Custom ccw holster for SAA

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Custom ccw holster for SAA

Post by Marlin32 »

Looking for custom holster makers. I want a paddle style holster, similar to like a Fobus type paddle holster (although no need necessarily for it to be plastic) to fit a SAA style revolver.

Mernickle makes a decent looking holster but attaches to a belt. I do not want holster to require a belt.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Re: Custom ccw holster for SAA

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Please don't take this as criticism, only as advice.

NO paddle holster is designed to be worn without a belt. This is one of the biggest misconceptions about holster. People assume the purpose for the paddle is so they can wear it without a belt. If you are wearing a holster on your waist, wear a belt, and not just any belt, but a good leather belt designed for carrying a holster. Believe me, there is a difference.

For some time we stopped offering paddle holsters because we don't believe in them. The reason we don't is because almost every customer who buys one does so with the intent to use it without a belt, or on their sweatpants, boxers, speedo, G-string, whatever.

Then they call to complain when their sweatpants fall down and they moon the world, or the holster draws out of their swim trunks.

We understand the advantage it could be to be able to slip a holster into your pajamas when something goes bump in the night and you are grabbing your rifle to go investigate. If you don't have a light on your rifle, a full moon might help . . .

We now offer a very good paddle design that will not draw out of the pants and can also be used as a belt holster if placed over a belt loop and the belt threaded through. I can see the draw for being able to remove the pistol without removing the belt, but almost all of our belt holsters are designed so the at the belt does not need to be removed to place the holster on the belt or remove it.

The truth is that most people want a paddle to wear without a belt. Don't. If you are going to carry, dress to it.

I wear different clothes when doing different activities, including safety gear. Carrying a pistol is no different. Dress for it and consider the belt a safety device.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I suggest to my patients who are nurses and wear scrubs, that they simply sew in a pocket for the little Ruger LCP's that most of them carry. The holster only adds unneeded weight and bulk.

But yes, I agree - most folks should wear PANTS - with a BELT - if they are going to carry a gun...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Wasn't asking for a lecture, was asking about custom holster makers. Should have stopped there, left out the why. Then people wouldn't feel the need to throw out unsolicited advice and lecture on wearing a belt or how to dress.

Carry my XD 40 with paddle all the time with and without belt. Hardly using it with swim trunks or sweat pants.

I have many carry options, I don't dress for the gun I am carrying, I select gun and carry option with the clothes/situation.

Hence the desire for a paddle style holster for a SAA type revolver. Another option I CHOOSE to have in my arsenal.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Check out the CH-73 TAOS Sheriff Model listed here. (At bottom of page)
http://www.westernleatherholster.com/we ... -holsters/

I won't even tell you to put on a belt or tell you there is no place for SAA as a concealed weapon. :lol:

I have a nice safariland paddle holster for my 1911 that I wear without a belt. Of course I wear Wrangler Jeans with it and not sweat pants!

Judging from all the FLAK your catching, I am beginning to think this forum must be full of gang bangers who are into sagging or a bunch of old men with no butts and a 44" waist. Makes me thankful I still have my butt.
Last edited by horsesoldier03 on Thu May 22, 2014 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

You can call my Uncle Jerry at 770-828-6841 or email papajp@comcast.net
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Marlin32, you asked a question, to which you must have already had all the answers, because you don't seem to like or appreciate the "real world" answers you have been given..

I hadn't realized how much bigger, stronger, faster, smarter, and vastly more experienced you are, compared to the rest of us, who may also carry single-actions for defense, or whatever other purpose..

In my own mere 59 years of regularly packing a SA, I have learned that the type does not lend itself readily to deep concealment, which is not a problem for me.. IWB carry becomes an exercise in discomfort, in short order.. As has been mentioned, "paddle" style holsters are meant to be worn with, and secured by a belt.. You can object, and want what you want, all you want, but it won't change the physics or geometry of the situation.. One reason you can't find what you think you're looking for is the fact that a reputable holstersmith knows better than to make such a contraption..

Sorry (?) if my rant seems like a "lecture", knowing how much you dislike being lectured to... What you may like or dislike is not my department..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well thanks Buck for the trip into reality. The only time I "packed" one I just stuck it in my belt under my belly where it rested comfortably and unnoticed. But, that was very short term.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Don't you just love it when a bloke asks for advise, and then proceeds to cock his leg on the person who is kind enough to give what was asked for :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I routinely give the same advice with regards to paddle holsters and just as routinely get the same response. As it is my job to help the customer and I am considerate of my boss in this matter I generally let it slide but have been known to point and tell them to have at it as so-and-so will check them out.

Buck is right, IWB with a SA is about as uncomfortable as the one can get and that was with a Mernickle. The Mernickle PS6SA is about the most comfortable CHP holster for the SA that I've used.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Thanks Horsesoldier, that is what I was looking for. Thanks to you to Joe for the lead on holster maker.
Buck you might want to read my original post before you spout of your infinite wisdom.

I asked about custom holster makers, not treatise on SAA carry, or what clothes to wear.
Just looking for some custom holster makers, asked on this site as I know some have had custom holsters made.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

M32.. FWIW, I Did read your OP.. Several times, before I replied..

My reply came as adirect result of some 50 years experience as a "custom holster maker.." Your requirements arre sketchy, and somewhat contrdictory.. The fact that you choose to eschew belts renders the rest of your details moot, for the most part.. Maybe you enjoy tugging at the waist of your duungarees at every opportunity.. i really wouldn't know.. Nor do I particularly care..

As for my "infinite wisdom", I yield the floor.. You apparently are everso much wiser than all of us, combined.. I suggest you open your own forum, where your word will prevail... You have refused all the advice and logic that has been offered, by several here, who Are experts in the field...

Good luck..! Don't let 'em catch you with your britches at half-mast...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Gosh I love this place. Kinda like workin at Cabelas.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Sorta reminds me of a local guy, a few years back, who brought a Marlin 39 into the gunshop where I was 'smithing, and pretty-much demanded that we "convert" it to .223 Remington for coyote hunting.. After all, he reasoned, "it shoots the same size bullets..." such logic might seem unassailable, from certain perspectives..

No amount of comparison or demonstration could dissuade him.. He figured we just didn't know how to do what he wanted.. Well, he Was right about that part... :-P

Dealing with the public can be a Circus.. Clowns included..
Regards

Buck