Can you tell me about the Browning BLR?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
.Dirty-.Thirty
Levergunner 2.0

Can you tell me about the Browning BLR?

Post by .Dirty-.Thirty »

I went to a pawn shop yesterday that I have bought probably 5 levers from in the last 5 years just looking for something Marlin, but not of the 336 type. All I found was half a dozen 336's all in .30-30 and also was a Browning BLR in either .270win or .243win, price looked to be $500, although i can probably get it closer to $400, it had a scope as well. I never even handled the gun but I think it had a pistol grip instead of a straight grip. I could tell the blueing on the barrel looked rough, but now thinking about it I am gonna go back and look it over again. Are these rifles with handloads known for outstanding accuracy or are they considered mediocre? Are some models more valuable than others? Is there any known pros and cons of handloading for one of these and trouble over bullet seating length to lands or problems of the magazine? I know nothing about these except they look pretty neat and can shoot some long range whiz bangers while working a lever. Can you tell me about them and a good used price? .DT
Marlin Owner....Henry Owner....Winchester Owner
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Re: Can you tell me about the Browning BLR?

Post by Leverdude »

Most people prefer the Belgian made guns but the recent Miroku guns are very nice too. They just say "made in Japan" on them but are of equal quality IMO. The newer ones have a flush mag while the Belgian ones the mag sticks out the bottom. I have a 7mm08 BLR 81. Its an early all steel straight grip model and I like it very much. It was I think the 3rd levergun I ever bought & I'll probably die with it. The only issue is the triggers are tough to work on & the guns themselves are tough to get apart & back together again. In that regard the best advice I can give is just dont take it apart. Theres nothing in there anyway.
That sounds like a decent price if its in decent shape.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I have the BLR (japan) pistol grip in 308. It has never shot to my expectations, but my expectations were (are) pretty high. With lighter weight bullets, (165 and 150's) it shoots as well as any bolt I have save the Sako .243. It doesn't like the heavier bullets as much, but still plenty good for hunting. Not afraid at all to haul it out and shoot it at an animal.

personnaly, the guns you described would scare me a bit, especially at those prices. If you want one, find a better used gun or buy a new one.

Trigger pull is too heavy for me, and I had it worked on and made it better (made me shoot better at least)
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Prefer the older allsteel ,straight grip .308 with the protruding mag. It's an excellent comprise between a fast handling brush gun and a 400 yard elk slayer. The Long action rounds increase weight and destroy the fast handling characteristics.Sort of a cross between a 94 30-30 and a bolt action 30-06.
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

I had a Belguim version all steel in 308, shoot great. They do lockup if wet in freezing temps.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Like Marlin32, my early Japanese made BLR prefers the 150's over the 180's. Best group I ever shot with it was a dime sized group at 125 yards off a bench with shot bags for a rest. That gun has accounted for most of the game I have taken over the years, and will not be sold, by me anyway.

I have never shot a newer one, so I cannot say for sure, but most folks say they are accurate, (with some exceptions - there are always exceptions!) The most common complaint is the trigger pull, which is heavy.

Some folks don't like the way they look because they don't have a magazine like a classic lever. Mine was a tool that I used for many years and it never let me down. YMMV
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

If the mag protrudes it is a pre-81. Very nice rifle. Very accurate. The mags run about $200 a piece.

If the mag is flush and it has a steel receiver, it's an 81. Very nice rifle. Very accurate. Mags are $35

If the mag is flush and the receiver is alloy, it's a lightning 81. Very nice rifle. Very accurate. Mags are $35

The Pre-81 rotating bolt lugs lock into the receiver, the 81s lock into the barrel.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

This is an early handload with a .243 81 BLR.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

This is a target I shot with my 308 with handloads.

Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Want to hear how dumb I am? I know a guy who had a "proto-type" of the BLR in 358. Was willing at one time to sell it to me, but at the time, had no use for such nor knowledge of what I had opportunity at. I kick myself everytime I think about it.
.Dirty-.Thirty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .Dirty-.Thirty »

Thanks for the replies...
Marlin Owner....Henry Owner....Winchester Owner
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

I have the 1st type in .358 and with 200-225 jacketed bullets it'll group about 1.5" at 100 yards. I haven't shot jacketed in it in several years as my preference is 200-225 grain cast bullets around 2000 fps which group around 2''. They're great hunting rifles in close cover!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I've owned I think twelve of them. Mostly the older ones but some new ones and all shot very tight groups. I still prefer the old Belgian .308 that is first one I bought and have killed a bunch of whitetails with it. Most of the others I gave to my Grandsons and still have 4 or 5 to go to the Grandchildren. I think they are the perfect hunting rifle and are easy to look at, especially when compared to bolt guns. I had an old sergeant who said, "No one should be made to hunt with an ugly rifle." He used a Winchester 88 in .308 and meant that bolt guns are ugly. I couldn't see much improvement in the looks of the 88.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

The most modern version has an alloy alluminum receiver. It is strong and the barrel has the locking lugs included so the rifle is tough.

I owned a steel version years ago and liked the rifle but not the caliber for prairie hunting. It scoped easily and locked like a bank vault and delivered inch 3 shot groups in a 243. The external hammer puts it in a class above many levers in my book. I always feel an external hammer offers the best safety performance for a working gun.

Hobie has an outstanding article on the BLR on his blog, I'll try and find the link later.
seasidehunter
Levergunner

Post by seasidehunter »

I would love to have one in take down version

beautiful rifles. Would be awesome with scout scope mounted on barrel.

anyone know how accurate that would be?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

seasidehunter wrote:I would love to have one in take down version

beautiful rifles. Would be awesome with scout scope mounted on barrel.

anyone know how accurate that would be?
I have a .358 Win that shoots 1.25" with my hand loads developed for a different rifle.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com