New kid - new 94

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jshinal
Levergunner

New kid - new 94

Post by jshinal »

Well, not THAT new - just new to this board. Always wanted a lever rifle and recently indulged myself at a local show.

Found an old-fashioned dealer who didn't believe in overcharging, and he sold me a 1970s era Plane Jane 94 top ejector for $375. Little carry rash, OK bore, a few dings.
(in pic)

Twenty years passage since I last shot one, and now I realize I'm going to need to upgrade the sights. I like the Willaims FP with the Firesight front blade - but ....

.... will I need a standard or tall front sight ? I will be sighting-in using the 150gr Federal 3030A and my handloads will attempt to replicate the same.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions !

-John
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New kid - new 94

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Welcome aboard :D My 94 didnt need a taller sight when I peeped it. Used that way for 25 years and in '05 I puta firesight on it that came in a packge deal from Midway that had both Marlin and Winchester front sights with the FP peep sight Todd/ 3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Welcome !! A new Lever and a Picture of same 8) ,You are off to a good start. Pull up a stump and Sit a spell.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Nothing wrong with a little carry rash; that describes 1/2 of my guns! Welcome, glad to have you.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

off to a great start
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

John,

Welcome to the forum.

I've had a bunch of Win 94s and put both Williams and Lyman peep sights on many of them. I've never needed a taller front sight. I didn't keep the factory bead sights though, I always ditch the bead in favor of a post or sourdough sight.
That makes for a much better sight picture.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Welcome and looking good.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Great first post. Welcome. You should not need a new front sight
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Haven't done it on a Winchester, but love the FP plus Firesight on a Marlin and Rossi or two. The tiny brass bead Marlin front sight I like too, though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

welcome....and great first post....
congrats on your new toy........enjoy it!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Welcome. If you mount a FP94/36 or Lyman you will not need a new front sight even with the 150 gr. load. Well some do but I have always wondered just how they are actually seeing/using/looking through those sights.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to the Forum.

EXCELLENT first post. Nice lookin' '94!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

jshinal wrote:will I need a standard or tall front sight ? I will be sighting-in using the 150gr Federal 3030A
Like the fellers are telling you, no need for a taller front sight just because you are changing to the peep. I would be tempted to shoot a few rounds with the present open sights, though. With my old '94, it is on the third notch up the rear-sight ramp when sighted in at 100 yards. If I were going to put a receiver sight on it I'd be looking at getting a front sight a bit lower than the factory. Or you might find you are still 5" high with the rear-sight ramp removed. That would be a good indicator you should get a taller front sight, even if you keep the factory open sights.

There is enough variation in individual guns it would be good to make sure yours shoots pretty much normal with your chosen ammo before deciding on a front sight height. So if yours plunks 'em in there about the right elevation with the ramp on first or second notch, then the height that's in there is the height you want to stay with. And that fire sight sure is visible, even for us mature fellows with old-man eyes. Love 'em!

And welcome to the firing line!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Gary
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gary »

Welcome to Leverguns and welcome to the "I've got a 70's Winchester '94 too!" club!

Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Welcome to the forum. And as previously mentioned an excellent first post!
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

I'm in the 'seventies '94 club too...

I am a bit ambivalent about receiver peep sights nowadays...I used to accept that they were more accurate and faster to aquire a target as everyone always says, but I found with my last two .30/30 '94's, that I was getting the same sized groups at 100 yards with the standard open sights as I was with the Lyman 66 aperture.
For hunting I pulled the insert out, as you do, and went with the thinner 'ghost ring' and did well with it, but also had a couple of spectacularly bewildering misses...which isn't to say that I never miss, but even so.
I think the ghost ring thing works well untill it doesn't...I may have not evenbeen looking through the ring at a couple of deer in the heat of the moment.
I went back to standard Winchester open sights. If the rifle fits you well, then speed of target aquisition is no issue, and as I have discovered, I havn't found much lacking in accuracy compared to a receiver peep sights either....

I would shoot it with the standard sights first, and try and get used to them before you discard the notion of using the normal standard sights out of hand.

A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Welcome...good score!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Welcome!

Be careful cleaning that series gun. Nothing wrong with it, it's a great gun, however the receiver is a scintered metal that has a thin plating that was put there to take blue as the base metal won't. Keep it oiled and do not scrub it with anything other than cloth and it will last. If there is any bubbling of the finish leave it alone as it travels way farther than it appears.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Welcome !!
:D
Thanks for posting! Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

earlmck wrote:
There is enough variation in individual guns it would be good to make sure yours shoots pretty much normal with your chosen ammo before deciding on a front sight height.
yup :!:

and welcome home. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I'm glad that this 94 was adopted into a good home.

Williams still makes a great receiver sight.

TR

Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!