Savage Combo-guns are back...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Savage Combo-guns are back...

Post by AJMD429 »

.22 LR or .22 WMR over .410 gauge 8)

http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/Model42
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Udy
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Savage Combo-guns are back...

Post by Udy »

Good grief. I never been so excited and then so disapointed that quickly in my life.
That is about the ugliest dang thing I ever seen. Could they make a bit more traditional one perhaps.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

i have a model 24, 3 inch 20 gauge and 30-30. I have had it about 20 -25 years, a good combination.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The brothers Quinn did a test of one over on gunblast.com.

The review looked really good till I went to the Savage website and saw the MSRP. :x :x
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Want one in 30-06/12ga ?????????????
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Yuck. They pulled a page out of the Ruger and Taurus book of ugly.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Udy wrote:Good grief. I never been so excited and then so disapointed that quickly in my life.
That is about the ugliest dang thing I ever seen. Could they make a bit more traditional one perhaps.
My thoughts exactly... :shock:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Didn't care for the Combo guns back when. I thought the originals were very nearly the ugliest, clunkiest guns I'd ever seen.

These don't look too different, just a bit of an update to give them a hint of the evil blackness.

Actually, I think the black syntethic stock adds an air of utility to the inate ugly clunkiness. Kinda like, it's black, so you don't have to look at it real close to realize it's danged ugly.

I'd like to check one out to see how they handle.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Unless built as a classic drilling or as a brazed barrel O/U a combo gun will always look like ... well...

But the concept is sound and useful.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Yep, took a nice classic design and "tacti-cooled" it to death...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

mikld wrote:Yep, took a nice classic design and "tacti-cooled" it to death...
Actually, the Polymer stock is less of an issue to me than the gap-tooth barrels.

IMO a gun like that SHOULD have a polymer stock and SHOULD be in Stainless Steel (black or otherwise).

But the whole separated barrel thing just looks Bakail cheezy to me.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Udy wrote:Good grief. I never been so excited and then so disapointed that quickly in my life.
That makes two of us. But I guess they don't try to make things for traditionalists these days. They are aiming at a younger consumer demographic. Heck, if they'd have at least put a plywood stock (and I'm sure most have read my opinion of those) I'd consider it.

But, it might make a nice start if someone makes an aftermarket set of wood for it.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

olyinaz wrote:Yuck. They pulled a page out of the Ruger and Taurus book of ugly.

Oly
Close, I think they were influenced by Mossberg. We need a puke icon.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

Cabela's in Boise had a well used Stevens 22 over 410 marked for$479 this morning. Personally I like the black synthetic stock and black finish. The red trim is over the top though.

Chris
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

madman4570 wrote:Want one in 30-06/12ga ?????????????
Saw one in .308/12ga and in .223/20ga on the same gun-show table about 20 years ago; they were $250 apiece, and back than I just thought that was too much money for either one... :oops: Now I realize I should'a got both.

I STILL think if a company would make a regular over-under shotgun, with an extractor-cut-like cut for aligning them all to the same position each time, one could make such a gun with several inserts available, complete with a rifled-barrel the length of the shotgun tube, and at the muzzle a way to adjust them individually for accurate regulation. A fitted but mobile collar around the end of the barrel somewhat like a scope's reticle-adjustment tube, using set-screws and with a nylon or other surface so as not to scratch-up the inside of the shotgun barrel, would be SO cool...

You could go afield with your shotgun combined with anything from .22 LR or .22 WMR, to .22 Hornet, .32-20, .223, .357 Mag, .444 Marlin, .308, or whatever. Even put an insert in both shotgun barrels and have a .22 LR / .45-70 combo gun.

I need a machine-shop and a patent-laywer... :(
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jeepnik wrote:Close, I think they were influenced by Mossberg. We need a puke icon.

Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I've shot a few older 24's over the years, from the era in which they actually put sights on them. Those guns were fairly easy to hit with. IMO the most useful ones were the 357/20's, which fetch a pile of money these days.

The 42 appears to have plastic 'sorta' sights and a MSRP ofaround $450; street price might be a tad less. You can still pick up used 870s here for $200 or so, sometimes with screw-in chokes. The other $150 could go towards a used Ruger/other .22 pistol and you'd be much better outfitted for a wider range of uses.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I saw an old one at the show today. 22mag and 20ga for 420$$ Very tempting.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
1894c

Post by 1894c »

i like it...i also like the Yankees, spamoni, and a tupperware auto (Glock 30SF) for my woods gun...i'm bad... :)
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

""IF"" it will shoot accurately and reliably I can see it's usefulness.

However my opinion of the way it looks is cheap and Chinese made junque. I would not buy one if someone gave me the money. I'd go buy a used Ruger first.

Joe
Last edited by J Miller on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I'll just bite my tounge, but pretty much what everyone else thinks.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I should add that although I happily provided a puke-icon for others to express their dislike of the poor thing - I actually think it looks just like I'd wand a 'survival' gun to look - ditch the nostalgic and beautiful wood and use durable black plastic. Maybe even camo plastic. . . :o :D

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I like wood. I don't like plastic. I don't like camo plastic even more. Being an anachronism puts me at odds with many people and opinions, but there's not one thing wrong with wood stocks and blued steel.
Our ancestors were using wood and steel guns as real genuine survival guns long before plastics were ever dreamed up. They're still my tool of choice.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

wish I had mine back.....
410/22
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I actually handled one at WalMart, Joe. Seems like the were nearly $400 but I didn't pay attention as actually purchasing one was the farthest thing from my mind. Three distinct first impressions.

1) They are very, very ugly.
2) They are very light, surprisingly so.
3) The gun mounts to the shoulder well, comfortably and the sights are easily acquired. Points for stock functionality.

The rationale in producing a flat black gun, with bright red lettering down the side of it, escapes me. Maybe that's so you don't lose it when you lean it up against a black oak, to take a whiz. I expect they'll sell a pile of these to folks who'll shoot big paper targets with them on an indoor range and never see it's sights against a living thing.

It'd be easy for an old country boy to pooh-pooh such an arrangement, but those folks vote too.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote:Our ancestors were using wood and steel guns as real genuine survival guns long before plastics were ever dreamed up.
Yeah, maybe - but what did they know about 'survival' - I'll bet they never even played paint-ball, or had any survival-games for their computers. Sheessh...

natedontgo
Levergunner 1.0

Post by natedontgo »

Cabela's Boise---$479-----Great ball o'fire--what do they think they have,a Tikka or Valmet..???? Nate
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

J Miller wrote:I like wood. I don't like plastic. I don't like camo plastic even more. Being an anachronism puts me at odds with many people and opinions, but there's not one thing wrong with wood stocks and blued steel.
Our ancestors were using wood and steel guns as real genuine survival guns long before plastics were ever dreamed up. They're still my tool of choice.

Joe
I'm pretty sure that their ancestors before them probably looked down on them new-fangled noisy pea-shooters and smoke poles.

Ater all sharp sticks, heavy rocks, and snares were what their daddy used, and they seemed to get along just fine.

:lol:
Last edited by FWiedner on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What Udy said +1 !!!! YUCK !!!
Paste PUKE smilie here! _________
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

http://www.gunblast.com/Savage-42.htm wrote:The Model 42 is a modernized version of an old classic. It is lighter, shorter, and handier than its predecessor. While the new Model 42 might not be as visually appealing to traditional shooters, the old Model 24 was not exactly a handsome gun. The beauty of the new Model 42 lies in its versatility, handiness, and function. It is like the multi-tool of the firearms world, providing shooters a variety of ammunition choices in one handy package.

Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

I had one years ago in 357 mag over 20 Ga. LOVED it !!! Had the chamber reamed to 357 MAX. It was a great little combo Used 35 Rem ( etc) and 180 Single Shot Bullets in it and it was a real Great little gun CLOSELY approached 35 Rem Velocities . 20- Ga was 3 in. so it was a great combo SORRY I sold it !!! looked way BETTER THAN THE NEW ONES I was stunned also looking at the new ones Would STILL be interested in one in 357 and then have a custom stock made !!
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

I agree a 357 over 20 guage would have me reaching for my wallet. I'm pretty sure I could cure the guady red trim problem.

Chris
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Just like those little Synth black Ruger 10/22s... Nothing a can of spray paint doesn't cure..

Oh, you have a combo options in wood through EAA. 12g-30.06, 12g-308, 12g-223.. even 12g-45.70, 410-22 and others
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.