eyesight. The .35 Remington with 200 grain Core Lokt bullets is accurate enough for my standards, and it doesn't feel like it kicks much more than a .30-30. It was mild enough that I kept shooting and had a lot of fun with it. The Range Officer over there at Alpine asked me what I was shooting. While letting the barrel cool off, he and I talked a bit. He said that he liked the leverguns, and that he didn't see the .35 Remington very often. I would bet that he doesn't see a .351 Winchester very often. I have never actually seen one in person.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Nice trio, Ben!
Briefly owned a Winchester Model 1907. Surprisingly fun gun to shoot. Hope you get a chance to let the air out of a white tail with yours!
You do need something in .35 Remington, though.

:P
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Hey, Piller!

My 336 likes those Remington 200 gr. cartridges as well.
The 150 gr. not so much. The latter are increasingly hard to find.
I think the 35 Remington is a very underrated round for deer
hunting, especially in the eastern US where ranges
are generally shorter.

-Stretch
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Stretch, here in Texas, most hunting is done from a blind and at 100 yards or less due to the sheer volume of hunters vs the available space to hunt. The .35 Remington is probably all the power that most hunters in my area need. Since my rifle kept 5 shots inside of 3 inches at 50 yards with open sights and the person on the trigger having just spent 6 hours looking at a computer screen, it is plenty accurate. If I can get to the range a little more often, I think the groups would shrink to more like what the rifle is capable of.
D. Brian Casady
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Old Ironsights wrote:
Well BlaineG was right I was born sometime after WWII and had never heard of that 351 Winchester, somehow my childhood education was grossly deficient...PLUS being a NY back-east guy I was taught that our Gangster hero's machine gun of choice was the Thompson (St. Valentine's day massacre)... :)
df431e531fcbfbf0b93696b72cd12d31.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

1892, I also was under the impression that the Thompson was the firearm of choice for most gangsters. Machine gun Kelly, Dillinger, and Bonnie and Clyde were all reputed to have used them. Bonnie and Clyde also used the BAR. A fully automatic .30-36 against the .38 caliber pistols and the occasional shotgun with buckshot, well, it is not any secret as to why Bonnie and Clyde were able to get away with robbing stores and shops for so long.

At the ranges common to most cities, the Thompson was quite effective from all reports.
D. Brian Casady
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

A very fine trio of 35 cal. rifles . I am partial to the 1895 in 35 Winchester. That is a rare caliber and a Fine one If I may add. A man could use that on anthing in North America and have enough gun.,,,DT
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

For most pig and deer ranges a .357 Magnum is very effective, at least in carbines. And I used a Ruger Bisley .357 7 1/2" for tree stand hunting when I lived in upstate NYS and in Vermont. Worked! Of course it is darned near as HEAVY as a carbine, just handier gettin' up and down.

Don't know why .35s aren't more popular, especially the .358 Win, a do-everything round if you handload. Kicks some in the lighter rifles with the heavier loads, but when you're aiming at an elk, a moose, or a bear, let alone a muley, you don't feel the recoil. At all. (Different if your game is the wiley black bullseye, but they don't really require much killin').

And I have nothing against the .35 Rem--have a 1950-s vintage 760 that is slick as snot and very accurate. Don't let anyone tell you a 760 won't shoot! Only thing wrong with it is....no lever.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I'm not quite sure yet what I'll be using. Probably my 356 model 94, but I have a savage 99 F in 300 that isn't blood stained yet and a left hand Zastava side lever in 6.5x55 that hasn't been carried much yet, but shoots real nice. Time and weather will tell I guess. Best of luck everyone.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Well it sounds like I made a good choice on the caliber this year. I am surprised by response to the 351 Win. It is equal to a 357 out of a model 92. Just using it for close range stuff. It is fun to shoot and accurate at that.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Old Ironsights wrote:

Also of note; the French bought a number of them to use in WW 1 aircraft - before they started installing machine guns. :shock:
Merle from PA
Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Treeman72 »

On the subject of 35s, has anyone seen 35 Remington factory cartridges for sale? New York seems to have none. From smalltime shops to major retailers, no 35 Remington can be found.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Treeman72 wrote:On the subject of 35s, has anyone seen 35 Remington factory cartridges for sale? New York seems to have none. From smalltime shops to major retailers, no 35 Remington can be found.

I'm having the same problem in western PA. I fear that once I zero the new scope I won't have enough ammo left from my one & only box for the season. :cry:
Merle from PA
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Just order some from someone like Grafs. Buffalo Bore makes a good load, and they ship, too.

Factory .35 Rem seems pretty common up here.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Geeze - all of the big boys - Graf's, Midway, Sportsman's Guide are
out of it. Shops up here in central Maine seem to have some, but that's
a bit of a road trip for ya. The General Store in East Machias, (pretty much
at the END of Route 1), had some on the counter last month.

I feel for ya.

-Stretch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Treeman72 wrote:On the subject of 35s, has anyone seen 35 Remington factory cartridges for sale? New York seems to have none. From smalltime shops to major retailers, no 35 Remington can be found.
I've been looking around for those also , same results as you found.
I did grab a box of 32 win specials when I saw them on the shelf of a LGS
Phil
Ragnor
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Ragnor »

It will fun to see how the old 35 Winchester performs. I think that is an awesome cartridge. Nice rifles!