Scope for a Savage 99?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Scope for a Savage 99?

Post by Henry McCann »

I just picked up a 50's EG that had been drilled and tapped for a scope. It came with Weaver bases. What scope would you recommend? Rings?

I'm thinking of a fixed 4 power or a low range variable. One that fits the rifle and doesn't affect handling. A scope that doesn't look like I have a sewer pipe attached to the top. :shock:

Thanks for your time, Brett
"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet; but have a plan on how to kill them." General Mattis
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Scope for a Savage 99?

Post by Mescalero »

Weaver Micro-Trac 3x fixed scope.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I would go with that or the 4x. Or older Leupold if you can find one. Here is a Weaver and a Leupold. Bueller mounts on the bottom.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

1st choice: Lyman Alaskan 2x

2nd choice: Leupold M8-2X or M8-3X

3rd choice: Weaver Classic V3 1-3x variable

BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Brett, I use my 300 for distance shooting on predators in addition to elk hunting and as I hunt dark timber for elk where the big bears roam I wanted a low power variable. I use to use a weaver 1-3x20 but it was lacking for distance shots but this last year I went to a brunton 1.5-5x20 eterna couldnt be happier it has a etched glass reticule. I set it in burris signature rings on weaver mounts. they make a low end 1-5 the echo and a high end 1-5 the eterna. danny

Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Henry McCann »

Thanks much for your help. Thanks especially for the scoped 99 pics Old Savage and BigSky56 for the scope picture. Just the kind of information I was looking for.

I haven't researched scopes in over twenty years. I usually bowhunt with a recurve or longbow and when I've carried a rifle its been a older lever only drilled for peep sights. I've really come to like peep sights.

I have an EG with a peep already and when this 99 EG came up for sale at a fair price that had been drilled and tapped I thought it would be nice to have a scoped lever. ( I might shoot a coyote or two.)

BigSky56...if you're the same gentleman, do you still shoot a 71?
"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet; but have a plan on how to kill them." General Mattis
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Yup still hunt it occasionally. I have been using a 99 more than not, I worked up a good predator round using a fmc bullet makes a little hole in&out saves the fur, I load a 180 for elk seems to knock them down just fine. danny
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

My 99 was manufactured in 1941, .250 sav. It wears a fixed power Leupold 6x because that's what I had lying around. It has worked very well for me and I have no complaints. All that said...One of these days, if I ever get around to it, I would enjoy finding an "old-school" steel Lyman or Weaver...4x or so for that rifle. Just "because". :)
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Henry McCann »

Thanks again to all that have posted!

Brett