Use enough gun !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Use enough gun !

Post by crs »

Target identified:

Target engaged:

Target neutralized:

Recent visit to Cavanaugh Flight Museum at Addison Airport, Addison, Texas.

http://www.cavanaughflightmuseum.com/
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Use enough gun !

Post by flatnose »

That's a rare aircraft.
The last airworthy He111 I saw was about 12 years ago at the confederate airforce base in mesa arizona. They were performing repairs. It was powered by rolls royce motors instead of the inverted Jumo's. It was destroyed in a crash shortly after.
Looks like that one has the rolls motors too.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Excuse me for being unknowledgeable on such matter. What kind is it? B-24? :oops:

To the people in the know, is the glass on the front bullet proof or did those guys just pray?

neat pics----------6
Model A Uzi’s
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

The kid appears to be in a B-24.
To the people in the know, is the glass on the front bullet proof or did those guys just pray?
I believe the latter in the He-111......

-Stretch
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Simple fun, a good time, and in a few years you'll surprised at how much he remembers of that visit! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Sixgun wrote:Excuse me for being unknowledgeable on such matter. What kind is it? B-24? :oops:

neat pics----------6
More likely a B25 Mitchell.

For the second part:
B26 Marauder nose gunner/bombardier have a smoke. :mrgreen:

I didn't know Cavanaugh had a 111. The ones with RR motors are ex-Spanish Air Force. Same for the 109s used in the 1969 movie The Battle of Britain.
Last edited by awp101 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

It is a B24 and it does fly; the Bombay has benches down opposite sides for tourists and fans of old military aircraft. For $5 we were given a tour and walk through by a very knowledgeable pilot. Like many old military aircraft, it has an interesting history as an airliner and corporate plane. Since the museum bought it, they are slowly modifying it back to its original configuration. We were told that is one of only two such aircraft still flying and that parts are hard to come by.

They have many old and interesting aircraft to see, including a B25. They even have a Polish jet trainer that looks to be a P80 Shooting Star variant.
Their annual airshow is a lot of fun and we went several times when we lived in Carrollton less than two miles away.

To the best of my knowledge, the German bomber Troupe was "shooting down" did not have bullet proof glass and must have made an attractive target for the allied fighters.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I'd think "bulletproof" is a relative concept.

If that's a .50BMG, nothing that flew from that era was "bulletproof."

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Fred,
With a harness to hold in the gunner, what fun it would be to shoot hogs from that B 24 !
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Ok, so the waist gunner is in a B24 but the target. Is it a Hinkel He 111, German bomber? 6 and I want to know.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

crs wrote:It is a B24 and it does fly
Well I'll be! I didn't know they had a 24 and that it was airworthy! The last I heard (more than a few years ago) there were only two left flying, Diamond Lil and All-American/The Dragon and His Tail (IIRC both names were used at various times).

Yes, that is a Heinkel He111 or more accurately a CASA 2.111 which was a Spanish built He111H-16 (IIRC), the only major difference being the engines.

BTW, here's a view out of the glass nose of a He111:
Last edited by awp101 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Yodar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yodar »

AWP101's picture is that of a B-26 Martin
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Yodar wrote:AWP101's picture is that of a B-26 Martin
Yeah, I probably should edit that to make clear I was showing a similar set up and the smoker taking a drag. :oops:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Bombing Poland:

German-built He 111s remained in service in Spain after the end of the Second World War, being supplemented by Spanish licence-built CASA 2.111s from 1950. The last two German-built aircraft remained in service until at least 1958.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

'Ya know, we really have it good. Imagine the thoughts running through those young kids minds, never knowing if they were going to make it back and knowing that it was a good chance they would not.

And we concern ourselves with stupid stuff like, "I can't find any primers for sale".---------6
Model A Uzi’s
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Had a neighbor/friend who was a waist gunner on a B-17 who was shot down over Germany and held prisoner for remainder of the war, he was 17 at the time. I asked him once how many missions he flew and his answer was "one and a half." He told me that late in the war the Germans started marching them south and as time went by the number of guards dwindled to where they were simply walking along the road so he and a buddy found a couple of Mausers and went hunting with them. Didn't find anything but had a hunting trip in Germany. They had visions of killing a Roe Buck.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

One of my Uncles was a B24J pilot in WWII. He really liked those airplanes. Charles, it looks as if you and your grandson had a good time.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Nothing on any of those bombers was particularly bulletproof.

Some of the fighters had an armored plate behind the pilot's seat, but that's about it. Bombers.. having crawled all over multiple B-17s, flown in one, all over several B-24s, a B-25, B-26, A-26, and around Franco's personal HE-111 (the last flying one) on the outside...

Pretty much they were aluminum, bombs, guns, and a lot of prayers all flying in formation.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Sixgun...
Imagine taking off in the early morning darkness, sometimes in the fog too, aboard a bomb and gasoline laden plane, to rendezvous in the darkness with hundreds of other such planes before you then fly several hours to your target in Nazi Germany where you know the enemy will greet you with their best fighter pilots & planes plus FLAK barrages after the fighters have hammered at you with their multi machineguns and 20mm cannon.... Then maybe fight your way back home (if you were lucky enough to not get shot down into the clutches of the really angry people you just bombed) then make a good landing (perhaps in a battle damaged aircraft) and get up again in the morning and do it all over again...
The B-17 crew my uncle flew 30 missions with in 1944 as a Navigator sitting the nose of the plane came back on two occasions as the only survivors in their squadron along with one other crew and plane...On another mission they survived, their port wing had a FLAK shell knock "a hole in it big enough for a man to wriggle through." History says these situations were not unique to his unit (96th BG ) but to the 8th Air Force it was business as usual.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I guess that's why the WW2 vets are called the "greatest generation". In reality, people are people no matter when they were born but it sure seems like those guys were a different breed. Many of today's punks were not a pimple on those guy's azz's.

My uncle, (my Dad's bro.) was a mortar man in Patten's army during the Battle of the Bulge. A wall fell on him and he was buried for two days until some other guys dug him out. They dug him out and he was somewhat OK and continued to fight. I learned of this from my cousin at Uncle Joe's funeral 6 months ago. Funny thing, all those years and he never talked of war. My Dad told me that Uncle Joe stopped deer hunting and shooting guns altogether after the war. Must have scarred those boys bad.--------6
Model A Uzi’s