My holy grail of leverguns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
peter richards
Levergunner 2.0

My holy grail of leverguns

Post by peter richards »

I Recently picked what would have to be the rarest levergun in my collection so far, one of only 20 made. The Naughton Fieldman, .22 lever action made in Warrandyte, Victoria, Australia in the 1960's. I bought it of one of the apprentices who helped make it, this one is a prototype made from their semi automatic model, actuated by a lever. I am writing an article on it & will post more information as it comes to hand.
Also just picked up a Mossberg Palomino, thanks 86er, which you do not see in Australia.
For the past 30 years, since I was 11 years old I have been trying to collect one of each model of levergun. Without counting a volcanic, or an original Henry, as I will have to pay off my farm before buying them, I am getting close. I just need Marlin models 1888 & 1891 sideloader, a Kessler Levermatic shotgun, a Whitney Scharf, a Whitney Burgess Morse, a Bullard, one that I didn't even know I needed till it came up here a few months back, a Colt Colteer.
I know there are some obscure models out there I may have missed, let me know what your rarest levergun is?
While I have a serpentine lever Whitney Kennedy & an Evans, I am not chasing the unusual ones like the Hunt Volition.
I am visiting you all again in 6 weeks, if anyone knows where I can find these missing pieces let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete
Levergunner Down Under
NRA Life Member
SSAA
SASS
WACA
Shooters & Fishers Party
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: My holy grail of leverguns

Post by AJMD429 »

What a cool collection...! I once thought about buying a Ruger of each model (back when I was a kid there were only a dozen), but now I'd just have a ton of semiauto pistols I would never use.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IMO, your new levergun reminds me of the Noble 275J

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

One of only twenty made! That's quite a find..... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

What a find! It must feel good to get a rare rifle like that into the fold.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Congrats Peter... Another one that had escaped my notice (and probably over 99% of world's population), before this post. I once vowed to collect a Winchester 94 with each of the special and standard features available for it. I've since amended that to just one for each decade the Mdl 1894/94 was produced. I have two left... to get.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AimTrue
Levergunner

Post by AimTrue »

This is why I joined...I happen to have one of these lovely little lever action rifles...was in the LGS last year when a retired farmer surrendered a 303 a sxs Shotgun and the little Naughton Lever Action...I asked how much they wanted for it seeing they got it for nothing...the guy said a figure...I offered him half that and I bought it then and there....I fiited a 4x Leupold Compact on it and it is a lovely bunny gun.... :D
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Congrats Peter.

BTW, will you be in my part of Texas?
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

AimTrue wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:30 am This is why I joined...I happen to have one of these lovely little lever action rifles...was in the LGS last year when a retired farmer surrendered a 303 a sxs Shotgun and the little Naughton Lever Action...I asked how much they wanted for it seeing they got it for nothing...the guy said a figure...I offered him half that and I bought it then and there....I fiited a 4x Leupold Compact on it and it is a lovely bunny gun.... :D
Pictures please!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Oh,
WELCOME!!!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

That is pretty cool.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sweet! :mrgreen:
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

I have the same goal... to have a representative example of all the major 22 lever guns, not all the variations just the major models .... I thought I had achieved it, but now I need a Naughton ! dang it !

here is the list of what I have. a couple are actually prototypes but I have them and they are functional

winchester 1873 22 long
marlin 1891 sideloader 22 lr x2
marlin 1892 22 LR
marlin 1897 22lr
marlin 39 22lr
marlin 39A 22lr
marlin 56 22lr
marlin 57 22lr
marlin 57M 22 mag
Mossberg 402 "palomino" 22 lr
remington 76 22lr [nylon stocked]
ithaca 49R 22 lr [ the repeater, american made, and poorly at that]
ithaca 72 22 lr [ german] [ was also sold by iver johnson as their wagonmaster ]
ithaca 72 22mag
winchester 250 22lr
winchester 255 22 mag
Noble 275 22 LR
marlin 1894M 22 mag
Browning BL 22 22 lr x2
winchester 94 22 lr
winchester 94 22 mag
ruger 96/22 LR
ruger 96/22 mag
Uberti 1873 SRC 22 mag
Uberti 1866 SRC 22 LR
Uberti 1866 SRC 22 mag
Uberti 1866 rifle 22 LR
Rossi/Taurus LA 62 22 LR x 2 [ blue and stainless ]
Colt Colteer 22 LR prototype ( the only one)
Henry Golden boy 22
uberti silverboy 22 lr
Chiappa 422
mossberg 464 22lr
Winchester custom 1890 22lr lever
winchester custom 62 SRC 22lr
Volcanic repro rifle 22 lr
Volcanic repro pistol 22lr

ad Rossi is coming out with one as well, called the Rio Bravo, and I have my order in..... but how on earth will I ever get a Naughton
cable
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

VERY glad to have a new member and "welcome to the fire!" we often say here. Its interesting how even a thread originally from 2014 can still bring in new members!

It is an interesting rifle, particularly with its one piece stock on a levergun. Nice straight horizontal upper profile on the buttstock although recoil would not really be a concern with this one.
-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

crs wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:43 am Congrats Peter.

BTW, will you be in my part of Texas?
:lol:

Don't you remember us all eating at your house?

6 years ago :)

Ain't life grand?
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Don't you remember us all eating at your house?

Yep, still have the pictures as evidence!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
primer
Levergunner

Post by primer »

peter richards wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:04 am I Recently picked what would have to be the rarest levergun in my collection so far, one of only 20 made. The Naughton Fieldman, .22 lever action made in Warrandyte, Victoria, Australia in the 1960's. I bought it of one of the apprentices who helped make it, this one is a prototype made from their semi automatic model, actuated by a lever. I am writing an article on it & will post more information as it comes to hand.
Also just picked up a Mossberg Palomino, thanks 86er, which you do not see in Australia.
For the past 30 years, since I was 11 years old I have been trying to collect one of each model of levergun. Without counting a volcanic, or an original Henry, as I will have to pay off my farm before buying them, I am getting close. I just need Marlin models 1888 & 1891 sideloader, a Kessler Levermatic shotgun, a Whitney Scharf, a Whitney Burgess Morse, a Bullard, one that I didn't even know I needed till it came up here a few months back, a Colt Colteer.
I know there are some obscure models out there I may have missed, let me know what your rarest levergun is?
While I have a serpentine lever Whitney Kennedy & an Evans, I am not chasing the unusual ones like the Hunt Volition.
I am visiting you all again in 6 weeks, if anyone knows where I can find these missing pieces let me know.
good day peter, im in tasmania and would like to chat to you re your fieldman lever please. can you pm me please or ring 0363301873
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

primer wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:37 pm
peter richards wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:04 am I Recently picked what would have to be the rarest levergun in my collection so far, one of only 20 made. The Naughton Fieldman, .22 lever action made in Warrandyte, Victoria, Australia in the 1960's. I bought it of one of the apprentices who helped make it, this one is a prototype made from their semi automatic model, actuated by a lever. I am writing an article on it & will post more information as it comes to hand.
good day peter, im in tasmania and would like to chat to you re your fieldman lever please. can you pm me please or ring 0363301873
i NEED one, to complete my 22 lever collection !!! HELLLLLPPPP !!!! :D
cable
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

It's great to have such a rare bird, until you need a new firing pin!
Johnny :D