Will the Winchester 30-30 ever make a comback?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Will the Winchester 30-30 ever make a comback?

Post by Charles »

That is the question I was asked today by a long time Canadian friend living and working in Central America (Missionary) since 1980. This was asked in response to the proposed gun restrictions here in the US.

I informed her (yes a lady) that most likely this was all talk, with no substance and the 30-30 levergun had never gone away, at least in Texas. I have three of them.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Will the Winchester 30-30 ever make a comback?

Post by 3leggedturtle »

HUH :o WHAT :shock: When did it go away :lol: Did I miss the month of March, Is it April FOOL'S Day already?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'm with you Charles. Playing with the 30-30 since 1967, I feel that its way more popular today than it ever was.

The gunwriters of the sixties and seventies used to downgrade the 30-30, but those in the know knew better. Cowboy Action and the internet made it popular amongst the unknowing.

Don't know exactly how many are here, maybe 6, all pre-war.-----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I think she must have meant "will the 30 Remington ever make a comeback?". Now that would be a more legitimate question.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Yeah, sorry...

All I thought was: "When did it go away?"

:o

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Around here, you can find 30-06, and .270 and others, but 30wcf has been unobtainable for more than a month...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I own 2 30/30s and been reloading 30/30 for close to 30 years

http://www.chuckhawks.com/best_selling_ ... ridges.htm

The 10 Best Selling Centerfire Rifle Cartridges

Compiled by Chuck Hawks

The following list was compiled from various online and print sources, including the major ammo manufacturers' sales lists and the sales of RCBS reloading dies. The various sources tend to parallel each other, with certain exceptions.

The .30-30, which is #1 on some factory loaded cartridge sales lists, slipped to #4 on this "averaged" list because it is less popular with reloaders than the most popular rimless cases (although still in the top 10). The .222 Remington, .30 Carbine and .303 British rank in the top 10 on certain individual lists, but not the others.

Anyway, here are the averaged results based on the data that I could find. Consider it approximate.

.30-06 Springfield
.223 Remington
.270 Winchester
.30-30 (first on some lists)
.308 Winchester
.243 Winchester
7mm Remington Magnum
.300 Winchester Magnum (.303 British on some lists, .30 Carbine on one list)
.22-250 Remington (.222 Remington on one list)
.338 Winchester Magnum
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Gone? Nope, I just checked the safe... safe and sound... all of mine! Phew! Thought I'd have to file a claim with the insurance! That would be daunting! Dig up all the records, photos and fillin' out that paperwork! :P :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Come on brothers, being a little nit picky aren't we? Of coarse the .30-30 has never gone away but it's a dang long way from top of the heap in most rifle and hunting circuits. You don't have to be completely down and out for a comeback.

So to answer the OP's friend's question........ As much as I and most folk here like the cartridge there is no conceivable legislation or circumstances that will put the .30-30 at the top again.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

I suspect that newly manufactured rifles of modern steels could take higher pressures than older guns. The 7-30 Waters is loaded to SAAMI 50,000 psi. It might be possible to introduce a higher pressure 30-30 load by renaming it something a little different, perhaps 30-32 or some such for use only in modern guns. That would give about 10-15% energy increase. More than that and it would probably be counter productive as most 30-30 were relatively light guns without the best recoil absorbing stock design.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Never be in the front pew again but also will never go away. One of the all time greats.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

1894c

Post by 1894c »

it's my go to caliber...always will be... :)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, during 2011 RCBS sold more .30-30 dies than .204 Ruger, .25-06, .270WSM, .300RUM, & .338 Win Mag.

Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Treeman72 »

Just bought my first 30-30. It's a Mossberg 464, and after a rough start with it I hopes as accurate and durable as the rumors say. The mag tube, for whatever reason, jammed in cold weather. I have since cleaned the mag and tested it. Now time to dial in the sights and look for a scope mount system.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

BAGTIC wrote:I suspect that newly manufactured rifles of modern steels could take higher pressures than older guns. The 7-30 Waters is loaded to SAAMI 50,000 psi. It might be possible to introduce a higher pressure 30-30 load by renaming it something a little different, perhaps 30-32 or some such for use only in modern guns. That would give about 10-15% energy increase. More than that and it would probably be counter productive as most 30-30 were relatively light guns without the best recoil absorbing stock design.
They did that - the Mod 94 in .307 Winchester. It's too bad that 7-30 Waters never took off better than it did. I'd love to see that round necked down to 6.5mm and given a trendy name with some new fangled rubber pointed bullets to go with it. If they could get some respectable velocities, the trajectory with slippery 6.5mm bullets would be impressive.

Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The 30-30 is gone. Gone to the range. Gone hunting. Gone for a ride in the truck.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

....and gone to the top of a lot of foks' lists!

I can't see it ever going away.

Note the article in this month's American Rifleman
on loading for it using fancy modern bullets - in
case a 170 gr. Core-Lokt and a snootful of 3031 or
WW748 doesn't kill your deer dead enough.... :lol:

And as long as there are folks who watch Westerns,
there will be lever action rifles and the 30-30.

-Stretch
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Actually, that's probably truer than you know.

I suspect there's more than a few older fellas like myself, who've tired of getting slammed around when shooting, and have divested themselves of the loudenboomers in favor of a .30-30 - again, since (in my case) I started with one 50 years ago.

The deer don't seem to know the difference between the larger cartridges, and drop all the same when I pop them with my Model 94 Trapper.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Well it is gone from my hunting lineup sorry to say :(

It has been replaced with some "new" fangled stuff, to wit, 32 special in a win '94, a 45-70 in a Shiloh sharps, and a 375 H&H in a bolt gun. Don't think the 94 as a model will pass in our life time but I doubt it will regain its position as number 1 on the list of the general public. It is on my list in the 32 special and this week, as I travel north, it will be with me as my truck rifle and shooting go to rifle.

The EBRs will always get some raised eyebrows by joe public should anyone be brandishing one out and about. But a hunting rifle, like the 94, rarely draws a second thought or glance. Now all that could change should a "high capacity" lever gun be used for a massacre that the media can sink their teeth in and move them to the top of the ban list.

This is why I have focused on one model 94, and why I have been stock piling as much ammo to feed it as the budget allows. Fortunately, not much demand for the 32 special and where shelves are empty of the 30-30, the 32 special has been found. I don't think my 94 will ever go away so long as I draw breath.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

My first center fire rifle was an early 1900s Win 1894 SRC in 30 WCF. It's been a very very rare couple of months in the last 45 years that I didn't have at least one 94 in 30-30 around.

For "ME" it will never go away. I have dies, cases, a press, components (could use some more of those), and some spare parts.
I'm good on that front.

Bring on Bambi, Boo Boo, Yogi, et al.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

86er wrote:The 30-30 is gone. Gone to the range. Gone hunting. Gone for a ride in the truck.
Man! What an advertising jingle that coulda made! I LIKE IT!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Not only is the 30-30 gone but so is all the inexpensive ammo. :lol: :lol: :lol: .
alukban
Levergunner

Post by alukban »

I just started using/reloading for .30-30 in a Marlin so I guess it's making a "come back" :mrgreen:

I dunno if I am representative of other folks' rationales for looking at the .30-30 but my reasons are:
  • I already load/cast for widely popular .308 as my primary so going "laterally" to .30-30 wasn't a big deal - only needed brass.
  • The reloading component crunch is making me squeeze as much powder as possible out of a pound and as many bullets as possible from my lead alloy reserve. That meant the .30 cal and shooting subsonic to me.
    • The .30 cal seems to be the smallest one can go to conserve lead and still have good enough BC for range and killing power on larger game.
    • The .308 Winchester can do but for subsonic I wanted a rimmed case to prevent shoulder push back.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

This ain't directed any particular persons rationale, but to me it's sorta funny when I read about other folks reasons for liking the .30-30. I like it and the 12 ga for the same simple reason. While I was in the Navy, inside 6 mos. I won two raffles, for each I'd bought one $5 ticket, (and so became my excuse for only buying one $5 ticket whenever I enter any subsequent raffle)! The first was a 16ga Remington 870 which for an additional $6 I exchanged it for the 12, (even tho' the Navy Exchange had the 16ga gun on the shelf, they didn't carry any ammo); plus and maybe more importantly, neither did my ship!!! The second was a Mdl 64A Winchester. (And as a personal note, thanks again Victor for your assistance on replacing this cherished memory)!

I found that I enjoyed shooting both, immensely! I mean really, for a $16 investment I had two great guns! What could be better? So began my 40 year love for the .30-30 and 12 gauge!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Oly - if you were going to neck it to something I suspect the .270 would be the way to go with rubbery bullets. but, pretty perfect the way it is at .30. I seem to have more of them than anything else.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

As far as I'm concerned, the 30-30 will be close at hand until I depart this mortal coil.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Ok seriously, who DOESN'T want a 30-30? As many here know I'm a big EBR, flat shooting magnum and plastic pistol fan, but one day I'll find that beater Glenfield/336 30-30 for $200.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Ballistically, the .307 WCF. should have replaced the 30WCF. and made it obsolete. The .307 will hit like a .300 savage and chase a .308 out to 250 yards. A FTX bullet and Hornady's magic powders could have turned the .307 as a near equal to the .308. All in a model 94, how cool would that be :?: Not enough shooters think so, so the .307 is obsolete, :cry: while the 30WCF. seems as popular as ever, with more options than ever before. :D
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

The 300 Savage had its day,and really should have put the 30-30 to sleep
I dont know any one making a 300 lever any more, but can think of 5 co. cranking out
lever action 30-30s, Me I dont have a 300 any more, but still have some 30-30s

ollogger
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Removed
Last edited by cshold on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The 300 was supplanted by the 308 but nothing has supplanted the 30-30. It is in a niche that nothing else occupies.

Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Heck...had to check my safe. Yep, still there, in all it's glory. First gun I had ever purchased with my own ill gotten financial gains (paper route). Believe I was thirteen years old when I bought that Glenfield 30A from Treasure Island for $49.95.

Came with a Tasco scope(still have it mounted on a Marlin .22 semi auto), a leather sling, a gun case (canvas), and twenty rounds of 170 gr. Winchester ammo.

Bought the gun for a special youth deer hunt on a Nike site (remember those?). Deputy sheriff stopped and asked if I needed a lift to the site. Do not know if he was being courteous or if he felt that me walking down a road with a gun over my shoulder was inappropriate.

Still have it...that .30-30 has taken the first deer for myself and three of my kids. My oldest just asked if he could have it, wants to hunt with it and give it to my grandkid to hunt with...might not be able to if BO gets his wish....
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Removed
Last edited by cshold on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

86er wrote:The 30-30 is gone. Gone to the range. Gone hunting. Gone for a ride in the truck.
like that one :D
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

casastahle wrote:
Old Savage wrote:The 300 was supplanted by the 308 but nothing has supplanted the 30-30. It is in a niche that nothing else occupies.

I don't know about that OS,
I sure remember a lot of heavy, around the card table deer camp
discussions about the 35 Rem. vs the 30-30 & 32spl. back in the day. :wink:
In the old time deer camps in the south central pa. mountians, the argument was between the model 71 .348 WCF. and the Remington 760 30-06 pump for heavyweight champ for deer and blackbear. :wink:
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Removed
Last edited by cshold on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

.45colt wrote:Not only is the 30-30 gone but so is all the inexpensive ammo. :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Not so...I got 10 boxes of Federal 170s for 17 bucks a box this morning @ Cabela's 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

True Mike - back in the day but now I think the 30-30 has emerged as the clear winner as has the 308 except maybe with me and you types. Same might also be said of the 243 over the 250 - except for with me and you types.

Rifleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman »

The last shot I took with my 30-30, 3 days ago;

Clean/Cold Bore

My 30-30 is here to stay.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Yeah but you hit a 3.5 inch target at 400 with a 30-06, maybe not enuf said :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jDTc9SbjaE

Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Took a 1939 Winchester 94 carbine for a few walks this fall.. killed two antelope with it ... they didn't know they were antiqued to death... the Italian sausage tastes GREAT!!
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Removed
Last edited by cshold on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Yawn , I'd rather have a 32-40 or 32 Special .

Sold off all but one of my 30-30's a few years ago .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Yawn on those two - nothing to offer the 30-30 can't provide.

wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I have a couple of boxes of Western 30-30 Silvertip ammo(Original grease pencil prices are $3 and change),dies,brass, and flat point bullets in150 and 170 grain, but sadly I do not have a rifle. Gave the last 94 I had to one of my nephews for his first deer rifle(figuring I could always get another beater for a good price) and have not found one that had my name on it.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

wolfdog wrote:I have a couple of boxes of Western 30-30 Silvertip ammo(Original grease pencil prices are $3 and change),dies,brass, and flat point bullets in150 and 170 grain, but sadly I do not have a rifle. Gave the last 94 I had to one of my nephews for his first deer rifle(figuring I could always get another beater for a good price) and have not found one that had my name on it.

I have a couple of Blue and Yellow boxes of Super-X 150gr Silver Tips that I am saving for just the right rifle and hunt. Keep looking, that rifle with your name on it is out there waiting for you to find it!
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Sad to admit, I was one of those cartridge snobs. As a teenager I read all the gun magazines and was sure the 30 WCF was the dodo bird of cartridges. I started with a 6 mm Rem and never looked at anything slower. Then I got interested in IHMSA Silhoutte. I grew to love the .30-30 so much that when I stumbled on to a Remington 788 in that chambering I snapped it up. Then a bro-in-law wanted to sell his 94. Done. Now I need to find another .30-30 bolt gun as my youngest son claims the 788 is his since he's hunted with it since he was 12 (now 30). I shoot 100 gr. lead powderpuff loads for squirrel, heavy cast for deer, 110 gr. spirepoint maxed out for varmints, and lots in between. I never pass up .30 bullets on the sale table, I'll find something to use it for. It doesn't hurt to shoot, even in the Contender, and doesn't use massive doses of powder so it's economical. It will always have a place in my gun cabinet.

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Larkbill, Yer smarter than me, cuz I had a 788 in 30/30; but sold it in '94 to fund another project. I passed on a left handed 788 in 6mm. I thot $500 was just too much for it. 3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Whew, I was worried all the sudden. Worried that this brand spankin' new Winchester M94 1871-1971 NRA Commemorative, NIB, really WASN'T a turdy turdy :shock:

That would have meant I need to send back this really neat Williams Target receiver sight I ordered for it... and put away all this turdy turdy brass I was getting ready to load up.. :lol:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

If it is the one I am thinking about it is a Model 64 pattern 30-30 - had one of those and should have kept it I suppose.