I found a Model 64!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

I found a Model 64!

Post by geobru »

Last weekend I stopped by the local perveyor of things that go bang to look at 22 pistols, and saw a 1950 vintage model 64 in 32 Special on the used gun rack. I tried to ignore it, but today I stopped in to see if it was still there and made an offer on it that was accepted and it followed me home. This is obviously not a safe queen judging by the scars it carries, but what a neat rifle!
Last edited by geobru on Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: I found a Model 64!

Post by Griff »

Congrats George. The Deer Hunter's Rifle is one of Winchester's finest!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Thanks Griff. This has been on my bucket list for a while now. There is a certain "something" about this particular model that is classic to me.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Not being a safe queen doesn't seem to bother many in this forum. Congratulations!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

AND a .32! :mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Hobie wrote:AND a .32! :mrgreen:
+1 to that!
Congrats on the good score, George. Maybe you can talk Hobie out of the Redfield sight he just beat me to a few days ago. That would top it off perfect!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Good find there! I've always been attracted to the model 64. My Grandad had one in 30-30 with factory cut checkering.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Cool, grats. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Nice Rifle,someone got a tad bit aggressive with the old sandpaper but it wont hurt the shootin of it. Heck if it had to be a Safe Queen to follow Me home I wouldn't have any Guns. Good Score.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

earlmck wrote:
+1 to that!
Congrats on the good score, George.
+2!! I would gladly hunt with that rifle, just as it is.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Nice find.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The old gal is beautiful, and will waltz you around the floor with great style, and aplomb.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I don't know how you could ignore that.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

earlmck wrote:
+1 to that!
Congrats on the good score, George. Maybe you can talk Hobie out of the Redfield sight he just beat me to a few days ago. That would top it off perfect!
HA! I was hoping to find such a rifle that I could afford! :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Removed
Last edited by cshold on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very nice. Wishing you years of enjoyment
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Like most of my Winchesters, Its got just the right amount of wear & tear on it
great gun, like the 32

ollogger
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Geobru: How is the bore? I have always had a hankering for a 64 myself. I believe Francis Sell wrote an article about the 64 in one of the old Gun Digests from the classic John Amber era.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Geobru: How is the bore? I have always had a hankering for a 64 myself. I believe Francis Sell wrote an article about the 64 in one of the old Gun Digests from the classic John Amber era.
The bore is pristine. This should be a really fine shooter!
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Great find!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
That rifle/caliber is next on my wish list.
Happy shooting. :D

Dave B
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

That's a dandy find..!!!!
I love the lines of the 64's. There was a very nice one on a table at the last Melbourne(FL) gunshow, but in 30/30...I just can't get excited. Now... a .32 is another story altogether...!!!
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

BlaineG wrote:The old gal is beautiful, and will waltz you around the floor with great style, and aplomb.
Blaine, that captures the essence of the 64. "Style and aplomb"! I had never seen one until a few years ago, after I was corrupted by spending too much time on this web site! :twisted: I fell in love with the lines of the rifle.

guido4198 wrote:That's a dandy find..!!!!
I love the lines of the 64's. There was a very nice one on a table at the last Melbourne(FL) gunshow, but in 30/30...I just can't get excited. Now... a .32 is another story altogether...!!!
Guido, My initial reaction was that I would have preferred to find a 30-30, just so I wouldn't have to reload another caliber. After seeing some of the comments in this thread, it seems that I might have lucked out!
Hobie wrote:
earlmck wrote:
+1 to that!
HA! I was hoping to find such a rifle that I could afford! :lol:
What kind of sight would go on this? Any descriptive numbers that I should watch out for?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

GeoBro,
Nice snag dude! :D Those babies are getting harder and harder to find. The trajectory will be lots flatter than your 40-82 and you just might get tired of that old 86 and sell her to me. :D

Your 64 is factory d&t for a receiver sight. If you want to stay in the vintage years, mount a nice all steel Lyman 56 or even a 66. She will shoot, fer sure! As you may or may not know, the 32 Spl. makes for a fine cast bullet shooter.---------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

1894c

Post by 1894c »

LUCKY... :)
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Congratulations on that 64. I have long admired them and have yet to snag one.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

geobru wrote:What kind of sight would go on this? Any descriptive numbers that I should watch out for?
Both Lyman and Williams are still making just what you need. You just need one for the old '94 style (side mount-- your baby is drilled/tapped for this, those 2 little screws close together on the left rear of the receiver) which is the most common one they sell. I was just thinking it would be kinda' nice to have one of the old steel sights so the blue would match better. The new sights are made of aluminum; they work just fine and will not look out of place -- maybe just not as perfectly "period correct".

Looking in my Midway catalog, the Williams 5D (your cheapest option) is part # 583-902. Their FP sight, which has the click adjustments is #198-988.

Hmmm... I don't see the Lyman listed. I wonder if they quit making them?

Anyway, the Williams will do you fine if you have to settle for "new" :D
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Sixgun wrote:GeoBro,
Nice snag dude! :D Those babies are getting harder and harder to find. The trajectory will be lots flatter than your 40-82 and you just might get tired of that old 86 and sell her to me. :D

Sixgun
You are right. When I was hunting with that heavy old 86 this year, I did get tired of carrying it around.......

So I leaned it up against a tree and admired the heck out of it! :lol: :lol:

I ran into a guy on the mountain this year that remembered me because he recognized the 86. 8)

The 64 has a better trajectory and is a LOT lighter, but I don't think you should hold your breath, waiting for me to sell her to you! :wink: :lol:
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Sixgun wrote:
Your 64 is factory d&t for a receiver sight. If you want to stay in the vintage years, mount a nice all steel Lyman 56 or even a 66. She will shoot, fer sure! As you may or may not know, the 32 Spl. makes for a fine cast bullet shooter.---------------Sixgun
earlmck wrote: Both Lyman and Williams are still making just what you need. You just need one for the old '94 style (side mount-- your baby is drilled/tapped for this, those 2 little screws close together on the left rear of the receiver) which is the most common one they sell. I was just thinking it would be kinda' nice to have one of the old steel sights so the blue would match better. The new sights are made of aluminum; they work just fine and will not look out of place -- maybe just not as perfectly "period correct".

Looking in my Midway catalog, the Williams 5D (your cheapest option) is part # 583-902. Their FP sight, which has the click adjustments is #198-988.

Hmmm... I don't see the Lyman listed. I wonder if they quit making them?

Anyway, the Williams will do you fine if you have to settle for "new" :D
Thanks for the info on the sights guys!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun beat me to it! +1
I have a few and the one i hunt with is a 32 that wears a 56 Lyman. It's an incredible shooter. One of my most accurate Winchesters.
Great score by the way.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Doggone it, I keep coming back to this thread and the drool pool just gets bigger ....
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Doggone it, I keep coming back to this thread and the drool pool just gets bigger ....
I know what you mean, Bill -- that is my favorite configuration in a levergun, the 24" barrel and 3/4 magazine. In my case I scratched the itch with the Marlin equivalent -- the old 336A though I have yet to acquire one in 32.

Here's my main shooter (30/30) which is set up with a Lyman receiver sight (no, geobru, you can't have this one -- it's busy). This shows why many folks prefer the Win 64 -- I'll guessing the Marlin 336A weighs about a pound more than the Win 64. (And for you fellers that wonder why the picture is so small -- for us folks not using photobucket, you've got to do a mouse click on our pictures to get 'em up to full size. Do that and you'll be able to see this fellow fully loaded with sling is pushing awful close to 9#).
Marlin30loaded.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, that right there is a classic lever workhorse, but you are right -- the Marlins are just not as trim as the Winchesters.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

earlmck wrote:
Here's my main shooter (30/30) which is set up with a Lyman receiver sight (no, geobru, you can't have this one -- it's busy).
What do you mean busy?? Looks like its just sitting there to me! :D

Nice looking rifle Earl.
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

Nice find! I found a 64 Deluxe in 32 spl. About 2 months ago and it came home with me
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Imagine the stories that ole rifle could tell. :D

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Henry McCann »

Of course I'm jealous...congrats!!!
"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet; but have a plan on how to kill them." General Mattis
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Mossyaok, and the reason we have not yet seen photos of your 64 Deluxe would be ...

:?:
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Mossyaok, and the reason we have not yet seen photos of your 64 Deluxe would be ...

:?:
Here ya go Bill:Made in 1952

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Mossyoak, thanks for sharing views of that gorgeous rifle! Does she shoot as good as she looks?
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Mossyoak, thanks for sharing views of that gorgeous rifle! Does she shoot as good as she looks?
Bill,it shoots dead on at 50 yards,I took the peep sight off, couldn't hit the side of a barn from inside the barn,but with the ramp sight it's dead on.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

That is one very nice rifle! :mrgreen:

The first 64 that I saw was a deluxe rifle. It was all downhill after that! :P
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Geobru: Had to bump this thread to see if we can wheedle a range report out of you. I have my eye peeled for a 64 now, thanks to you!

:? :lol:
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Geobru: Had to bump this thread to see if we can wheedle a range report out of you. I have my eye peeled for a 64 now, thanks to you!

:? :lol:
Bill, I haven't had a chance to shoot mine yet due to the early sunsets at this time of year, and the weekends have been rainy or busy..

However........

I was so anxious to know how it shoots, that I took it over to a friends place and had him shoot a few through it.

He was surprised at the light trigger pull on this gun. I don't have a gauge, but it has a nice light trigger pull.

At 35 yards, it shot a tight cloverleaf, 5" high and an inch to the left. He lowered the elevator to the lowest setting and it was still 2" high. The screw on the sight was frozen after decades of sitting there unturned. I removed the sight and took it to another friend who had a screwdriver that fit the screw and he got it loose. I lowered the slide but haven't had a chance to sight it in. I'll take some pics and do a range report when I finally get to shoot it.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Geobru: I'm sure you'll get your 64 dialed in. I hear you about short days and sloppy weather. We have snow here this morning, on top of the mud ...
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Geobru: I'm sure you'll get your 64 dialed in. I hear you about short days and sloppy weather. We have snow here this morning, on top of the mud ...
Same here. Yuck!! :|