New Win 94 Takedown 450 Marlin caliber

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

New Win 94 Takedown 450 Marlin caliber

Post by 86er »

Maybe there is a breath of life being put into the 450 Marlin. It seemed the Marlin Guide Gun, BLR and Winchester Timber Carbine were doing well in 2004. Slowly, the Timber Carbine was put to rest and the other two have slowed to a snails pace. Here Winchester has a Trails End Take-down rifle in 450 Marlin! The only feature I really don't like is the porting. I could do without the safety but I don't loathe it like the porting. This does make a nice option for a traveling rifle.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/ ... mid=534191
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New Win 94 Takedown 450 Marlin caliber

Post by BenT »

What amazed me is that it is the standard 94 receiver not the big bore , which one would expect with the higher pressure of the 450 Marlin.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

BenT wrote:What amazed me is that it is the standard 94 receiver not the big bore , which one would expect with the higher pressure of the 450 Marlin.

I may be wrong, however I think it's the stronger steels and better tolerances.

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I think they're on the right track, it looks good, and functional with the takedown. Hope they make the same basic model in other calibers, and maybe make the fore end a little longer, it looks awful short.

I'm not completely convinced the fatter receiver swells of the bog bores was really neccesary, I think it was more of a marketing thing, which largely backfired, as most thought them ugly. That isnt the weak point, the sides of the receiver between the locking bolt and barrel is. Look at the difference between the early flat side 95's and the later guns, they beefed up the sides where I mentioned. I think the steel grade and hardening is the more important issue, if anything was truly required. It may well have been, but I dont think where they did it was the place.
Last edited by Malamute on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

What amazes me is that we now accept second rate guns made in Japan as if we were starving and had been given a full meal.

Back in '05 or '04 when they announced the take downs I could have been interested. Then they were made in the U.S.A. Now, no interest at all.

JMHO

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Whats second rate about the Mirokus?

I agree that the rebound and tang safety arent needed, but that isnt a Miroku issue, just what they were told to build. The quality of all the Miroku guns I've seen are at least as good as anything I've seen made by Wincheter pre-64, it not much better than the late pre-64's.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

First, I stated at the end of my post: "JMHO".

Second, the abominable rebounding hammer and safety IS what makes it second rate.

Again: JMHO

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I completely agree with you regarding the rebound and tang safety, though the tang is less offensive than the cross bolt abomination they used for a while. At the very least, the tang safety is simple to cover with a tang sight or remove if one doesn't like them. Ganjiro made a nice filler from bone or horn with his name or initials in Japanese characters I believe.

I've owned a number of the Miroku/Browning/Winchester guns, the fit and finish has always been very good to excellent. Better overall than the 50's and early 60's 94's and 71 I've had. Jmho. :mrgreen:

rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Back in '05 or '04 when they announced the take downs I could have been interested. Then they were made in the U.S.A. Now, no interest at all.
I have three Winchester takedoiwns from y=this period.....Two 1892 (45LC / 38WCF) and an 1886 (45-70).....All three are made in Japan....

I'm not aware of model 94s in takedown, unless you meant 1904-1905

Did Winchester actually make 94 takedowns recently?
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Malamute wrote:I completely agree with you regarding the rebound and tang safety, though the tang is less offensive than the cross bolt abomination they used for a while. At the very least, the tang safety is simple to cover with a tang sight or remove if one doesn't like them. Ganjiro made a nice filler from bone or horn with his name or initials in Japanese characters I believe.

I've owned a number of the Miroku/Browning/Winchester guns, the fit and finish has always been very good to excellent. Better overall than the 50's and early 60's 94's and 71 I've had. Jmho. :mrgreen:
Malamute,
My dislike of the new 94s is not because they are made by Miroku in Japan. It's because of the action and safeties.

Here is my analogy; The Miroku Browning 1886 and B92s were FIRST Class guns. The Miroku Winchesters ~all models~ are second class guns due to the features mentioned above.

There is where I'm coming from. If Miroku made the 94s to JMBs original design, I could be tempted to get one.

But although I bought the one AE model in 86 I refuse to buy another. I'm too old to accept the lawyered up guns that I just cannot accept.

Joe
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

rbertalotto wrote:
I have three Winchester takedoiwns from y=this period.....Two 1892 (45LC / 38WCF) and an 1886 (45-70).....All three are made in Japan....

I'm not aware of model 94s in takedown, unless you meant 1904-1905

Did Winchester actually make 94 takedowns recently?
No, to my knowledge after Winchester announced the introduction of the take down models in 2004, they never produced any for sale. At least I've never seen nor heard of one.
They were the only ones that peeked my interest and I said that back then.

Joe
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

J Miller wrote:What amazes me is that we now accept second rate guns made in Japan as if we were starving and had been given a full meal.

JMHO

Joe

Joe how is that different from buying a Nissan or Toyota vehicle, especially with them being assembled here in the states? Not looking for a p******ng match, just curious cuz I hear reasoning like that a lot. If one is okay, how come the other isn't?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

J Miller wrote:

But although I bought the one AE model in 86 I refuse to buy another. I'm too old to accept the lawyered up guns that I just cannot accept.

Joe

I also feel like i'm too old to accept "second best" in a lot of things lately ---- life's too short , shoot (or drive,cast, ride, fly, wear....etc ) what makes you happy within your personal limits :P :P

(I really dig this new carbine myself though, but respect the opinions of those who don't)
----- Doug
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The TD was to be re-introduced with the 2006 models... and while I've heard a proto-type was made for the Shot-Show, I've never heard if it was produced as an actual working firearm. But alas, they were never produced. I seem to recall that it was similar to the WWG style, with a small latch at the rear of the fore-end. But, not were produced. They interested me. And this one, being an actual JMB traditional design, is really tempting. I don't care for the rebounding hammer, seen too many that produce light primer strikes. It doesn't take much... a misplaced thumb slows the hammer a tiny bit, a bit of crud gets in, any number of things. But, it's easy enough to revert to a half-cock and full strike, so that ought not be a issue.

I could probably get over tang safety. But it does seem a bit redundant... there's a perfectly good trigger block safety. Miroku makes beautiful guns. Ok, their finish on the 1886 seems a bit "plastic", but... what the heck, it's fit and finish are first rate. Would that American companies would pay attention that level of attention to the details. When I bought my '86 there wasn't another option for a new gun. Oh sure, I'm positive somewhere there's a NIB Winchester 1886 Rifle in someone's collection... but could I ever afford it? Nope. Not a chance.

But, to me, it's the AE thing. I understand its function... even the need for some folks. But, why not offer a traditional top eject?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

With a weight of 6lb 12oz it should get the attention of those on either end........ :shock: .
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

3leggedturtle wrote:
J Miller wrote:What amazes me is that we now accept second rate guns made in Japan as if we were starving and had been given a full meal.

JMHO

Joe

Joe how is that different from buying a Nissan or Toyota vehicle, especially with them being assembled here in the states? Not looking for a p******ng match, just curious cuz I hear reasoning like that a lot. If one is okay, how come the other isn't?
Toyotas, Nissans, Ford, Chevy, et al are all made with the same basic safety features. They are mandated by the feds. Don't matter what or where it was made.

I'm not brand loyal when it comes to trucks. I do drive a Nissan because the Ford I got rid of was giving me more trouble than it was worth. The Nissans are good serviceable vehicle. The one I have was sitting out in the open on the dealer lot when I had the money. Slam bam boom I got rid of the Drof and got a Nissan. Good trade too. I've had less trouble with this used Nissan in the 5 years I've owned it than I had with the Ford in the first and succeeding years.

But if it's a p******ng match you don't want then how about this ... I drive a 95 Nissan because in 96 they put air bags on them and I flat out refuse to own or drive anything with air bags. Even if it was made in the USA by Winchester. That should start something. :twisted: :twisted:

Joe
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Price scares me the most :o . Maybe if it was made like the pre-1920's SRC :wink: . I guess if i had the money, I'd get it. :mrgreen:
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Man, talk about getting side tracked! Sheesh...

YES Joe, it's GREAT that someone is looking to make another rifle in .450 Marlin. I keep waiting for Mossberg to live up to what they promised and introduce some new chamberings in the 464, but this Mod 94 news is very surprising to me. A .45 cal guide gun from Winchester? Stunning!
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

olyinaz wrote:Man, talk about getting side tracked! Sheesh...

YES Joe, it's GREAT that someone is looking to make another rifle in .450 Marlin. I keep waiting for Mossberg to live up to what they promised and introduce some new chamberings in the 464, but this Mod 94 news is very surprising to me. A .45 cal guide gun from Winchester? Stunning!
Oly,
I guess I've gotten jaded in my old age. I'm just not able to see the good part ( the new caliber ) over the bad part ( the crappy action ). Perhaps I should just quit commenting on these things. I'm sure there are a number of people here that would like that.

Joe
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I hope Miroku does a better job on it then they did on this 1873 pictured at the Winchester site. Awesome wood to metal fit! NOT... :?

Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

olyinaz wrote:YES Joe, it's GREAT that someone is looking to make another rifle in .450 Marlin. I keep waiting for Mossberg to live up to what they promised and introduce some new chamberings in the 464, but this Mod 94 news is very surprising to me. A .45 cal guide gun from Winchester? Stunning!
J Miller wrote:Perhaps I should just quit commenting on these things. I'm sure there are a number of people here that would like that.
Joe
Joe,
The good thing about public forums is that you get exposed to ideas other'n your own. The bad thing about public forums is that you get exposed to ideas other'n your own. It's all in how you perceive them. Actually writing out my aversion to the AE thing has made me realize just how childish it is. Doesn't mean I don't still feel that way, but why spoil other's fun because of my narrow-mindedness? I feel sad sometimes that many folks, who have only experienced an AE or even a post'64 mdl 94 Winchester don't really have a truly valid basis for making comparisons.

Oly, I'm sure they were quite sincere in their promises... but they can only be kept when looking at the bottom line. Without sales of the .30-30 version, where does the capital come from to expand the product line? Same with Winchester, I'd love to see them produce a .32-40 with a 26" barrel, but they have to justify that expansion somehow, I might even get over my churlish behavior and buy a mdl 94AE TD in .32-40, as I'm not likely to see a newly produced TE in my lifetime. If current sales don't do it, what does?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Griff wrote:[ Same with Winchester, I'd love to see them produce a .32-40 with a 26" barrel, but they have to justify that expansion somehow, I might even get over my churlish behavior and buy a mdl 94AE TD in .32-40, as I'm not likely to see a newly produced TE in my lifetime. If current sales don't do it, what does?

You could do them a favor and pick up one of the new model 94's in .38-55 ! :lol: :D Thats a pretty cool alternate caliber (of course it would still have all the rest of the late model stuff on it )

Just as a counterpoint though regarding pre-64 vs AE arguments
--- my dad always used model 94 30-30's in the deer woods -- and i have a pretty good feeling that his main rifle was a hand me down from his uncle and was considerably older than 1964 --- fast forward to 1997 , and i didnt really know any better myself -- for his birthday (or maybe it was Christmas, i forget) i bought him a new 30-30 - a Ranger with a birch stock and safety on the receiver (a model most board members here have a dim view of - :lol: as i said though, i didnt know any better at the time)

Dad got that rifle in his hand and immediately said "Man! ... this feels like home to me! " although he always had used a pre-64 , he never noticed the rebounding hammer, and actually looked at the addition of the extra safety as a positive, rather than a negative
For the next 10 years he used that humble little Ranger and delighted in besting me at impromptu offhand shooting at the range
-- Dad wasn't a "gun guy" - he just loved to hunt when he could , he didnt give a flip one way or the other about the AE debate -- Winchester is probably banking on the fact that alot of customers re probably jut like him
----- Doug
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Big reason why I quit reading Gun rags was the 100% positive review on each gun featured. I think most here appreciate a particular firearm being critiqued, both bad and good points. That's what makes this place special. Speak your mind JOE, that's what it is all about.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

olyinaz wrote:I hope Miroku does a better job on it then they did on this 1873 pictured at the Winchester site. Awesome wood to metal fit! NOT... :?

That looks like a computer generated image, not a photo. The Miroku's I have and have owned in the past heve had very good wood to metal fit.

Regarding angle ejects, I personally would like to have one as a starter gun for a project. I appreciate glass much more as time goes on, for a couple reasons, not just difference in eyesight as age progresses. Marlins just dont appeal to me like Winchesters do, so the abilty to simply put glass on a Winchester doesn't hurt my feelings any. This from someone that has primarily had pre-64's, and used to detest any of the newer 94's, but I have to say I've seen some very smooth later guns. I like pre-64's very much, pre wars even more, especially before ramp sights became common. I think too many folks put pre-64's on a pedestal though. I like them, but there isn't anything magic or even close to perfect about them, earlier guns are better yet. I've seen a number of odd quirks in post war pre-64's. So-so wood to metal fit, sights that aren't straight, barrels that are clocked a bit, etc. I like them, but am under no illusions about them being perfect. Its all relative.

OK, the new guns aren't like older guns in some aspects. I can live with that, as the older guns aren't like the olderer guns either (speaking of relative ages). A Winchester with a decent action, that I can easily out glass on and make into a rifle like I want is fine with me. This new model doesnt hurt my feelings either, I think they're making an effort, and I appreciate that. There's quite a ot to like about it, even if theres some things not to like. Some of the not to like stuff can be dealt with, or minimized in effect. Look at the overall picture, besides, there never were any 450 or similar large caliber 94's made back in the good old days. If its all academic, and the actual use of the gun/caliber isnt that critical, thats ok, but there are some that the caliber does make a difference. The 450, 444 or 356 are definately above the 30-30 or 32 special when out in grizzly country, and as a rifle I'd shoot elk or other largish critters with, at least to my way of thinking. I understand the 30-30 and others will kill them, but not as decisively as the larger calibers. I can adapt to the fact that older guns just can't do some of the same things some of the newer ones can. That a takedown is again available is pretty cool in my book also. I'd love to have a takedown.

If Joe doesnt like the new gun, thats fine. He can embrace his curmudgeonhood, he's earned it. I exhibit curmudgeonly behavior at times, and in different ways, just not so much regarding newer Winchesters any more.

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

tman wrote:Big reason why I quit reading Gun rags was the 100% positive review on each gun featured. I think most here appreciate a particular firearm being critiqued, both bad and good points. That's what makes this place special. Speak your mind JOE, that's what it is all about.
I agree. And for the record, the "Joe" I was referring to in my post was the original Joe who started this thread. But I will admit to being a bit surprised that the chambering - 450 Marlin - was the key point Joe Riekers raised in his original post yet the thread seemed to veer away from any discussion of THAT topic and instead off onto others. I mean really, a new Mod 94 in 450 Marlin? That's some pretty interesting news!
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Always looked at the 356&450 as having 348&45-70 power in a 94 :!: . Guess you gotta be a 94 nut to trully appreciate em.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

The 450 Marlin runs at the same pressure as the warmer Marlin 45/70 loads...44K CUP? So, not really a high pressure cartridge(like the 52K CUP max of he 356 and 307 Wins). But yeah the pregnant sidewalls of the old big bores may have been more cosmetic than something that really strengthened the reciever. It's good to see the 94 still being made, but would be better still to see their manufacture come back to these shores and the price come down. For about 300 more dollars one could order a Big Horn Armory or a C. Sharps....which are semi/custom rifles.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Even though it's the new version it might be interesting to have a WINCHESTER rifle chambered for a MARLIN cartridge. :lol:

Things have come a long way. 100 years ago Winchester and Marlin wouldn't be caught dead putting the others name on their guns.

Oh, but wait, Winchester and Marlin don't exist now but in name only. :(

Joe
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

They tried it in non takedown form back in the early 2000's......seemed exactly like the press coverage of the 356Win. With factory ammo it showed poor groups and I imagine it was quite a thumper in a 6 pound rifle which probably didn't help things accuracy wise. With proper bullets/loads and shooting position it would be quite a rig.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

I have an 1886 (Japan) Winchester Take Down......It had the rebound hammer and the tang safety.

I installed a Lee Shaver tang sight after removing the tang safety. No damage to the gun if I want to put it back together for some reason. The rebound hammer is cured in ten minutes with a Dremel tool and if you want to make it exactly like a Browning or an original 1886, the parts are available (Browning)

I also have a new Model 94 "Sporter" in 38-55 that I removed the tang safety and installed a tang sight and did away with the rebounding hammer.

Simply cut off the red area on the hammer spring thingy.

I have two 1892 Winchester (Japan) Take Downs that I left the tang safety but removed the rebound hammer as above.

The fit, finish, wood and accuracy of these japan Winchesters is beyond reproach! They are extremely well made and well shooting firearms. Wish it wasn't so because the Japan thing bugs me. Not that I don't like Japan goods, but because Japan severely limits access to firearms for their own citizens, but build firearms for other countries.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

olyinaz wrote:I hope Miroku does a better job on it then they did on this 1873 pictured at the Winchester site. Awesome wood to metal fit! NOT... :?

Planned for wear.... :wink:

Had a .450 Marlin '94 Timber Carbine on order when they closed the doors. Winchester had said they would honor all existing orders...never happened. Ordered in September and received a M95 Marlin chambered for the .450, along with my cash back almost a year later, FROM WINCHESTER!

Ended up buying three .444 Timber Carbine's, still NIB for $600 each (had to buy all three from dealer). Sold one for $1500 on GunBroker at the height of the Winchester stampede a year later. .444's turned out to be my go to hunting rifle...go figure. The Marlin M95 has been fired a whopp'n three times since it came out the box.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I'm more partial to the BLR 81 take-down in 450 Marlin preferably in stainless steel, strong modern design gun for a powerful modern cartridge.
I also prefer the design of the hammer safety on the BLR 81 over the tang safety of the Winchester.
They retail for $1029.99 from this dealer which is several hundred less than the MSRP of the Winchester:
http://www.advantagetradingpost.com/pro ... 159-0.html
ImageImage
Last edited by Ji in Hawaii on Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

rbertalotto wrote:I have an 1886 (Japan) Winchester Take Down......It had the rebound hammer and the tang safety.

I installed a Lee Shaver tang sight after removing the tang safety. No damage to the gun if I want to put it back together for some reason. The rebound hammer is cured in ten minutes with a Dremel tool and if you want to make it exactly like a Browning or an original 1886, the parts are available (Browning)

I also have a new Model 94 "Sporter" in 38-55 that I removed the tang safety and installed a tang sight and did away with the rebounding hammer.

Simply cut off the red area on the hammer spring thingy.

I have two 1892 Winchester (Japan) Take Downs that I left the tang safety but removed the rebound hammer as above.

The fit, finish, wood and accuracy of these japan Winchesters is beyond reproach! They are extremely well made and well shooting firearms. Wish it wasn't so because the Japan thing bugs me. Not that I don't like Japan goods, but because Japan severely limits access to firearms for their own citizens, but build firearms for other countries.
Does the tang sight cover tang safety hole completely?

With the rebound mechanism removed, when in the field do you hunt with the hammer down on a loaded chamber?

I believe someone here (Tycer?) cut a notch into the existing hammer (file, Dremel?) to create a halfcock.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Old Time Hunter wrote: Had a .450 Marlin '94 Timber Carbine on order when they closed the doors. Winchester had said they would honor all existing orders...never happened. Ordered in September and received a M95 Marlin chambered for the .450, along with my cash back almost a year later, FROM WINCHESTER!
Are you saying that for your troubles Winchester bought you a new model 95 Marlin in 450 Marlin and also gave you a full refund? :o
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Does the tang sight cover tang safety hole completely?

I believe someone here (Tycer?) cut a notch into the existing hammer (file, Dremel?) to create a halfcock.
Yes. It covers the whole tang safety hole.

1894 Sporter with Lee Shaver custom base:

The front screw is actually a bolt and a nut that fits into the front safety slot:

The 1886 wears a Marbles sight that also covers the safety slot:

With the rebound mechanism removed, when in the field do you hunt with the hammer down on a loaded chamber?
I don't hunt with these rifles. Strictly bench rifles. But if I hunted I'd cut a slot for the half-cock or in the case of the 1886, replace the hammer with the Browning version which has the half-cock.

Both rifles have a half cock location on the hammer, but if you pull the trigger quite hard, the hammer will fall from this position. Using cases with primers only I tested to see if the rifle would fire with such a short hammer drop. The 1886 will fire 50% of the time and the 1894 will fire 25% of the time. This precludes the thought that this is a "half cock safety". Do not keep a loaded round in the chamber to walk around, hunt, etc.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Thank you very much Roy for the detailed reply, I like the tang sight totally hiding that ugly hole, looks great. I used antler to fill the hole on my 94AE but it was a trapper so not really a candidate for a tang sight. :wink:
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

I've also seen the tang hole TIG welded up and reblued where you can't see it any longer.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:
Old Time Hunter wrote: Had a .450 Marlin '94 Timber Carbine on order when they closed the doors. Winchester had said they would honor all existing orders...never happened. Ordered in September and received a M95 Marlin chambered for the .450, along with my cash back almost a year later, FROM WINCHESTER!
Are you saying that for your troubles Winchester bought you a new model 95 Marlin in 450 Marlin and also gave you a full refund? :o
Yep...took a little haggling, but, yep that is the gist of it.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Old Time Hunter wrote:
Friends Call Me Ji wrote: Are you saying that for your troubles Winchester bought you a new model 95 Marlin in 450 Marlin and also gave you a full refund? :o
Yep...took a little haggling, but, yep that is the gist of it.
WOW that's awesome service! :mrgreen: with envy. :wink:
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

JMHO

Joe
I had a takedown on order when they closed. I am happy to see them back. I would like the paker tackdown in 30-30. Unlike you, I think the Japanese Manufacturing makes it better not worse!