Paper Patching

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Paper Patching

Post by pdawg.shooter »

Any paper patchers out there? Been doing it since the 70s but its hard to find anyone else out there. Far as Im concerned, its the only way to get jacketed performance from home made bullets. If you are out there, give me a shout. I would sure like to hear from you !
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Might find a few friends over here so you don't have to talk to yourself. :wink:

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/for ... y.php?f=38

I started in the 70s also. Got the 348 working great with paper patched.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

There's tons of em on the BPCR.net board, and the Shiloh board.
Been some pretty fair heated discussions about which is better pp or gg bullets as of late.
I have shot them, have some on the reload bench now, but for the same reason I took up Copenhagen or store bought smokes over bull durham, I don't do much with the paper patch. Just can't get the hang of getting the paper to stay put.
A good friend of mine sent me some bullets the other day some he'ld patched and some for me to patch with papers he sent.
Well I took one of them beauty's out of the carton and before I even got a good look at it it was unwound like a spiining top in my hand :oops: Took about 5 try's to get it back to some simblance of a lead tipped spitwad and put back in the tray. :lol:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Shiloh board has plenty of them!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Slow is just slow.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

No but I might need to for my M-96 in 8X56mmR.

Normally you need a .318 bullet and of course that is a bit hard to find so I thought I would use a .311 or .312 and patch it with some of that teflon tape used for gas fittings.

In your experience does that sound like something that should work?

Wm
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Veral Smith talks about paper patching. he says he has driven a .30-06 to 4000 FPS with paper patched bullets. that's on the Graybeard's forum in the Veral section. He also says for the paper he has trouble wrapping them as well, so he used the peel off labels from the stationary store. It might not be authentic but it works.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

I would start with a bullet .001 to .0015 over bore (NOT grove)dia. Patch with 2 wraps of 16lb printer paper. I use green bar computer paper, Its free where I work. Lube with anything handy, I use White Label BAC. Run through a .319 push through die and load. If you want high tech jacketed any of the good .308s will work. Lay them down on you bench, and roll them under a new mill bastard file makes them easier to patch. After five years of trying I have finally found THE load for my Marlin 1895g. Does everything I want done and is still shootable. I started with new Remington brass, annealed the first ¾ inch using the melted lead method, belled with a Lee expander and primed with CCI 200. The powder charge is 52gr AA 2495. I started with 48 and worked up with no signs of pressure. This is a compressed load, even using a 16 inch drop tube. The magic bullet is cast in a Lyman 451114 mould. The alloy is 17 parts pure lead, 2 ½ parts linotype, and ½ part tin. The bullet drops from the mould .451, 430gr and is ready for patching. I make my patches from 16lb green bar computer paper, cut 2.750 long on a 60* angle 1.500 high. I dip in water and wrap twice around the bullet. They are left to dry overnight, then lubed with BAC. Then the tails are clipped and the bullet is run through a .459 Lee sizing die. I seat them to an OCL of 2.580. These shoot clover leaf groups at 25 yards and into 1.75 at 100. This is with a Lyman 66 rear sight and factory front sight. Not bad for 55 year old eyes. Bullet performance on game is all one could ask for. I’ll not quit experimenting, but how does one improve on perfection? If you have any questions e-mail me and I will try my best to answer them.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

So AFTER you patch the bullet you run it through the sizer?

I would have thought that would mess up the paper. Doest that step serve to some how compress the paper onto the bullet?

Please forgive the stupid questions, I've never shot paper patch at all.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Try paper masking tape and/or medical fabric tape before you invest in the cost of a reem of fine rag content paper and the time and effort of cutting, dampening, wrapping, drying, and trimming the tail of traditional patches. Fatten with tape to groove diameter or slightly over as long as bullet seating and or chambering is not hindered. Tape patched bullets seem to be less sesitive to the direction of wrap preferences that some guns reqiuire. Experiment with both wrap directions to be sure. Teflon tape seems to work better as a lube and insulator on a full diameter bullet than as a patch on a land diameter bullet.

Bargain priced .45 hardball bullets patched up to .460" with masking tape work well in some 45-70 reduced loads. Driven to 2000fps or faster with near max loads meant for 300gr. bullets, they rivet to near mushroom shape and penetrate deeply in soil and wood (the deer do not cooperate in my bullet testing tests) Cast .45 pistol bullets in the softer alloys work well with tape patching and saves the trouble of sizing and lubeing.
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

If my bullet drops from the mould over bore dia + 001 I size it down in a push through sizer. After patching and lubing I size to groove dia.+ .001, mainly to remove extra lube and work it down into the grease grooves. If the patched bullet will fit the throat this step isnt necessary as seating the bullet in the case will remove the extra lube. Paper patching opens a whole new world in performance of cast bullets. Such as a 152gn Lovern style at over 3600 in a 300 RUM.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I've thought about doing some paper patching..But don't you need a crimp for the tube magazine on your 45-70?
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

pdawg
How long is the PP portion of the bullet?
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have shot a bunch of PP bullets in my .40-65 over black powder.
I even made my own mold!! :D
Have fun!! :wink:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Having shot my .40-90SBN since 1987, I just bought some boolits and paper. Wrapped my first boolit, but it wouldn't chamber. I have a really tight chamber and didn't get all the "bell" outta the mouth without crimping the case into the boolit.

Some more work to do, but... have to get back to work, to earn the money to continue. Waiting to make my metal template till I get the exact dimensions down.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Griff;

The bullet can not be over groove diameter, can be .001 or less depending.

Also some shooter throat there barrel chambers and breech seat the bullet.

Each piece is different, it is best to chamber cast for a true measurment. Then order a custom mold just for your rifle.

When you start patching, you must have the Patience of a Saint. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

"How big" depends on a few things, smokeless of BP for one thing.
Slow is just slow.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Some experimentation later, I got my PP boolits to chamber, my boolits are .399 in both 330gr and 350gr weights. The chamber on my rifle is cut as a "combo" chamber, so I'll have to have a short patch. I've found some 100% cotton vellum 16lb paper. It is about .002" thick. It provides a nice tight fit in an expanded case. And best of all, it'll chamber! :wink: As long as the patch only extends about 1/8" beyond the case mouth. As I understand, the original bullet weight in the round was a 330 grain PP. After I get some rounds downrange, I'll work on the 350s. :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
450 Fuller
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Paper Patching

Post by 450 Fuller »

Nothing likr re-opening an older nylon or linen thread.
I play with a Sharps and a Winchester 1885 HW SS-both in 45 2.1

Been looking for tapered bullets. Harder to patch, but allows full
cartridge length for BP loads. Works well for smokeless too.

Experiment & patience. Masking tape or 25% cotton OR-
the right weight of tracing paper or old dress pattern paper in the attic.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Paper Patching

Post by CowboyTutt »

I played around years ago with PPing for my 11mm Mauser 71/84 but using a smokeless load. Buffalo Arms had all the stuff you could need like bullets and stencils and paper to make it as easy as possible. They weren't very accurate with my small Blue Dot load. McPherson the gun writer and ballistician told me it was a difficult thing to do to get PP bullets to work well with smokeless powder and they seemed to just work easier with BP. Maybe they would do better with a fuller case of smokeless powder? I have not revisited the idea since. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel