Modern .32 WCF revolvers...Anybody have one?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Modern .32 WCF revolvers...Anybody have one?

Post by vancelw »

I'm toying with the idea of buying a current or recent manufacture revolver in .32-20, maybe even a dual cylinder model (.32 H&R)

I know Cimarron imports a few Uberti versions. Does anyone else?

Anybody got one like this? How is the quality of construction, accuracy?

I have loads of brass and cast bullets, and my Browning 53 is just dying to have a dance partner (so I prefer a revolver to be able to shoot the same HV loads)

Opinions? :D :D :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Modern .32 WCF revolvers...Anybody have one?

Post by Mike Armstrong »

I've read on www.rugerforum.com that the New Model Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine shoots .32-20 just fine. The Old Three Screw model has to have a cylinder made for .32-20, or you can convert the .30 Carbine one, but apparently it won't shoot .30 well then. Worth a look.

My most "modern" .32-20 is an "Official Police" Colt made in late 1940. Seems modern to me; just the same age as my older brother.
msmith1228
Levergunner 2.0

Post by msmith1228 »

I have a Uberti and it's an nice gun.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I have the Cimmeron mod P. Have not shot it much but have no complaints with it. It is about ten years old.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I was eyeballing those Model P, Jr.s since they had two cylinders, but I think they are 3/4 size. Would that put them in the Bearcat size range? A SAA fits my hand just fine so not sure I need the smaller version.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The model P jr feels about like a Ruger single six . It's a nice size for a trail gun. My friend has a Ruger Vaquero with a 32-20 and 32 hr cylinder. It shoots great but is very heavy.
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

Ruger made a limited run of .32-20/.32 H&R Mag convertible Blackhawks back 25 years ago or so. They've become collectable, but can still be found with some effort and a little luck.
I like mine, but have to admit that it got one of the very first chamber reamers in existence for .327 Fed run into the .32 Mag cylinder and has mostly been shot with that ammo since, while the .32-20 cylinder languishes in the safe. I occasionally think about taking a woods walk with the little .32-20 Remington pump or Winchester '92 and strapping on the Ruger for ammo commonality. Guess I need to get off my rear and DO it sometime.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Molasses wrote:Ruger made a limited run of .32-20/.32 H&R Mag convertible Blackhawks back 25 years ago or so. They've become collectable, but can still be found with some effort and a little luck.
I like mine, but have to admit that it got one of the very first chamber reamers in existence for .327 Fed run into the .32 Mag cylinder and has mostly been shot with that ammo since, while the .32-20 cylinder languishes in the safe. I occasionally think about taking a woods walk with the little .32-20 Remington pump or Winchester '92 and strapping on the Ruger for ammo commonality. Guess I need to get off my rear and DO it sometime.
THAT was my next question. I'd love to have a Ruger .32-20/.327 Federal convertible. I was wondering if it was doable.
The only reason I want the .32-20 is I have so much ammo and components available. I wonder what it would cost me to get a Ruger SP101 in .327 and have a .32-20 cylinder made for it? Probably double.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I have two Colt SAAs in 32-20. One is a first generation and the other is a late third generation. They both are very accurate and fun to shoot. RR7
"That'll Be The Day"
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

@ mike armstrong:

Did I understand you correctly that you can simply fire 32-20 ammo in a 30 Carbine New Model Blackhawk?
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Well, it must be fate...( that's what I'm telling my wallet, anyway)

Yesterday morning, I met a friend in town and sold him my Cimarron 1851 Richards-Mason Conversion in .38 Spl.

Craig Johnson, the author of the Longmire books, was in Dallas last night for a book signing. I just happened to have a free day(and money in my pocket) so I headed that way, NOT in the most direct manner, thinking I would tour a few gun stores on the way.

I stopped by the small shop of a man who tends to sell SASS and NCOWS type firearms. He just happened to have an Cimarron Model P, Jr. in .32 WCF (with a .32 H&R Mag cylinder, too) and a 4 3/4" barrel. It came home with me.

I'll try to get some pictures up soon. It's pretty heavy for a smaller frame gun. Not sure I'd want an Uberti/Cimarron full size. I may have to weigh it and compare it to my Colt SAAs.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That should be a very interesting gun. I have an SP101 in 327 Fed. Which is a much nastier version of a similar concept. Also have a 4 5/8" Single Six in 32 Mag. I believe you are going to like that gun.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

A buddy had a 5 shot/32-20 Ruger SP-101 cylinder made up for his 32 H&R Mag. Shot well but if I recall correctly he had to be careful about OAL.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I have a Ruger Blackhawk 327 Fed , 8 shot . Hamilton Bowen makes a 8 shot 32-20 cylinder for it for $350. I am saving up for this cylinder next year. The 8 shot takes a lot of steel out and lightens up the gun and gives it good balance.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have one of Cimarron Uberti's in .32-20 and really like it. Makes a wonderful companion to my Remington Model 25! :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BenT wrote:I have a Ruger Blackhawk 327 Fed , 8 shot . Hamilton Bowen makes a 8 shot 32-20 cylinder for it for $350. I am saving up for this cylinder next year. The 8 shot takes a lot of steel out and lightens up the gun and gives it good balance.
If I understand the caliber correctly, if you own a .327 Federal Magnum, you can shoot .32 H&R Magnum, .32 Long, and .32 Short through it. Correct?
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
BenT wrote:I have a Ruger Blackhawk 327 Fed , 8 shot . Hamilton Bowen makes a 8 shot 32-20 cylinder for it for $350. I am saving up for this cylinder next year. The 8 shot takes a lot of steel out and lightens up the gun and gives it good balance.
If I understand the caliber correctly, if you own a .327 Federal Magnum, you can shoot .32 H&R Magnum, .32 Long, and .32 Short through it. Correct?
I believe that is true. When I got mine yesterday the dealer held a .327 cartridge up to the .32 H&R cylinder and it seemed to be short enough. I need to check dimensions and pressures....
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

vancelw wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:
I believe that is true. When I got mine yesterday the dealer held a .327 cartridge up to the .32 H&R cylinder and it seemed to be short enough. I need to check dimensions and pressures....
I don't think the .32 H&R Magnum will handle the .327 Federal Magnum, but I read it will work the other way around.

Anyone know firsthand?
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
vancelw wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:
I don't think the .32 H&R Magnum will handle the .327 Federal Magnum, but I read it will work the other way around.

Anyone know firsthand?
No, it won't. I'm thinking of boring out my .32 H&R cylinder to .327 Fed, then I can shoot them all
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Better check on that . Pressures for the 327 are 45,000 lbs, 32 H&R are 21,000 CUP. Is the cylinder bolt stop cut offset like the SP101 which btw has .080" between the cylinder walls?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

When shooting lead bullet 32 SW long in a 32 HR cylinder . Lead can build up in the cylinder to point where a 32 HR cartridge won't go in until the cylinder is cleared of the lead. Same is true with 32 HR in a 327 Fed cylinder. So there could be a little cleaning to be done when switching cartridges. Jacketed bullets no problem.

Full load 327 Fed are obnoxious to shoot. I load 115 gr bullets at about 1100 fps in the 327. I would not shoot full 327 loads in a Colt clone, it's a nice gun you don't want to dismantle it.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Bingo.