Moose Rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Moose Rifle

Post by daisygordoninc »

My friend and I will be moose hunting this fall in BC. He wants to know if his 270 is too light for that job of killing a
large moose, or perhaps a large bear. Has anyone hunted moose with a 270?

Gordon Johnson
BrentD

Re: Moose Rifle

Post by BrentD »

Could never work. Better get a .45-70. :roll:
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

In Scandanavia, they use 6.5x55mm.
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

I think it is plenty. It depends on shot placement/marksmanship. Practice in field conditions.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Since you threw in the "large bear" definitely not a .270! Year to year in Alaskan hunter surveys the # 1 consensus choice for a single (moose/bear) rifle is a .338 Win Mag. I would recommend the Winchester Model 70 "Classic" or a Ruger 77, both with full length extractors for your own safety ejecting and re-chambering. If you want to use a lever action, this is your best reason to have a Model 71 .348, which historically probably has taken more big bear in AK than any other caliber. The Winchester 71 still is very highly sought after in AK, unless you're a new "Chichaco" who doesn't know better yet. The best, most frequently used Alaskan rifles should aptly apply in BC hunting.

Are you going on a guided hunt? Horseback or bush plane? Where in BC?

Good luck! Please keep us posted on your hunting plans as they move forward, and later with the story and pics of your hunt! Anything you want to discuss further re: equipment, rifles, ammo, etc, PM me anytime.

EDIT: I didn't mention being able to skillfully shoot your hunting rifle and shot placement, which are vitally important considerations as others have said. I assumed that as a given for any rifle you hunt with and any shot taken.
Last edited by mod71alaska on Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

I didn't see the "large bear" part. Better step it up a bit, wider, heavier. Look at the pure copper bullets from Barnes. I have seen them work and they are amazing killers.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Missed that part also.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Do you have a guide or will you be hunting together? If you have a guide, his/her job is to fix any problems you may encounter. Your (or your friends) job is to make a good shot. If you are hunting together, you may assume the responsibility to cover your friend when he/she shoots if you have "enough gun". If the 270 is what will make that possible, then as long as the guide is okay with it, go ahead. Do not protest "back up" shots should they be necessary. There is a 160 grain bullet for the 270 that performs very well on the bigger stuff.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IMO, a premium controlled expansion bullet is indicted.

Nosler Partition, Swift A-Frame, Barnes X-bullet, Winchester Fail-Safe, etc.

For a non-handloader, IIRC, Remington issues their Safari ammo with the Swift A-Frame, PMC loads the Barnes X-bullet, and Winchester (of course) the Fail-Safe, for the .270 Winchester.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Heavy for caliber bullets are often great for hunting. I have used a .270 on deer with the 130 grain bullets and it was great. For anything larger, I would go with 150 grain premium bullets just for the extra penetration. My particular Remington 700 likes both weight bullets, but the 150 grain ones print almost 3 inches higher at 100 yards. I would not change anything if the shots would be farther than 100 yards. If you handload and can get the 160 grain bullets, then a couple of range sessions to see if your gun likes them would make for a lot of fun. By the way, if you are a little out of shape, learn from my mistake and force yourself to get in shape. On my last guided hunt, I almost lost a trophy due to being out of breath and nearly missing a shot.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

a 250 savage dropped this meat bull not far from the BC border one 100 gr bullet in the lungs, a lighter recoiling rifle that you use all the time is better for precise hitting than a mag that you use once every few years. get a good bullet that can stand up to punching deep and doesnt fall apart. take a gun you shoot well. danny
IMG.jpg
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

get a good bullet that can stand up to punching deep and doesnt fall apart
Danny got it right, the bullet is the make or break element. There are 270 loads that blow up bullets on contact, NOT A GOOD THING on moose and bears. They have big tough bones. Shot placement is crucial, and you want a tough bullet if you take a spine shot, an excellent cns shot, or want to immobilize. I WOULD NOT use a 27 cal expanding bullet of any description.

I know of two coastal brownies killed with 270s, but it's considered marginal in SE, and NOT A STOPPER.

It's the shooter and the bullet that counts.

I would take my redhawk and guide gun.

Grizz
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Not to BC, I don't think :?
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

While I haven't used it on bear, I did shoot a moose with my Winchester 71 back in 09. It worked great and easily holed him on both sides. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.
While I know people who have used .270 on moose, it probably would only be something I would choose if I was very sure of the conditions I would be using it in. The bear part of the question would definitely cause me to use something else.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

A 270 would be fine for moose, methinks. As others have said,
choose your bullet carefully, though.

I have no experience with the big bears (other than the wife in
the morning, of course! :shock: ), so I can't advise much there. Were it me,
I'd carry something substantially larger for them.

http://www.bushpilotbowman.com/bush.htm

Mr. Bickish is a fanatical bowhunter in Alaska, but brings
along a rifle for protection from the big bears. He considered
a .338 WinMag the minimum, and I believe replaced it with
something larger.

Great book, by the way. Recommended.

-Stretch
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

stretch wrote: Mr. Bickish isa fanatical bowhunter in Alaska, but brings
along a rifle for protection from the big bears. He considered
a .338 WinMag the minimum, and I believe replaced it with
something larger.

Stretch
I want to clarify that there is a difference between a firearm for "bear protection" in Alaska (and BC), a rifle a guide would use for a "back up" rifle behind a client, and a hunting rifle for moose and bear. I hunted with a .338 Win Mag throughout Alaska. For "bear protection" I carried a Remington 870 3 inch magnum 12 ga. shot gun with a full length magazine tube filled with 3" magnum slugs and OO buck under an 18" mag-na-ported barrel with rifle sights. This was easily carried, easily handled, and deadly for close-in bear protection.

I "backed up" a friend of mine with my .338 WinMag when he took the largest P&Y moose in the state that particular year. If he had been bowhunting brown or grizzly bear I probably would have preferred backing him up with my Winchester 71, or a .375 H&H Model 70 carbine, if I owned one. I might have used the .375 H&H to hunt bear with, too.

Let us know what your friend decides on!
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

.270 is fine for moose. As others mentioned, use the right bullets. I know number of people who have hunted bear with them, and they will work fine for that. Other calibers can give an edge, though, when it comes to bears.

I am not convinced of the need for a .300 or .338 magnum for bears or moose. A .30-06 will do just as well in most circumstances. The magnums have an edge at very long ranges.

For hunting bear, smaller calibers can work just fine. A friend of mine shot a bear with a 5.7mm. I know people who have hunted and killed polar bear with .22 rim fires and .223s. .270s have good SD and penetrate well. I would shoot a bear wit ha .270, no problem.

However, if your friend is going to hunt a bear on a guided trip that is going to cost considerable money, he may want to consider carefully what he will use. A small caliber can limit the shots you can take. It would be a shame to spend all that money, find a big, beautiful bear, and have to watch it walk away because the only shot he could get might be marginal with a .270.

If he is thinking about bear protection, then it can be different. Of course, I would use whatever is in my hands, but something fast to handle ideal for shorter ranges, and pumping out big, slow chunks of lead makes me feel more comfortable.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Wouldn't be my choice. Hunted two years ago with a guy who shot moose with 270, I helped track that animal for three miles. High lung shot. Remember, that is one big critter, first shot is kill shot, after that, the next shots are for how difficult your packing out is going to be.

They are big critters with a lot of blood, they do not bleed out quickly like deer and then fall over.
I would go with bigger caliber, but that is me.

As others have stated, use big tough bullet, hope you get good shot. I plan on always having the poor angle, the one shot you wouldn't want, and go with that in mind.

I just think there are much better choices out there. Many guides I communicated with didn't want anything under 30 cal.

Talk with your guide.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Jack O'Conner killed several moose and grizzly with a 270 shooting 130 and 150 grain bullets.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I think a .270Win would work for moose...but I would call the NSA and have an un-documented drone circling your position as a precaution to a unexpected bear attack...only kidding about the drone, well kind-of... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Centennial wrote:I think it is plenty. It depends on shot placement/marksmanship. Practice in field conditions.
Bullet construction, too.

The 'large bear' thing does have me thinking 'large meplat', heavy bullet, slow velocity, vs. what I'd think of concerning moose (even though I know a big moose can attack and stomp and kill you). It's just that with a moose, you usually can make sure the engagement distance is fairly far, vs. a bear is more apt to just suddenly 'be there'.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

6pt-sika wrote:Jack O'Conner killed several moose and grizzly with a 270 shooting 130 and 150 grain bullets.
I knew a girl once ....,

whose sister killed a bear with a 22 that invited itself into her tent. wait one, the bear self-invited, not the 22... :lol: :lol:

this does not make it the firearm of choice for the job, it just makes her fortunate to be alive.

there are all kind of stunts and things gotten away with.

the fact that the people use 22 variants to kill bears does not make it the ideal tool of choice for a visitor that doesn't spend all day every day in that environment.

the fact that we are well prepared with a 270 does not suggest that everyone is. and it really doesn't leave much of a fudge factor if the fight turns on the shooter.

Grizz
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

I shot a very large (guestimate 400 pounds) black bear once and he did not know that I shot him, so I levered in another and took careful aim and shot him again. He still did not know that he'd been shot.
All I had was a 1873 Winchester short rifle relined and chambered to 45 Colt, 7 1/2 grains of Uinque pushing a 225 grain lead SWC. Both times shot in the Heart lung area at about 50'. I got real worried now because I thought did not have enough gun, the bear was moving now and he was not happy. I levered in another round. He was coming down and my view was blocked. I thought I need to shoot again but where? All I could see was right rear hip joint area so I shot that figuring to slow him down so he couldn't catch me.. All of a sudden he tipped over and fell dead. The first 2 bullets had taken effect.

You can kill them with anything but how long will it take. Maybe I should of just shot him in the head?
A 22LR would of done it in the brain pan right away.

He was a old bear and had taken to killing cattle and especially calves.
He was so heavy when I hoisted him up in the air with a lariat rope thrown over a tree branch his weight pulled the front feet of the horse pulling him got lifted off the ground 3 times.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Grizz wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:Jack O'Conner killed several moose and grizzly with a 270 shooting 130 and 150 grain bullets.
I knew a girl once ....,

whose sister killed a bear with a 22 that invited itself into her tent. wait one, the bear self-invited, not the 22... :lol: :lol:

this does not make it the firearm of choice for the job, it just makes her fortunate to be alive.

the fact that we are well prepared with a 270 does not suggest that everyone is. and it really doesn't leave much of a fudge factor if the fight turns on the shooter.

Grizz

I think if I were after an Alaskan Moose I might be more inclined for more gun . But for a Shiras or Eastern Moose I wouldn't be adverse to tackling the job with the 270 .

Grizz I think would take about a 300 Win Mag :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

well yeah 6 :!:

after all it's a pumped up 30-30, and everyone knows the 30-30 is the dad-blamedest killinest meat maker ever made.

actually I routinely used a 338 win mag, just in case :lol:
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Moose & Bears? if I am spending lots of time and money I'm taking this, either the Guide Gun or the 24" Hawkeye. http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-375GG.htm
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Marlin32 wrote:Wouldn't be my choice. Hunted two years ago with a guy who shot moose with 270, I helped track that animal for three miles. High lung shot. Remember, that is one big critter, first shot is kill shot, after that, the next shots are for how difficult your packing out is going to be.

As others have stated, use big tough bullet, hope you get good shot. I plan on always having the poor angle, the one shot you wouldn't want, and go with that in mind.

Talk with your guide.
Likely would have seen the same results if he had put a .300 Win Mag in the same place. Moose can be tough in some ways but not so tough in others. I've seen them go down hard to a shot with a 9mm that likely would have angered a bear.

.270 penetrates well, and will do just fine on a moose. I have hunted them with a .243 and would not hesitate to shoot one with .223 with the right bullet and the right shot.

As you said, though, sometimes if you are using a lighter caliber, you may have to pass up that less than perfect shot. No big deal, unless you are really hungry, or unless you just spent big bucks on a guided hunt. I wouldn't worry too much about moose with the .270 - heavy, stout bullets will do the job easy.

When bear are considered, then a .270, for me, is going to limit the shots I'm willing to take. It's no big deal for me - I can always find another bear. For the guy on the hunt of a lifetime, it could be the disappointment of a lifetime.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Centennial wrote:I shot a very large (guestimate 400 pounds) black bear once and he did not know that I shot him, so I levered in another and took careful aim and shot him again. He still did not know that he'd been shot.
They can take a long time to die.

We were at a church camp and a big brown bear came walking right up the the fire that a number of us were sitting around, in broad daylight. We all grabbed our rifles and stood up, and the bear turned back into the bushes. Then he circled around again and someone came out of an outhouse and went up a tree when he saw the bear right there. We got the kids put up and were looking for the bear. Finally, just at dusk, he came right down a trail deliberately toward us. There were about 5 or 6 people there and he was going to walk right up on us. At about 25 meters out, he got hit with one shot from a heavy-loaded .458 and two heavy slugs from 12 ga. shotguns. All three were good shots. He switched ends and left without even saying goodbye. We tracked him the next morning for a couple miles until he hit a dirt road and we lost the trail in the dust and gravel that had been driven over. Later he was found way up on the side of the mountain. The shots were kill shots, but he went a long way.

I have a video taken by a guide of a black bear that was shot with a heavy caliber of some type, not sure which, right now. The first shot was poor and went in from behind the shoulder and blew the entire outside of the plaint of the shoulder off - a big chunk of flesh and skin - left a hole probably a foot and a half in diameter, but probably did not do any damage to any bone. The next shot was right through the chest. The bear took off across the creek and up the mountain. When they walked up to where it had been standing, it looked like someone had poured a bucket of blood on the ground. The blood trail was an unbroken ribbon of bright blood about 1 to 2 feet wide heading right up the mountain. In short order the trail turned to great splashes of blood every foot or so, then smaller splashes every few feet, then smaller splashes and drips and then they were carefully studying the ground to find drop here, a smear on a mossy log there, and then nothing. That bear bled out and yet still went somewhere past the end of his blood trail. They looked all day and never found the bear, which was likely in the brush somewhere pretty close to where the blood trail ended.
Centennial wrote: You can kill them with anything but how long will it take. Maybe I should of just shot him in the head?
A 22LR would of done it in the brain pan right away.
If you shoot him in the nose. The problem with head shots is that the brain is kind of a small target in those big heads, and you want something you can trust to go through the skull.
If you shoot him in the nose, the skull funnels the bullet to one of two places; the brain, or the base of the skull where the spine attaches. Either one is sufficient.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I tried to stay away from this thread. I am a foolish old geezer so please forgive a lifetime of silly prejudice and amateur gun knowledge. Big game and big bullets are the preferred choice in my opinion.

I think a 150 27 caliber grain bullet is too light for your stated task. I know it will do the job and consider your business if it is the gun chosen.

I would consider a 200 grain 30 cal as the low limit. Big moose and big bears need a deep penetrating hammer when conditions are less than ideal or if there is a chance of it becoming a fight. There is a reason that the 338 Mag comes so highly recommended in Alaska. My list of used calibers in moose are 303, 7MM Mag, 375 H&H, and my life long companion in Alberta bush, the 444 Marlin. The family favorite was the 215 grain 303 on the homestead north of Edmonton. My uncle sat fire towers in the Swan Hills from the war till retirement and was issued one as protection from the local grizzlies, a particularly wild and cranky bunch until the region got developed. I was under impressed by the high velocity magnum with a 175 Partition. The 375 was in a Ruger No.1 and a grizzly encounter had me seriously considering my intelligence and mental health at leaving the 444 at home that solo hunt.

My specific suggestion is a handy lever action in a large bore with a peep sight or a 2.5X Leupold or a 1-4X variable. I don't want a sight picture of blurry fur moving my way at fighting range. I truly consider the lever action in a big bore with a heavy stout bullet the perfect Canadian moose rifle in grizzly country. Hunting with one would be an ideal experience for a lifetime hunt you are having. I could picture a 30-06 or 308 with a 200 gr. Swift Aframe as a good start, a 358 even better in a Savage 99, BLR, Win 88 or 95. Or a Marlin or Winchester lever in 444, 45-70, 348 Winchester.

Please note no handguns up here allowed. Make absolutely sure you pack your ammo and prepare to hunt the finest country a man can imagine. If I was a little younger I would track you down and offer to help carry out that moose you lucky dogs!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Grizz wrote:well yeah 6 :!:

after all it's a pumped up 30-30, and everyone knows the 30-30 is the dad-blamedest killinest meat maker ever made.

30-30 worked fine for me, back in '88 took a large bull not more than a couple of hundred miles out side of Montreal. 'course back then the 30-30 was much more powerful. :wink:
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Old Time Hunter wrote:
Grizz wrote:well yeah 6 :!:

30-30 worked fine for me, back in '88 took a large bull not more than a couple of hundred miles out side of Montreal. 'course back then the 30-30 was much more powerful. :wink:
Everyone knows the 32 Special 94 Carbine is THE moose rifle. If a guy has a Marlin or a 30-30 its an acceptable alternative. :twisted: When I was a kid our neighbour used a 22 Savage Hi-Power for moose and a train load in the north were piled up with a 22LR!! I'm a sissy and used a 444.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

BigSky56 wrote:a 250 savage dropped this meat bull not far from the BC border one 100 gr bullet in the lungs, a lighter recoiling rifle that you use all the time is better for precise hitting than a mag that you use once every few years. get a good bullet that can stand up to punching deep and doesnt fall apart. take a gun you shoot well. danny
IMG.jpg
This.... 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

270 with a 150gr Nosler Partition and you will have yourself any Moose that walks.

Have fun, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Really, the only answer to this is that if you need a reason to buy a new gun, then you need something more than a .270.

If the .270 is what you want to use, use it. It would work perfectly and bears included. They aren't armor plated - no matter what the modern hunter says.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I've only been on one elk hunt in my life, with my Uncle, and he was attacked by a grizzly bear after downing a bull elk. I was about 200yds away when I heard him empty a Browning BAR in .338 Win. When he came tearing down the trail and told me there was a bear on his back trail that .30-06 in my hands felt awfully small and inadequate. Fortunately three rounds in the face at less than 30 feet had solved the problem and no expenditure of ammo was required....just a lot of explaining.

I've always considered elk/moose/caribou to be about the same sized/difficulty to kill animals, although I know some are larger and some have bad attitudes about being messed with/shot at. I've also considered a '95 Winchester or 760 Remington pump chambered in .35 Whelen to be the primo in-the-woods elk rifle. I think it would be good to go for moose too, and I wouldn't feel so terribly alone if I ran into a large bear with one in my hands.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.