Anybody collect Ginseng?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Anybody collect Ginseng?

Post by SteveR »

I am out looking for some and was wondering if anybody else looks for it?

Steve
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Anybody collect Ginseng?

Post by Blaine »

No.....Is the price still good for the wild stuff?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I know where exactly one plant is on our property - was tempted to buy a bear-trap to put around it.

Never used it or sold it, except one time I sold a 5 gallon bucket-full of the stuff as a kid. The same car was parked on our property twice in one summer (first time gets you a note on your windshield), so the second time, since they had a huge amount of ginseng drying on their rear-window-ledge, I found that they'd accidentally parked under a concrete-block-tree, and unfortunately, one of the concrete-blocks had fallen and smashed their window, so I rescued the ginseng and sold it to a guy who had actually asked if he could roam our property and look for it (we'd said 'no', since we didn't want any of our flora/fauna consumed other than by ourselves). At least THAT guy asked, so I sold it to him at probably a loss.

Back then, the sheriff deputy just smiled when I said there were some 'concrete-block-trees' on our property that sometimes people parked under. The guy was behind a cut-chain gate, after all, plus our neighbor to the north was worse than me - he either set FIRE to any vehicles parked on his property, or flipped them over onto their roofs with his backhoe. :twisted:

Anyway, I guess from what patients tell me, there IS a good market for ginseng....
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

BlaineG wrote:No.....Is the price still good for the wild stuff?
I am not sure of the price for wild or any of the grown stuff. I just got into to it recently and I have some questions about how the wild plants grow. But I saw on the net prices like 750-900 dollars per pound of dried wild american.

Steve
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

AJMD429 wrote:I know where exactly one plant is on our property - was tempted to buy a bear-trap to put around it.

Never used it or sold it, except one time I sold a 5 gallon bucket-full of the stuff as a kid. The same car was parked on our property twice in one summer (first time gets you a note on your windshield), so the second time, since they had a huge amount of ginseng drying on their rear-window-ledge, I found that they'd accidentally parked under a concrete-block-tree, and unfortunately, one of the concrete-blocks had fallen and smashed their window, so I rescued the ginseng and sold it to a guy who had actually asked if he could roam our property and look for it (we'd said 'no', since we didn't want any of our flora/fauna consumed other than by ourselves). At least THAT guy asked, so I sold it to him at probably a loss.

Back then, the sheriff deputy just smiled when I said there were some 'concrete-block-trees' on our property that sometimes people parked under. The guy was behind a cut-chain gate, after all, plus our neighbor to the north was worse than me - he either set FIRE to any vehicles parked on his property, or flipped them over onto their roofs with his backhoe. :twisted:

Anyway, I guess from what patients tell me, there IS a good market for ginseng....
LOL I love the idea of cement trees. I have nail trees around my property.

I have been chewing on some of the wild roots lately and I really feel a lot better both physically and mentally.

I have been out picking wild mushrooms and I think finding mushrooms is a lot easier than Ginseng. I have found some decent amounts of ginseng, but the roots are not bulbous like ones that are grown on farms.

Steve
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My first Ex-FIL, A Korean, was in the ginseng tea business. I had access to all the free Instant Ginseng Tea I could drink. Tasted like mud tea, and I could not tell that it did any good. My memory is getting so bad, I may give it another chance if I could know that it would really help, or, is it an old wives tale. :?:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

BlaineG wrote:My first Ex-FIL, A Korean, was in the ginseng tea business. I had access to all the free Instant Ginseng Tea I could drink. Tasted like mud tea, and I could not tell that it did any good. My memory is getting so bad, I may give it another chance if I could know that it would really help, or, is it an old wives tale. :?:
I have eaten, drunk and had it rubbed on me. I'm sure it does something but what it is that it does I do not know. It appears that it is running $350-1000 a pound depending on whether it is wild or cultivated.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

When I lived in WV a lot of people there use to go "sangin" as they called it.

I think it was easier to find after the leaves had fallen, like when you were out squirrel hunting. At least it was for me. I never was very good at spotting it though.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hobie wrote:
BlaineG wrote:My first Ex-FIL, A Korean, was in the ginseng tea business. I had access to all the free Instant Ginseng Tea I could drink. Tasted like mud tea, and I could not tell that it did any good. My memory is getting so bad, I may give it another chance if I could know that it would really help, or, is it an old wives tale. :?:
I have eaten, drunk and had it rubbed on me. I'm sure it does something but what it is that it does I do not know. It appears that it is running $350-1000 a pound depending on whether it is wild or cultivated.
You were not rubbing in the right spot.... :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

BlaineG wrote:
Hobie wrote:

:D :lol: :D :lol: that's funny right there....I think they still do that stuff on Hooker Hill in Seoul !!

That made my day! Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

BlaineG wrote:
Hobie wrote:
:lol: You were in the good old ROK. It is everywhere and big business and farmed (but they don't get a return for something like 12 years!).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

I have been finding some plants, talked with the State dept of Conservation about some of the plants I found, they have more than one plant/stem from one root, they said they have not heard of that before. Anybody else find any with more than one stem/plant from the same root?

Steve
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have heard that Daniel Boone used to sell ginseng. My information could be wrong, but I know that ginseng has been used for several thousand years, if not longer.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Before you get starry eyed thinking of your riches, do research on what you have to do to legally collect it and sell it in your state. They all vary, but I do know the state of Ohio is quite restrictive on how, when and where you can collect.

Don't know of anyone that has gone to the slammer because of it, but I'd sure hate to be the guy the wildlife people get to make an example of.