Opinion: 50 cal. Single Stage Press.... which one?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Opinion: 50 cal. Single Stage Press.... which one?

Post by Mainehunter »

A buddy of mine and his father are BIG into 50 cal. shooting but ran into a problem a while back when one of their reloading partners who shot 50 cal. as well passed away. They are not interested at all getting into reloading but are willing to pick up the dies and other things I needed to keep them going.

I told them I'll pick up the press since I have been in the market for one and also been wanting to get back into swaging bullets. I did at one point have a Corbin press but gave that up to my brother years ago, just didn't have the room for it. Even though it's temping to get another Corbin, Walnut Hill or others, I just don't think I need anything that massive and takes up a 1/3 of my work space.

I want to have something that is beefy but some what compact so I narrowed it down to the following:

CH4D Champion
Redding 700 Ultramag
RCBS Ammomaster II

For right now it would be in that order BUT I haven't ruled out Hornady or Lee. What's your thoughts?

Mainehunter :wink:
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Opinion: 50 cal. Single Stage Press.... which one?

Post by jhrosier »

I bought a RCBS Ammomaster when I had my .50 BMG rifle.
Lee didn't offer anything for loading the 50bmg at that time.

The RCBS Ammomaster worked well and, as I recall, didn't take up much more room than a Rockchucker.

When I sold the 50 & loading gear, I kept the press and it does occasional duty for heavy case forming and bullet sizing.

The RCBS is a bit pricey though. I recently bought a Lee Classic Cast turret press and was very impressed by the build quality. I wouldn't get a turret press for 50 BMG, but I would surely look at their single stage 50 bmg press which is constructed similarly to the classic cast turret press.

Jack
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Is 50 cal reloading or remanufacturing artillery!! For fun I looked up some load data!

750 grain bullets, 2800 fps, with 250 grains of powder with a burning rate of tar!!! I now officially know nothing about big boy reloading!
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

Used the RCBS ammomaster for the few .50 BMG reloads I've put together. No complaints.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Agree, the ammomaster works well, although I have heard many use the Lee 50 cal kit and it works well for them. Ammomaster would be better if you are sizing down brass fired in an M2, but if from a bolt gun, then I would go with the Lee. Hard to beat it for the price, coming with dies and such.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

I went with the Ammomaster to load rifle ammo progressively and also for the 50 if I ever wanted to.

I haven't done the 50 but use the snot out it for all my other rifles and love it. I have the conversion kit to make it a single stage if needed.

Cat