North of Amarillo?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

North of Amarillo?

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:D Hey all!
Anyone live in this area? I've been enamored with this area recently. Just wondering what's to do in that area? hunting/fishing/hiking/camping, etc also the panhandle of Oklahoma too. Thinking of planning a trip that direction. What ya say anyone.........

Thanks, Tom .....AKA "the Wanderer" as the wife likes to phrase :lol:
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: North of Amarillo?

Post by 86er »

Good pheasant hunting around Guymon, OK in December. Also the Guymon Rodeo.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Lots of prairie dogs in Cimarron county OK. Very big antique tractor salvage in Boise City. Black Mesa. We used to go to Clayton to La Paloma for Mexican food, really good. Guess there's not much.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I've hauled close to 100 loads of alfalfa hay from southern Idaho and Wyoming into the area, several large organic dairys located there around Dalhart, and south toward Armadillo... was always glad I didn't live there.. FLAT country.. saw a few antelope and a few pheasant and some prarie dogs.. all private.. not much to tempt me there... I did enjoy a hunt last winter in the Palo Duro canyon with a small outfitter.. got two nice boar hogs 'bout 90# each over feeders.. That is a few miles south of Armadillo.. JMHO Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Antelope and jack-rabbits, ... and convenient stretches of highway that go somewhere else. It's fairly scenic though.

Palo Duro canyon is SE of Amarillo. Kinda pretty. Totally unexpected.

A saving grace to compensate for the miles of emptiness and hours of driving is there's so many beef processing operations up that way that when you make a pit-stop you'll be able to get a heck of a good steak.

But... the best thing about that part of the state is if you're going north anyway, eventually you'll be in Colorado.

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Lake Meredith is a walleye fishery
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fi ... /meredith/

but I think I would keep going into NM.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I lived there for a number of years (Pampa and Booker) and have traveled all over the northern panhandle. The people are salt of the earth, and the weather can be harsh, but nothing to a guy from Rhode Island. Phesant, quail, drove and deer hunting are to be found as well as varmints if that is you bag. Lot of ducks and geese in the Oklahoma Panhandle. A number of good fishing lakes as well in both Texas and Oklahoma.

You will find land much cheaper in Oklahoma than in Texas. If you want to live in a town it won't make a difference.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

FWiedner wrote:Antelope and jack-rabbits, ... and convenient stretches of highway that go somewhere else. It's fairly scenic though.
That's no joke! :lol: We were through there twice a couple of weeks ago and other than fencing, scrub and mesquite all I saw were miles and miles of miles and miles. I was convinced the GPS had taken a giant leap away from it's good senses when it steered us off of 287. There were a couple of back road State highways (1061 and 385 I think) that made me wish I was in my Mitsu Lancer GTS instead of "her car" though... :wink:
FWiedner wrote:But... the best thing about that part of the state is if you're going north anyway, eventually you'll be in Colorado.
And that's why we were going through there, headed to and from Colorado. That part of NM connecting Texas and Colorado ain't got just a whole lot to look at either until you start getting closer to Raton....
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

IIRC someone posted a picture several months ago of HUNDREDS of rattlesnakes near a den in that part of Texas. Anyone else remember that one? Sure gave me the creeps! :shock:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Before planning a trip to Lake Meredith, you might want to check with the Texas Fish and Game dept. to see just how low the lake really is. The Marina on the lake has been on dry land so long it is no longer going to float when and if the water gets back up to it. It was a great Walleye lake, but it has been very low for 2 years at least.

Anyway, do stop and see the Old West town of Tascosa. It is a ghost town, but it has featured in many western novels. When the railroad went to Amarillo, Tascosa died. North of there at Canadian, as you are a little South of town, you can see the welded metal dinosaur on the plateau that some man made for his wife.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

awp101 wrote: And that's why we were going through there, headed to and from Colorado. That part of NM connecting Texas and Colorado ain't got just a whole lot to look at either until you start getting closer to Raton....
drive through the Mora drainage south of Angel Fire sometime - Coyote Creek.
It's like a little rainforest in the middle of New Mexico.

Let's see, Taos, Santa Fe, Chama, Costilla Creek, Corkins Meadow, the Brazos - yeah, keep driving.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I wanted to love that area. My grandmother grew up on a ranch on the Canadian just upstream from the Turkey Track Ranch (site of the Adobe Walls battle) in a town called Plemmons, which no longer exists. It is just south of Stennett. If you can get access to the breaks of the Canadian, there's some lovely country there, but up on top it is pretty flat and kind of vanishes in that Great Plains natural aerosol/haze. I despaired for the lack of public lands, but coming from Oregon, where more than half the state is public and open, that might be understandable.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I rode the Scoot a bit north of that area in the OK panhandle, and up into KS.....Great, friendly folks. Everything looked hardscrabble :( It's pretty clear times are tough. Lot's of farms/cattle. A little too flat to want to live there, but I sure enjoyed the ride.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Thanks for all the answers! I think it might turn into a two week trip through Colorado, Oklahoma, N. Texas, and New Mexico. :lol:

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!