The Desert Island knife.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

The Desert Island knife.

Post by gamekeeper »

The survival firearm was a fun thread, with lots of ideas on the most useful firearm to have after Armageddon. :shock:.
Now I have a similar question, if you found yourself marooned on an uninhabited island, what knife would you want to have with you ?
I remember Robert Mitchum in the movie "Thank Heaven, Mr Allison," when he was up against the Japs and only had a K-bar.
Maybe not a bad choice but being a bit of a knife collector myself, I find it difficult to choose just ONE knife that would be the ultimate survival knife.
Any suggestions :?:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Re: The Desert Island knife.

Post by rogn »

Only one! I guess you'd have to go with something substantial and sturdy. Id go with a machete , something along the order of a Kukri., or a 14 or15 inch heavy blade traditional machete. Better quality steel than is usually seen would be essential.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I might actually prefer a small axe or a tomahawk over a knife.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

A lochaber axe or halberd.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Probably a good machete....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

For a desert island I'd say probably a hatchet or small axe for felling trees, and all that.

Knife-wise a 6 or 7" blade, stoutly built with a solid buttcap for hammering.

http://www.graymanknives.com/gp.html

Something along the lines of this. I have a smaller Suenami for general purpose use.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've found my Blackhawk #7 to be useful... but, it doesnt take the place of other, larger edged tools when they're needed.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I am surprised by people talking about a machete or something large like that.

Only one knife needs to be something small enough to be useful for more than just one task. I would consider even a Kbar to be on the large side.

A fixed-blade knife with a shorter, more useful blade would be better, and best for long-term strength. A folder with a couple different blades would be even more useful, but maybe a bit less durable.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I am surprised by people talking about a machete or something large like that.
"Desert Island" :roll: Let me know know how chopping bamboo, and palm logs go with that Barlow.

(You can make a small knife from heat treated bamboo that would be perfectly good for cleaning fish, etc, etc...)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Well, there you go...

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

7.62 Precision wrote:I am surprised by people talking about a machete or something large like that.

Only one knife needs to be something small enough to be useful for more than just one task. I would consider even a Kbar to be on the large side.

A fixed-blade knife with a shorter, more useful blade would be better, and best for long-term strength. A folder with a couple different blades would be even more useful, but maybe a bit less durable.
yeah'but

can't make much of a fire with a pocket knife unless there's more dry squaw wood than you need.
can't make much of a spear with a pocket knife either... other than the sharp stick version.

I'd want something tough enough to split wood and long enough to reach the lion, bear, moose vitals.

from that perspective the ka-bar or bowie seems versatile, if we're talking about one and only one blade. perhaps a single edged lance or javelin. a dirk makes a good spear, but can't be batoned..

my uses, being on an island, would include fashioning a skin on frame boat, umiak or kayak or curraugh, so all those processes plus making rawhide and splitting sea lion skins for the cover..... a folder could go a long ways for some of this, but don't know how far I'd get.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

What desert island are you finding bears, lions and moose on?

:mrgreen:
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

One of deez:
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Consider the tasks needed to survive, and then consider what would work best for the majority.

Things like making fish hooks and lines, things we don't often consider. Think about what tools you can make so you can do tasks without usig the knife for them.

Ending up on an Island alone has been a real possibility for me for much of my life.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

7.62 Precision wrote:Consider the tasks needed to survive, and then consider what would work best for the majority.

Things like making fish hooks and lines, things we don't often consider. Think about what tools you can make so you can do tasks without usig the knife for them.

Ending up on an Island alone has been a real possibility for me for much of my life.
8)http://www.primitiveways.com/bamboo_knife.html

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I use a machete quite a lot for cutting brushwood, it's quieter than using my chainsaw but my 4" Mora knife gets a lot more use for general tasks. I have knives halfway between machete and hunting knife size that would be a good compromise but may not be good enough for everything that needs to be done. Ideally a large knife/machete/Axe and a small handy knife would make life easier, I guess that's what makes choosing a single edged cutting tool so difficult.
I know blades can be made from bamboo and flint but only if bamboo and flint can be found and there's no guarantee on finding either on every island.
I think if self defense is not an issue I'll stick with my old Marttiini four and a quarter inch blade or my Cold Steel survival edge which comes with a fire steel and can be made into a spear for fishing.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
OldBrownDog
Levergunner

Post by OldBrownDog »

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That's a dandy....I have the K-Bar version of that in my back seat pack....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

. Personally I really like my AK47 Bayonet with the sawback blade. Especially after Pitchy showed me a neat trick on how to sharpen it. tho would really rather have a KaBar. AND now that you got your knife, Who would you bring with:::: Ginger or MaryAnne? :P
Last edited by 3leggedturtle on Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I find my Mora knife to be probably my most useful/used knife, but in a "one knife only" scenario, I would probably prefer a Ka-bar heavy bowie or something similar. I really like the good carbon steel Cold Steel knives. I'm a bit of a knife junkie, and there are a lot of custom designs/makers out there that I would really like better than some of the commercial stuff available, but there is also a lot of nice commercial steel to choose from.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

spears and machetes seem to be the norm for lots of people groups who mostly walk every where.

there's a reason that some version of a machete exists in most cultures.

what is the concensus on the BEST length of machete? what's the sweet spot? I have one that's 21.5" amd one that's 18", and I am probably going to modify one to 16 inches. just seems like there's more blade than I need. the 21 inch one isn't particularly good at hedge trimming, but the 13.5" cutting edge of the cold steel boar spear excels at it. which, with the 31" short haft makes an excellent tactical house blade. and weed whackerer... :lol:

Grizz
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

BlaineG wrote:
That's a dandy....I have the K-Bar version of that in my back seat pack....

I have one of the ESEE's and it's a pretty good knife for heavy work, I have used it for what they call battoning, (might have misspelled that) anyway it's where you use a wooden club or baton to hammer on the back of the blade to split wood.

But then again I like a nice Bowie style knife about as well as anything. However, the Junglas would be better for digging if it came to that.
NRA Life Member, Patron
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Years ago I read a book about a small plane that crashed in the Kalahari dessert in Africa. About 4 or 5 men and a woman, one man had a Puma I think it was the White Hunter model. I finally got an old Puma bowie from my brother in law, blade like a razor reckon I would want it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have one very similar to the one Nemhed posted. Not the same maker. Mine has a hammer edge on the blackstrap, solid blade. (Can I sneak my Moro knife onto the island also? )
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I have one of these that I have used for camping for years. Its a seriously upgraded Kabar and is virtually indestructible. 8)

http://www.knifehog.com/t-review_kabar_ ... knife.aspx

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Depends on the area you're in.

In Nepal the Kukris tend to be mid-sized, except for ceremonial ones, and they were tools long before being weapons. In more jungle areas, the longer blades seem more common.

Pastor of mine many years ago grew up in French Guiana with a former tribe of headhunter/cannibal types and started hunting from age 9 in the Amazon with a bow, spear and machete, graduating to a single-shot 12ga (the only thing the gov't let them use to prevent rebellions). There wasn't much he couldn't do with a machete, and said the best ones came from England, they imported the blades and put handles on them. He liked around a 16" I think, where they were was a lot of heavy thick brush and the longer blades got in the way. Sort of like a golok or parang, though his didn't have the heavy front end.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Heaven knows Mr. Allison.

MOD 4

Slow is just slow.
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Bark River Bravo 2 or Bravo 1.5 - for the survivalist and knife collector. :) http://www.knivesshipfree.com/bravo-2/?sort=alphaasc, http://www.knivesshipfree.com/bravo-1-5 ... t=alphaasc
Spyderco Warrior - anything near salt water and the collector of exotic knives. :wink: http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/SPFB25 ... RN-Handles
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

cas, do you have a link to the mod 4? I have some 1085 and that's the first knife design I will make with the thicker steel..

Mr Murphy, thanks for the info, 16" seems about right to me. The big difference between the machete and knives like mod 4 and ka-bar is the machete is usually pretty thin. thin cuts really well, but can't be driven with a mallet as well.

Grizz
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

I'm thinking a Woodsman's Pal: I've got two, one old military issue and the other a couple of years old. I still need to modify the newer one closer to the configuration of the other, so at the moment, the old one'd get the nod. It's essentially a machete with a few mods to the blade to make it more multipurpose, including a brush hook, digging tip and a hammering surface.

A few months back, used a CRKT ShakaUlu knife/smatchet/whatever on a couple of deer, as well as chopping a handle for a drag rope for one of 'em. It shows promise, but I don't know that I'd commit to it for something like having it for the only tool on a desert island without having given it more of a trying out first.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Grizz wrote:cas, do you have a link to the mod 4?
I don't have anything specific. In fact I don't even remember where I got mine. But if you Google search "MOD 4 survival knife" all kinds of links, photos and videos will come up.
Slow is just slow.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That is a tough one, because as much as I love a good, large bowie, I wouldn't want to be digging out splinters with it, or anything else that requires a lot of precision. Desert = warm = probably thinking more on making tools rather than cutting wood to keep warm.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Thanks CAS, had to order me one of those MOD 4s. Should be here on Friday :)
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My question is - - - what about the 'Urban Ghetto' knife...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

rjohns94 wrote:Thanks CAS, had to order me one of those MOD 4s. Should be here on Friday :)
I was looking at MOD 4.....I got the impression that the Sheffield was the original MOD 4....All I could find was a MOD 4 "style" by a company I had never heard of before....Could you share the link to where you found yours, please?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I think they've been made by a couple companies, or at least gone through minor cosmetic changes over the years.

On mine I carefully sanded the grips to match the tang. I was told years ago that they're made with the large overlap, so in winter your hands wouldn't freeze to the metal. If this is true or not, who knows. Could have been the truth, could have been something someone made up, or the excuse that's been passed down. Don't know. Can't honestly say I've done all that much with mine, mostly use for "camp chores", mainly splitting deer hind quarters and lopping off heads. (deer's that is) :wink:

It IS a knife you could kill someone with. And I don't mean stabbing or cutting them, just whacking someone up side the head with it would do it. lol

Slow is just slow.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I like this blade design:

The loop on the side of the sheath is for a fire rod... which, oddly enough, fits nicely into the notch made for the purpose... ;)

Habilis Bushtool.

Explanation of the blade/grip features: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2B8FeExnqw

What I generally pack is:

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Blaine, I ordered a Sheffield on amazon. I went on to google, put in mod 4 knife and the the first amazon link took me straight to the Sheffield. I also go the brown wood handle. They have different choices.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0090U ... 96QD7MPWLO
Mike Johnson,

J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Anyone ever see one of these?

This one is not mine but I have one just like it I bought at a Army surplus store on S. Sixth Ave in Tucson in 1968.

Never knew what it was exactly till five minutes ago.

--------J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well, if it's a true "desert" island, it ain't gonna matter cuz you'll be dead from thirst in a few days.

Now, if were talking a "deserted" island, the geography and climate would have much to do with your choice. But if I were just to be dropped on any deserted island that happened to be handy, and had no prior information, I'd take

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Last edited by madman4570 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

So, tell us where you got it.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J35nut wrote:Anyone ever see one of these?
Yep. It's what we split our inside firewood with.

What is it, anyway (other than a nice heavy-bladed machete)...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The Woodsman's Pal was originally made for the military, for aircrews, etc getting dropped into places they didn't particularly plan on ending up. If you had to pick "one" tool, it wouldn't be a bad choice.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

MrMurphy wrote:The Woodsman's Pal was originally made for the military, for aircrews, etc getting dropped into places they didn't particularly plan on ending up. If you had to pick "one" tool, it wouldn't be a bad choice.
Yea, I first came across them in the service. I now carry one in each vehicle and have another around the house. They take one heck of a beating and I haven't worn one out yet.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

AJMD429 wrote:
J35nut wrote:Anyone ever see one of these?
Yep. It's what we split our inside firewood with.

What is it, anyway (other than a nice heavy-bladed machete)...?
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... sman-Knife

Now you know as much as I do about it. :)

-------J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

That has a nice Klingon feel to it... but I still like the Bushtool for practicality...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Ysabel Kid wrote:That is a tough one, because as much as I love a good, large bowie, I wouldn't want to be digging out splinters with it, or anything else that requires a lot of precision. Desert = warm = probably thinking more on making tools rather than cutting wood to keep warm.
I agree. Also, most places in the world will have some type of driftwood that can be utilized for fires and for building, but not all. The coast of Siberia and islands on that coast did not get much driftwood at all, due to the currents, while Alaskan Islands had an abundance, leading to centuries-long wars between Siberian and Alaskan natives over driftwood.

Also, we generally think warm when we consider the word desert, though some deserts are cold. The original term desert island, however, meant deserted, and was interchangeable with the term deserted island, so to be completely correct, a desert island could be in any climate, so when we say desert island today, many people think of tropical climates, but the original meaning of the term was uninhabited, so it could be anywhere. Needs could be much different on an island with a sandy shore and coconut palms from an island with rocky beaches, tide pools and spruce forests, or a grassy island with pebble beaches and seabirds nesting on cliffs.

I would say that a geographic location would be necessary to really say what knife you would want.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

rjohns94 wrote:Blaine, I ordered a Sheffield on amazon. I went on to google, put in mod 4 knife and the the first amazon link took me straight to the Sheffield. I also go the brown wood handle. They have different choices.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0090U ... 96QD7MPWLO
:shock: They certainly have gotten more expensive since I bought mine, but I guess everything has.
Slow is just slow.